PDA

View Full Version : fuck that

THE VIKING
12-18-2003, 08:41 PM
Am i the only one that has a little trouble enjoying christmas, thinking about, the kids of alcoholics and drugheads that will get beaten up for christmas, instead of buried in presents, like my own kids????
That's what i hate about the holidays, the knowledge of kids suffering.:( and we all know they are out there.
Hornhead.

Kilrtoy
12-18-2003, 08:43 PM
Yep Life sucks for alot of people.
That is why I enjoy everything thing I have. Cuz one day it could be all gone...

Infomaniac
12-18-2003, 09:00 PM
My wife grew up in pretty rough conditions. They got a stick of gum for Christmas at best. If they got money from a relative her parents took it.

Cas
12-18-2003, 11:40 PM
more suicides are committed at this time of year than any other.
It's the time of year for giving and it makes my family and I feel great to donate toys, clothes, food and whatever else we can to people in need. Hopefully we can make a kid smile or maybe eliminate one person from the above statement.

THE VIKING
12-19-2003, 05:03 AM
Nope, no half emty glass, just concern for my fellow human beings.
And if i may add, i have had an ecxelent childhood myself, with parents that loved me who gave me a brother to beat up, like all kids do, if all kids had parents like mine, all would be great for all kids in the world.
And i DON*T DO WEED, thankyou.
But what the ****, the world can't be saved anyway.

LASERRAY
12-19-2003, 05:09 AM
Ah, **** Em!!!! Who Wants Pie? :D

THE VIKING
12-19-2003, 05:41 AM
Laserdude, a wild guess here, You're not a socialworker are you????:D :D

LASERRAY
12-19-2003, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by THE VIKING
Laserdude, a wild guess here, You're not a socialworker are you????:D :D No, Just socially challenged!:D

THE VIKING
12-19-2003, 08:07 AM
AAhhhhhhhh, a homeless nutcase!!, why did'nt you say so in the first place:D :cool:

Miss BK
12-19-2003, 08:31 AM
Last night the UPS driver brought two huge boxes from my mother in law --- both of them heaped full of presents for my 2 young boys. They were ecstatic... But it was too many! I can already see the flurry of wrapping paper and the heaps of toys that will pile up on the floor.
This happens every year, but the sad thing is that, being buried with so many gifts, a month from now they won't even remember who gave them what. I'm seriously thinking about making them choose two or three of those gifts to give to the local group foster home...something we've done before, when they were smaller.
I started thinking about when I was growing up in a family of six. We each got ONE big present from our parents, $2 from our grandmother, plus one "Santa" gift - and then the "special" small gifts we gave to each other. With fewer gifts, each became far more special. And the personal gifts we gave to our parents and siblings were just as special.
I'm afraid with this glut of dozens upon dozens of presents my kids will unwrap, that the idea of "giving" will be completely lost.

rvrtoy
12-19-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Miss BK
Last night the UPS driver brought two huge boxes from my mother in law --- both of them heaped full of presents for my 2 young boys. They were ecstatic... But it was too many! I can already see the flurry of wrapping paper and the heaps of toys that will pile up on the floor.
This happens every year, but the sad thing is that, being buried with so many gifts, a month from now they won't even remember who gave them what. I'm seriously thinking about making them choose two or three of those gifts to give to the local group foster home...something we've done before, when they were smaller.
I started thinking about when I was growing up in a family of six. We each got ONE big present from our parents, $2 from our grandmother, plus one "Santa" gift - and then the "special" small gifts we gave to each other. With fewer gifts, each became far more special. And the personal gifts we gave to our parents and siblings were just as special.
I'm afraid with this glut of dozens upon dozens of presents my kids will unwrap, that the idea of "giving" will be completely lost.
I have been fighting the same battle with my parents for years. The solution my wife and I came up with is every year my kids are allowed to pick 4 gifts (after all are opened) from my parents to keep. The rest are donated to needy familys adopted by our church. The day after Christmas we go to those families and my kids give gifts to the children of those less fortunate people. This has really helped to teach my children the joys of giving as well as recieving. In fact last year my son (8) wanted a new "Razor" scooter for Christmas (he had one but it was getting a bit beat-up). Needless to say he got it but after visiting a needy child who had next to nothing, he asked me if I would take him back home so he could get his new scooter and helmet. I did. He gave it to this little boy (7) who had never owned a bike or scooter in his life. My son was so proud (I was also). In fact he still talkes about how that little boy felt that day.
Any way...I got a bit long winded but my point is it has really helped my children to appreciate how blessed they are. It also helps to teach them the real meaning of Christmas.:)

Pointerman
12-19-2003, 09:14 AM
rvtoy,
Your story brought a tear to my eye...seriously. Your son will be an outstanding member of society and you are obviouslyan excellent father. Kudos to you. I hope by 17 month old turns out as fine as your children.

rvrtoy
12-19-2003, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the Kudos pointerman.
I am by far not the best father in the world. Just working hard everyday to try and keep the little ones grounded and help them to appreciate ALL that they have.:D

Pointerman
12-19-2003, 09:23 AM
Sounds like you are doing a fine job.

bronco88
12-19-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by THE VIKING
Am i the only one that has a little trouble enjoying christmas, thinking about, the kids of alcoholics and drugheads that will get beaten up for christmas, instead of buried in presents, like my own kids????
That's what i hate about the holidays, the knowledge of kids suffering.:( and we all know they are out there.
Hornhead.
So instead of burying your kids with presents, why not give some to these suffering kids?
In other words, why not do something about it instead of griping?
I know you can't help them all, but how about a couple?

THE VIKING
12-19-2003, 12:40 PM
I already am doing just that