PDA

View Full Version : XM or Sirius?

79Hawaiian
12-23-2003, 09:04 AM
XM is cheaper but the Sirius site says that XM just rebroadcasts the same shit that is on FM; commercials and all. If I have to pay for it I don't think I should have to listen to commercials. What I can't figure out is if all channels are like that or just some.
Also Sirius says they have superior coverage. I am wondering if that is really an issue to be concerned about, is XM flaky?

79Hawaiian
12-23-2003, 01:46 PM
just found that XM has both commercial and commercial-free.

riverbound
12-23-2003, 04:55 PM
I have XM and have been very happy with their product. I have had many customers come in and want to change their service from sirrius to xm. They said that xm has a better variety.

79Hawaiian
12-23-2003, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by riverbound
I have XM and have been very happy with their product. I have had many customers come in and want to change their service from sirrius to xm. They said that xm has a better variety.
Interesting... How about XM tuners. I was thinking about buying the new Roady that I could use in my truck and boat. Do these portables suck or are they good? Do auto antennas work on boats?

riverbound
12-24-2003, 08:17 AM
Yes, you can use the roady in your boat and truck, the only problem is the roady does not have any mounting hardware so it will bounce around in the boat. you would be better off using the sky fi tuner because it comes with a mounting bracket that will hold the tuner. You can use the automotive antenna in your boat also that is all we use in the boats that we build and have no problems with them.

ROZ
12-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Xm does have more stations, but also has more inner XM radio commercials...They advertise their other stations.
I've had peeps switch from both XM to Sirrus, and Sirrus to XM...It really depends on the programming you want. Check out both of their websites for tuning info..
There is truth to the angle of the Satellites that are in our orbit.
I also recommend the Delphi Sky-Fi protable XM because it has the most available accessories, works in a variety of locations(boombox available, too), and easy to use.
I have XM...

Dr. Eagle
12-24-2003, 02:54 PM
I worked for the engineering firm that did Sirius' RF Engineering. I believe that they actually only have 2 satellites unlike XM that I believe has either 5 or 7. Sirius uses some terrestrial repeaters to fill in holes in cities and other shaded areas, and I think XM does to a lesser extent. XM has both commercial free and commercial impregnated programming, and Sirius is all commercial free.
Personally I think I'd go with XM due to the superior satellite constellation.
:D

Faster Daddy
12-30-2003, 12:44 AM
I put the XM Ski-fi tuner in Truck/Boat. I've had it now for about 3 months and really like it. Very rarley do I lose a signal and have been able to use it from Catalina to Havasu. The bracket either swivel mounts or flush mounts and dosen't look bad in the boat. Also comes with a remote if you want to hide it. For the money you can't go wrong. IMHO :D

ROZ
12-30-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Faster Daddy
Very rarley do I lose a signal and have been able to use it from Catalina to Havasu.
I've had no troubles as well. I've been down as far as an hour past Ensenada without any problems. A friend of mine has been 5oo miles down into Mexico and still received signal w/o a glich.
DR. Eagle,
We were told that eventhough XM has more satellites they are lower to the horizon, thus they are the provider that has more satellite repeaters. Sirrus may have less satelites, but they are higher so less repeaters were needed. A trucker customer of mine has had both and prefers Sirrus. The reason he switched was because XM dropped the "truckers" country music station, but he found that he has less problems with signal dropout when driving through steep mountain terrain.
This information is what our Alpine rep and Kenwood rep have told us, as well as our regional trainers have instructed us on via powerpoint presentation.
You worked there so you may be privy to more information than us.... I've been wrong before... Thanks...

79Hawaiian
01-14-2004, 12:13 AM
I ended up buying a XM Roady and I love it. One thing I was not looking forward to is putting that stupid antenna on the top of my truck. I put it in the corner of my dash and it works great! I get full signal. Easy install.