PDA

View Full Version : A Question about R&D for Auto/Trucks

Troubles No More
01-07-2004, 11:43 AM
Does anyone know how much time (Miles/Money,etc)is devoted to testing a new vehicle before it is released to public to buy?
There are minor complaints on the boards about a new vehicle from Toyota-Honda-Nissan as compare to Chevy-Dodge-Ford.
Does anyone know why??

Rivertoys
01-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Dogred
There are minor complaints on the boards about a new vehicle from Toyota-Honda-Nissan as compare to Chevy-Dodge-Ford.
Does anyone know why??
Because we don't tow 600 mile round trips with Toyotas, Hondas, or Nissans? http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/confused31.gif
Just a guess.
RTJas :D

Jordy
01-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Rivertoys
Because we don't tow 600 mile round trips with Toyotas, Hondas, or Nissans? http://op6c.com/forums/html/emoticons/confused31.gif
Just a guess.
I'd say that's a pretty good answer. Not to mention the fact that I wouldn't feel comfortable pulling anything bigger than a 19' (and that might even be pushing it) with anything Toyota, Honda or Nissan makes. I think Toyota is the only one with anything close to a full size truck anyway. And even with their "full size" I wouldn't want to pull a 26' anything behind it. Just my personal feelings and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it, but I kinda like being able to accelerate up a hill and stop again on the backside of it and I wouldn't feel comfortable in any thing other than a real full size truck doing it. :D
Flame away you fockers. :D

MagicMtnDan
01-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Don't forget about the new Nissan Titan full-size pickup truck. It's supposed to be a full-size p/u competitor...

Chris Winn
01-07-2004, 04:24 PM
do not do what i did, i used to tow my old 25ft Baja (not the lightest boat) with my 2001 crew cab Tocama (TRD supercharged) and i blew the rear out while towing to Havasu from OC. after fighting with the dealer i was told that they rate the truck to tow no more than 3500lbs (oops) and it cost me about $500 to fix (they were easy on me, the axle shaft going into the carrier was shot as well)
so now i bought a H2 and haven't had a problem since. i know everyone bags on the H2 but it really is capable (i tow my 29ft Magic well with it)

Jordy
01-07-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
Don't forget about the new Nissan Titan full-size pickup truck. It's supposed to be a full-size p/u competitor...
Actually I just saw one on the road a little bit ago. I stand by my original thoughts.

Chris Winn
01-07-2004, 04:45 PM
i agree woth Jordy,
toyota and nissan make great trucks (i've had 3 4x4 toys)
but you cannot beat an american built truck, Nissan is coming close to the mark, but being in the 1st year of production i would shy away from anything (ask a person who bought a 1st year hummer).
but if i were one of the big 3, i would start watching what i do
be it a ford, chevy or dodge i could be happy with any of them once i personaize the truck to my taste (rims, tires ect) i am really starting to like the 3/4 ton offering from all 3 makers (i know everyone will bash oneanother, but you cannot please them all)

CrazyHippy
01-07-2004, 09:19 PM
Both the New Nissan and The Tundra are considering 1/2 ton trucks from the "Big 3" to be their competition. I dont consider anything a full size truck until it can tow 10k#...
BJ(F-350 Driver)H:D

ratso
01-07-2004, 09:25 PM
Dodge...Chevy...Ford
I won't buy a foreign truck, I think the foreign ones have something like half the market now, and that's fine if you don't mind being PUSHED to the lake by your 30+ft boat.

Chris Winn
01-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Hello Ratso<
i know hat you mean, but i do tow with a new hummer H2 and i tow a 29ft Magic.
if i did buy a new truck, then it would be from on one of the big three.
just my opinion, but i do love my vehicles and feel strongly about them.
chris

ratso
01-07-2004, 10:35 PM
Hey Chris, I had a Hummer, white with the chrome package for a short time. I liked it but never towed much of a load with it. My friend pulls a 27ft Chris Craft with his and it seems to do OK.

Chris Winn
01-08-2004, 08:22 AM
yeah, the H2 is pretty good for towing, there much bteer chioces out there for towing though, but my wife had to have the H2 (not that i mind, but it is her daily driver)
i wish that they would put the 8.1 or a diesel in the H2, this would make it much better!

Rivertoys
01-08-2004, 10:54 AM
I did say that most of us don't tow with Toyotas, etc.. But that's not to say you can't! This was my first rig....
http://op6c.com/images/fun2/rtjas_toy_haw1.jpg
When I needed to bring more people with me, I'd take my Dad's 4-runner.
http://op6c.com/images/fun2/rtjas_toy_haw2.jpg
Both of those trucks were 4wd, V-6s, and would tow that little Hawaiian just fine. I made many river trips with my black P/U!
When I knew I wanted a bigger boat, I first bought a bigger truck though! ;)

78Eliminator
01-08-2004, 12:50 PM
I have towed a 19' Jet many a time with my 2002 Tacoma. Done several 800 mile round trips. It has 56,000 miles with zero problems.

Chris Winn
01-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Hey 78,
For what you are towing, a big truck would be gross overkill, i had my 2001 Tacoma (w/ TRD blower) and that truck would pull my old 25ft Baja at 75 from OC to Havasu.
however i didn't read my owners manual and was way over my limit for towing capacity, the rear end went out (but the Toyota dearler was very good in taking care of me)
they are great trucks, just not for more than 4500lbs or so.
best total quality for many mile use