PDA

View Full Version : Gettin a new truck.....Question is..............

clownpuncher
12-26-2003, 10:37 AM
Which one? It's gonna be a lease for sure (business wise it makes more sense in my case)
I've got an 01 Ford F250 4x4 7.3 with 30,000 miles now but the lease is coming up. I have lots of equity in it and I'll probably sell to a private party
I need 4 doors, I want it lifted, dvd with screens in both the headrests and one up front, On Star, Diesel, 4x4 alluminum wheels yada yada yada. I'm looking at both Ford (preferrably without the 6.0, unless they've fixed the bugs) and Chevy with the Duramax.
OK, lets hear it. Which way should I go and why?
He he....As I was writing this post I just got two calls from Ford and Chevy, here's what they said.........
Chevy 04 can give me everything BUT the front dvd screen (they stated safety reasons) for 52,162.00
Ford has an 04 demo with 4000 miles. No dvd yet, 8 inch fabtech and the basic goodies.........57,000.
WTF is that?
Anyhow, I'm still willing to soak up all you have to say, so thanks in advance
ROC

BADBLOWN572
12-26-2003, 11:10 AM
Clown,
I have an '03 F-250 crew cab 4x4 with the 6.0 in it and I have not had any problems with the truck. I have had it since April 27th, and I have 26,500 miles on the truck. On the freeway at 70mph I get 22mpg and around town I average between 17-19mpg depending on how I drive it. Right now my truck is all stock and even stock I love it. Been thinking about lifting it for a while, just have to sack up and do it. The truck can tow my boat fully loaded up Cajon pass on cruise at 75mph and not have any problems. I had an 02 GMC 4x4 with the duramax before this truck and I am glad that I switched.

LASERRAY
12-26-2003, 11:15 AM
GET THE CUMMINGS!:cool:

clownpuncher
12-26-2003, 11:16 AM
Thanks Blown
My issues with the 6.0 aren't with the power. I know it has plenty. It's with all the other things I've heard about, injectors, leaking etc.
Dang boy, over 26.000 in 8 months? You gotta love what you're drivin to be in it that much
:D
Thanks for the input.

BADBLOWN572
12-26-2003, 11:25 AM
No worries. I havent had any problems with the engine. The turbo started to howl one time and so I took it in and they re-programed the ECU and it was done. The only other problem that I had was the brakes. I was coming back from a lake up North and when going over the Grapevine I guess the brakes got too hot and caused the pads and rotors to get messed up. Took it back in and said that I bought the truck specifically for towing and if it won't handle a simple tow up and down the grapevine, I will need another truck. They gave me new rotors and new pads without question. Since that, no problems what so ever.

JetBoatRich
12-26-2003, 11:53 AM
I bought the F-350 Crew Cab 4X4 dually (Lariat), 6.0PSD last August. 9,500 miles and no complaints. Lots of room and power. The only question I have is the price you wrote seems a little high.

BADBLOWN572
12-26-2003, 12:18 PM
Jet I have to agree with you. I got my truck which has the Lariat package, 4x4, fully loaded, out the door for under $41k. If done right, I would guess $50k fully decked out setup exactly how you want it. $9k goes a long way in aftermarket accessories.

Kilrtoy
12-26-2003, 12:23 PM
THOSE PRICES ARE IN PESO's RIGHT.
I was looking at an 04 Ford 4x4 diesel crew cab with everything but the DVD and onstar for 43K. It had a tricked out front and rear end and was lifted 6".I just could not justify that type of money for something that is never driven.......

Havasu Hangin'
12-26-2003, 12:37 PM
I think the DVD up front is illegal (like having a TV up front)....distraction to the driver?

JetBoatRich
12-26-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
THOSE PRICES ARE IN PESO's RIGHT.
I was looking at an 04 Ford 4x4 diesel crew cab with everything but the DVD and onstar for 43K. It had a tricked out front and rear end and was lifted 6".I just could not justify that type of money for something that is never driven.......
Thought you said the Mrs. only drives the truck now:D

Kilrtoy
12-26-2003, 02:39 PM
She has been,
Its getting better mileage with every fill up
1st 8.5 MPG
2nd 9.4 MPG
3rd 10.1 MPG
im getting excited.

