PDA

View Full Version : Baja, Eliminator, Lavey owners?

LMW
08-30-2000, 06:13 PM
Like all of you, I need to go faster! It's time to trade my SeaRay sled for a new go-fast walkthrough bowrider. I want to hear from owners of Bajas, Eliminators, Laveys and other similarly styled boats. What's your honest opinion of the quality and performance of these boats? I'll probably end up with a 502 mag just because it seems to have a big bang for the buck. The Bajas I've looked at seem pretty nice for a production line boat, and the price is about right ($55K). However, I've had some folks tell me (not necessarily owners) to beware of the quality. Tell me what you think.

Laveyman
08-31-2000, 11:12 AM
I currently own a Lavey 24 NuEra, and I absolutely love it! I have been to the factories of Hallett, Eliminator, DCB, Advantage, and Lavey. I also test drove all of them within a two day period before settling on the Lavey. Don't get me wrong, they're all nice boats, but none of them could compare with the overall performance, quality, workmanship, attention to detail, and customer service that the folks down at Laveycraft offer. If you want a truly great performing boat, and want to be treated like a true family member before, during, and AFTER the sale of your boat, you owe it to yourself to check out the Laveys. I'm running a 454 Mag with only an exhaust upgrade on it, and I eat similarly equipped Baja's for lunch.
On the Baja...Don't! Don't! Don't buy one! Both the Lavey and the Eliminator are FAR SUPERIOR boats. You're not even comparing apples to apples. You're closer to comparing gourmet apples to a lemon. The Lavey and Eliminator are custom boats and are made to much higher standards than the Baja, which is basically a production boat (ie; SeaRay, Wellcraft, Bayliner...) Nearly every person that I know, or have talked to, that has owned a Baja for more than a few years deeply regrets it! The quality is just not there. If you don't believe me, check out some of the performance boating message boards. You'll find many disgruntled Baja owners. I copied the following posting from www.offshoreonly.com, (http://www.offshoreonly.com,) on their message board. It is just one of several on there you should check out.
If you have any questions about my boat or any of the Lavey's, leave your email address and I'll drop you a line. I can also get you any info you want on the Lavey's, as I live about two miles from their showroom/factory. Good Luck!
BAJA QUALITY
[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ OffshoreOnly.com Message Board ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by JW on August 22, 2000 at 23:41:26:
In Reply to: I dont own a baja, but they do make a boat comparable to others! posted by Todd on August 22, 2000 at 13:45:32:
THE ONLY THING A BAJA WOULD BE COMPARABLE WITH IS ANY OTHER HIGH PRODUCTION BOAT LIKE BAYLINER. THE BAJA'S DO HAVE GOOD STYLING THOW,BUT DONT LET FIRST IMPRESSIONS ON ASTHETICS SELL YOU. BAJA MAKES QUANTITY TO KEEP COST DOWN,QUALITY & STRUCTURAL INTIGRITY IS NO BETTER THAN A BAYLINER.
DROP IN SOME POWER,HIT SOME WAVES,& WHEN YOU GET TIRED OF FIXING EVERYTHING THAT BREAKS, STRESS CRACKS,ECT.YOU WILL FIND OUT FIRST HAND THEY ARE NOT THE PRODUCT THEIR BEING ADVERTISED AS. I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY. THE ONLY THING THAT DIDN'T BREAK ON MY BAJA PACKAGE WAS THE TRAILER.

baja 272
09-04-2000, 07:40 AM
I own a baja 272 and I am very disappointed with the baja's quality control at the factory. I have had problems with water leaks in the cabin area, gauges not working, latches breaking, and cabin seats that do not open properly. Baja's customer service is a joke. I have the 502 EFI and I love it. The boat runs 63 mph and handles great. I bought the boat because I really like the styling and layout. I bought the boat from Grand Sport Center in Illinois and they have been great at addressing the above problems. My boat didn't even come with the right 272 decals applied from the factory. I hope you have better luck than I did if you choose a baja.

IBOATFAST
09-06-2000, 06:33 PM
I own a Baja 24 outlaw and I have had great luck with the boat. I have had some motor problems, but it was not Baja fault. Its fixed and running strong!!!!

