PDA

View Full Version : Lake Powell tips please

nodigg
01-06-2004, 02:37 PM
I am finally making the trip to Lake Powell this summer. I will be taking the family and boat camping/wet biking late June, early July for apx 5-7 days on the water. Anyone have some good tips for a first timer? Launch sites/fuel stops/camp spots/points of interest? All input appreciated!

MsDrmr
01-06-2004, 02:40 PM
went several years ago and stayed at loan rock,,,,beautiful and well worth the drive.
BE VERY PREPARED FOR SEVERE WIND STORMS (they come out of nowhere and hit like an s.o.b.)

nodigg
01-06-2004, 02:47 PM
So where is Lone Rock? Do they have a lauch site? I plan to camp at a different place each night. Is that a doable thing on the lake?

roln 20s
01-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Your daughter's going...what about her friends? I think the only thing I can recommend is INVITE me! :D
On a MORE serious note, Take tons of food, extra gas cans, get a good map, search for a nice beach area (there's hundreds/thousands of them), bring safety stuff (jumper cables/charger). I like to launch from Wahweep, and head somewhere between Wahweep and Dangling Rope- but closer to Dangling Rope, so that you can get supplies/gas relatively quickly- within 15 minutes or so. Rainbow bridge is the touristy thing, but the waves from the tour boats are HUGE and dangerous- be safe and watch from those guys. I will get the name of the awesome, and huge channel/gorge--think its the San Juan.
And...enjoy!
Roln 20s

MsDrmr
01-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by nodigg
So where is Lone Rock? Do they have a lauch site? I plan to camp at a different place each night. Is that a doable thing on the lake?
Lone Rock is on the north side of the lake, (I would have to find out exactally where from my dad I will let you know tomarrow) they did not have a launch area there when I was there but we just launced the boat off the beach shore. Keep in mind this was aobut 20yrs ago or so. If you go on-line there is some info and tips there for you.

DogHouse
01-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Hi Rick! Good advice so far, especially about being prepared for storms! :eek: That time of year, monsoons could be starting...
Lone Rock is just around the corner from Wahweap, and is accessible by car. Most folks that boat camp will go upstream a ways and find more private spots in the multitude of canyons. In the Page area, launching is down to just Wahweap since the water is so low. State Line and Antelope are no longer usable last I heard. The good thing about low water is that beaches are even more plentiful than normal. You should be able to easily find some great spots to camp. The first 40-50 miles up to Dangling Rope marina are the busiest. A few more miles up you get to Rainbow Bridge, which is where the tour boats and majority of the traffic turn around. We like to camp beyond there and ski in the San Juan arm where the water is flat most of the time. Upstream a little further, the Escalante River arm is probably the most scenic, although there are incredible things to see almost everywhere on the lake. I would recommend picking up a guide, some maps, and a couple issues of Lake Powell magazine. The mag has good info on interesting things to see and also a good set of maps in every issue. If you can't find it in your area, let me know and I'll be happy to pick them up here and send them to you. There are also a couple of websights dedicated to the lake with lots of good info. Can't remember the urls at the moment, but just do a search and you should come up with some. Should be a great time! I can't wait to get back up there myself!
-brian

burtandnancy
01-06-2004, 03:09 PM
You're going to get a million tips on things to do at Lake Powell. Mine is: Don't go this year, or until the water level comes up at least 50 to 75 feet. Its down over a 100' now, going lower by summer and many of the great caves, coves, beaches, sight seeing areas won't be available. Check again in late spring, someone will have a better report by then. When you do finally get there, it will spoil you for any other lake...

nodigg
01-06-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by roln 20s
Your daughter's going...what about her friends? I think the only thing I can recommend is INVITE me! :D
On a MORE serious note, Take tons of food, extra gas cans, get a good map, search for a nice beach area (there's hundreds/thousands of them), bring safety stuff (jumper cables/charger). I like to launch from Wahweep, and head somewhere between Wahweep and Dangling Rope- but closer to Dangling Rope, so that you can get supplies/gas relatively quickly- within 15 minutes or so. Rainbow bridge is the touristy thing, but the waves from the tour boats are HUGE and dangerous- be safe and watch from those guys. I will get the name of the awesome, and huge channel/gorge--think its the San Juan.
And...enjoy!
Roln 20s
DUDE! She IS invited and ALL her friends too! But...she has her own life now so I'm not sure she will make it.
I want to move around the whole lake a little at a time so I am hoping this is a real possiblity. Thanks for the Rainbow tip.