Kilrtoy
12-26-2003, 02:40 PM
Oh yeah at those prices I have a bridge in Brooklyn and beach front property in MONTANA to sell you VERY CHEAP:rolleyes:

12-26-2003, 03:03 PM
TVv in front right visor is illegal, but it can be put in by the
right people, it works great and if your like me what the
wife and grand kids watch my eyes are on the road

unleashed
12-26-2003, 03:49 PM
8500 miles in 4 months and tows like a monster. So far not a hicup. Headed to Glamis in the morning for a week. This thing pulls like a monster. Im very happy with my decision. Goodluck with yours. Like people have said before there are lemons with any vehicle make you buy weather Chevy or Ford. I looked at both Ford and Chevy and the deciding factor was the room in the Ford for my family! By the way I paid 46,000 for mine with the 8 inch lift, weld wheels, tvs in the headrest, white custom interior and DVD.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil: http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/249glamistruck1.JPG

twistedpair
12-26-2003, 04:39 PM
The first 6.0 powerstrokes definitely had some problems, but supposedly those problems were rectified in trucks with a build date post sept. '03.
Try here (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/) for more info.
Personally, I have a '00 Cummins (which I just replaced the fuel pump in) with 55k otherwise trouble-free miles. My buddy just got tne new H.O. cummins and loves it and, unfortunatly, kicks my ass!:(

victorfb
12-26-2003, 06:24 PM
i just picked up an 04 F550 4x4 lariat with everything i could think of. i went back and forth with the 7.3 VS 6.0 and decided to go with the 6.0 only 750 miles so far so i cannot give any input on the problems, but i researched the heck out of it and like mentioned before, they seem to have resolved the problems with both the injectors and the ecm unit. im sure your not looking for that heavy duty of a truck, but i can tell you this. even with it being a heavy monster, it has some balls. ive got nothing against GMs and i do like the duramax, they just didnt have anything that competed with the F550. plus i definatly prefer the striaght axle front end that ford has to the IFS GM uses. prior truck was a 91 GMC 4x4 duelly. that thing seems like a winkie pop now...:D

Havasu Cig
12-26-2003, 06:31 PM
I would not go with the Ford because of the Problems I, (and my buddy), have had with the new 6.0. That is just my opinion.
As far as price goes, the above prices sound a little high to me. We just got our new Chevy for about 43k. List was about 48k, but I would never pay near list for a vehicle.
We got an 04 crew cab, 4x4, 2500 HD with the Duramax and Allison. We got the LT package which is the best (leather, heated seats, On Star, ect...) DVD System, Bose stereo with XM, We got every option available.
I would buy the truck and have the lift done after the purchase. It sounds like the dealership is marking the lift and rims and tires way up on you. Just my.02.

victorfb
12-26-2003, 10:02 PM
im not so sure about getting the lift aftermarket. let the dealer install it so it will be under warranty. a friend of mine bought a 1500 lifted from the dealership, he broke the IFS system twice (aluminium case). it was a bitch setting everything up so he could make it home, the dealer first tried to say it was because of the lift. all he had to say was "but you guys installed it" and the dealership warranteed it and he was good to go. i dont think he would have had any luck if he would have had the lift installed after purchase.

rrrr
12-26-2003, 11:08 PM
My 6.0 Ex kicks butt. I had to take it in for EPROM fixes but that's all. It freekin' hauls ass, tows great, and gets good mileage.
Dunno about those prices. I paid $42K for a loaded Ex, list was over $50K.

