PDA

View Full Version : anyone built a house in havasu

NOTALENT
01-08-2004, 04:42 PM
I was looking at the models and realized there are house that can be built for about 100000.00 . I was wondering if Anyone knew the process of building the house. The costs to prep the land if it needs and whats involved in building it. We are going up there next week to look at some homes...any other ideas.. we dont have to much to spend only about 150000.00

MagicMtnDan
01-08-2004, 04:43 PM
Great idea - I'd like to find out what you learn. Thanks

wing-n-it
01-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Building a house in Havasu can be a pleasurable experience. My name is Debbie Oster and I own a mortgage company named River Valley Mortgage in Lake Havasu. I have worked with many families on this board and have an excellent reputation.
I can explain in explicit detail what the procedure is to build a home, the expected expense, and how the financing works should you need financing. You can pay cash for a lot, or you can finance it into a package price for both the lot and house. I would much rather speak to you in person rather than sit here and type a novel so if you would like some detailed information, please give me a call anytime during business hours at (928) 854-5363. I'm sure many people will be glad to offer you their experiences, good and bad, but I can honestly say that anyone who has worked with me, has and will continue to have a pleasant experience. I take customer service very seriously because sometimes in Lake Havasu there tends to be a lack of it. My best advice to you, however, is to work with who you like. There are an abundance of builders and I can reccommend first hand who to stay away from (but not on this board) and who will give you the best product for the money. Don't start out simply shopping for the cheapest, you get what you pay for.

jlnorthrup122
01-08-2004, 07:12 PM
You should talk to a general contractor in the area! bring in your own blue prints (plans). your blue prints could be used as your bible. first you will need to pick the lot then you get the blue prints. Then you hire a land survey team to lay out and excavate the lot then you get your utilties hooked up to your lot. Next hire on the plumbers to run the gas, sewer and water to your hole (basement/slab) the bring in the crette boys in to poor the footings and foundation walls (dont poor driveway or walkways till the house is beeing completed/about the time the drywall finnishing crew is there). then call in the carpenters to frame it in and install the windows. Get the house roofed and sidded (sealed up) next. then get the electritions, plumbers and heating and air guys in there before you get the drywall hangers in there. then get the drywall finnished. then get the floors done! call in the finnish carpenters to do the cupboards trims vanities hang doors ect. then get the elctritions and plumbers back in there to finnish up and don't forget the thermostat? and if you want call in the land scapers! after you move in! makes for a learning expeirience to watch the landscapers work. Oh and don't forget the permits for everything and the building inspectors.
Good Luck and have fun. looking to move to Havasu in a few years and start another perfomance boat factory!:wink:

Starloans
01-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by wing-n-it
Building a house in Havasu can be a pleasurable experience. My name is Debbie Oster and I own a mortgage company named River Valley Mortgage in Lake Havasu. I have worked with many families on this board and have an excellent reputation.
I can explain in explicit detail what the procedure is to build a home, the expected expense, and how the financing works should you need financing. You can pay cash for a lot, or you can finance it into a package price for both the lot and house. I would much rather speak to you in person rather than sit here and type a novel so if you would like some detailed information, please give me a call anytime during business hours at (928) 854-5363. I'm sure many people will be glad to offer you their experiences, good and bad, but I can honestly say that anyone who has worked with me, has and will continue to have a pleasant experience. I take customer service very seriously because sometimes in Lake Havasu there tends to be a lack of it. My best advice to you, however, is to work with who you like. There are an abundance of builders and I can reccommend first hand who to stay away from (but not on this board) and who will give you the best product for the money. Don't start out simply shopping for the cheapest, you get what you pay for.
Debbie...I'm a mortgage broker here in the San Diego area and I too have thought of investing in your area. I like your introduction and since I'm only licensed in CA I will call you if I decide to buy.
Now...to the rest of your post. I see that you have a fairly new post count. But I have to tell you there is an unwritten policy here on the boards that anytime you recommend to STAY AWAY from someone or DON"T USE someone, especially if they build something, you MUST name names!!! :D If you don't you will drive these people absolutly INSANE!!!!! :eek: Are you crazy????? You even posted your phone #!!!! Your phone is probably ringing off the hook! But actually that could be a good thing. I hope. :D
Anyways, I'm just teasing ya about the names. :D
Good luck.
Dave

