PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Fired Your Friends?

Flying Tiger
12-20-2003, 10:28 AM
Have you ever fired friends from both your life, and your business?
Had an electrician friend that would flake on me on real important jobs. We'd go boating and duneing together with our families and usually had fun. He was a teriffic Electrician, but over time, de-generated to a turd.
He started telling fairytales why the work I contracted him for didn't get done. Even simple stuff like running a neutral to an ice machine.
Then he starting inviting other problem people to our boat and dune trips. He'd invite people with out of control kids, adults with reckless behavior on the water or out on the dunes. Real creeps.
Finally that was it,,, he was fired as a friend, and a sub contractor.
About a year later I got a phone call from him. He told me he and his wife had inherited 100K, and decided to spend it on drug treatment at the Betty Ford center.
He and his wife were addicted to Crystal Meth. Second time, over three years snortin the stuff.
I figured it was probably something like this.
They went through the treatment, even moving their kids into the center. What hell his kids went through, but thats another post.
They're off the stuff I think,, but still flaky and 86'd from my life. I bet they'll eventually go back to squeek.
A one time they were a really neat family to hang with. but suddenly just blown away with drugs.
Any firing of friends stories out there? Am I alone with this issue?:

ratso
12-20-2003, 10:39 AM
I will probably have to do that at the first of the year, great friend but just can't catch on to the work here...

LASERRAY
12-20-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Flying Tiger
Have you ever fired friends from both your life, and your business?
Had an electrician friend that would flake on me on real important jobs. We'd go boating and duneing together with our families and usually had fun. He was a teriffic Electrician, but over time, de-generated to a turd.
He started telling fairytales why the work I contracted him for didn't get done. Even simple stuff like running a neutral to an ice machine.
Then he starting inviting other problem people to our boat and dune trips. He'd invite people with out of control kids, adults with reckless behavior on the water or out on the dunes. Real creeps.
Finally that was it,,, he was fired as a friend, and a sub contractor.
About a year later I got a phone call from him. He told me he and
his wife had inherited 100K, and decided to spend it on drug treatment at the Betty Ford center.
He and his wife were addicted to Crystal Meth. Second time, over three years snortin the stuff.
I figured it was probably something like this.
They went through the treatment, even moving their kids into the center. What hell his kids went through, but thats another post.
They're off the stuff I think,, but still flaky and 86'd from my life. I bet they'll eventually go back to squeek.
A one time they were a really neat family to hang with. but suddenly just blown away with drugs.
Any firing of friends stories out there? Am I alone with this issue?: His name isn't Gary Best, Is It?:D

Back To Havasu
12-20-2003, 10:42 AM
It can happen when you are chosen from your peers to be the boss. Your peers, who had been your friends, may now expect to get away with things, and test your friendship when you call them on it. Then you have a choice: do your job even if it costs you friendship or don't do your job. Been there, did my job even when it was painful.:cool:

MudPumper
12-20-2003, 10:43 AM
Just remember, friends are friends and business is business.

LASERRAY
12-20-2003, 10:52 AM
I just "FIRED" my best friend of 27 years. Here's why:
He STILL owes me $. Real men and true friends pay their debts.
He ALWAYS flakes when I invite him to do things and to go places.
He ALWAYS chooses to talk to his latest ho when we'd be talking on the phone and she'd call on the other line. He'd never tell her that he was on the other line, he just tells me, "I'll call you back".
He brings nothing to the table.
He brings nothing to the friendship.
He doesn't have ambition to better himself or his life.
I'm tired of bending-over-backwards for him and did I mention lending him money?
He's Over.
I guess the lesson here is, if you never want to see a friend again, loan him money!

jbtrailerjim
12-20-2003, 11:01 AM
Several years ago I had to fire my best friend from my mine and my fathers business. He pulled some very dishonest shit that could of have been very harmful to our business. It sucked and I was so pissed at him. The really shitty part was he and I were single and shared an apartment together. He moved out about a week later. We didn't talk for over a year and he eventually appoligized and I accepted. Were still friends but not as close as we use to be. It still stay's in the back of mind when I hang out with him and I don't don't have much trust in him.
I've also had to fire two other friends that worked for me. One was on drug's and flipped out on me and cussed me out and I told him to get the **** out. He eventually took care of his problem and he came back to work for me for a couple more years. He left on good terms the second time (moved to Vegas) and I would hire him back if he ever needed a job again.
The other friend just lost his enthusiasm and was getting lazy and it was really a mutual decision that he needed to move on.
Having friends work for you is hard and having family work for you is even worse. Trust me I know.
:rolleyes:

JetBoatRich
12-20-2003, 11:08 AM
My first Manager position, had to fire a good friend. Had a lot of marriage problems, caused him to miss work, etc. :( he understood and we remained friends:rolleyes: