PDA

View Full Version : Injured passengers

Kachina26
12-27-2003, 02:49 PM
Anyone ever have a skier fall down, get hurt, and then tag your insurance? This happened to me, longtime "friend" fell while wake boarding. I didn't pull him through the toulies or anything, he was cutting back in toward the wake and just fell. Afterward he said his neck really hurt and asked if our insurance covered skiers. We thought he was kidding, turned out he wasn't. A few weeks later he emailed me asking for the phone number for my insurance co. Long story short they found that I was not liable, but paid out my max medical to him anyway. Not sure how to react, I haven't talked to him since and even if I did I would not allow him on my boat, in my vehicle or on my property for that matter, for fear of being sued if he trips or something. Oh yeah, come to find out, he had a few vertebre in his neck fused together years before! Seems to me that's when you give up skiing/wakeboarding for good.

ratso
12-27-2003, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't speak to him ever again.

Rexone
12-27-2003, 03:09 PM
"Friends" don't sue friends for dumb shit that is their own fault. Period.
For that matter no one should sue anyone for shit that's their own damn fault. (but that's a whole nother discussion).
You didn't lose a friend, you cleared your life of an asshole parasite IMO.

riverbound
12-27-2003, 03:15 PM
I would find him and then make sure he really does fall and hurt his neck:mad:

Kachina26
12-27-2003, 03:19 PM
That's kinda how I felt about it. In his mind, I think he believes that he was dinging the insurance company. But we all know that insurance companies don't lose money they get it back one way or another. It just totally blew me away, I didn't know if I should be pissed (which I was) or what. I felt like I was being sued even though we didn't go to court. I could see it if I did something stupid to cause his injury. Maybe I should have filed a claim agianst myself when I hurt my shoulder while engaged in the same activity.

Windy
12-27-2003, 03:34 PM
Man...some people. :yuk:

LASERRAY
12-27-2003, 03:38 PM
Your better without your "Friend" around. The sky's the limit with these dirtbags as far as litigation goes. I wouldn't welcome him aboard ever again! You've probably leant this "Friend" money at some point of your friendship, and he probably never paid you back. You don't need him in your life. Think of it as Addition By Subtraction.

JetBoatRich
12-27-2003, 04:01 PM
Great guy to not have as a friend any more:o You would think he would tell you what was going on before the claims started to come in in.
:mad: :mad:
should have left him in the middle of the lake when he fell, of course that would be worst as far as law suits. What if he never was on the boat;)

Kilrtoy
12-27-2003, 04:16 PM
ARE YOU FU#$*N KIDDING ME.
I was towing my buddy on the tub and he dislocated his shoulder. So I took him to the ramp and called for an Ambulance (WE WERE IN LAKE MOHAVE). So they come and then the next thing I know this dumb ass park ranger takes a Accident report. I said what for, he fell while tubing, He said he had to, I SAID NO ONE ASKED FOR YOU.
My buddy felt so bad, he said I should have dumped him at the ramp and left, he wouldnt tell anyone who he was with .
THATS A FRIEND, but to late.......

Kachina26
12-27-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
Great guy to not have as a friend any more:o You would think he would tell you what was going on before the claims started to come in in.
:mad: :mad:
should have left him in the middle of the lake when he fell, of course that would be worst as far as law suits. What if he never was on the boat;) He told me what was going on, but it didn't change the state of shock I was in. And yeah I lent him money, well I gave it to him so I wouldn't have to go through the bs of trying to get it back.

Cas
12-27-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Rexone
"Friends" don't sue friends for dumb shit that is their own fault. Period.
For that matter no one should sue anyone for shit that's their own damn fault. (but that's a whole nother discussion).
You didn't lose a friend, you cleared your life of an asshole parasite IMO.
ditto!

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by titties and beer
i think i know that asshole ,is his name bill?
I think it is "Unexpected Bill"

Mrs. Restless22
12-27-2003, 04:34 PM
What a bunch of "CRAP!!!!"
Get rid of him.
What do we have to do nowadays? Get people to sign a ****ing waiver before they ride in our boats?
bullshit....

1Bahnerjet
12-27-2003, 04:35 PM
In Case's like this you have to look at the Sliver Lining, You Lost a Friend but not Your Money. It could have been Worst, if you had a Jet Boat you may not have the Insurance to Begin with, the medical Bills would come out of your Pocket, something to think about.

Mrs. Restless22
12-27-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by 1Bahnerjet
In Case's like this you have to look at the Sliver Lining, You Lost a Friend but not Your Money. It could have been Worst, if you had a Jet Boat you may not have the Insurance to Begin with, the medical Bills would come out of your Pocket, something to think about.
Makes you think twice about how good of insurance you have huh?

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Mrs. Restless22
Makes you think twice about how good of insurance you have huh?
Sure makes you glad you opted for the "skier coverage". I have thought about not paying for the option, but I am glad I spent the extra 15 bucks or whatever it was....

Mrs. Restless22
12-27-2003, 04:45 PM
For $15 a year, do it.
I wouldnt skimp on anything when it comes to insurance on your boat, chances are if you get into an accident in your boat, someone is getting hurt. Its unforunate, but there is always the risk.

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 04:48 PM
For $15 a year, do it.
I wouldnt skimp on anything when it comes to insurance on your boat, chances are if you get into an accident in your boat, someone is getting hurt. Its unforunate, but there is always the risk.
Yep the risk of losing your house and everything else you own...
That is why I also have a 1 million umbrella...covers excess liability on the house, cars and boat and only costs about $350 a year...

Mrs. Restless22
12-27-2003, 04:50 PM
Your smarter then you think!
I work in insurance, and and umbrella is the best policy you can buy for yourself, for protection.
1mil on the umbrella, along with 1mil on your auto/home policies, your in good shape.
People are so damn sue happy nowadays, its not worth the risk.

1Bahnerjet
12-27-2003, 04:53 PM
Mrs. Restless22,
Your in Insurance ? then you know how Ins. Co. just LOVE jetboats.:rolleyes:

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 04:53 PM
Insurance is one of those things you hate to pay for until you need it. I'd rather play it safe than sorry. It has taken too many years to acumulate all of the goodies that make my life so cush...(kidding), but i could not imagine losing my house...that would kill me....

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 04:58 PM
Mrs. Restless22,
Your in Insurance ? then you know how Ins. Co. just LOVE jetboats.:rolleyes:
They love Cats a lot less than Jet Boats. I was going to buy an Eliminator 21' Daytona with a Jet and had no trouble finding insurance from a couple of companies. I was surprised because other friends have found it impossible to get insurance on CATs or Tunnel Hulls with big I/Os...
Progressive wouldn't quote, but Boat US and Farmers would.

Mrs. Restless22
12-27-2003, 05:01 PM
Im not to sure who you guys are shopping through, but AAA will do a 21' cat with no problem, and jets arent a big deal either.
Unless of course we are talking a 500+ hp motor, or something over 75k inurance needed.
Our 22' cat with 330hp is $400 a year, with 1 million liability.
I always just tell people, do your shopping, there are always better rates out there.

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 05:02 PM
Im not to sure who you guys are shopping through, but AAA will do a 21' cat with no problem, and jets arent a big deal either.
Unless of course we are talking a 500+ hp motor, or something over 75k inurance needed.
Our 22' cat with 330hp is $400 a year, with 1 million liability.
I always just tell people, do your shopping, there are always better rates out there.
That was kind of my message, I had no trouble finding insurance with only a few calls......
But Progressive and Allstate turn their noses up to Cats....

Wicky
12-27-2003, 05:03 PM
Time for a Blanket Party for your ex-friend!!!

Mrs. Restless22
12-27-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
That was kind of my message, I had no trouble finding insurance with only a few calls......
Gotcha:wink:

1Bahnerjet
12-27-2003, 05:06 PM
Its not so much the Jet Drive, its the Open Engine & Bassett Headers they don't Like. When your Honest with the Ins. Co. they turn you Down.

