PDA

View Full Version : 575 Chiller

lavey575
12-18-2003, 05:52 PM
I know i have talked about this before,but i think iam going to go pick up a 650 super chiller kit from Teague this weekend.Has anyone on these boards installed the 650 kit on a 575 merc.I think iam going to try the 650 kit first (no fuel pump or ecu change)then add the pumps and do the ecu later.If anyone has please tell me how the install went and what kind of performane gains you saw.Thanks

PerfectionDtail
12-19-2003, 08:51 AM
Does anyone get a good deal on these? I think the price I have is 2k each.
Sorry, don't have them yet so I cant answer your question.

Hustler
12-19-2003, 02:20 PM
I think you would be better off with a chiller from the blower shop or Richard Lee. I have heard reports of the SuperChiller cores leaking.

BADBLOWN572
12-19-2003, 02:47 PM
Don't go with a superchiller. I have one and I am not happy with it. Richard Lee or Whipple both make awesome kits that are more efficient and also lower profile. I highly dislike the Superchiller and I will never buy another in my life!

FastTimmy
12-19-2003, 03:39 PM
I think that the lee one is super chiller. Bob teague (Teague Marine) bought the rites to super chiller.
I say use the blower shop one...
The wipple is good two but I don't think you can put a ?-71 blower on them.
Just my .02

Hustler
12-19-2003, 03:43 PM
You can put a 6-71 to 14-71 on the new Whipple intercoolers but $2,600 for a polished one is way out of line in my opinion.

FastTimmy
12-19-2003, 03:55 PM
Dam that's steep.... but they are good. We tested them when I worked at Banks.

MACH26
12-19-2003, 05:13 PM
Lavey,
Let me know how that works, I'm thinking of doing the same thing on my boat.
Thanks
Javier

PerfectionDtail
12-20-2003, 11:49 AM
Do these other coolers add as much HP or more than the Superchiller? I couldn't find anything on Richard Lee. Anything on the web about it?

BADBLOWN572
12-22-2003, 08:31 AM
They make more h.p. but the best part is that they are lower profile. The superchiller stands approx 4" high where the whipple charger chiller only stands approx 2." I heard a reputable dyno shop one time describe the super chiller as trying to push melted Velveta cheese through a strainer is like forcing air through a Superchiller.

LAVEYSABRE575
12-22-2003, 08:52 AM
Hi lavey, I was also looking into an intercooler for my 575, chiller is the only one making one right now for the 575 let us know how it works...derek

LAVEYSABRE575
12-22-2003, 09:01 AM
i apologize whipple does make one for the 575, i dont know what kind of hp gain...derek

PerfectionDtail
12-22-2003, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
[B]They make more h.p. but the best part is that they are lower profile. The superchiller stands approx 4" high where the whipple charger chiller only stands approx 2."
I have plenty of room for a 5" cooler if there is one. Which one is the best. Which makes the most HP?

FastTimmy
12-22-2003, 01:04 PM
QUOTE]PerfectionDtail Do these other coolers add as much HP or more than the Superchiller? I couldn't find anything on Richard Lee. Anything on the web about it? [/QUOTE]
Richard Lee's shop was called PFM I do not remember what it stood for...[

BADBLOWN572
12-22-2003, 02:55 PM
Timmy, PFM was the company that made the Superchiller before they went out of business and stuck a lot of creditors and customers. They since have sold the intercooler operation to Teague. Whipple intercoolers are the best in terms of H.P. gain.

FastTimmy
12-22-2003, 04:16 PM
Yeh that sounds right.
I hope I don't sound like I pushing PFM there coolers suck. They were good when there was nothing else but now we have blowershop (what I use) and the wipple one, made by I believe Allied signal or Garret one of those parent companies.
I plan to start on a new turbo system this year (2004) I would like to use the wipple cooler for the basis of my system. With all of the new sound laws coming out it is time to go Turbo. My last boat a 25' warlock had a twin turbo motor in it that I had put together. What a great package, it is to bad turbos are not recieved well by the people that like to see a power robbing blower sticking out of the lid.
When I built my Mach 26 that I currently have I used the long block from my old Turbo motor. I put the blower on it so it would have a better precieved resale value but I now think that I should have stuck to my guns and put a turbo motor in it.
Any ways if thing go right I hope to keep a nice thread going in this coming year on my turbo build up project. I plan to do test run with a small stereo job thread in January in the new forum..
Timmy

lavey575
12-22-2003, 06:24 PM
I have been talking to everybody i can about intercoolers.The blower shop and Richard Lee do not make a intercooler for the 575.Whipple makes a intake intercooler for the 575 for $3,000.The Whipple is a very nice,but it costs.I talked with Steve at Pfaff and Gary Teague. they both said that they have been installing super chillers for years and have not had any problems.Some people have had problems with the cores leaking due to high water pressure,you have to use a pressure relief valve on your sea strainer. you only want to have 20lbs max water pressure.If anyone has any more info please post.Thanks