nodigg
01-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by mrsdrmr
Lone Rock is on the north side of the lake, (I would have to find out exactally where from my dad I will let you know tomarrow) they did not have a launch area there when I was there but we just launced the boat off the beach shore. Keep in mind this was aobut 20yrs ago or so. If you go on-line there is some info and tips there for you.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye open for the info. I have looked at some internet sites and will some more but mainly looking for some one-on-one thoughts right now.

91nordic29
01-06-2004, 03:22 PM
hey rick, how are you. happy new year!
here is an awsome link for you:
lake powell info (http://www.wayneswords.com/index.html)
we were tossing the idea around to go this summer also. we have friends that do the houseboat thing every year so they know thier way around.
hope this helps!!
cindy

nodigg
01-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks Brian, I hoped you would throw me a bone aobut the place. I am just starting to plan but excited already. Is it possible to cruise around each day and pick a spot for the night without getting in trouble for a spot for the night? How about lake levels. Do you think low water is a plus for more beaches or a draw back for sightseeing?

nodigg
01-06-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by burtandnancy
You're going to get a million tips on things to do at Lake Powell. Mine is: Don't go this year, or until the water level comes up at least 50 to 75 feet. Its down over a 100' now, going lower by summer and many of the great caves, coves, beaches, sight seeing areas won't be available. Check again in late spring, someone will have a better report by then. When you do finally get there, it will spoil you for any other lake...
So what do you think will be worse with low levels? Aside from more rocks to hit that is............
Will it cut off some of the waterway access?

nodigg
01-06-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
hey rick, how are you. happy new year!
here is an awsome link for you:
lake powell info (http://www.wayneswords.com/index.html)
we were tossing the idea around to go this summer also. we have friends that do the houseboat thing every year so they know thier way around.
hope this helps!!
cindy
Hey Cindy,
Thanks for the link. 32 degrees in Page right now! Think I'll wait till June/July! I thought about the houseboat trip too but cannot figure how to get my boat ad the wetbike up there at the same time! Do they allow 2-strokes still?
I'm good. Hope you and the Mr. are doing well. Maybe we will be there at the same time even.

DogHouse
01-06-2004, 03:32 PM
Yeah, the low water is unfortunate, but it's still worth going assuming that it doesn't get too much worse. Access to some canyons is limited and you have to go around Antelope Island now, can't cut across by Castle Rock any more. Even with the restrictions, it's still an amazing place to see. Certainly beats staying at home. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a good snowpack this year!

chevydog
01-06-2004, 03:33 PM
My family and I have been going g for about 15 years now and we usually camp on Antalope Point in the narrows or up near cookie jar canyon, nice sandy beaches depending on water level. For camping we try to put everything in plastic tubs(with snap down lids) so you don't get sand in you food when a storm hits. there is some cool things on the Escalante Arm of the lake . Indian ruins , Arches , etc. Enjoy

nodigg
01-06-2004, 03:37 PM
The snow and the rain have seemed to be heavy so far. I will keep my fingers crossed for sure Brian.

nodigg
01-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by chevydog
My family and I have been going g for about 15 years now and we usually camp on Antalope Point in the narrows or up near cookie jar canyon, nice sandy beaches depending on water level. For camping we try to put everything in plastic tubs(with snap down lids) so you don't get sand in you food when a storm hits. there is some cool things on the Escalante Arm of the lake . Indian ruins , Arches , etc. Enjoy
Sand in your food appears to be a big problem. Some fo te web sites mention it. Thanks for the tips on camp sites. I gotta get a map a a highlighter going I guess.

Budget Baller
01-06-2004, 03:47 PM
We packed each meal layered in a huge ice chest and filled it with dry ice, that way you only had to open the cooler a minimal amout of times. We also took extra empty coolers for the gas/ice runs. We usually only had to go every other day. Take extra 5 gallon gas jugs to fill for the toys.

91nordic29
01-06-2004, 03:48 PM
lake powell maps (http://www.maps4u.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi)
another resource:cool:

chevydog
01-06-2004, 03:52 PM
Freeze your Meats and pack them at the bottom of the cooler . If it is real hot try to keep a moist towel over the cooler . The ice there sucks . It will probably be the next expense to gas.

summerlove
01-06-2004, 04:06 PM
I've been to Powell a number of times over the past ten years and have put together a pretty comprehensive website with many links, recommendations, etc. You can find it at my website, www.oursummerlove.com and click on the lake powell info link, or click
http://www.oursummerlove.com/LakePowellinfopage12.htmhere (http://www.oursummerlove.com/LakePowellinfopage12.htm)
I hope you find it helpful, as I've spent alot of time on it. Also, check out my 2003 vacation pics from Powell!

Mandelon
01-06-2004, 04:23 PM
What should you take to Lake Powell? About Eighty bajillion trillion gazillion gallons of water. And leave it there when you are done. :D
I've never been but I heard later in the summer is better cuz the water is warmer and the weather more predictable.....?

nodigg
01-06-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
I've been to Powell a number of times over the past ten years and have put together a pretty comprehensive website with many links, recommendations, etc. You can find it at my website, www.oursummerlove.com and click on the lake powell info link, or click
http://www.oursummerlove.com/LakePowellinfopage12.htmhere (http://www.oursummerlove.com/LakePowellinfopage12.htm)
I hope you find it helpful, as I've spent alot of time on it. Also, check out my 2003 vacation pics from Powell!
Awesome! Thanks!

DEEZ NUTTS
01-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Plan your trip!! Do not be afraid of low water there is still plenty. Yes it is 103' below full pool as of yesterday, but most contributing snow packs are at well over 100%. I would like to see the lake rise but it doesnt stop us from going. Our last trip was the first weekend of last November. Yeah, it was cold but had to be done. The biggest problem with the low water is the launch ramps.
Wahweep is in the dirt/rocks and a 31' Formula is tough on a trailer that cant sit level. By July I am sure that we can launch on the concrete again and possibly use Stateline ramp also.
You will have no problem camping in different spots every day. The tough part will the houseboat if you rent one. They are very slow and take a while to tie down for wind, although wind shouldnt be bad at that time. You should be able to tow your boat behind and maybe get the bike on the front deck of the houseboat.
You will not be more than 20-30min from ice and gas if you stay below Rainbow Bridge. That is no limit on space as the Bridge is 50 miles from Wahweep. The ice run is always a fun part of our day. You need to stock up on beer though as all the marinas sell are low alcohol Utah beers. Marina gas is all 87oct or diesel.
There is tons to tell you about Powell. The best is that you will not regret it, and I will be there too.
Dustin

phebus
01-06-2004, 07:49 PM
We have gone every year now for the last seven years. Do not let the water level bother you, because once you go, I'm sure it will become a regular trip (it is addictive), and it will be nice to see the different "faces" of the lake. Even though the low water levels are unfortunate, we have enjoyed the different views of the lake, and the different experiences that have been offered.
Enjoy!!

Uplink
01-07-2004, 01:09 AM
Here's some pics from our trip last summer. Don't worry about the water level, that place is so dang huge it's not much of a factor, just have to go around Antelope that's all. More beaches to choose from also. Have fun, Mark
Powell pics (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22450)
Powell pics (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23004)

nodigg
01-07-2004, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. Gas, coolers, sand protection for food. Plenty of room on the deck for all that. Now more questions.
Is it true you can only get 87 octane? Not sure my boat motor will like that!?
Anyone recommend a house boat company? Not sure I will want one yet but want to check it out.
Anyone know anything about two stroke legislation impact for there this summer?

