PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A Quality Used Table Saw for Christmas

MagicMtnDan
12-17-2003, 07:30 AM
for home use. Anyone know where I can find one in SoCal (so I can pick it up)?
I'm looking for a good quality table saw (not a bench saw) - I'd rather get a good used one than a low-quality brand new one. It's my Christmas present to myself - I'm gonna start building some stuff for the house (shelves, some furniture, re-do the closets, etc.).
Thanks!

BiggusJimbus
12-17-2003, 09:19 AM
Find one with a decent flat cast surface, don't worry too much about the fence.
Then replace the fence with a good Biesmeyer style fence (or some other good fence). I have a POS Sears table I've had for 15 years, put a Powermatic fence on it (Really a relabeled Biesmeyer), and now it works great.
Be sure and take the time to tune up your saw regularly, and keep your blades sharp.
And for god sake, be careful around these things. I can tell you about how fast bad shit happens. I got away lucky, but will never again underestimate what kind of havoc it can wreak.

HOOTER SLED-
12-17-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I have one that's a good brand, but it's kind of a peace of shit.. (I got it for free awhile back)
You can have it for free if you want it.
RD
Hey, what do ya know? Free shit. Have a scoop. :D
Dan I have a Ryobi bench top one. Works as good as a full size one. I think they are around $500 or so. I've had mine for awhile. I think it's a BT3000. They still have them at Home Depot. When I first got it, I wanted one that wasn't a pain in the ass to move around, but still had enough power to do the job. Now they come with a stand w/wheels. Back then mine didn't. I just use mine on one of those Black & Decker portable work benches. You can get several different types of attachments for it too. Like longer side tables, roller stands, dust collector, kit to mount a router to make it a jointer, etc.. I like it. It's pretty versatile, and easy to store. If you were going to do multiple jobs, then I would say spend more and go bigger. But something like this should work for you. I think Dewalt makes one like this that's comparable. The downfalls I see to these smaller saws is the ability to cut full sheets of plywood, and less powerful motors. But then again, the full size shop ones can be pretty spendy. Hope this helps.
HOOTER

BiggusJimbus
12-17-2003, 09:23 AM
My .02.
Don't bother trying to cut full plywood sheets with a table saw unless you have lots of table extensions. It's awkward and potentially inaccurate. You are better off rough cutting with a straight edge and a circular saw then finishing off the cut pieces on the table. I find it to be easier.
Spend the money for good blades. Freud or better. They will improve your results as much as anything.

MagicMtnDan
12-17-2003, 09:25 AM
First of all, thanks RD! That's the Christmas spirit! I don't know how to respond to the offer except for thanks and I'm not sure about the offer - I appreciate it but don't want a POS table saw (not saying it is; not saying it isn't :confused: )...
I've been looking at the Jet, Grizzly, Delta and Powermatic to name a few but the ones I'd like are about $700-$1000 which is more than I want to spend. I need a quality table saw with a decent fence (a good fence if it costs more) and motor with quality wings so stuff I cut with it is square :)
I need to cut 4x8 sheets so a table saw is very preferred over a bench top version. I know they're dangerous and I will try to be very careful.
Thanks everybody for your help (do you know a neighbor or friend with one they might want to sell?). And special thanks to RD for his very generous offer - tis the season to be gifting.

BiggusJimbus
12-17-2003, 09:52 AM
Some interesting deals here...
http://www.biesemeyer.com/specials/index.htm
Might make an OK saw a really good saw.
On cutting plywood sheets.... I still think there are (in my experience) better ways...
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip010810sn.html
Still, need to have a table saw for finishing, beveling, etc.
Good Luck.

al cole'holic
12-17-2003, 10:26 AM
The Depot has the sweet Rigid 10" with laser sight on sale for $249 and the 12" with laser for $299...I back 'em, hell if anything happens to the damn thing you take it back anytime for a replacement.

MagicMtnDan
12-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the help and info and offer (RD) guys!
Gotta find a way to saw up this body before her dad comes around lookin' for her :D

dorC
12-18-2003, 10:32 AM
If you have the coin go Delta. They make some excellent table saws.