MNLavey
09-08-2000, 11:02 AM
I currently own a Lavey 21' XTSki. I'm not sure I can agree with LaveyMan about feeling like family to Lavey Craft, of course he's 2 blocks away and I'm half way across the country!!! They haven't been real helpful with our post purchase issues or with questions after the fact.
As for the boat, it is very nice. We did have to spend quite a bit of time buffing it after we got it, it appeared that sand had got under the shrink wrap and it had rubbed on all the edges the entire way across the country. The only other major issue we have is that the rear seats are starting to tear at the seams after 2 years of use (approximately 250 hours).
You should definitely check out some custom manufacturers. We only looked at three (Lavey, Advantage, and Ultra) and I wish I would have spent the time/money and went to CA and looked at a few more.
If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me. You can see some pictures of our boat at www.usinternet.com/users/mikew (http://www.usinternet.com/users/mikew)
Good luck!!!!
Mike

elimnatr
09-11-2000, 04:56 PM
dear lmw I have to say that I love our eliminator its our third one! You will not find better gel work and gel graphics on either boats. Hands down the eliminator has the fastest hull motor to motor. We now have a 30 eagle with twin procharged 500hps efi's and are currently running 103 mph radar. Also another nice thing is that eliminator allows you to totaly customize your whole boat from carpet to gauges no packages every one else has but a bit of your own self in the detail.

Garry
09-11-2000, 10:35 PM
Would have to agree with elimnatr on buying one.Just bought my second daytona 25 and love it.Eliminator went so far as to loan me a outdrive when mine broke just so i could go to the regatta.I cant speak for the others companys,but i was very impressed with this,

22CaliberTwilightCruiser
09-14-2000, 10:06 PM
I can't speak on any of the brands other than the Baja I currently own. I've had the 22'Caliber for a few years and am very happy with it. I have about 100 hours on it and have had no problems with the boat itself.
Some of the boats you've mentioned are not readily available in Michigan, so I havent done any comparisons with them. I haven't had any leaks, squeeks, rattles, etc. The materials appear to be top quality, and have held up well (although I do keep my boat inside when I'm not using it).
I would buy another Baja, Although, I think its going to come down to personel taste. But don't rule out Bajas, they're excellent boats. (Just my .02) Good Luck

GCS
10-03-2000, 02:37 PM
OK LMW, I'm going to throw another contender in to the ring.
I agree with the others above and say stay with the custom builts. As for the Lavey's, my next door neighbor has a 26 and it is just a bitchin boat.
Have you looked at Nordics?
I have an older Nordic that has held up like a sherman tank!
No cracks, no checks in the gel coat, no fading, NOTHING TO BITCH ABOUT WHEN IT COMES TO HOW THE BOAT WAS BUILT! I love it. My next boat will be another Nordic.
By the way, the new Halletts are really nice too.
Have fun boat shopping.

dvoffroad
01-07-2001, 02:29 PM
Thumbs up on Baja. I'm on my third Baja now getting bigger and faster as I go. The newest Baja that I have owned is 1996. I sold that one to a friend and she still has it today. That boat has been through everything and still goods great. No stress cracks, nice gel coat. No problems with gadges and she has about 300 hours on it now.
My other Baja's have been from the late 80's (88-89) and have had only one problem (same problem with both boats) Its seems that the sun pad (over the engine) its made from wood. Not treated wood, just wood. Took the better part of an afternoon with a saw, drill and staple gun to fix. Pretty basic really. The rest of the boats were in excellent condition. The years of abuse didnt blemish any of the finish or construction.
I will buy another Baja!

Essex_Sterling
01-08-2001, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by LMW:
I want to hear from owners of Bajas, Eliminators, Laveys and other similarly styled boats. What's your honest opinion of the quality and performance of these boats?
Take a look at Essex as well, www.essexboats.com. (http://www.essexboats.com.) They make a great boat and the customer service is excellent! Everyone is very friendly from the top on down. They truly make you feel like one of the family.
I have a 2000 21 ft Sterling with a 350 mag/bravo 3. I've gotten it up to 64 mph at Mohave with 7 people on board. It's my first boat and I have had no problems with it.
That's not to say that Lavey, Hallett, Eliminator, Howard, bascially any of the customs, are worse than an Essex. It just comes down to the way the boat is made, and where, and the lines/look of the boat.
The production process, the looks, and the warm and fuzzy feeling are what did it for me.
Also, look at what comes standard between the different custom manufacturers. You may be surprised. Another plus for Essex in that area.