24sleekenforcer
01-07-2004, 07:13 AM
I have been going to Powel for over 15 years low water level is not a problem,more beaches as stated in other post. The ramps are going to be lengthened this spring before the lake starts to come up. heres some links to houseboats in and other info, Good luck and have fun. www.lakepowell.com/.
www.lakepowellmarinas.com/
www.powellguide.com/

Sleek-Jet
01-07-2004, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the input everyone. Gas, coolers, sand protection for food. Plenty of room on the deck for all that. Now more questions.
Anyone recommend a house boat company? Not sure I will want one yet but want to check it out.
Anyone know anything about two stroke legislation impact for there this summer?
From about the 1st of July to the 1st of August in traditionally monsoon season around here. As long as you're up a protected canyon, and off the main channel, nothing to worry about and some of the best lighting storms to be had. From the middle of August to Middle of September is usually the best (few if any T-storms). Water is the warmest and it usually cools down a little later in the Summer.
Check around on Houseboats. Aramark rents them, and rumor had it last year you could get one with as little as 2 weeks notice since business was slow. Also, sometimes people will rent out their time shares (usually a week) on some very nice lake barges, it's worth looking around.
As far as I know, no two stroke regulations for the lower end of the lake. I believe the northern end is restricting PWC, but you'd have to check with the Park Service to know for sure.
Powell is awesome, but remote, plan ahead and have a good time, you'll love it.

bohica
01-07-2004, 09:36 AM
Bring plenty of beer. As you get up the lake, like Bullfrog marina, you can only get the Utah beer, 3.2 beer.

Outnumbered
01-07-2004, 10:49 AM
I would not worry about the water level. I have been there at full pool and at 80+ feet low. Had just as much fun on each trip. Anytime you are in an unfamiliar lake you need to watch for rocks. Most places it drops off pretty quick so I don't think it will be a problem.
Be careful of camping at cliff bases and at the bottom of notch canyons, as flash floods can wash debris off the cliff tops down on top of you. Always look up before you set-up camp.
I would not go without a good VHF radio. I have a 25W radio in my boat. I think its a safty must. Handhelds are marginal on reception and are only 5W.
Bring lots of film. Its one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Especially north or Rainbow Bridge.
Have fun,
OL

nodigg
01-07-2004, 04:37 PM
Plenty of beer, er Rum and Diet Coke
Ice
Gas
More Ice
Extra coolers
More beer
air tight keepers for food supplies
low or high water just get there
Get out of the way of Rainbow bridge traffic
More Ice and beer
wait till late August or Early September? Might be a problem
Sturigs is first half of August, Son back in school September early
What else???
How long is the drive in hours when towing from LA or LHC?

nodigg
01-07-2004, 04:42 PM
Be careful of camping at cliff bases and at the bottom of notch canyons, as flash floods can wash debris off the cliff tops down on top of you. Always look up before you set-up camp.
Good advice, thanks!
I would not go without a good VHF radio. I have a 25W radio in my boat. I think its a safty must. Handhelds are marginal on reception and are only 5W.
So I am now wondering what kind of cell phone coverage there is. Not that it is the same as VHF but should I buy one just for this trip?? Or will the cell suffice for emergencies?
Bring lots of film. Its one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Especially north or Rainbow Bridge.
I'm thinking some underwater cameras incase things get wet and then a digital with lots of memory too
Thanks for the input people:D

DEEZ NUTTS
01-07-2004, 04:58 PM
nodigg, any time during summer is fine. Storms usually hit in afternoon and blow out quickly. Usually just about nap time and they cool the place down for a little under the bow action. A snorkel, mask and fins are kinda fun too. The water is clear and still in the a.m. Have found sunglasses and other donations while swimming the shore line. An old driver and a bag of balls always passes the time. With the water down you will find lots of golf balls anyway. Dont forget the horse shoes.

