PDA

View Full Version : Dubai - this pic will piss any red-blooded American off

ECeptor
03-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Wonder who is benefiting from the higher gas prices? Wonder who is benefiting from out military "over there"?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3036dubai.jpg

TCHB
03-25-2006, 08:35 PM
I can not get into details but yes.

hoolign
03-25-2006, 08:37 PM
Missed a few years in there :rolleyes:

ROZ
03-25-2006, 08:54 PM
A lot can happen in 14 years...

hoolign
03-25-2006, 08:56 PM
A lot can happen in 14 years...
No?? Say it aint so
:rolleyes:

ROZ
03-25-2006, 09:02 PM
No?? Say it aint so
:rolleyes:
Okay... It ain't so :D

hoolign
03-25-2006, 09:30 PM
"100-BILLON" in construction loans are out in dubai !! over 75% of tower cranes are empolyed in dubai ---- can you say no "taxes" - duh ??? :cool:
I have had numerous offers to go there , and may next year! if I work 180 ayear over there ..all I pay is 19% tax total! not bad on 400,000 a year!!! I aint gonna live forever so why not pull it in when you can??? I have at least 25 buds over there ..and they are lovin it! cept for the spiders!

beyondhelpin
03-25-2006, 09:38 PM
I have had numerous offers to go there , and may next year! if I work 180 ayear over there ..all I pay is 19% tax total! not bad on 400,000 a year!!! I aint gonna live forever so why not pull it in when you can??? I have at least 25 buds over there ..and they are lovin it! cept for the spiders!
Thats Canadian right? Hell for a second I thought you were one of those Big Ballers!
:crossx:

hoolign
03-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Thats Canadian right? Hell for a second I thought you were one of those Big Ballers!
:crossx:
No not a baller..I would have included my credit rating :rolleyes:

JetBoatRich
03-25-2006, 09:51 PM
they did a lot in 14 years :rolleyes:

hoolign
03-25-2006, 09:53 PM
they did a lot in 14 years :rolleyes:
bloody right they did!

boatsnblondes
03-25-2006, 11:05 PM
Whoa whoa whoa here guys....WE made them a democracy over there...they are staunch supporters of US foriegn policy, and are a model country in that area....and they are doing well?? So they are doing well, making a profit? I'm sorry, I'm missing something here??? I thought those kinds of pictures were the goal, right??? If Iraq can look like that in 15-20 years, I say we did our job...

ovrkll77
03-26-2006, 05:00 AM
I wouldn't move there if you paid me one gazillion dollars.

Sleek-Jet
03-26-2006, 06:52 AM
Whoa whoa whoa here guys....WE made them a democracy over there...they are staunch supporters of US foriegn policy, and are a model country in that area....and they are doing well?? So they are doing well, making a profit? I'm sorry, I'm missing something here??? I thought those kinds of pictures were the goal, right??? If Iraq can look like that in 15-20 years, I say we did our job...
Once again you're bringing facts into an internet debate... not a good thing. :D :D
Me thinks there is alot more time than 14 years between those picture, just the color quality alone in the first one makes me think it was taken back in the mid to late 70's some time.

Big Warlock
03-26-2006, 08:03 AM
Everyone is a hater all of the sudden. You guys the same people who hate the successful people in America? Our oil prices have to do with REFINING CAPACITY!!!!!! Let's not have this debate again. You want lower oil prices? Let Americans build additional refineries! Has nothing to do with Dubai. I can take you to several countries in the middle east that have done similar things over the years. Honestly? It's you people that will bring down our country. Sad but true. I am guessing your a democrat right?
Fair is fair. I am out to play on the lake this morning, but let's get together as HB friends and have an honest discussion about hese things. Desert Storm Poker Run? Naked Turtle, let's say Friday night? Hope to see you there!
Rob

boatsnblondes
03-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Our oil prices also have to deal with the fact that CHINA is using more and more of the stuff also....and Mexico just found a HUGE oil field down there, so if we let them all in, will it mean we get a discount???

Dribble
03-26-2006, 08:41 AM
That doesn't piss me off one bit. It's called progress. Using alot of American labor, equipment and steel. If you actually believe that Dubai is the reason why gas prices are so high I would suggest that you go back to school.

badbrad
03-26-2006, 10:43 AM
$247 million in profits in January just from the strip....not including downtown...and we dont pay income or corporate tax!!!

maxwedge
03-26-2006, 10:46 AM
I'm betting that two pictures of Las Vegas 14 years apart would look very similar. Dubai is supposed to be a very, very nice place to live or visit.
Yep, I was thinking that same thing.

JetBoatRich
03-26-2006, 11:13 AM
to bad they can't build the LA freeways this quick :yuk:

stoker
03-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Yep, I was thinking that same thing.
No booze allowed! Except for a few hotels. It is still a muslim country.