Mrs. Restless22
12-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Best to be honest with them, you dont want them to be able to find any loopholes when youve got someone sueing you.
You'll pay more for that "***boat" but make sure youve got that coverage!:wink:

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 05:18 PM
You can try Boat US on line, progressive is pretty weak....they don't like anything fast. Westpac is another specialty boat insurance company. It is not like you are insuring Howard Arnesons boat...you should have little trouble getting covered...
But it will cost a bit more than your average "Gayliner"

Mrs. Restless22
12-27-2003, 05:22 PM
But it will cost a bit more than your average "Gayliner" [/B][/QUOTE]
:eek: :D :eek: :D :eek:
Baahhaahhhhhaa

Rexone
12-27-2003, 05:23 PM
When your Honest with the Ins. Co. they turn you Down.
But when you're not and then have a serious claim they will turn your claim down and deny coverage because you weren't honest on the application. Pay more up front for the right coverage or risk losing all in event of serious mishap.

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 05:27 PM
Absolutely. If you lie about anything that would affect a coverage decision, such as grossly underestimate the speed or horsepower, you really have no insurance...:(

Tom Brown
12-27-2003, 05:44 PM
God bless Canada.

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
God bless Canada.
Take off you hoser...Eh?
:D :D :D :D

LASERRAY
12-27-2003, 06:56 PM
But Progressive and Allstate turn their noses up to Cats.... Hell, Allstate turned-up their nose to my V-Hull.:mad:

LASERRAY
12-27-2003, 06:59 PM
God bless Canada. Tom, you're off the wall hoser!:D

LASERRAY
12-27-2003, 07:01 PM
You can try Boat US on line, progressive is pretty weak....they don't like anything fast. Westpac is another specialty boat insurance company. It is not like you are insuring Howard Arnesons boat...you should have little trouble getting covered...
But it will cost a bit more than your average "Gayliner" That's funny that you say that because I found just the opposite to be true. Allstate wouldn't touch my "Rocketship" and Progressive gave me no Hassle at all.

Rexone
12-27-2003, 07:49 PM
God bless Canada.
I hear ya Tom
Canada Rocks (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031228/ap_on_re_us/mad_cow&cid=519&ncid=716)

Kilrtoy
12-27-2003, 07:51 PM
I have allstate and they gave me no hassle,
But then again no claim in 4 years.
DAMN MY BOAT IS OLD,
I NEED A NEW ONE

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
That's funny that you say that because I found just the opposite to be true. Allstate wouldn't touch my "Rocketship" and Progressive gave me no Hassle at all.
Well, Progressive wouldn't even consider my eliminator because it was faster than 70MPH, and Allstate signed me right up...

Tom Brown
12-27-2003, 08:08 PM
Canada Rocks (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20031228/ap_on_re_us/mad_cow&cid=519&ncid=716)
... so sue us.

twistedpair
12-27-2003, 08:15 PM
We'd only get 65 cents to the dollar!;) That'd barely pay the lawyers.

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 08:24 PM
... so sue us.
I've got a better idea (http://www.dowdyb.com/hobbies/southpark/nuts.wav)

LASERRAY
12-27-2003, 08:24 PM
Well, Progressive wouldn't even consider my eliminator because it was faster than 70MPH, and Allstate signed me right up... WOW! You must live on the other side of the Equator!:D I was told the EXACT same reason from Allstate, and again, no Hassle from Prog.:confused:

Sleek-Jet
12-27-2003, 08:26 PM
Is that $1 mil liability on your boat smooth coverage or is it $100,000 per occurense???
How much for each additional $1,000 over the mill, or is more coverage available???

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 08:31 PM
WOW! You must live on the other side of the Equator!:D I was told the EXACT same reason from Allstate, and again, no Hassle from Prog.:confused:
I'm confused too, but I had been insured by Allstate on my prior three boats to the tune of about 15 years...might have had something to do with it.
I am insured by Prog now....just a matter of expediency. I bought the boat in LA and I had been on the road on a business trip for some time. I needed to get it insured to tow it home...so I did it on line. Allstate had changed agents on me twice in two years and I wasn't thrilled with the new one...so I didn't go back.
But Prog turned me down hard for both the Eliminator Eagle and the Daytona. Their web site said they do not consider the Daytona for insurance...period. And like I said, the Eagle was over 70 mph so they said "we do not insure watercraft that can exceed 70 miles per hour"....:confused:

twistedpair
12-27-2003, 08:33 PM
Guys like Kachina26's 'friends' are the reason why our insurance rates are so out of control, or out of reach all together. Too bad people can't take responsibility for their own actions anymore.

