PDA

View Full Version : Trim guage out of sync with drive position

BigWaveDave
09-17-2002, 10:19 AM
It seems my trim guage is not reading correctly on my Bravo 1 drive. When I am fully down, the guage reads all the way up until I trim up about a quarter then it will drop to all the way down. When I am in the "Trailered" position, the guage reads 3/4 up. I am guessing the guage somehow got out of synchnization with the drive. Anyone know how to get everthing back to normal so the guage tells me where my drive actually is?

TCHB
10-08-2002, 08:21 PM
Look at the right side of your outdrive on the top. You will see a lock screw and adjustment wheel.
Set your drive all the way trimmed in
Loosen the screw and move the adjustment wheel and have someone watch your gauge and set it to the bottom of the trim gauge. Tighten screw and now trim it up and see where the gauge is at. Your done and the bill is $89

summerlove
11-07-2002, 01:27 PM
I had the same exact problem, I thought I was having a problem with my drive. When I'd hole shot at wot the prop would blow out. My mechanic fixed as described above. Runs great!

SteveDavid
11-08-2002, 11:15 PM
If your outdrive has the HD gimbal ring, or is an XR or any X series, it will not have the sender built into the gimbal bearing. (these were used with electric trim indicators) Instead you'll probably have the phenolic black rod/which sets inside a SS tube attached to one of your trim hydraulic rams. This in turn has a cable, Morse or similar that runs to your dash indicator. All of this is 100% mechanical, no electirc involved. Sometimes the plastic (phenolic) rod will become stuck inside the stainless steel tube causing a faulty reading. Alternativley the cable that is actuated by this assembly can become internally rusted and resist movement.
Easy way to tell is trim your drive out and see if the black phenolic rod is out all of the way from it's SS tube. Then attempt to depress it and see if it springs back. If it is bad, first try lubricating the assembly and push/pull the black rod. If that doesn't work, disassemble the cable from the indicator and try moving the assembly without the cable attached. One of these tests will isolate the problem. To keep this working well, store the drive in a trim up position just beyond the indicators reading (say 8 plus on your indicator). This will keep the spring unsprung. Then spray a lubricant such as Boeshield, CRC, WD-40 etc. around the black plunger and push in and out several times. There are 2 small holes in the SS tube, one at the prop end and one near where the cable attaches. Spray lubricant into those as well.
Good luck!