PDA

View Full Version : I'm buying Chevy 3/4 ton HD Crew Cab, Which Engine???

Sandbar Mike
12-18-2003, 08:11 AM
I do not want a diesel, I'm in between the 6000 or the 8100 engine.
Do you guys think the 6000 will tow my 29 with out any problems?
Thanks in advance for you input.

beer hunter
12-18-2003, 08:14 AM
The 6.0L would probably tow it OK, but I think you would be much happier with the 8.1L Mike:)

j-rod
12-18-2003, 08:17 AM
Bigger is better I think if you get the 6 you would have wishes you would have got the 8.1L:rolleyes:

PerfectionDtail
12-18-2003, 08:22 AM
I pull 12000# with the 6L. I was amazed how well it actually did. Fuel mileage is the same between the 2. The 8.1 actually gets and extra mile per gallon when towing than the 6L. I have pulled a lot with both.

SoCalOffshore
12-18-2003, 08:29 AM
The 8.1 is a better choice, but the Duramax is superior to both. That's what I purchased and I am glad I did. It tows my 32 Schiada at 75 mph to Havasu.

boxscore
12-18-2003, 08:35 AM
I've got the 6.0 in my '04. It tows damn good, but with 4:10 gears. Wish I'd gone with the 8.1 with higher rear end. The big block doesn't work half as hard. Other times I wish I'd had sprung for that damn duramax!

OGShocker
12-18-2003, 08:39 AM
I read your post and I still say DURAMAX! I hated Diesel engines before I owned one. I will never go back to gas! Takes a while to get use to the shift points but, I had the 8.1 Gas and could not drive past a gas station. That MOFO could burn some fuel... I am getting 14 MPG pulling the boat!
My .02

Steamin' Rice
12-18-2003, 08:44 AM
I have the 8.1 with the Allison transmission and it tows great...The only problem is that I get about 6-8MPG towing and the truck only has a 26 gal fuel tank.......Mine is the x-cab, I think the crew cab has a bigger fuel tank......

Froggystyle
12-18-2003, 08:55 AM
I know you don't want to hear it, but I am in the same boat as OG... I will never own a gas truck again, and I love gas!
This new Duramax with the Edge performance mod is insane. This is twice as much power as I have ever had in any truck, and it gets a little over 17 mpg on the freeway and about 14 towing.
With 37" tires mind you...
Sorry, but if the D-max is available, you should go for that.

Jordy
12-18-2003, 08:57 AM
I'll never buy another truck without a diesel. Put 200,000 on my first one. Got 42K on my current HD. Never going back to gas.

PerfectionDtail
12-18-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Steamin' Rice
I have the 8.1 with the Allison transmission and it tows great...The only problem is that I get about 6-8MPG towing and the truck only has a 26 gal fuel tank.......Mine is the x-cab, I think the crew cab has a bigger fuel tank......
Only the long bed has the bigger tank. I have a crew cab short bed and it is a 26 gallon tank. Next month, I am planning on getting a new tank. There is a 45 gallon tank that replaces the 26 and will fit under the truck where the 26 fits now. It costs about $1000.

MagicMtnDan
12-18-2003, 09:19 AM
I've got a Chevy Avalanche 2500 4x4 with the 8.1L big block in it and I would've gotten the Duramax/Allison combo IF Chevy would've offerred it.
Choice #1: Get the Duramax/Allison
Choice #2: Get the 8.1L big block (comes with HD tranny)
Choice #3: Don't get the 6.0L motor!
Good luck!

Quality Time
12-18-2003, 09:22 AM
PerfectionD,
Where are you getting the 45 gal. tank from? I've got the HD crew as well.
Thanks!

PerfectionDtail
12-18-2003, 09:28 AM
When I pulled a 29' boat with the 6L, I would get 7.3-7.7 MPG on the Highway to Havasu. If there are hills and climbs(such as the road to Powell), that goes to 5.5-6.5. I added an air intake from Pro Dyno(www.prodyno.com) and exhaust and it added 40 HP on the dyno. Did not decrease MPG any, but it did add little.
I have 4.10 gears as well. 70-72 MPH is about the fastest I can go for optimal fuel mileage. I have pulled at 95 MPH+ but the fuel mileage drops to 6.

