PDA

View Full Version : Tower/stereo/lighting help

NashvilleBound
12-22-2003, 07:56 PM
Well it looks like were going to add a tower to the sled this year before heading to TN and I have no idea where to begin. I'll probably use Phat towers...other than that I want Satalite Radio/CD...should I do it with a system IN the boat too. Or does the tower hold all the components? I want ear bleed loud. $5k enough for the whole package? I'm wondering what I am getting myself into. All I know is all the boards will be OUT of the sled and up outta the way!...oh, and the old man, me... ya know I'm almost 40, so sking from a line thats 6' above the water has some benefits :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Any ideas would help...name brands..do's and dont's...

Havasu Hangin'
12-22-2003, 08:13 PM
Don't forget the 32" Subwoofer!
http://www.rtaudio.com/install/images/td_bkcviewt.jpg

mbrown2
12-22-2003, 10:23 PM
Dam....HH, can't believe you find this stuff....

Havasu Hangin'
12-23-2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by mbrown2
Dam....HH, can't believe you find this stuff....
Never underestimate the power of a guy with waaaaay too much time on his hands. ;)

mbrown2
12-23-2003, 09:11 AM
Buddy of mine had a 2002 Malibu running about 1600 or 1800 watts of Xtant amps, had (6) 6" MB Quarts below in the normal mounting locations being pushed by 500 watts, 1 JL 12" being pushed by 600 watts, and 500 watts pushing a set of Boss B530's on the towers with MBQuarts...Best sounding Wake Board boat I have been in...The B530's (3-way) were great...just need to silicone the grill's depending on how rough the boat rides....With 1 12" the boat hit pretty good, but once you have sound on a tower it is a whole new boating audio experience....
If you have a decent sound system now, I would add the tower, a serious amp putting out 500+ and go with one of the new 3 way tower setups....with all the mids and highs the tower adds, you want to make sure you are pushing some good bass down below...

NashvilleBound
12-23-2003, 01:02 PM
I have no stereo right now as when the boat was built I wanted other options. Looks like I'm diving in deep here...again.

mbrown2
12-23-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by NashvilleBound
I have no stereo right now as when the boat was built I wanted other options. Looks like I'm diving in deep here...again.
For 5K my buddy did that entire Malibu....3 Xtant Amps...3 Sets MB Quarts Mid's, Sub, Batteries, Boss 530's w/MB Quarts, CD Player, Changer, XM and nice Install of everything...his boat came with no sound system as well...With the right hookup (ROZ) on the equipment you could probably do something cheaper...

riverbound
12-23-2003, 04:51 PM
I would recomend using rockford fosgate amps (they handle the heat very well)
Eclipse or mbquart speakers ( they sound great and can handle moisture
Alpine or pioneer headunits (both handle vibration very well and are xm ready)
We use these components in every boat we build and do very well, we have very happy customers and rarely see them back because of failure. I also personally use these components in my boats.
$5k is not out of the question and we could probably come in for less.
If you are interested call me at my shop (909)481-8411 my name is Bill

rivercrazy
12-23-2003, 10:07 PM
What models of RF amps are you recommending?
I've had a few buddies running RF amps in boats and from what I've seen they produce very high levels of heat. To the point of repeated thermal shutdowns. One was so hot I got a blister from touching it. And it was a 2 channel amp wired at 4 ohms. Not sure what model he was running but he switched brands and the heat issue went away

mbrown2
12-23-2003, 10:17 PM
I am running RF's (2) 801X's (1) 1500BD...they get hotter than some other high end amps...but do sound great...have to keep fans on them....I think the PG amps will take the heat better..

Havasu Hangin'
12-24-2003, 07:38 AM
I don't know why you guys complain about Fosgate amps so much. I mean, how many amps can pump out the music and cook you burgers at the same time?
It's called "dual purpose"...

riverbound
12-24-2003, 08:20 AM
We use the RF power series amps and they do get hot, but they work better than most amps we have also used the phoenix gold amps (but they are very pricey)

NashvilleBound
12-26-2003, 03:08 PM
So, It looks like ROZ will get a free pool deck out of this:rolleyes: I wrote to John West but he hasn't written back with the tower maker and info. Soon as that gets dialed in, the stereos next.
We still have 3 months till full time boating season anyways......
And thanks to everyone for all the info!

77charger
12-26-2003, 03:22 PM
I have an X TANT x604 amp and it seems to work very good for my application.Got the hook up from roz told him what i wanted out of a stereo system and a price i could affford to pay.
Sony 630 head unit(neighbor)
6 disc changer(neighbor)
from roz
xtant amp
kicker sub
4 boston 6x9s
all wiring and fuses i think i spent about 1100 total:)

riverbound
12-26-2003, 03:34 PM
77, you said $1100 ? that seems awfully high for a 4 channel amp four speakers decka nd changer, was it installed?

77charger
12-26-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
77, you said $1100 ? that seems awfully high for a 4 channel amp four speakers decka nd changer, was it installed? Ok try this get a price on a sony cd630 head unit-279.00
xtxnt x604-retail for about 900.00
kicker sub L5 w/box-i think 280?
cd changer goes for about 200
4 boston acoustics go for around 140 a pair
misc wiring rca cables,4 gage amp wire fuses.etc
adds up to near 1700 plus misc stuff i think i totaled about 2300 in retail pricing but paid around 1100.This wasnt your average amp either its only a 600 but i would put it up against any fosgate,sony 1000 watter easily.It can run easily below 1 ohm without overheating
i did the install myself took me all day but the sound is very good I could have gone with a fosgate,sony xplode amps and speakers for half the cost but it would have sounded half as good also.I had a limit of about 1200 to spend and got very good deals thru roz and all has a warranty too

NashvilleBound
12-31-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by 77charger
Ok try this get a price on a sony cd630 head unit-279.00
xtxnt x604-retail for about 900.00
kicker sub L5 w/box-i think 280?
cd changer goes for about 200
4 boston acoustics go for around 140 a pair
misc wiring rca cables,4 gage amp wire fuses.etc
adds up to near 1700 plus misc stuff i think i totaled about 2300 in retail pricing but paid around 1100.This wasnt your average amp either its only a 600 but i would put it up against any fosgate,sony 1000 watter easily.It can run easily below 1 ohm without overheating
i did the install myself took me all day but the sound is very good I could have gone with a fosgate,sony xplode amps and speakers for half the cost but it would have sounded half as good also.I had a limit of about 1200 to spend and got very good deals thru roz and all has a warranty too
Roz has the hookup for sure! Sounds to me you got a good deal on your stuff too...

NashvilleBound
01-01-2004, 08:49 AM
Hey Rio, Thanks for the offer. I was waiting for John to get me in the door . He's just probably on one of his round-the-world vacations. I'll try him again this week then move on. Ski season will be here before we know it...thankfully!
NB