BADBLOWN572
12-27-2003, 08:34 PM
In that situation I would be PISSED! You are nice enough to let him use your toys and in return he causes major problems. That is not a friend! There is also a thing called "assumption of risk." You know you could possibly get hurt and do it anyways, then to come back around and F-over your friend that is wrong! I would never trust or be around that person again!

Kachina26
12-27-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
You are nice enough to let him use your toys and in return he causes major problems. That's the F'ed thing, the rope, jacket gloves and board were all his. The only thing that was mine was the boat.........and the insurance! Then he had the audacity to email me back and ask if it was limited to the amount he got per person or that amount per occurance. I think he was trying to make multiple claims! I don't know, I didn't ask, I just replied that was it per person. That was the last communication, and it was back in August. Considering carrying waivers on the boat for people to sign. This person was the last person I would think would do this to me, trusted him with boat, truck whatever.

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
That's the F'ed thing, the rope, jacket gloves and board were all his. The only thing that was mine was the boat.........and the insurance! Then he had the audacity to email me back and ask if it was limited to the amount he got per person or that amount per occurance. I think he was trying to make multiple claims! I don't know, I didn't ask, I just replied that was it per person. That was the last communication, and it was back in August. Considering carrying waivers on the boat for people to sign. This person was the last person I would think would do this to me, trusted him with boat, truck whatever.
I wonder if that is how he is making a living....what a useless anchor on society....

Rexone
12-27-2003, 10:39 PM
K26 you learn alot about a persons character when they have the opportunity to profit at your expense and either take it or do not. Also people that refuse to be responsible for what they do in life is a key indicator. If people have this trait of blaming crap they do on someone else, they do not generally make good friends. Separates the "true" friends from the "convenience" friends real quickly.
Take it for what it's worth, a life lesson, and don't dwell on crap like this. It just eats at you and burns you down mentally. Just my .02.

LASERRAY
12-27-2003, 10:40 PM
I'm confused too, but I had been insured by Allstate on my prior three boats to the tune of about 15 years...might have had something to do with it.
I am insured by Prog now....just a matter of expediency. I bought the boat in LA and I had been on the road on a business trip for some time. I needed to get it insured to tow it home...so I did it on line. Allstate had changed agents on me twice in two years and I wasn't thrilled with the new one...so I didn't go back.
But Prog turned me down hard for both the Eliminator Eagle and the Daytona. Their web site said they do not consider the Daytona for insurance...period. And like I said, the Eagle was over 70 mph so they said "we do not insure watercraft that can exceed 70 miles per hour"....:confused: Juxtapose, almost exactly. I told Progressive that my boat did 80( which i'm sure in hindsight wasn't wise) but they didn't even flinch! The Allstate agent that my wife and I have been with since 1990, told me that he wouldn't touch it.

Tom Brown
12-27-2003, 10:48 PM
Take it for what it's worth, a life lesson, and don't dwell on crap like this.
:) http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif
If you want to improve the world, take your own game up a notch. Don't let this person pull you down.
Hey Mike... I think I dropped 50 bucks in your store when I was looking at that bling bling billet paddle. Did anyone find it?

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 10:49 PM
Juxtapose, almost exactly. I told Progressive that my boat did 80( which i'm sure in hindsight wasn't wise) but they didn't even flinch! The Allstate agent that my wife and I have been with since 1990, told me that he wouldn't touch it.
Ok so did you get it through an agent?

LASERRAY
12-27-2003, 10:52 PM
Ok so did you get it through an agent? Nope. Online.