PerfectionDtail
12-18-2003, 09:31 AM
QT,
The company that makes the tanks is called Transfer Flow. Here is their website, and you can click on Nationwide Installers. I am having mine done at SDHQ in Gilbert, AZ.
http://www.transferflow.com/

DogHouse
12-18-2003, 09:35 AM
Gas tanks here (www.transferflow.com)! Only problem with them is that they hang down a couple inches, not good if you off-road with a stock height truck. Also looks funny IMO because the HDs already show a lot of frame and junk hanging down below the body.
Mike, the 6.0 would get you there and back but the 8.1 would make it much easier and more comfortable. My 8.1 usually got 10-11 in town, 11-12 on the freeway, and 8-9 towing. Occasionally I could see 9-10 towing if I kept it below 60 and no big hills. The 26 gal tank is a limitation for sure when you're getting that kind of mileage. Finally got tired of the huge gas bill every month so now I have a diesel... Even stock it has plenty of power for towing and gets great mileage. Last trip to Havasu was almost 15 mpg towing at 60-65, and 14 on the way back towing at 70. Unloaded I'm getting 18-19 around town.

Party Cat
12-18-2003, 09:37 AM
So far with only a few thousand miles on our CC 4x4 Dually Dmax..I've pulled the Party Cat (at least 7000lbs+) and get 11-12 mpg while going 70+ most of the time....It's hard to keep it under 75.....add another to 'not going back to gas'... :D http://www.irnoyfb.com/dmax/burnoutd.gif http://www.irnoyfb.com/dmax/burnoutd.gif http://www.irnoyfb.com/dmax/burnoutd.gif

rodnjen
I have the Crew 2500 HD with the 6.0 and 4:10's. I tow a 21' Essex and get about 12.0 mpg doing 70 all day. When not towing, I can do 75 with the air on and get 15 mpg.
My only suggestion is that if you tow frequently, then get the bigger motor, gas or diesel. If not, go with the 6.0. I only actually tow my boat 5 or six times/year, the rest of the time I leave it at Havasu. the 6.0 is plenty of motor for 95% of my driving.
Good luck!

Tremor Therapy
I have a 2500 Burb with the 6.0, and for every day driving it is just fine. However, the trip to Havasu can be a bit taxing on that vehicle when towing the Tremor. I can get up to speed, and as long as I do not have to slow down for any reason, staying at speed is no problem. However, anytime I need to slow down, momentum is lost!
If you're gonna go gas.....get the 8.1. The mileage is not that much different, and the vehicle has a larger tank. But like Froggy and Jordy said.......if you can swing it, get the diesel. I'm kicking myself that I didn't, and as soon as I am not upside down in this new Burb, I'm going for it!

Quality Time
12-18-2003, 09:51 AM
PD & DH,
Thanks for the info!

superdave013
12-18-2003, 09:52 AM
My 3/4 ton burban has the 8.1. I've had lots of trouble with it. When it runs it's bad ass.
Things I've had fail on it so far.
broke 2 push rods @ under 700 miles
cam shaft sensor (what ever the **** that is)
crank shaft sensor (dittio above, won't run though with out it)
replaced the computer twice, to bad it was really a crank shaft sensor problem.
Uses a qut of oil in under 3,000 miles. (that bugs me big time)
I've had some other things that were not engine realted too. Had the seal in the trans and output bushing replaced twice. The real problem was the drive shaft was out of round. So that led to a new driveshaft.
This is a 2,000 burb that I bought brand new in Oct, 01.
I very rarely drive it as it's the wife's transpo, not mine.
Oh, right now this truck has less then 35,000 miles on it.
It is very nice but like I said. I've had my share of trouble with it. A co worker bought his the same week. He's is a 1/2 ton with the 6.0. He pulls a 23' boat with ease and has had zero trouble and has over double the miles.

unleashed
12-18-2003, 10:07 AM
Mike when are you going to learn, Go with the diesel. I swore I would never get a diesel but now that I have one I love it and will NEVER go back to gas as long as I am towing.
Deano
unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