Haullen270
12-22-2003, 10:50 PM
I have a 575SCI and had Steve and his Paul Pfaff guys install a SuperChiller and PFM smaller pulley kit for more boost over a 100 engine hours ago and have not had one problem. At the time they also installed a IMCO Sea Strainer. I have only enjoyed more speed,power, acceleration and top end. You should go for it.

lavey575
12-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info.Did you do the 700 kit (fuel pumps,pulley and re mapping) if so,what kind if mph gain did you see with your 270.I picked up the 650 kit today and i am going to install it over new years.My boat is at my place at havasu springs.I think i am going to toe it back and have Steve at Pfaff do the fuel pump,pulley and re map it. Thanks

Haullen270
12-23-2003, 06:37 PM
I had the Stage 3 kit installed with everything you mentioned to bring me up to 700HP. I saw a 7MPH top end increase. 82MPH GPS before to 89MPH GPS afterwards. But also going from a 28 lab prop to a 30 pitched out to a 31 lab prop. Mid range acceleration gains were awesome! These speed runs were done inside the breakwater wall in Long Beach a year ago Oct. before Modifications and then early Nov. with one of Paul Pfaff mechanics testing the modifications with me right after the install.
Paul Pfaff and his team are great! You should be happy with the customer service you will receive from them.
Let me know your before and after results?
Happy Holidays,
Haullen270

LAVEYSABRE575
12-24-2003, 07:48 AM
lavey 575, do u own a sabre (dave)? just curious i have a place at the springs also...derek

lavey575
12-24-2003, 10:16 AM
Thanks Haullen270 for the info.It will be a few months before i get the boat in the water.I have to bring it to Lavey for some warranty work,then over to steve at Pfaff.Derek...Yes it is me Dave.whats up?Are tou going to the springs for new years?I will be going down 12/28 and staying till 1/3/04.

Lakeshow
12-24-2003, 11:06 AM
Is that you Dave? I have a place at the Springs too and know I guy with a boat like yours that likes to drink a liitle excessively.

lavey575
12-24-2003, 01:26 PM
Thats me...:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

LAVEYSABRE575
12-24-2003, 07:24 PM
lavey575, nice name dave i dont think im going that wknd, the wife is and george etc. I talked to chris at lavey today about my boat they still have a couple things to do to it.Like change the strap on the generator to a red one the yellow one on there is killing me stilll a little gel work to do. Im thinking of buying the same kit gotta let me know how it works by the way merry christmas...derek ps. whats up tony...

superdave013
12-24-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by FastTimmy
QUOTE]PerfectionDtail Do these other coolers add as much HP or more than the Superchiller? I couldn't find anything on Richard Lee. Anything on the web about it?
Richard Lee's shop was called PFM I do not remember what it stood for...[ [/QUOTE]
Wrong, Richard Lee's shop is called Richard Lee
PFM did make the superchiller and it is totaly different then a Lee cooler.
Oh, both the Lee and the Superchiller are 4" tall. Lee has a new one out that is being sold through Mike Kuhl that has the core down in the manifold like the whipple. The Whipple's use a cupper nickle (sp) core and that's why it's so pricy. It is a better core though.
Also J540 here on the boards makes a very nice cooler. It has a core like a Lee core but has a few more rows so it's a little bigger.
The real question here is what kind of blower is on a 575 merc? Is if an 6-71 or bigger or is it one of those lil peanut blowers?
BTW, I have a good used Superchiller that I could part with. Freash water use only and was only used for drag racing. It was opened up a tad to fit an 8-71. Will still seal up for a 6-71 or can be opened up all the way to fit a 14-17.

lavey575
12-26-2003, 12:08 PM
Richard Lee's shop is called Lee performance products.The 575 uses a 256 blower.Derek:Hope you can make it down on new years.The username Lavey575 is my sons,Iam still lakeman when i want to be.

FastTimmy
12-30-2003, 10:26 AM
I have not searched hard but I can not find anything on Lee performance or anything close does any one have a link or info..