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 10:54 PM
That is just how I got my rejection notice......:( :confused: :confused:

LASERRAY
12-27-2003, 10:55 PM
six of one, half dozen of the other, I guess.:confused:

Rexone
12-27-2003, 10:59 PM
If you want to improve the world, take your own game up a notch. Don't let this person pull you down.
Hey Mike... I think I dropped 50 bucks in your store when I was looking at that bling bling billet paddle. Did anyone find it?
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused20.gif http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused20.gif
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused24.gif

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 11:02 PM
Didn't you see the sign....there is a $50 admission fee to get into the bling bling store...cuz there is so much bling bling in there...
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tom Brown
12-27-2003, 11:14 PM
Yeah. There is some sweet kit in there.
Mike was a pretty good sport about me pretending to actually have 50 bucks. As if! :D :D :D
http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/img_1278.jpg

Kachina26
12-27-2003, 11:18 PM
Take it for what it's worth, a life lesson, and don't dwell on crap like this.
Thanks for all the input guys, not really dwelling on it. I just never really told anyone about it, and wanted to get some feedback....see if others would react like I did. Sad thing is I think he woulda passed the $50 bill test. His character just lacks in the litigation area.
All this talk about progressive made me give them a call just now to see how they rate against Allstate on my new boat.......Fricken doulble what Allstate is charging me! Guess I'll stay with the good hands.

LASERRAY
12-27-2003, 11:24 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, not really dwelling on it. I just never really told anyone about it, and wanted to get some feedback....see if others would react like I did. Sad thing is I think he woulda passed the $50 bill test. His character just lacks in the litigation area.
All this talk about progressive made me give them a call just now to see how they rate against Allstate on my new boat.......Fricken doulble what Allstate is charging me! Guess I'll stay with the good hands. May I ask what there quote was?:confused:

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 11:26 PM
Yeah. There is some sweet kit in there.
Mike was a pretty good sport about me pretending to actually have 50 bucks. As if! :D :D :D
http://www.CarlsonSpeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/img_1278.jpg
Lotsa shiny metallic stuff... how could you not love that!!!!!
;)

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 11:28 PM
All this talk about progressive made me give them a call just now to see how they rate against Allstate on my new boat.......Fricken doulble what Allstate is charging me! Guess I'll stay with the good hands.
I did a check on my progressive quote after I bought the policy and found I could get similar coverage for a lot less. I just couldnt get it online....

Tom Brown
12-27-2003, 11:28 PM
Lotsa shiny metallic stuff... how could you not love that!!!!!
;)
Indeed. His display case is so clean you can almost see the seminal fluid on my shoe in the reflection.

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 11:29 PM
Indeed. His display case is so clean you can almost see the seminal fluid on my shoe in the reflection.
yeah, you are right....ewwwww

Kachina26
12-27-2003, 11:29 PM
May I ask what there quote was?:confused:
They gave me a range of $1200-$1400, depending on whether I wanted actual cash value policy or the total loss replacement that they offer on brand new boats. I have a 26' Kachina V bottom with 496 HO stock

LASERRAY
12-27-2003, 11:32 PM
They gave me a range of $1200-$1400, depending on whether I wanted actual cash value policy or the total loss replacement that they offer on brand new boats. I have a 26' Kachina V bottom with 496 HO stock :eek: :eek: :eek:
Damn! I got the best insurance that they offer for $750.00 a year. 22' Laser Vision w/ 496MAG.

Kachina26
12-27-2003, 11:36 PM
I have perfect driving record, excellent credit and no claims (except my good buddy) . I don't have home owners or auto with them. Allstate has me at $630, weird how 2 people can get 2 very different quotes, huh?

Kilrtoy
12-27-2003, 11:38 PM
What
I started at 330 and NO I DID NOT LIE about my huge bone stock 454 that goes 63
I wish I had a big motor buit that is all I could go at the time.....
Its all I need though

LASERRAY
12-27-2003, 11:39 PM
I have perfect driving record, excellent credit and no claims (except my good buddy) . I don't have home owners or auto with them. Allstate has me at $630, weird how 2 people can get 2 very different quotes, huh? It's like they check the price of apples in Japan, and then quote you based on that!:D

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 11:40 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:
Damn! I got the best insurance that they offer for $750.00 a year. 22' Laser Vision w/ 496MAG.
OK I had (note past tense) a 30 foot Eagle with twin 502s cost about 130K new... ins policy was $1,570 from Allstate, 500K liability, actual cash value, tow, usual other riders, no freeze protection. I shopped and shopped that policy and never found anyone better. Closest was Boat US @ 1700. Progressive said NO. Others I checked were over 2K. But the boat would do 85 MPH...

