PDA

View Full Version : Am I A F***ing Idiot????

riverby5
03-26-2006, 07:16 AM
Check it out!
I go see a 1998 Ultra Custom LX. Its a berk jet with a 454/340hp motor. The boat is clean except that it is obviously dirty. No big deal I say. I'm no stranger to elbow grease. It has a big scratch in the gel coat(probably from the bimini) on the side of the boat and the valve cover gaskets are just a little bit wet with oil.....It starts on command and everything is functional. The trailer is clean...a little rust from being left outside but clean...The boat has approximately 154 hours....I offer 2k less than what he is asking for the boat. In previous conversations he says its a negotiable price...he shoots back with the original price...I walk
Oh by the way, the NADA lists the boat at my first offer. He says its worth every penny. Am I A F**king Idiot

buzzaro
03-26-2006, 07:28 AM
Check it out!
I go see a 1998 Ultra Custom LX. Its a berk jet with a 454/340hp motor. The boat is clean except that it is obviously dirty. No big deal I say. I'm no stranger to elbow grease. It has a big scratch in the gel coat(probably from the bimini) on the side of the boat and the valve cover gaskets are just a little bit wet with oil.....It starts on command and everything is functional. The trailer is clean...a little rust from being left outside but clean...The boat has approximately 154 hours....I offer 2k less than what he is asking for the boat. In previous conversations he says its a negotiable price...he shoots back with the original price...I walk
Oh by the way, the NADA lists the boat at my first offer. He says its worth every penny. Am I A F**king Idiot
Nope, if you think thats what the boat is worth to you, then offer that much. Depending on how much you like the boat would be how long you wait to re-offer (higher bid or the same is up to you), but waiting is the risk you run of the boat being sold. Also depends on how many similar boats are out there that you like, there seem to be a lot of the ultra 21' jets for sale atm, so that guy might have some trouble getting top $ for his boat right now and come down a little if you keep at him. Just bought a boat a couple weeks ago and it really became my full time job while I was laid off, I never knew it would be that much work. Whats he asking btw and got a link to the boat?

H20 Toie
03-26-2006, 07:31 AM
hey some people just don't get it, but it is his boat and he can ask what ever he wants. it sucks when they tell you one thing and then when you get there it is something else. but you need to ask yourself if the boat is not in perfect condition and cleaned how do you think he has taken care of it in the past. he probably did little or no maintaince while he has had it.
There are plenty of boats out there that have been well taken care of and if you are buying something that is close to nada value you are not getting a killer deal.

riverby5
03-26-2006, 07:45 AM
he told me its immaculate and well it wasnt...i drove over 2 hours to see this boat. i have had guys ask 2-4k more than what blue book is...they say that they were told to ask between 10-25 percent more than nada book and that is the true value of their boats....i just need a little 21foot jet boat...and its gonna give me goddamn heart failure if i show up to another boat that is listed as"clean and Immaculate" and it looks like well.....shit

riverby5
03-26-2006, 07:48 AM
forgot to mention...he wants 24k firm....i offered him the nada value of the boat 20k....he said to me in earlier emails he would take 22k. and the kicker is that i would split the difference and pick it up for 21k

buzzaro
03-26-2006, 07:55 AM
he told me its immaculate and well it wasnt...i drove over 2 hours to see this boat. i have had guys ask 2-4k more than what blue book is...they say that they were told to ask between 10-25 percent more than nada book and that is the true value of their boats....i just need a little 21foot jet boat...and its gonna give me goddamn heart failure if i show up to another boat that is listed as"clean and Immaculate" and it looks like well.....shit
Also, getting dusty is normal and can drastically change the way a boat looks as far as condition. How many boats have you looked at to compare this one too? I am not suggesting you dont know what you are talking about but these are all things I just recently went through and didnt realize when I started looking. If you havent you might want to head down to a couple used boat dealers and see what different year/hour boats look like and general condition to get an idea. When my wife and I walked into the first dealer after looking at boats on line for a couple weeks it was a real eye opener.

buzzaro
03-26-2006, 08:01 AM
Ultra's got this at their website, its listed higher than you were offering on the other boat but ive been to their corona showroom and all the boats were super clean. They are prolly flexible as well on the price. Im sure someone will repost this pic and explain to me how to make it more than an attachment :) OK, that little pic was stupid this ones better

riverby5
03-26-2006, 08:10 AM
i've seen between 12-16 boats....used, new, so i have a good idea what is good and what needs work... and i'm not a new boat owner...i own a 28 foot party cat too....considering i'm spending a decent amount of money i expect the boat to be a reflection. i'm a pride of ownership kind of guy and so anyone can tell that a garaged immaculate boat is different that a weather beaten rode hard put away wet kinda boat.....like i said before i can clean the boat....being dirty and stuff isnt that bad to me....but telling me its clean and its not is disappointing. i called ultra about that boat...they will take no less than asking price....to repeat what they told me
Not a Penny less.....

Redneck
03-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Check it out!
sounds like you did what you needed to do it must have not been ment to be

buzzaro
03-26-2006, 08:22 AM
I guess it comes back to your original question then, are you an idiot? No, if that boat is not worth his asking price to you then walking on out was the right move. If the boat was stored outside and not always covered that can definately cause more wear than the low hours will reflect, as you know. Wait the guy out, he may change his mind if he needs to get rid of the boat and not getting any takers at his price. Good luck in your search

Jyruiz
03-26-2006, 12:06 PM
You did the right thing, just leave him your number and tell him to call you if he changes his mind.

YeLLowBoaT
03-26-2006, 12:19 PM
You did the right thing, just leave him your number and tell him to call you if he changes his mind.
yeah then subtract 2k for him saying no the 1st time.
You made a offer that was with in 10% of his asking price. Which is more then fair. He didn't take the offer I say fook him.

Newcastle
03-26-2006, 12:32 PM
I'd wait a week, call him back and offer him 19k, just to piss him off :cool:
As the boat sits he might regret not taking the 21.

2Driver
03-26-2006, 01:23 PM
he told me its immaculate and well it wasnt...i drove over 2 hours to see this boat.and its gonna give me goddamn heart failure if i show up to another boat that is listed as"clean and Immaculate" and it looks like well.....shit
Welcome to the world of used boat buying. Everyone’s expectations and assessments are different. Clean to him may have meant he evicted the cats from living in the boat. I usually ask for e-mail pics before I leave the driveway.

MagicMtnDan
03-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Ultra's got this at their website, its listed higher than you were offering on the other boat but ive been to their corona showroom and all the boats were super clean. They are prolly flexible as well on the price. Im sure someone will repost this pic and explain to me how to make it more than an attachment :) OK, that little pic was stupid this ones better
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12439

2Driver
03-26-2006, 02:41 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12439
I'm guessing those colors and graphics would pull it to 50% of Nada :yuk: