PDA

View Full Version : WHAT HAPPENED TO MY ENGINE?

TANG-INATOR
03-22-2003, 10:51 PM
ONE OF MY BOATS IS A 98 MONTEREY 196 WITH A 5.0 LITER. TODAY I WAS RUNNING THE ENGINE AT IDLE WHEN I NOTICED THE FLUSH DEALIO HAD MOVED OUT OF PLACE AND I ASSUME I STARVED THE MOTOR OF WATER FOR COOLING. I PUT THE DEALIO IN ITS CORRECT PLACE AND IT KEPT SMOKING WHITE AS IN VAPOR, THE TEMPS WENT UP TO 200*. I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT BOAT ENGINES BUT IM THINKING IT HAS A BLOWN HEAD GASKET, BUT THE THING IS THE ENGINE STILL RUNS SILKY SMOOTH . I NEVER HAD IT PAST IDLE WHEN ALL THIS OCCURED. CAN ANYONE HERE GIVE ME A CLUE AS TO WHAT MAY BE GOING ON HERE? I THOUGHT WHEN YOU HAD A BLOWN HEAD GASKET IT WOULD IDLE ROUGH....THANKS....ROB

fixit1002
03-22-2003, 11:15 PM
well it may have blown a gasket but you may have gotten lucky and only melted the rubber impeller water pump for sure the impeller is burnt fix that first and see what happnes

TANG-INATOR
03-23-2003, 07:33 PM
I TRIED IT AGAIN THIS MORNING...STARTED UP FINE IDLED GREAT(NO SMOKING) FOR ABOUT TEN MINUTES THEN THE TEMPS WHENT UP TO JUST OVER 180* WHICH I THINK IS PROBABLY NORMAL OPERATING TEMPERATURE. THEN IT STARTED SMOKING AT THAT POINT(WHITE VAPOR). STILL IDLED GREAT AND REVVED UP JUST FINE BUT SMOKED. THEN THERE ARE LITTLE PORTS ON THE OUTDRIVE AND VAPOR WAS COMING OUT OF THOSE ALSO...WHATS GOING ON?!!?!?!?....ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED, THANKS .....ROB

TCHB
03-23-2003, 10:29 PM
If you sent to 200 degrees I think you are ok. Remember the engne while running in a car is set to run at 210 degrees. The engine in the boat will run around 170 to 180 under normal conditions. It is very normal to see steam coming out the back while running the hose. Turn the water pressure up a little. If you want to be safe check the water pump. Good Luck

dorC
03-24-2003, 10:49 AM
Your impeller is burned up! That's why it keeps on steaming! If you want a blown gasket (or worse) you'll keep on trying to run the engine with out fixing it! You'r call!

Tinkerer
03-24-2003, 07:35 PM
If the boat has an ALPHA drive then the impeller is in the outdrive. REPLACE IT. The white smoke may have come from the rubber interconnect hoses on the exhaust system. Check out the exhaust hoses.

powerplay230
03-30-2003, 04:43 PM
If its not an Alpha drive but a Bravo you need to replace the impeller (possibly the whole housing if it got scarred) on the raw water pump. Bravo's have two pumps, impeller in the raw water pump is almost like an outboards. I picked up a plastic bag on way back to marina and melted both pieces in less than a minute. Check it out, worth it to save a motor.
R boxed

Trash
03-30-2003, 09:48 PM
If my memory serves me correct, the Merc owners manual states the impeller will be burned up in 10 seconds without water.

Stupid Fast
03-30-2003, 10:11 PM
Trash:
the Merc owners manual states the impeller will be burned up in 10 seconds without water. About 4.5. It smells terrible too.

powerplay230
03-31-2003, 03:54 PM
I spent more time and money picking all the rubber vanes of the impeller out of motor that for the parts themself!