BoatFloating
12-18-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Froggystyle
I know you don't want to hear it, but I am in the same boat as OG... I will never own a gas truck again, and I love gas!
This new Duramax with the Edge performance mod is insane. This is twice as much power as I have ever had in any truck, and it gets a little over 17 mpg on the freeway and about 14 towing.
With 37" tires mind you...
Sorry, but if the D-max is available, you should go for that.
Hey Froggy, are you running the 125 HP Edge. That is the one I'm running. Man does that baby move. My wife loves the smoke feature. If someone pisses her off then she gets in front of them and puts the gas down and a big black puff. Kinda like the movie The Great Race, push the button Max.
Mike, it's like when you bought your boat you didn't put a 6.2L motor you went big. The only answer is Duramax!

hot_diggity_dog
12-18-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
Hey Froggy, are you running the 125 HP Edge. That is the one I'm running. Man does that baby move. My wife loves the smoke feature. If someone pisses her off then she gets in front of them and puts the gas down and a big black puff. Kinda like the movie The Great Race, push the button Max.
Mike, it's like when you bought your boat you didn't put a 6.2L motor you went big. The only answer is Duramax!
Mike you have the answers to the test so don't get a C-
;)
I have a 98 Dodge with mods up the wazoo. 400+ HP Bring it on Powerstrokes and Duramax's.:p :p
I just purchased a 2001 CC 4x4 GMC Duramax loaded:D
Hot Diesel Dog:cool:

Havasu Cig
12-18-2003, 10:26 AM
I will never go back to gas either. :cool:

91nordic29
12-18-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by OGShocker
I read your post and I still say DURAMAX! I hated Diesel engines before I owned one. I will never go back to gas! Takes a while to get use to the shift points but, I had the 8.1 Gas and could not drive past a gas station. That MOFO could burn some fuel... I am getting 14 MPG pulling the boat!
My .02
YUP!
we get 15.9. great truck.:D

Screaming Pete
12-18-2003, 10:49 AM
Once you go black smoke you never go back, got 280K on the 95 dodge with the Cummins, and get 18-22 mpg All Day long,I don't have the same power and the newer ones but maybe at 350K i'll get a new one, try that in a gasser :D

OGShocker
12-18-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
YUP!
we get 15.9. great truck.:D
I drive FASTER!:yuk: :p :D
We are putting this KIT on this WEEKEND (http://rollingbigpower.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=27)
Next week it gets lifted 6" with 37's under it.

MagicMtnDan
12-18-2003, 11:10 AM
We are putting this KIT on this WEEKEND (http://rollingbigpower.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=27)
I don't know what they mean by an "electronic module" but that kit looks to be an air intake (about $400-$500) and a stainless steel exhaust (a non-stainless steel exhaust with zillion mile warranty is about $400-$500). Sounds like they've got a LOT of profit in that package!
Good luck!

Havasu_Dreamin
12-18-2003, 11:12 AM
So, is this mileage everyday mileage with the Duramax? My boat stays at the Havasu pad so I don't tow it far at all, excpet for the occassional trip to bring it back for Service and even that will stop eventually as I begin to use Savage Marine more and more. So, is a duramax diesel good even just around town and going back and forth from So. Cal to Havasu?

Wicky
12-18-2003, 11:19 AM
I have had two 3/4 GMC with the new 6.0. A 99' and an 03'. One had 3.73s and my HD has 4.11s. I pulled a 6 ton box trailer 2000 miles with no aerodynamics and still averaged a little better than 10 mpg. I don't drive slow either. My 99 definitely had better mileage. I'm not sure what your boat weighs but, I am extremely happy with the GMC product and I think the 6.0 will definitley do the job.
A happy GMC TRUCK customer,
Wicky

Wicky
12-18-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by SoCalOffshore
The 8.1 is a better choice, but the Duramax is superior to both. That's what I purchased and I am glad I did. It tows my 32 Schiada at 75 mph to Havasu.
I like to have the capability to take fuel from the truck and use in my boat or bike or vice versa. Can't do that with a Diesel in the middle of the desert!!!!!
Don't forget about the lawnmower either!!

Jordy
12-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Talk to STV_Keith before you drop $2000 on that deal. He's at Diesel Dynamics in Vegas but posts here and RiverRatLife.com

Sandbar Mike
12-18-2003, 11:59 AM
Dam you guys, Thanks for all the help.
Looks like I might be influenced to go for the Duramax after all.

boxscore
12-18-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by PerfectionDtail
Only the long bed has the bigger tank. I have a crew cab short bed and it is a 26 gallon tank. Next month, I am planning on getting a new tank. There is a 45 gallon tank that replaces the 26 and will fit under the truck where the 26 fits now. It costs about $1000.
Tell me where to find one of those. The range with the 26 gal is horrific.

Wicky
12-18-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Sandbar Mike
SB Mike,
Do you ever eat at La Paloma on Foothill?

Wicky
12-18-2003, 12:46 PM
If the plane doesn't crash I will be drinking Margaritas there by 7 tonight!!!

Lightning
12-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Havasu_Dreamin
So, is this mileage everyday mileage with the Duramax? My boat stays at the Havasu pad so I don't tow it far at all, excpet for the occassional trip to bring it back for Service and even that will stop eventually as I begin to use Savage Marine more and more. So, is a duramax diesel good even just around town and going back and forth from So. Cal to Havasu?
I have one for my everyday truck, I keep my boat in Yuma. Gas mileage is around 17-18. I will not go back to a gas truck again.

Lightning
12-18-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Sandbar Mike
Do it, you won't be disappointed.

OGShocker
12-18-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
Talk to STV_Keith before you drop $2000 on that deal. He's at Diesel Dynamics in Vegas but posts here and RiverRatLife.com
Thanks! I just did...
OGS

Sandbar Mike
12-18-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Wicky
If the plane doesn't crash I will be drinking Margaritas there by 7 tonight!!!
We get up there every once and a while, good Mexican food!
Your a long way from Boise ID

BoatFloating
12-18-2003, 02:54 PM
Go Diesel, it's a win, win. If you tow you get better mileage than gas and when you don't tow you get way better mileage than gas. If you making a bunch of trips to Havasu then a Diesel is made for a ton of miles.
I have a 98 Dodge with mods up the wazoo. 400+ HP Bring it on Powerstrokes and Duramax's.
HDD, like I said Dura(wax that ass)max Isn't 400+ HP stock for the Duramax.
I just purchased a 2001 CC 4x4 GMC Duramax loaded
Now you are thinking
:D

Havasu_Dreamin
12-18-2003, 03:06 PM
So, the Duramax seems to be the way to go. What are the chances they will ever offer it in the Suburban/Yukon XL and/or the Tahoe/Yukon?

Party Cat
12-18-2003, 03:11 PM
So, the Duramax seems to be the way to go. What are the chances they will ever offer it in the Suburban/Yukon XL and/or the Tahoe/Yukon?
The Burban is supposed to get a dmax in '05.....

PerfectionDtail
12-18-2003, 03:19 PM
Next year the Burban will get the Duramax, and the H2 is soon to follow(the year after the Burban).
I am holding out for the H2 Duramax.

Havasu Cig
12-18-2003, 03:29 PM
Chevy has been saying that they are going to put the diesel in the Suburban for a while now. I will believe it when I see it.
Our local dealer said they would have to re-design the body in order to fit it.

1stepcloser
12-18-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
Our local dealer said they would have to re-design the body in order to fit it.
Your dealer is correct.
Problem isnt with the engine, it's the trans. The Allison is too tall to fit under the the trans tunnel in the Suburban.
The current generation of Suburban/Tahoe will not get the Duramax/Allison package.
Originally posted by Party Cat
The Burban is supposed to get a dmax in '05.....
Rumor has it a new body design is on the board as well.....;)

Havasu_Dreamin
12-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
Is it safe to say this holds true for the GMC Yukons/Yukon XL as well?

1stepcloser
12-18-2003, 03:48 PM
I doubt there would be any harm in saying that.

Party Cat
12-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
Your dealer is correct.
Problem isnt with the engine, it's the trans. The Allison is too tall to fit under the the trans tunnel in the Suburban.
The current generation of Suburban/Tahoe will not get the Duramax/Allison package.
Yup...I heard that too....an HD Burban.....
The other thing I heard about the 05 diesel is that it won't have the power that the dmax/allison does...it will be detuned a little so the 480LE tranny doesn't blow up....

DogHouse
12-18-2003, 06:43 PM
So, the Duramax seems to be the way to go.
Well, only if you really want a GM truck. The Cummins is still hands-down the most reliable of the three and can be upgraded with the best of them! Of course then you're stuck driving a Dodge, hmmm... :D