Tom Brown
12-27-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
...I DID NOT LIE about my huge bone stock 454 that goes 63...
I think you did. There's no way that thing could do 63. :D :D :D

LASERRAY
12-27-2003, 11:41 PM
What
I started at 330 and NO I DID NOT LIE about my huge bone stock 454 that goes 63
I wish I had a big motor buit that is all I could go at the time.....
Its all I need though Plus, 63 is fast enough when driving with one hand on the wheel, and the other hand on Mrs. Kilrtoy.:D

LASERRAY
12-27-2003, 11:43 PM
OK I had (note past tense) a 30 foot Eagle with twin 502s cost about 130K new... ins policy was $1,570 from Allstate, 500K liability, actual cash value, tow, usual other riders, no freeze protection. I shopped and shopped that policy and never found anyone better. Closest was Boat US @ 1700. Progressive said NO. Others I checked were over 2K. But the boat would do 85 MPH... Maybe It's YOU!!!:D :D :D

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 11:45 PM
Plus, 63 is fast enough when driving with one hand on the wheel, and the other hand on Mrs. Kilrtoy.:D
I think you would need to use the knee for the boat and both hands for MRS KILRTOY>>>>!!!!

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 11:46 PM
Maybe It's YOU!!!:D :D :D
Could be my magnetic personality....

Tom Brown
12-27-2003, 11:51 PM
I think you did. There's no way that thing could do 63. :D :D :D
Hey Kilr, this was just a joke. I had to go for the easy shot.
... didn't mean to dis your boat. :)

Kilrtoy
12-27-2003, 11:53 PM
Ok,
I have been busted
I pulled a HOT BOAT WRITE UP
it really goes 50 once you get it home

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 11:53 PM
Hey Kilr, this was just a joke. I had to go for the easy shot.
... didn't mean to dis your boat. :)
Yeah, cuz we all know it will do 62!!!!!!!

Kilrtoy
12-27-2003, 11:56 PM
Actually once and I repeat ONCE
when topless saw me and tried to board the boat
I had it at 135 passing Charlies DCB..
Even the boat got scared....

Dr. Eagle
12-27-2003, 11:59 PM
Actually once and I repeat ONCE
when topless saw me and tried to board the boat
I had it at 135 passing Charlies DCB..
Even the boat got scared.... That's right.... it was a calibration issue with the radar gun...something like a factor or 2.3 or so ...:D

Boatcop
12-28-2003, 10:03 AM
Don't be so quick to blame the injured skier in this deal. He probably WAS injured in the mishap and went to get treatment under his own mediacal insurance.
So now you can blame HIS Insurance.
Most Medical/Health Insurance goes secondary when there is an accident involving an insured vehicle (car or boat). The company probably wanted the boat's insurance information to see what covereage they had, and what they could recoup from them.
It's commonplace in the health insurance industry. Go ahead and check your own medical insurance. I'll bet there's a provision for this in your policy, too.
As far as the Ranger taking an accident report, He was right. The boat owner is required under Federal and State Law to report any accident, resulting in damage over $500 (state) or $2,000 (Federal), or ANY injury requiring more than basic first aid, if they result from the operation of a boat. Skiers and tubers included.
In areas where there is Law Enforcement availability, us taking the report meets the requirement placed on the owner. If the owner refuses to cooperate and give the information needed for the report, they can be charged for failing to report the accident.
These reports are for statistical purposes only. They are given to the State Boating Authorities and the Coast Guard to analyze accidents, and try to find ways to prevent them. They are not (as in car crashes) given to any Insurance companies, unless requested for that specific accident.
Also under state and federal law, the information provided on the boat accident form cannot be used in any court action, civil or criminal. This is to be sure we get correct information, without fear on the boaters part that it will be held against them.
When, in the course of our investigation, we believe that there may be a criminal act committed, then the provisions of Miranda kick in, and we have to inform the boater that they have the right to remain silent, etc. etc. etc, and then they can just keep quiet. Any information we collected before that point (except identifying info on the boat, driver, and passengers) can't be used in prosecution.

