PDA

View Full Version : '89 Ultra 20' Jet Needed For Test

Boatcop
12-23-2003, 02:37 PM
I posted this on the "Just Jets" board, but figured I'd get greater exposure here.
I'm working with a firm that needs a 1989 20'6" Ultra with Berkely Jet to test turning capabilities and steering reaction in the Southern California area.
This is to re-create an accident, and see how the boat reacts to throttle and helm input. THERE WILL BE NO OTHER BOATS INVOLVED so risk of damage to the boat is minimal. They will probably allow the owner to operate the boat throughout the test. Engine in the accident boat was a 455 Olds, but any bigblock should suffice, since mid range turning ability is what matters.
Expenses (travel to a suitable lake, meals, etc.), launch or other fees, and payment for your time and trouble will be handled through the firm.
If you have a boat that meets the above description please EMAIL (boatcop@boatcop.com) me or send a private message.
Thanks

rvrtoy
12-23-2003, 03:31 PM
Sounds like the same boat an attorney was looking for here a few months ago with no luck.

RandyH
12-23-2003, 03:39 PM
Dear Alan,
I respect your opinions and your input on this forum. This topic has come up before and the last time was the firm looking for help. I got to ask you why would you help out this attorney. :eek:
Who is he representing? I think that is a fair question to ask if you want help from the ***boat community.
If he is just searching for deep pockets here then I say he can go straight to hell. If this guy is going after one of us or our suppliers why in the world would we want to help him. Maybe he can help put CP out of business, Maybe Ultra, Maybe the guy who last tuned the impeller, Maybe the motor builder, I mean WTF. Cant an accident just be the operators fault??? Its like the prop guard issue. Its Mercurys fault. Right.
Maybe I am off point here and if I am please disregard this but I smell a rat.:(
RandyH

Havasu_Dreamin
12-23-2003, 03:56 PM
Read Alan's post in Just Jets (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37096) . Ultra is trying to help locate a boat. If the builder is helping locate a boat for the test it would seem to me that they are trying to help Ultra in this, not go after the deep pockets.

THOR
12-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Not all lawsuits have to do with 'ambulance chasing'. I perform scientific research for litigation support and am very busy in doing so. Although I work with lawyers, not all are scumbags like you think. Many work in product defects or liability in an attempt to save lives.

rvrtoy
12-23-2003, 04:40 PM
It appears there is some sort of mis-understanding regarding my earlier post.
Just for the record Ultra Custom Boats is NOT in any way assisting anyone related to this lawsuit. Not Boat Cop (no offense) not the law firm and not the plaintiff.
We at Ultra will not condone or assist in any sort of lawsuits, frivolous or otherwise.

Boatcop
12-23-2003, 04:42 PM
[ I got to ask you why would you help out this attorney.
Who is he representing? I think that is a fair question to ask if you want help from the ***boat community.
I do side work in Investigations and Expert Testimony for Attorneys in boating accident cases that neither I nor my Department was involverd in.
As I'm under retainer to them, I'm not free to discuss who is involved. All I can say is that Ultra is not the subject of the action.
The re-creation is needed to determine precise angles, and provide a better understanding of the impact dynamics.
Thanks Again.
Posted

Boatcop
12-23-2003, 04:48 PM
RvrToy,
My apologies to you and Ultra if I drug you into this. I was led to believe that they had spoken to Ultra. They said that you were trying to find a boat, and advised them of the differences between hull designs.
I can't believe that a Lawyer would actually mislead me. :rolleyes: :eek:
Again, my apologies.

rvrtoy
12-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
RvrToy,
My apologies to you and Ultra if I drug you into this. I was led to believe that they had spoken to Ultra. They said that you were trying to find a boat, and advised them of the differences between hull designs.
I can't believe that a Lawyer would actually mislead me. :rolleyes: :eek:
Again, my apologies.
No problem Alan. I did briefly speak with an assistant to the attorney, but I never did offer to help them locate a simular vessel.:cool:

RandyH
12-23-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
[
I do side work in Investigations and Expert Testimony for Attorneys in boating accident cases that neither I nor my Department was involverd in.
As I'm under retainer to them, I'm not free to discuss who is involved. All I can say is that Ultra is not the subject of the action.
The re-creation is needed to determine precise angles, and provide a better understanding of the impact dynamics.
Thanks Again.
Posted
OK Alan , I respect your confidentalitly agreement with your client. Maybe you can explain this or shed some light on what this one post wonder stated here before.
This is direct from Mr BruBaker himself.
I need to borrow/purchase a 1989 Ultra 20 XT with an E pump for use in ligtigation proceedings. My client's husband was killed riding a personal water craft on the Colorado River last summer when he collided with a 1989 Ultra Boat. I need to know turning characteristics of the Ultra 20 XT and complete tests with a consultant. It will only take part of a day. We are in San Diego but are willing to travel if someone is willing to assist us in this effort. Please email us if you can help in any way: abrubaker@wgbrlaw.com
It would appear to me that this guy is going directly after the Manufactor of the boat and pump and more than likely the owner of the boat and his insurance company. Heck he is even willing to purchase one.
Now if I was the owner of the 89 Ultra and my ass was in court I would be glad to let you borrow my boat for these tests. If the guy owns a 89 Ultra , then he is just an average Joe, out enjoying his weekend. You cant draw blood from a turnip. I would have to deduce that Mr Brubaker is going after deeper pockets here.
OK enough said, enjoy the retainer and Merry Christmas. Like I said before Alan. I respect what you do and your opinions. This message board is all about helping others and learning and when you come on here looking for help finding a type of boat then it peaks our interests. :confused:
RandyH

Boatcop
12-24-2003, 05:38 AM
RandyH,
That is the case I'm assisting on. I didn't know that Brubaker had made the request before. The Ultra that was involved was totaled and can't be used.
Ultra in 1989 and Ultra now have different owners. The Ultra of today has no liability for a product made by a previous owner.
It's common in accidents to recreate conditions and see how the boats (or even cars for that matter) handle.
Thanks.

rvrtoy
12-24-2003, 09:40 AM
Boatcop,
Good luck in your search and have a very Merry Christmas and a safe New Year.:)