TCHB
01-08-2004, 07:42 PM
I bought a completed house and I am glad I did not have to go through the horror stories that I have been told. The house price is a low ball and once you step into ring they got you with change orders for retaining walls, lot grating, and everything else that goes along with building a new home. The only guy that I have heard of that does a good job is Gary Oxley. He is honest and will not give you the bull shit stories. Good luck but my advice is to find one that is all completed.

pirateslair
01-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Actually my good friend had a house built in havasu about ten years ago for 60k. He owned the lot. The house was about 1800 sq.ft.
I dont think you will be as fortunate to get one at this price. You can figure construction costs to be aroun $120 or more a sq.ft.
There is another option. And dont raise your eyebrows. Manufactured homes. The new manufactured homes are goin for around $80 a sq.ft. and are built as well as any other home today. I know Im a Air Conditioning contracto and most of my business is about installing the system after the homes are in place.
There is a tract of the homes, 2 story, that are selling for $350,000 each in Topanga, Ca. These are beautiful homes with all the eye popping items in any home.
I recently serviced anyther home east of Temecula that is about 2200Sq.ft. and is as nice as any home I have seen. It came in 3 sections. The kitchen is breath taking. And the master bedroom is enormous. The home has 2 separated heating and cooling systems.
The developer I am contracting for sets these home up at home shows. Hes also installing these beauties up to 20 a month.
These homes are set in ground. So you dont walk up to get in them. Some have the miracle floor joists like in tract homes and do not require dozens of support stands under neath.
So, what Im saying is they are a great investment. And you can move in within say60 days of purchase. If you want to build a home, you have to find a reputable contractor, deal with the jerks at your local building department, and your looking at a minimum of 6 months move in from the time you break ground.
I know. I am a general contractor. I was a gereral super for a developer for 6 years, during that I oversaw the construction of 500 homes. It takes a little more that 60 differant contractors to
build a tract of homes. You can expect to hire half that many on a custom home.
Sorry I was so long winded.
Mike
:cool:

HighRoller
01-08-2004, 09:26 PM
I agree with you on the pre-fab homes except for one thing. They still LOOK cheap, at least every one that I've seen does. My Fiance's mother works for a pre-fab home manufacturer and we could probably get a 3000ft home from them for about 50K and once you're inside you can't tell the difference. I just have a hard time with the vinyl siding and flat roof.

TCHB
01-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Sorry you can not get a permit to put a prefab house up in Havasu.

RiverRatMike
01-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Bropb16
I was looking at the models and realized there are house that can be built for about 100000.00 . I was wondering if Anyone knew the process of building the house. The costs to prep the land if it needs and whats involved in building it. We are going up there next week to look at some homes...any other ideas.. we dont have to much to spend only about 150000.00
Even with $150,000 to spend you could still buy a nice home with the lot included! I bought my home here in LHC built in 2001 for 153,000

INXS
01-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by jlnorthrup122
You should talk to a general contractor in the area! bring in your own blue prints (plans). your blue prints could be used as your bible. first you will need to pick the lot then you get the blue prints. Then you hire a land survey team to lay out and excavate the lot then you get your utilties hooked up to your lot. Next hire on the plumbers to run the gas, sewer and water to your hole (basement/slab) the bring in the crette boys in to poor the footings and foundation walls (dont poor driveway or walkways till the house is beeing completed/about the time the drywall finnishing crew is there). then call in the carpenters to frame it in and install the windows. Get the house roofed and sidded (sealed up) next. then get the electritions, plumbers and heating and air guys in there before you get the drywall hangers in there. then get the drywall finnished. then get the floors done! call in the finnish carpenters to do the cupboards trims vanities hang doors ect. then get the elctritions and plumbers back in there to finnish up and don't forget the thermostat? and if you want call in the land scapers! after you move in! makes for a learning expeirience to watch the landscapers work. Oh and don't forget the permits for everything and the building inspectors.
Good Luck and have fun. looking to move to Havasu in a few years and start another perfomance boat factory!:wink: jlnorthrup122, may I add that the builder should make the contractor responsible for any permits. This, at least in N.J., makes the contractor libel for the work passing the inspections.
INXS

