PDA

View Full Version : Bellhousing on or off when pulling engine?

Rayhill
12-17-2002, 06:06 PM
Someone thought that I was crazy when they found out I pulled my engine out at the bell housing. Leaving the bell housing in boat. This boat mechanic told me "No, no! All you have to do is remove the two rear bolts, and pull the engine with the housing still attached to the block." So I tried it and it was a pain in the ass. It kicked my butt trying to get to the nut and bolt at the rear. I am getting ready to pull a engine out of a different boat. Just wondering?

Infomaniac
12-17-2002, 07:11 PM
Rayhill:
Someone thought that I was crazy when they found out I pulled my engine out at the bell housing. Leaving the bell housing in boat. This boat mechanic told me "No, no! All you have to do is remove the two rear bolts, and pull the engine with the housing still attached to the block." So I tried it and it was a pain in the ass. It kicked my butt trying to get to the nut and bolt at the rear. I am getting ready to pull a engine out of a different boat. Just wondering?Depending on the application: Usually the two nuts in the rear are held in by clips. You only need to pull the two bolts out. Leaving the bellhousing on the engine.

Ian
12-18-2002, 10:47 AM
While we are on the topic of pulling motors, I was wondering how easy or hard this is in an I/O. I have an 87 bahner with a 350 and an alpha 1 outdrive that needs exhaust bad. Is their any trade secrets, what do I need to disconect, what can I leave on the motor? When I reinstall the motor how do I line it up. I also wanted to put one of Edelbrock's combo kits on the motor (cam, carb, intake) and I figured it would be easier with the motor out of the boat and sitting on an engine stand in my garage. Also can I use the stock exhaust with some chrome tips for through transom exhaust.

1stepcloser
12-18-2002, 02:52 PM
Ian:
While we are on the topic of pulling motors, I was wondering how easy or hard this is in an I/O.what do I need to disconect, what can I leave on the motor?If its a Mercruiser, (I assume it is) there is typically a plug at the rear of the motor for the electrical connections, the Exhaust could be removed at the risers, the water lines, Hmmm, lets see, the outdrive will have to come off, a couple of mounting bolts, a fuel line, thats about it. I would leave everything on the motor that I could. Its much easier to work with on a stand than in the boat.
When I reinstall the motor how do I line it up.It should fit on the mounts easily, then all you need is an alignment tool (which can be purchased at most boat stores) to line up the drive plate (on the back of the motor) with the center support bearing (in the gimbal) so the drive fits smoothly. You may be able to borrow an alignment tool from someone on these forums. wink
I also wanted to put one of Edelbrock's combo kits on the motor (cam, carb, intake) and I figured it would be easier with the motor out of the boat and sitting on an engine stand in my garage.True.
Also can I use the stock exhaust with some chrome tips for through transom exhaust.Yes, you can, however, I strongly recommend replaceing the stock mercruiser exhaust with an aftermarket system. If you are going to improve the intake breathing, you really should improve the exhaust capability as well.