PDA

View Full Version : Here's Why I NEVER Wanted Pete Rose Back in Baseball

MagicMtnDan
01-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Because he gambled on baseball AND HE LIED about it!
Source: Rose admits to betting on baseball in book
Star's 14-year denial may end when 'My Prison Without Bars' released Thursday.
Pete Rose admits in his upcoming autobiography that he gambled on baseball, The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Saturday.
The newspaper cited an unidentified source who was briefed on the book.
The New York Times, citing a source in major league baseball, reported Wednesday that Rose admitted to betting on baseball at a meeting with commissioner Bud Selig.
Rodale Inc., which is publishing “My Prison Without Bars,” said the book will go on sale Thursday. Cathy Gruhn, publicist for the Emmaus publishing company, declined to comment to the Inquirer on the book’s contents.
Selig did not comment Friday to the Inquirer. However, the newspaper reported Saturday that sources close to Selig said he has not made a decision about RoseÂ’s application for reinstatement, and any missteps in the book could cost Rose.
RoseÂ’s ban from baseball prevents him from being eligible for the Hall of Fame. Some observers believe he would have to confess to gambling on baseball as a condition for possible reinstatement.
Following a six-month investigation, Rose was banned from the sport for life in August 1989 by then-commissioner Bart Giamatti. Despite agreeing to the ban, the gameÂ’s career hits leader has steadfastly denied betting on baseball while he was manager of the Cincinnati Reds.
Rose applied for reinstatement in 1997 and met with Selig in November 2002 to press his case. The Times said Rose acknowledged betting on baseball at that meeting.
SeligÂ’s top deputy, chief operating officer Bob DuPuy, has talked several times with RoseÂ’s representatives.
As part of an agreement between Giamatti and Rose, baseball never formally concluded that Rose was guilty of gambling on the sport. However, Giamatti stated that he personally believed Rose had done so.

Dr. Eagle
01-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Honestly, I think Pete Rose was a great player and a crappy person, or a person with crappy morals....

vdrivenman
01-03-2004, 05:09 PM
your upset with pete rose ?
What about Bill & Hillary Clinton ?
pete has paid his debt ! he's banned and will never make the hall of fame.
the clinton's have millions,how many state troopers from ark died and how many white house staff members have died ?
get real !

Dr. Eagle
01-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by vdrivenman
the clinton's have millions,how many state troopers from ark died and how many white house staff members have died ?
get real !
You got a point.,..nothing little about the Clinton's lies. But the darkness in Petes character is always going to be there, paid up debt or not.
And this is the 2000th post WOOO HOOO!!!!

twistedpair
01-03-2004, 05:15 PM
get real !
Bubba's paying his debt, every morning when he wakes up next to that Man-Hating Carpet-Muncher of a wife!:yuk: :D

MagicMtnDan
01-03-2004, 05:57 PM
get real !
That's funny as hell! I would NEVER defend the Clintons - I think they're morally bankrupt and would do anything to get/have power and redistribute our money. If you thought Bill was bad you ain't seen nothin' like Hillary - let's pray she doesn't become President!

MagicMtnDan
01-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Way to go Doc Eagle - I'll be there soon enough...

Dr. Eagle
01-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
That's funny as hell! I would NEVER defend the Clintons - I think they're morally bankrupt and would do anything to get/have power and redistribute our money. If you thought Bill was bad you ain't seen nothin' like Hillary - let's pray she doesn't become President!
Somehow it seemed like a transferrence of anger........
I don't know where that one came from either. And I HATE the Clintons myself...WTF?

Kilrtoy
01-03-2004, 06:30 PM
He was like a GOD, Not the same as JORDY , but close when I was a kid. I styled my play after him. These clowns today only wish they could be half the player he was.
LET HIM
He didnt do anything that all these other people didnt do. HE just got cuaght.....
One of the most famous players was a cheating husband and drunk. What about his morals

JetBoatRich
01-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Pete made some real bad choices, but his playing ability was awesome. His abilities should have got him in the hall already, but we all know the story.

Keith E. Sayre
01-03-2004, 10:40 PM
I say they should reinstate the man. He did baseball a million times more good than anyone else has with regard to teaching
discipline, hard work, practice-practice-practice! Our kids and us
could all benefit from his hard core approach to winning and
competing in baseball and in life. He won and was one of the
best because he wanted it more than others and he worked
harder to get it.
Besides that, noone ever accused him of throwing a game for a
profit or shaving points for money. He bet on a game or games
that had nothing to do with his games. You and I could have bet
on those same games and noone would have banned us from
anything. We should be putting him into the Hall of Fame for
what he did as a player--not for what he did or didn't do as a
manager. He was one of the brightest stars in the game--ever.
Try watching the replay of the all star game where he takes out
Twins catcher Ray Fosse at home plate and tell Pete that he doesn't deserve to be in the hall of fame. Bet you can't do it.
You know why he was safe on that play--he wanted it more than Ray did.
I saw him play several times in person. He was the best in alot
of ways. What happened to compassion? He's good for the
game! If he walked by you right now at the lake or at work or
at the mall--would you stop and ask for his autograph and maybe
sneak a quick snapshot? I would and I'd thank him for the good
that he did for all the kids that watched him play. Noone else used to slide head first into those spikes!
OK, he broke a rule that didn't really hurt anyone including the
game and he apparently lied about it. Can anyone say that
they've never done something equally as bad?
Keith Sayre

Kilrtoy
01-03-2004, 11:36 PM
SHIT BASED ON WHAT SAYRE SAID
I agree.
AND remember this
OJ
IS STILL IN THE HALL OF FAME.....

Dr. Eagle
01-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
SHIT BASED ON WHAT SAYRE SAID
I agree.
AND remember this
OJ
IS STILL IN THE HALL OF FAME.....
OK I am convinced...
He should be reinstated....IF HE NEVER TALKS TO A BOOKIE AGAIN (and he can't befriend George Maloof).
:eek: :D

Jordy
01-03-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
He was like a GOD, Not the same as JORDY
You really do need to get a life. :confused: :rolleyes:

Kilrtoy
01-05-2004, 01:15 AM
You really do need to get a life.
SURVEY SAYS
BULLSHIT
Already have one:yuk:

Rexone
01-05-2004, 01:33 AM
Alot of people do worse crap than Pete did and carry on with life as usual.
Murderers and thieves are let out of prison every day to resume whatever they want whether it be killing and stealing again or more normal pursuits. I could make a list that would burn up ***boat's bandwidth of people who's serious offences are overlooked or forgiven from shoplifting to insider trading to financial crimes and stealing peoples retirement to murder.
And then there's slick Willie... :rolleyes: .... makin millions telling stories from an era in American history that should have landed him in the big house. (no I don't want to debate this...it is my opinion of Willie and it isn't changin.). :D
I say enough is enough with Pete. Reinstate him and admit him to the hall of fame where he belongs. He did more good for baseball on his worst day than most the overpaid whiners of today do in an entire career.

cola
01-05-2004, 07:26 AM
Pete never bet his team to loose. Let it go Bud.
Late, Mike

Blown 472
01-05-2004, 07:34 AM
A guy hits a ball with a stick and runs around, and we should treat him like a god?? wtf??

svlperry
01-05-2004, 08:39 AM
i aggree with some people he should be reinstated so he can go into the hall of fame but he should not be reinstated to go back and be a player or manager

JetBoatRich
01-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by svlperry
i aggree with some people he should be reinstated so he can go into the hall of fame but he should not be reinstated to go back and be a player or manager
I heard he wants to manage again:( maybe Little League will let him back:eek:
I believe he should be in the hall, but not a Manager:(