PDA

View Full Version : Paging the Pyramid Posse!!!!

Jetdriver
12-29-2003, 12:42 PM
Hey guys! Well I was just wondering if any of you have done any crown molding in your homes. I will be starting this project this weekend and could use some pointers and maybe even some help...
Thanks
Shawn

JetBoatRich
12-29-2003, 02:50 PM
no, but willing to learn:)
I just tiled the waal around the tub.

BIGAMIST
12-29-2003, 03:19 PM
Go rent a nail-gun:wink:

Jetdriver
12-29-2003, 03:49 PM
Gots the nail gun well actually a brad gun and I just got a compound Miter saw. I just need some help now

JetBoatRich
12-29-2003, 05:37 PM
you going to help me with mine:(

MRS FLYIN VEE
12-29-2003, 05:39 PM
:confused: :D

Kilrtoy
12-29-2003, 05:40 PM
All down stairs, But it was here when we bought,
love it....

Jetdriver
12-29-2003, 07:19 PM
LOL No need I already know Im a stud!

MRS FLYIN VEE
12-29-2003, 07:21 PM
LMAO!! thanks .. and i don't know i never saw you but i guess i can take your word for it.. LOL!! :D :D

MagicMtnDan
12-29-2003, 11:29 PM
Crown molding isn't easy unless you've got lots of experience and even then it can be tough especially if the corners and walls/ceiling aren't square.
If this is your first time, make sure you have lots of extra molding -you're gonna need it.
Click here for some help - be sure to check out the links on the pages (http://www.altereagle.com/How_to_install.html)
Some tips from the above page:
1. Determine which way the joists run, on the walls that are parallel to the crown you'll probably want to place a "backer" if you
are using larger than 4 3/4 crown. Keep that backing a 1/4" off of the spring angle and screw it into the top plates of the wall.
Locate your studs & joists and mark them so you'll get good contact use 8d in the centers & 6d towards the ends.
2. While you are up there finding the studs, use a marking gauge to mark out the bottom of the crown & the top every 6 ft or
so. Measure the lengths and in large numbers write them on the walls behind the crown. For outside corners use your patterns
to double check where the crown meets at the bottom to give you the best joint with your gauge block marks. Fine tune at
install and make a note in that corner if it's off 90ยบ, inside corners also make a note if they are off of square.
3. Cope or not to cope... I'll leave that to you, I cope on larger crown and in new buildings. I glue the joints on the MDF crown
that are smaller than the 4 3/4 I've never have much problem with them. On newer building with Trusses you'll want to cope and
because of truss uplift (I'll explain that on the next page) you want to cross nail to the ceiling rather into the trusses and use a
backer all the way around as noted before.

Kilrtoy
12-29-2003, 11:32 PM
Thats great dan
NOW POST ANOTHER PIC OF FELICA

Jetdriver
12-30-2003, 06:45 AM
Thanks Dan! Hey your in the neighborhood, maybe you know how to do this and want to help a brother out!

MagicMtnDan
12-30-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
Thanks Dan! Hey your in the neighborhood, maybe you know how to do this and want to help a brother out!
Actually I was going to try and do some crown molding work here in our house but realized that it was going to be a road I didn't want to travel down. So I had my wife's cousin do it (we paid him). He and a couple of his guys did the work quickly and it looks great. I highly recommend paying someone to do it but I realize it's more costly that way.

MagicMtnDan
12-30-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
Thats great dan
NOW POST ANOTHER PIC OF FELICA
Kilrtoy, which one is Felicia?

Jetdriver
12-30-2003, 08:23 AM
OH Im a glutten for punishment. So I will try to tackle this on my own. At least if I figure it out Ill be able to add it to the list of things I can do!

75_Elim
12-30-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
OH Im a glutten for punishment. So I will try to tackle this on my own. At least if I figure it out Ill be able to add it to the list of things I can do!
Just out of curiosity......... What else do you have on that list??? :D
Tie Shoe
Spell Name
Go 1 & 2 on your own
Work the Self Service Pump

JetBoatRich
12-30-2003, 09:25 AM
Jerry, don't be so sure he can do all those things on his own. You know Staphanie helps him a lot:)