Boozer
03-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Personally I see no problem with that. I have seen a good majority of my friends throw their lives down the drain due to alcohol and methamphetamine abuse. I have a cousin who will probably be dead within then next 3-4 years due to the amount of drinking he does. Not saying that alcohol prohibition is the answer to all of our problems but if it was never allowed in the first place I think a lot of people would be better off. Personally, giving up alcohol for all but the rare ocassion has improved my quality of life 100 fold.
As far as Dubai's tremendous growth goes I commend them. I hope that they are as prosperous in the next 14 years as they have been in the past 14.

stoker
03-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Personally I see no problem with that. I have seen a good majority of my friends throw their lives down the drain due to alcohol and methamphetamine abuse. I have a cousin who will probably be dead within then next 3-4 years due to the amount of drinking he does. Not saying that alcohol prohibition is the answer to all of our problems but if it was never allowed in the first place I think a lot of people would be better off. Personally, giving up alcohol for all but the rare ocassion has improved my quality of life 100 fold.
As far as Dubai's tremendous growth goes I commend them. I hope that they are as prosperous in the next 14 years as they have been in the past 14.
Maybe you should move to Dubai, just don't let them know you had a child out of wedlock, they will kindly remove your head :skull:

Havasu Cig
03-26-2006, 03:05 PM
I'm betting that two pictures of Las Vegas 14 years apart would look very similar. Dubai is supposed to be a very, very nice place to live or visit.
I have been to Saudi Arabia and Iraq, and I find it hard to believe that any place over there would be a nice place to live. Their culture is 180 degree's from ours, you have to watch your back at all times, and the weather sucks. It would take a lot of $$$ to get me to live there, and even then it would have to be short term. My.02

slcbaker
03-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Watched a show the other night on the T.V and that area is going off. They were trying to build an island out on the ocean. It was working and in a way it kind of looked like Florida with the inner water ways with bad ass homes on them. Then what really blew me away was that they want to replecate the veiw of the world from the air and sell off the land. (I.E) you can buy a island that looks like the U.S. It is very crazy in my eyes, but if you have it and that place is some what you like then go for it. Me, I will live where I live, and deal with the seasons. Go to Lake Powell and pay taxes. Our country is to nice to leave.

Boozer
03-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Watched a show the other night on the T.V and that area is going off. They were trying to build an island out on the ocean. It was working and in a way it kind of looked like Florida with the inner water ways with bad ass homes on them. Then what really blew me away was that they want to replecate the veiw of the world from the air and sell off the land. (I.E) you can buy a island that looks like the U.S. It is very crazy in my eyes, but if you have it and that place is some what you like then go for it. Me, I will live where I live, and deal with the seasons. Go to Lake Powell and pay taxes. Our country is to nice to leave.
What you are speaking of is an ongoing project called "The World". They are creating a man made map of the entire world in the form of small private Islands. Supposedly several Celebs have placed their orders for their own piece of the world.

Riomouse911
03-27-2006, 12:02 AM
My Mom just got back form the United Arab Emirates, and she said it was one interesting place. Petro-dollars have bought them a lot over the past 15 years, including an indoor ski resort in a shopping mall called Ski-Dubai. They seem to spend a lot on public works projects there...Now If Unocal etc. can just spend a few bucks from the 12 billion $ profit they made on our backs last quarter to add a few freeway lanes on the 91 and 15.
Our friend works for the Sultan of Abu Dabhi, and he apparently realizes his land has a limited oil supply so he's going after Western tourisim by building the Island resorts and remaining friendly to the Western world. Dubai is in a similar state, and they are also building to be a tourist destination. Thats why they hold major tennis events and golf tourneys.. more for advertizing than anything else. Mom said there are people there from all over the world, and she felt really safe there... unlike near her office in San Francisco, which has streets full of lunatics and junkies... :rollside:
HOWEVER, the weather does suck, and the Muslim world has less then friendly legal systems. In addition, I seriously doubt a covey of nuggets in thongs dancing on the boat would last more than 5 minutes before they would be dragged away and locked into burlap burkahs... so I'll stay here, thanks.

maxwedge
03-27-2006, 12:15 AM
What you are speaking of is an ongoing project called "The World". They are creating a man made map of the entire world in the form of small private Islands. Supposedly several Celebs have placed their orders for their own piece of the world.
I saw that show a while back. It's amazing what money can build these days. Just wondering if some type of natural disaster is going to wipe it all out some day.

Red Horse
03-27-2006, 03:18 AM
There is plenty of LEGAL booze over there. I have been there many times and have bought Bud and Miller lite downtown. Every hotel has alcohol and lots of the resturants do as well. I have also been on a 42 foot sportfishing boat at the Abu Dhabi yacht club owned by a sponsor there. We were trashed. He was arabic wearing his outfit drinkin with the the rest of us. The reason they have such growth is because the embrace what we have and still keep the mystic of their culture. The traditinal dress, the mosques, the call to prayer, the ultra low crime rate is there. RIght beside a place you can get a beer and meet some hot asian women. I have spent over a year in that country over a 15 year period and it grows and gets more western each time. Hell, the kids are just as bad as in any mall in Cali. I have even seen some of the offshore race boats close up beer in hand. DId you know the Emirates were part of Saudi at one time, but 6 or 7 of them decided to get together and do something a little different in 1975? They wanted to be more like us. Do I trust them, no. Are there still the possibilities of terrorism there, yes. But they are a role model to the rest of the middle east. Maybe the rest will see what prosperity is like and get on board.