INXS
01-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by TCHB
Sorry you can not get a permit to put a prefab house up in Havasu. :( :( :( :( :(
INXS

NOTALENT
01-09-2004, 11:07 AM
well Im going up there next weekend I saw a few New houses for some good prices..Is anyone familar with north lake havasu..as to how far from the lake or river ...Check out this example at : http://www.brentandmichele.com/newlistings.htm
really nice house exellent price...Im checking it out...but curious how close to the lake...

Mr.Havasu
01-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by RiverRatMike
Even with $150,000 to spend you could still buy a nice home with the lot included! I bought my home here in LHC built in 2001 for 153,000
That was in 2001, I'd be willing to bet your home would sell for well over 200K now.
There are still a few deals out there but you need someone looking out for you. Do you have a realtor in town yet? PM me if I can help, I have a brokers lic in Ca. & Az.
Debbie Oster @ river valley morgage is the best, she can hook you up with a builder as well.

RiverRatMike
01-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Well I sure hope it's worth 200K buy now but really I kinda doubt it. I'm thinking more less like 175K. Going to be re-financing very soon. Got a ton of bills to pay off.....
Originally posted by warlock25
That was in 2001, I'd be willing to bet your home would sell for well over 200K now.
There are still a few deals out there but you need someone looking out for you. Do you have a realtor in town yet? PM me if I can help, I have a brokers lic in Ca. & Az.
Debbie Oster @ river valley morgage is the best, she can hook you up with a builder as well.

TrojanDan
01-09-2004, 12:11 PM
I used her for financing my construction and permanent loan. Glad to see you have time to surf the net Debbie. :D
I agree the best people to talk to regarding who some of the most reputable and quickest builders are in LHC are the mortgage brokers and banks. They deal with 100's of applications for loans so they are quite experienced in who to deal with and not to when it comes to builders.
BTW, $120 per sf is a bit out of line for standard not "custom" construction costs in LHC. it is mainly the land value that is driving up the costs of construction. When I had my house completed in Nov 2002, my price per sf for the basic house was ~ $60sf (not including upgrades) and the garage was another ~$30sf. I'm sure it's gone up since then but not to $120 per sf.
:cool:

MissHavasuCig
01-09-2004, 12:43 PM
We did a re-fi with Debbie and it was by far the best business experience we've had in LHC! :)
We did our original loan and 1st re-fi with other LHC companies, and both experiences were horrible. (Patti Woodward @ North American Mortgage Company & Countrywide Home Loans were BAD!!!)
Give Debbie a call... she'll give you good information and when it comes time for the loan she'll do an awesome job!!! :D

roln 20s
01-09-2004, 12:57 PM
Everytime I search for home builders, I end up finding sites like this. Can someone tell me if any of these costs are legit, once you purchase your own lot? It just seems real cheap, and I know how much the homes are going up in value and costs.
http://www.myarizonabuilder.com/lhc/lakehavsucitynewconstruction.htm
http://www.bobcalvin.com/myhomes.asp?filter=yes&Type=2000
These are some cool looking homes, at great prices. Whats a good price for a lot in today's market?
Roln 20s

NOTALENT
01-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by roln 20s
Everytime I search for home builders, I end up finding sites like this. Can someone tell me if any of these costs are legit, once you purchase your own lot? It just seems real cheap, and I know how much the homes are going up in value and costs.
http://www.myarizonabuilder.com/lhc/lakehavsucitynewconstruction.htm
http://www.bobcalvin.com/myhomes.asp?filter=yes&Type=2000
These are some cool looking homes, at great prices. Whats a good price for a lot in today's market?
Roln 20s
If you look at thi pic of the one for sale...I Posted that house is going with the land for 101000.00 I saw those models but actually evan nicer with even 3 car garage and 1 boat deep for 90000...so i would say its realistic..

Sun burners
01-09-2004, 01:10 PM
About $70 to $90 sq ft is what seems to be what I have found out there,
MAKE SURE YOU GET A BIG GARAGE!
BIG LOTS are nice to build on too small is a BITCH.
I think if you could find a nice newer home less than 5years for under $150k with all the little things you like would probally be good enough. Not waiting for permits or contractors about 6 to 9 months thats almost the end of the boating season!

NOTALENT
01-09-2004, 01:29 PM
http://www.bobcalvin.com/MyHomeDtl.asp?lstPages=1&HomeID=128748
anyone have any idea where this is?

Essex502
01-09-2004, 01:49 PM
We bought a spec home in LHC just over a year ago for $140K or so. 1,600 square feet on a 10K sq ft lot. Lots as of a week ago were in the $80K range for minimal ($1,500) required final grading. $60K would get you a lot that required somewhere around $8K in grading/fill but the two we saw had 3 bidders each on the 3rd day listed. Can you say bidding war?
You can certainly build a house for around $100-110K for a 1,600 sq ft home (on your lot) but expect to pay more than than that when options such as security system, tile roof, low-E tinter windows, R50 insulation, wiring changes, etc., etc., etc... are worked into the equation.

RiverRatMike
01-09-2004, 02:28 PM
http://www.bobcalvin.com/MyHomeDtl.asp?lstPages=1&HomeID=128748
anyone have any idea where this is?
Looks to be South LHC which is where I live. That street that home is on in the photo is very close to me... But that street is kinda heavly traveled.

NOTALENT
01-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by RiverRatMike
Looks to be South LHC which is where I live. That street that home is on in the photo is very close to me... But that street is kinda heavly traveled.
How close is that to the lake?

TrojanDan
01-09-2004, 02:52 PM
How close is that to the lake?
About 2 miles from the lake but about 10 to Windsor Launch Ramp! :D

RiverRatMike
01-09-2004, 03:11 PM
less than 10, more like 5 if even that

NOTALENT
01-09-2004, 03:18 PM
thats not bad im going to definatley going to have to check it out. maybe try to do some haggling.lol

summerlove
01-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by TrojanDan
About 2 miles from the lake but about 10 to Windsor Launch Ramp! :D
Not to question, but to be a little more realistic, the new basha's to the airport is 10 miles, so to Windsor it's probably about 4-6.
Buy a resale or spec and move right in. Why fight the hassle of building for a vacation home. Be sure to get it inspected (as in a home inspector), even if it is new - you'd be amazed at what goes on.
I bought my 1805 Sq ft house last April, (with an almost 1600 sq ft garage) for $214K. I think it's appreciated almost $75K, but deals are still out there. It was built in 1998. Here's a pic of mine.
http://www.oursummerlove.com/LAKEHAVASU94945.jpg
What about this idea, and for those of you who have shopped resales in Havasu like I did, you know what I'm talking about.
Remember when you were house hunting, and you came across a very nice home, but every house around it was a pices of crap, and occupied by the Beverly Hillbillies? What if you bought one of those crappy old homes with a nice lake view and scraped it and built your own dream home??? I've kinda thought about it and have spoken with my realtor but she said she hasn't seen anyone do it yet, but she does figure it only a matter of time as raw dirt is fast becoming a rare commodity in LHC.
Ideas? Thoughts???

Restless22
01-09-2004, 05:38 PM
So how is the rental market in LHC. I was tossing it around buying a vacation/rental there. Any info would be great. Give my your $.02
Restless22:eek: :eek: :eek:

NOTALENT
01-09-2004, 07:36 PM
Restless. thats why im buying the house. My buddy and I are going in on it. Rent it out year round. Let them pay it off as I reap the benefits. I have been talking to a few realtors they say for the houses I have been looking at and the area rent for, from 750-1100. With the price of the house being 150000 Are monthly mortgage will be around 700-800. we may only pocket about 100-200 a month which will go back into buying another house but they will pay it off for us.

TrojanDan
01-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
Not to question, but to be a little more realistic, the new basha's to the airport is 10 miles, so to Windsor it's probably about 4-6.
Remember when you were house hunting, and you came across a very nice home, but every house around it was a pices of crap, and occupied by the Beverly Hillbillies? What if you bought one of those crappy old homes with a nice lake view and scraped it and built your own dream home???
Ideas? Thoughts???
OK 9.2 miles then. You have to factor in the stop at Bashas for the sandwiches, Terrible's for gas, then back to the pad because you forgot the cd's.
Problem is you build your badass pad and you're still living next to "Sanford & Sons" and you end up driving up the value of the crappier homes and suppressing yours for the mean time. Buy the crappiest home in the best neighborhood is a better approach. :cool:

phebus
01-09-2004, 09:15 PM
The most frustrating thing about home shopping in Havsau was finding a beautifull home at a fair price, but not being happy with the surrounding homes. It is very easy to find a nice home, but very difficult to find a nice home in a nice area. Patience is the key. Have yourself a punchlist of what you want (boat deep garage with an 8' opening, view, ........etc?), priortize it, and don't cheat yourself by compromising on what you really want.

locogringo
01-09-2004, 10:15 PM
I think the idea of buying a crappy house, tearing it down and rebuilding is a great idea. You would have to weigh the idea of cost valuations to make sure it panned out for itself though.
For those asking about rental properties.... we rent out ours for the winter months and it has been nothing but a pleasant experience. Turns out that we have the same peope each year stay in it. They are in their 60's from back East and take really good care of it.
Our rental agency out there has done a great job for us.
Here is a pic of it...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/26DSC01486-med.JPG

Dr. Eagle
01-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by locogringo
I think the idea of buying a crappy house, tearing it down and rebuilding is a great idea. You would have to weigh the idea of cost valuations to make sure it panned out for itself though.
For those asking about rental properties.... we rent out ours for the winter months and it has been nothing but a pleasant experience. Turns out that we have the same peope each year stay in it. They are in their 60's from back East and take really good care of it.
Our rental agency out there has done a great job for us.
Here is a pic of it...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/26DSC01486-med.JPG
Nice Loco, I like that house and the rig in the driveway ain't half bad either!!!!
Did you get your stereo figured out?
Sorry the 01 manual info didn't work out...

INXS
01-09-2004, 10:43 PM
Has been one of the hottest areas in the country for home price increases the last five years or so. Home values went up a average of about 30% a year for three years. I think we were in the top 5 in the nation for those years, in price increases. I paid $181K six years ago for a 1800 sq. ft ranch on 1.25 acres at the end of the street. I was a real dump and I put in about 45K too fix it up. I got most of the work done a great priceses. I've been told that it would sell for $500K now. Any new homes in the county that are on a 10,000 sq. ft. lot and say 1500 sq. ft. are selling for at least 380K. Two nearby towns, Asbury Park and Long Branch are getting $1.5 billion invested in them by developers. Seems all the rich people in N.Y.C. read about us in Forbes Mag..
INXS

locogringo
01-09-2004, 10:43 PM
DR. thanks for the compliment. Yes, I figured it out finally. Now I need to get the Onstar working because you loose it with an aftermarket radio and also the rear controls (if that is even possible). Those are no biggies though.
Your calendar was sent out yesterday via Fed-Ex. Sorry it took so long to ship.
Daniel

Dr. Eagle
01-09-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by locogringo
DR. thanks for the compliment. Yes, I figured it out finally. Now I need to get the Onstar working because you loose it with an aftermarket radio and also the rear controls (if that is even possible). Those are no biggies though.
Your calendar was sent out yesterday via Fed-Ex. Sorry it took so long to ship.
Daniel
Glad it worked out. I seem to remember that the Onstar needs to connect to the accessory input of the radio, don't remember where I heard that though...so it could be bogus info...

RiverRatMike
01-09-2004, 11:10 PM
love the area here in LHC that I live in. Very nice neighborhood and even have a vacant lot next to my home. I moved here May 2003 and totally love it! South Lake Havasu is the more nicer area. I've been on the North side of LHC and it's not as nice and is much more populated....

summerlove
01-10-2004, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by TrojanDan
OK 9.2 miles then. You have to factor in the stop at Bashas for the sandwiches, Terrible's for gas, then back to the pad because you forgot the cd's.
LOL, but the truth!
I rented my house to the birds for Jan-Mar, 1200/mo. Not too bad, but I got 1750/mo for my condo on the island - they liked being "together" to party, play golf, and go to Bob's for the early bird diners at 3! I guess the old saying is true - birds of a feather do flock together!

Sun burners
01-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Send some snow birds my way!

nodigg
01-10-2004, 06:44 PM
How about just buy one of mine and skip the wait??
2bed\2bath/2 car boat deep swamp cooled garage/lake views/shingle roof/fresh paint/rv parking
$139,900.
3bed/2bath/lake view front and rear/ furnished/RV parking/inside laundry
$169,000.
3 bed/2bath/tile roof/rv parking/tile floors/boat deep 2 car/
pot shelves/NICE!
$225,000
lake view lot on atop of a hill with street level entry to driveway
already graded
$149,000.
:D ;) :D

nodigg
01-10-2004, 06:58 PM
When you DO build, remember you can Never build too much garage out here! Go for the 12' RV door if you can swing it. Make sure to get a long driveway. You cannot believe how many people build a vacation home for boating and can't even park on their driveway because they went with the "standard" 25' concrete!
Don't hold back on insulation either. I went all out on insulation and even in the garage. Makes a hugh difference in my electrical bills.
It is a lot of fun to build though. Best of luck!

NOTALENT
01-10-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by nodigg
How about just buy one of mine and skip the wait??
2bed\2bath/2 car boat deep swamp cooled garage/lake views/shingle roof/fresh paint/rv parking
$139,900.
3bed/2bath/lake view front and rear/ furnished/RV parking/inside laundry
$169,000.
3 bed/2bath/tile roof/rv parking/tile floors/boat deep 2 car/
pot shelves/NICE!
$225,000
lake view lot on atop of a hill with street level entry to driveway
already graded
$149,000.
:D ;) :D
got any pics, and what area are they in?

nodigg
01-12-2004, 02:28 PM
I'll send you some pics by email soon.

Havasu Cig
01-12-2004, 02:55 PM
Our house is in Central Havasu about a mile and a half from Windsor. 1650 sq.ft., 3 bed, two bath, pool, corner 13,000+ sq.ft. lot. We have it rented now for $1200. a month to snowbirds.
I have been told that we could probably get a couple hundred more a month, but at the current rate we have no problems at all renting it.
The last couple of years we have also rented to a jet ski team for 10 days during the World Finals, and they pay $1200. for the 10 days.
We could definitely rent it a lot more, but we are picky about who we rent to. we bought 4 years ago and we are definitely happy with the increase in value so far.:cool:

locogringo
01-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
The last couple of years we have also rented to a jet ski team for 10 days during the World Finals, and they pay $1200. for the 10 days.
Ditto. Ours are actually friends from Vegas but works out well.
They even won the Nationals last year. Good for them!