Havasu Cig
12-27-2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by victorfb
im not so sure about getting the lift aftermarket. let the dealer install it so it will be under warranty. a friend of mine bought a 1500 lifted from the dealership, he broke the IFS system twice (aluminium case). it was a bitch setting everything up so he could make it home, the dealer first tried to say it was because of the lift. all he had to say was "but you guys installed it" and the dealership warranteed it and he was good to go. i dont think he would have had any luck if he would have had the lift installed after purchase.
I hear what you are saying, but 10k extra for a lift is a big chunk of change. :confused:

Jordy
12-27-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by clownpuncher
It's with all the other things I've heard about, injectors, leaking etc.
They have a nasty habit of breaking cranks too. Then there's the tranny... :)

clownpuncher
12-27-2003, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I'm definately gonna have the dealer do the aftermarket stuff. Since it's a lease I can't see my self putting in several thousand dollars worth of cool shit just to turn it in 3 three years down the road.
The prices I posted are high, but I bet they come down rapidly in the next few days before the end of the year. We'll see.
I love getting new cars/trucks, I just hate having to go through the buying process :yuk:

victorfb
12-27-2003, 11:45 AM
i did the phone calls to differant dealers, stopping at all the dealers i could find, and all the shopping bit. i ended up going through "autoland" in anehiem. we went through the credit union and autoland is in the same building so when i talked to them, they asked what i wanted, i gave them the list and they had THE lowest price. F550s are not easy to deal on. fleet sales is a totally differant animal. and autoland did it all. easiest auto purchase ive ever done. good luck and enjoy your new truck.:D

Mrs. Restless22
12-28-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by unleashed
8500 miles in 4 months and tows like a monster. So far not a hicup. Headed to Glamis in the morning for a week. This thing pulls like a monster. Im very happy with my decision. Goodluck with yours. Like people have said before there are lemons with any vehicle make you buy weather Chevy or Ford. I looked at both Ford and Chevy and the deciding factor was the room in the Ford for my family! By the way I paid 46,000 for mine with the 8 inch lift, weld wheels, tvs in the headrest, white custom interior and DVD.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil: http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/249glamistruck1.JPG
unleashed, i want to pick your brain a bit... My hubby is shopping right now for a ford or chevy. We are really leaning towards a ford. We already have a set of weld wheels and 37" ssr's for it. So my question is what lift and tire size is on your bad ass truck? And how does it ride? Thanks for your input! :D
Mrs. 22

Sherpa
12-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Victorfb, sounds like you're truck is exactly what I've been wanting for about 3 years....
the 19 wheels are kinda goofy, but alcoa makes 19s, or 20's.
I like the H U G E front rotors on the f-450/550..... (I have a 1990
f-2504x4, and I've lost all braking from boiling the front brakes
3 times.......... fully loaded with a cabover/boat/lotsa gear. very
scary....... never again another ford automatic-3/4 ton brakes...
It sure seems impossible to imagine a loaded pickup costing near
or over 50k.................. I can't imagine the payments... or insurance...
--Sherpa got pics of the f-550-?

hd&boatrider
01-04-2004, 09:40 AM
I just bought an '04 Silverado LT 2500 with a 9" Fabtech lift. It has the 6 liter. The color is the Arrival Blue Metallic and looks very nice. Had to buy something by 12-31 and I am happy about it. Now I have the Ford and Chev outside....WTF!
They came down $4k on it and I got 0% financing for 5 years. They had a 2500. rebate or the financing option.

Speedin' Ian
01-04-2004, 10:52 AM
I have 2000 Superduty with the V10 and it is a great truck, lots of room, tows anything, easy to lift, and sounds great with a big flowmaster. Mileage is between 9-12 depending on how I drive it, and that is with a 4in lift. My dad (DragboatDad) has an 04 with the 6.0 and it has been a great truck, so problems what so ever. Also a couple of my friends work for ford and I have never heard of a crank snapping

TexasJet
01-04-2004, 01:04 PM
I have a Ford 03 F250 Crew Cab Turbo Diesel (not the new smaller diesel). We do a lot of camping and before I bought mine I talked to alot of campers that had Ford Diesels. There comments were always the same, they loved their Fords. Also in the parks where we camp I noticed the ratio was about 10 Fords to 1 Dodge or Chevy. I have had mine 15 months and couldn't be happier. Hope this helps.