Scream
01-07-2004, 05:39 PM
Lake Powell is a paradise for boaters. Take the advice about brining all your drinking supplies with you. 3.2 beer, what's the use...
You'll be amazed at the clarity of the water and the incredible colors of the cliff faces. Flash floods are a problem from time to time, but use common sense and you'll be fine. Maps are available online and from the NPS, or at any of the marinas. Explore every finger of the lake you can and you'll never forget it.
If you camp at Lone Rock all week, you can take daytrips to the fingers and canyons all around. But to have a beach all to yourself, boat camp on one of the many areas away from Lone Rock, near or above Dangling Rope (mid lake 50 + miles N of Wahweap)
You're gonna have a blast

Sleek-Jet
01-07-2004, 05:42 PM
wait till late August or Early September? Might be a problem
Sturigs is first half of August, Son back in school September early
What else???
How long is the drive in hours when towing from LA or LHC?
Don't get me wrong, it's nice there from the end of April till at least the end of September. Just in my opinion, late August to Early September is perfect.
You'll have a good time no matter when you go, have at it !!!

DogHouse
01-07-2004, 05:56 PM
Didn't see this answered yet, so I'll give it a shot. Hall's Crossing is the only place I've seen 91 on the lake. Everywhere else is 87. Haven't been up to Hall's in a while, so ya might give them a call to see if they still carry the good stuff. The other thing to consider is that elevation drops your engine's octane requirement a little. Bring some octane booster and you should be fine, or just stay out of the boost!
-brian

nodigg
01-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Thanks to all. Brian, whadda ya mean "stay outta the boost"?!!
:D :D

beer hunter
01-08-2004, 07:28 AM
Try here (http://www.elakepowell.com/freds/index.htm) and here (http://www.riverlakes.com) :D These websites have a wealth of good info on Lake Powell:D

nodigg
01-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by beer hunter
Try here (http://www.elakepowell.com/freds/index.htm) and here (http://www.riverlakes.com) :D These websites have a wealth of good info on Lake Powell:D
Thanks

DEEZ NUTTS
01-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Stay away from Lone Rock beach! Too many people and way to many rangers and cops. You can drive right to the water and camp, but only stay there if all else fails. Just crossing the bay and camping in one of the coves behind Lone Rock is a big improvement.

DogHouse
01-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Thanks to all. Brian, whadda ya mean "stay outta the boost"?!!
:D :D
The first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem...
:D

77charger
01-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by DEEZ NUTTS
Stay away from Lone Rock beach! Too many people and way to many rangers and cops. You can drive right to the water and camp, but only stay there if all else fails. Just crossing the bay and camping in one of the coves behind Lone Rock is a big improvement. There can be a quite bit of people at times as far as cops they seem to hang out more the past 5 years but they have not been a problem for us as long as you stop running a generator after 10 pm you are ok we usually get drunk and listen to music with no prob at all.Been going there for 16 years without incident from the law

Wild Horses
01-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Halls Crossing is the only place to buy 91 octane, (I've checked all of the marina's)
Halls Crossing is also a good place to launch your boat, the lines are pretty well non existent. And you also are right in the middle of the most scenic part of the lake. (I always launch out of Bull Frog lines can be long on weekends.) The Escalante is about the most beautiful section of the lake to Me.
We go 3 to 5 times a year doesn't matter if the water is low it is always either going up or down so you always have to look for shallow water. (I've hit my prop more at Havasu)
By all means go it is the greatest!!:D

nodigg
01-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Sounds like the averages say go high or low water. I'm committed either way I think. I have never hit my prop at (badly) at Havasu but I kinda know the place so I will just keep a spare onboard and keep a lookout I guess like always.
Brian, I don't have a problem with boost, I just wouldn't want to leave home without it! :)
Guess before I go I will have to try a run with 87 cotane. maybe on Memorial Day weekend when my daughter's college crew is coming out??

DEEZ NUTTS
01-09-2004, 04:38 PM
nodigg, I was running 5lbs. of boost for the last two summers on Powell. I would fill up on av-gas at home then run it down to half tank and fill back up at marina with 87. Limited my boating a bit. If you are renting a house boat you should have lots of room to haul good gas in cans. You can get 91 at the top of Wahweep ramp but you have to pull out to do it. Saves about a buck a gallon also.

Outnumbered
01-09-2004, 07:35 PM
Last time we went they would not let us bring gas cans on the rental house boat. We had to sneak them on using our ski boat as a shuttle. Just an FYI so you don't have to tote the gas all over the place.
OL