Sherpa
12-28-2003, 10:10 AM
even with the comments from Boatcop regarding the injured-
persons insurance dealio, the guy who fell while wakeboarding
is still an a-hole..........
if he went to seek treatment for an "injury", any injury, he
should have been a man and just said he has insurance for the
medical visit.............. period.......... what a shitbird.........
I'd tell him straight to his face, with a few other freinds as
witness', that he is no longer welcome, ever, on your property,
or at your work, anyplace, anytime, never.......... done deal.
--Sherpa

Dr. Eagle
12-28-2003, 11:00 AM
OK Alan, I know that is how the insurance industry works...and yes that is one possible scenario...
BUT... IF... (and that is a leap at this point ) that were the case you'd think the clown could have communicated that to the boatowner/driver/"friend". You know...like sorry dude, my medical insurance company like totally refused to cover me, or they insist on contacting you insurance company for something they call like subrogation.
He may have wanted to get treatment for a pre-existing condition that was not covered for some reason by his insurance...if he had any at all who knows???
I still think the guy is a shitwad....

Mrs. Restless22
12-28-2003, 12:45 PM
I have perfect driving record, excellent credit and no claims (except my good buddy) . I don't have home owners or auto with them. Allstate has me at $630, weird how 2 people can get 2 very different quotes, huh?
Just want to put in my $.02 on this statement. Its the stereotype that most insurance companies will do what they can do rip you off (not true), and when you have a situation when 2 people get 2 different quotes, there is a reason....
Different driving records
Boat kept in differnt areas
Different Coverage
Different Discounts (homeowners/auto also with company)
and many more.
Dont fall into the group of people that talk shit about insurance companies, when you dont really know the situation.
There is a reason the price is differnent, and when you say what you said to someone who has the insurance knowledge, they give you the reasons, and set you straight. Just dont want you to think your getting ripped off, because you got a different price. :wink:
Another statement...by laserray
Just because they say you got the best insurance they offer, doesnt mean your covered, at all! The best insurance they offer, could only be $300,000 liability, obviously not enough.
Again, this is just my opinion working in the insurance industry, I dont want anyone to not understand what they have.
:D :D :D :D

Tom Brown
12-28-2003, 12:50 PM
Insurance companies suck. :D

Kilrtoy
12-28-2003, 12:56 PM
INSURANCE is spelled like this,
SCAM
So they are trying to figure out ways to prevent accidents.
DO LET PEOPLE TUBE.......
I have to disagree with that. I can see if the injured party says hey, he was driving reckless and I asked him to stop and he continued......
This is just another reason, COPS are forced to do something that causes the public to dislike them more.......
If the reports are for stats only and have no other merit,
Then why can you be charged with a crime, for refusing to make a report. That makes no sense.....:confused:

Sherpa
12-28-2003, 01:16 PM
here here-!
we need answers-!
I still think the guys an a-hole.
hurt smurt........ he should tell the hospital/doctor/his insurance:
I hurt my xxx, and I need to get healthy again....... no more
info needed to be told....... period.. shitbird.
KIlrtoy had a good point. If the guy was being pulled in a tube,
and wanted the driver to slow down, and driver refused, then
dude got hurt when he fell out. then, yeah, use the boat-owner
insurance....... (If you feel you absolutely MUST)..........
I have had my spine fused also. c-4, c-5,c-6 are all glued
together now........ it hurts daily. when I fell while wakeboarding
this summer behind a freinds boat, I never would have dreamed
of mentioning "insurance" or "doctor" or "coverage per incident".
eeeeeeewwwwweeeee.... the guy is just a problem that needs
to go away.
rant off-
--sherpa

