PDA

View Full Version : Nose Cones alpha Pain in the neck

The Raven
08-04-2002, 09:04 AM
OK all you inventive people Any real help on this .
1984 Merc alpha drives with
Bobs machine shop Nose cones. [ no low water pick up] They installed them a few years ago. They make a Big diff. in the handling, But and a BIG but. The blending [ body filler] keeps chipping off in large sections. I even had a Good body man re do them, but the stufffalls off in less then a seasion.
Any tips on what to use ?? Or even another brand that does not need all the body plastic filling
Thanks
The Raven
New York

Tinkerer
08-04-2002, 10:42 AM
Any chance the nose cone is loose and moving around a little and this causes the problem? Also does the filler fall off after you apply it in the spring or does it fall off in the spring after being applied in the previous summer. (If water gets behind the cone and freezes if will loosen the filler. If freezing is not an issue than try roughing up the aluminum under the filler to give the filler a better bite hold. I havn't had problems with filler in the past falling out.
TIP -- For those of you adding cones to the older drives with the oil drain hole in the front side of the bullit
What I did was drill a hole in the cone centered over the oil hole and tap the hole for a 1/2 inch brass plug (tap the hole for the plug to be shallow- the plug should be flush with inside of the cone when tight) Then install the cone making sure that no epoxie covers the oil hole or gets in the threads -when the epoxie is cured tighten the plug in and cut it off flush with a hack saw and sand it smooth- then drill two 1/8 inch holes in the plug at opposite sides so that you can use a snapring tool or other of your choice to remove the plug. This will cause a MUCH smoother flow of water over the bullit.

stressedout
08-05-2002, 08:59 AM
We've had really good results using (marine tex)available at most marine dealers or mail order.We started using it 15 yrs. ago, never had it chip away.

HavasuDreamin'
08-05-2002, 12:20 PM
My guess is you have a loose cone that when under pressure moves around causing the bondo to chip. Did you call bob's machine shop?
I have one of their big foot cones on my O/B tunnel and have had no problems for more than 5 years. Good Luck

The Raven
08-05-2002, 08:21 PM
Thanks guys for the reply.
Nope there Not loose, I had Bobs Install them , a few years ago, and even sent them back once, due to an Oil leak on "one". The re-did both, but lasted maybe two seasions. The Body guy that re-did them took them down to bare metal, made them super clear, roughed up the surface ETC. Used a Good prmer "zinc chromeate" I think!
What happens is first is bubbles form, then BINGO a Hole. My guess is water some how getting in or under the filler. Maybe something to due with salt water in NY, as I have seen a few Bobs Cones up here with the same problem.
There has to be something I can use to re-blend or fill them with. Epoxie ??
I like the diff. they made in handling and Less trim, But this is getting out of hand.
maybe I'll call them. Got there Phone numer?
Thanks Again
PS. Important Pass this on
DO NOT use LENCO hatch lifters, the company now in florida DOES NOT stand behind there Product.
Mine died for the second time in 2 Years, and they won't even sell me the parts to fix it.
CRAP

stressedout
08-06-2002, 06:38 AM
Raven,
MARINE TEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Raven
08-06-2002, 09:06 AM
ATT. StressedOut
I think I got your message. Use marine TEX.
Dumb question, You have used it for nose cones??
If so, you blended the entire thing with marine tex. WOW, thats alot of M-Tex. How the hell do you sand it. But I like the Idea alot.
Thanks for the tip. Will give it a try at the end of this seasion

stressedout
08-06-2002, 09:42 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Raven:
There has to be something I can use to re-blend or fill them with. Epoxie ??
Raven since you asked the question again about what to use, I assumed you did not see my first post.
Yes we use it for nose cones.
We have done some that are running over 100mph without any pitting or blistering.
Marine tex is sandable after it sets up.
I used it on my own boat in 1987 still looks like it did in 87.
What kind of filler have you been using?
A lot of people think bondo will work but it will chip away.

The Raven
08-07-2002, 01:03 PM
Hi stressedout
Yes I did read your other post, but meaning no disrespect I wanted to make sure "I" asked the right question.
I have no idea what Bobs mach. shop used. But when I had my body man re do them [ who is into boating]
He used something called TIGER-Paw.
Now after that chipped away I took it to a LONG Island Respected HI PO Matrine Rigger. What ever he used. {bondo most likely] fell the hell off .
Wait till I get my "X- law enforcement hands on him.
Now I have been doing the repairs, useing as follows
Fast-Glas by Marson, a long strand Fiber glass reinforced product. And Just again
CarGroom by US chemical, a short strand Reinforced product. Now each repair I do I clean the AREA real good Chip and sand away anything Loose or damp. My boat at best does 68/70 , but I'm real carefull as to where, when and how long.
I have used marine tex in the past, not on the drives.
Do you use alot as If your Blending with Bondo??
or Just enough to fill in the seam smooth. I,m really thinking I should have went with
HYDO-Motives cone. The cones as per BOBS were heli-arched [ tacked ] in place, so there no Moving.
Again thank for your time and efforts
You need anything, anytime Call!!
Tag YOUR IT
Vinnie

stressedout
08-08-2002, 04:24 AM
Raven,
We use marine tex to attach the nose cone and to fill in the seems, use just enough to blend the nose cone into the drive,let it set up overnite and then sand it smooth and paint it.The only way you will get any blisters is if you get air bubbles in the epoxy.Good Luck!

jsmagnum
08-11-2002, 01:36 PM
The only product that has worked for me is a filler that is ground up aluminum and resin.It is hard to find but there are still a few bodyshop suppliers that carry it. I have owned and operated my own body shop for 21 years and this stuff is great for all aluminum and white metal repairs!

The Raven
08-12-2002, 01:31 PM
TO JSMagnum
Thank you for the TIP.
Can you post the Name of that product.
Thanks
NY

jsmagnum
08-13-2002, 05:52 PM
To Raven
The product up here in canada is called metal fill and it held up on my last boat which did 93 mph.

DaveA
08-15-2002, 07:04 PM
Another product is Evercoat's Metal2Metal, aluminum/polyester paste filler.
Comes in a quart can- at least that's how we buy it for my shop.
DaveA

SchellSchock
08-16-2002, 10:50 AM
Look for Devcon, "7" I think, by 3M, i think,. It is an aerospace aluminum filler, bonding putty. This stuff can be machined, sanded, buffed, etc.