Boatcop
12-28-2003, 02:12 PM
Arizona Law:
C. Whenever death or injury results from any watercraft collision, accident or other casualty, a written report shall be submitted within forty-eight hours. For every other collision, accident or other casualty involving property damage exceeding five hundred dollars, a report shall be submitted within five days after the incident by the operator or owner of the watercraft involved. Written reports shall be submitted directly to the department for use in statistical studies for casualty prevention. Reports shall not be used as evidence in any trial, civil or criminal, arising from any collision, accident or other casualty. Upon request, a report shall be forwarded to the United States coast guard or other authorized federal agency to be used in statistical studies for casualty prevention.
Federal Law:
TITLE 33--NAVIGATION AND NAVIGABLE WATERS
CHAPTER I--COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY (CONTINUED)
PART 173--VESSEL NUMBERING AND CASUALTY AND ACCIDENT REPORTING--Table of Contents
Subpart C--Casualty and Accident Reporting
Sec. 173.55 Report of casualty or accident.
(a) The operator of a vessel shall submit the casualty or accident report prescribed in Sec. 173.57 to the reporting authority prescribed in Sec. 173.59 when, as a result of an occurrence that involves the vessel or its equipment:
(1) A person dies;
(2) A person is injured and requires medical treatment beyond first aid;
(3) Damage to vessels and other property totals $2,000 or more or there is a complete loss of any vessel;
(4) A person disappears from the vessel under circumstances that indicate death or injury.
(b) A report required by this section must be made:
(1) Within 48 hours of the occurrence if a person dies within 24
hours of the occurrence;
(2) Within 48 hours of the occurrence if a person is injured and
requires medical treatment beyond first aid, or disappears from a
vessel; and
(3) Within 10 days of the occurrence or death if an earlier report is not required by this paragraph.
(c) When the operator of a vessel cannot submit the casualty or accident report required by paragraph (a) of this section, the owner shall submit the casualty or accident report.
Under Arizona State Law, failure to report is a Petty Offense with a Max Fine of $300.00. Under Federal Law, there is a civil penalty of up to $1,000.
We don't make the laws. We just enforce them.
Edit: BTW. This is something we're not "forced" to do. The Federal Govt. gives over $50 million dollars a year to the States to manage the Boating Accident Reporting Program. The States then give grants to the various Counties. In other words It's our JOB!"

gnarley
12-28-2003, 03:13 PM
Its the stereotype that most insurance companies will do what they can do rip you off (not true)
I have to respectfully disagree with you Mrs. Restless, insurance companies do whatever they can to raise rates, and their profit.
Unfortunately insurance is a necessary (and in some cases) a mandatory evil. When that happens fairness is thrown out the window and the insurance companies will offer what they can if they feel it is an acceptable risk. The acceptable risk meaning how much would they need to rip off the policyholder before the possibility of a payout. Lets not be stupid here, insurance companies are in business to make money not pay out charity, and too many times a policy holder is penalized for turning in a claim and then being canceled when for years they were a good risk because they made a payment to the insurance co every month without ever having a problem.
Would you have insurance if you didn't have to? I sure wouldn't but as long as there are lawsuits, risk, greed, damages and injuries that you can't pay for out of pocket most of us will need some type of insurance to cover that possible exposure to a risk of loss and that means a profit for someone else.
Just my 02

Kachina26
12-28-2003, 03:26 PM
and when you have a situation when 2 people get 2 different quotes, there is a reason....
I wasn't dogging the insurance companies for the different rates, the whole thing is just weird to me, that's all. My co-worker was complaining about how much he was paying and he was in a similar situation as mine so I turned him on to my broker, and it was more than double me, I just wonder sometimes that's all. This isn't to say that I don't believe the industry as a whole isn't out to make money any way they can, because working around a body shop I know they are. But we won't go there.

Kachina26
12-28-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Boatcop
Don't be so quick to blame the injured skier in this deal. He probably WAS injured in the mishap and went to get treatment under his own mediacal insurance. Oh, he definately was injured in the mishap, the problem was he had NO insurance and was using my boat insurance as his primary form of medical insurance. Seems to me that if, 1. you have serious spinal problems, and 2. you don't have ANY form of medical insurance you should not engage in risky activities. It's almost tantamount to having unprotected sex with a crack ***** on my property and then asking my insurance to cover the cost of treating you for AIDS . I've seen lots of posts elluding to a scam on this guys part, it wasn't a scam in the sense that he was injured, it just seemed like a CS thing to go after my insurance, that's all.