PDA

View Full Version : Gps

Pointerman
01-09-2004, 12:32 PM
OK, I have never owned or used a hand held GPS unit, but I would like to buy one for use on the boat this year. I boat on the Delta River system here in Northern Cali. and there are lots of restaurants on the water.
I would like to purchase a GPS unit that I can load a map of the Delta on and mark where the restaurants are (when I am at them) and name the waypoint with the name of the restaurant.
Also would like to mark some of the larger beaches on the map. I don't want to just mark waypoints without a map because then I will have to map the way to each destination from every boat launch in our area to be able to get to each destination from the various launches. I would love to hear your recommendations or comments on how you have done this type of thing and what GPS you purchased.

RVRGIRL
01-09-2004, 12:42 PM
"PM" riverratmike. He uses a GPS. He could help you out. (I think)
Good luck...:D

Pointerman
01-09-2004, 12:52 PM
Thanks. I PM'd him.

Pointerman
01-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Back to the top. Come on. Someone has to be using GPS out there.

STV_Keith
01-09-2004, 02:11 PM
If you are only going to use it in the boat, a Garmin GPS 3+ has mapping, but not too much memory for additional maps. I have had EXCELLENT success with my Garmin GPS V.
Current pricing at GPS City (http://www.gpscity.com) is $330. This unit works great in the car or the boat. It comes with the Garmin "Mapsource" CD. You can load in very detailed maps with roads, restuarants, gas stations, ATM locations, etc into it's 19MB of memory.
It will also "auto-route" a trip for you. Give it a location (address, waypoint or place) and it will tell you turn for turn how to get there. I keep it in my car when I'm not in the boat and it's sweet. Keeps max speed as well as all the other stuff. Pricier than some of the entry level units out there, but does a TON more.

summerlove
01-09-2004, 02:16 PM
I have the Garmin GPS III+ and it is great! Mine is alittle older and consequently it does not have the ability to add maps, which is a downside, BUT, if all you're using it for is the delta and local lakes and waterways I wouldn't think it necessary to have the download capability.
I've had mine for about 5 years and use it religiously on Lake Powell and Lake Mead, other than that, It's a fun speedometer!
Good luck...

Chase
01-09-2004, 02:19 PM
I have the Garmin eTrex, and it is pretty basic, but has all the capabilities that i need, as far as mapping waypionts, etc....

Pointerman
01-09-2004, 02:36 PM
Does the e-trex come with maps pre-installed that are detailed enough to navigate by? I am assuming that the unit will show your place on the map. Can you locate where you would like to go on the water and it will tell you when to turn? Lots of dead ends in the Delta, so a reasonably intelligent GPS is necessary to get where you want to go.

Pointerman
01-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Doesn't look like the make the Garmin GPS3+ anymore. I am trying to figure out whether I need to spend the extra dollars to get a mapping model or not. The Garmin GPS 72 and GPS 76 might be fine for me. I may need to make a trip to West Marine.

Essex502
01-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by summerlove
I have the Garmin GPS III+ and it is great! Mine is alittle older and consequently it does not have the ability to add maps, which is a downside, BUT, if all you're using it for is the delta and local lakes and waterways I wouldn't think it necessary to have the download capability.
I've had mine for about 5 years and use it religiously on Lake Powell and Lake Mead, other than that, It's a fun speedometer!
Good luck...
Your III+ should have come with a connector to attach it to a PC to load Garmin maps from a CD. I don't know how detailed they are but the capability is there.

gnarley
01-09-2004, 03:03 PM
Pointerman we boat in the Delta a lot! We use the Magellan meridian Marine, which comes preloaded with the Delta in it and you can add waypoints for all the restaurants you want. I think we paid about $250 last year for it on line & then later bought the mount & DC cable for the boat. You can also buy additional memory & make custom charts then upload them from your computer.

MagicMtnDan
01-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Garmin marine GPS units and fish finders (http://www.garmin.com/marine/products.html#chartplotters)
Click here for BlueChart info on Garmin GPS (http://www.garmin.com/cartography/bluechart/index.jsp)
We have a Garmin Street Pilot 2610 - their newest unit and it has a CompactFlash data card (type I or II) slot for map storage and can store BlueChart maps for marine usage. It's a great unit for car (has voice prompts and does amazing things) and boat and while it lists for over $1000 we bought it for $799.
Click here for Street Pilot 2610 info (http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2610_2650/index.jsp)
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2610_2650/gallery/pt-SP261001Large.jpg

Dave C
01-09-2004, 03:14 PM
gnarley,
does that make getting around the delta easier?
I am a little unnerved getting around there and afraid of prop strikes.
But we would like to go to lost isle sometimes. If you know what I mean.

STV_Keith
01-09-2004, 03:24 PM
Essex502, the GPS3+ does have 1.44mb of memory, but to give you an idea - from the mapsource CD, just the two areas needed to cover Lake Mead are almost 3mb.

summerlove
01-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Essex502
Your III+ should have come with a connector to attach it to a PC to load Garmin maps from a CD. I don't know how detailed they are but the capability is there.
I got carried away - I have the Garmin GPS III, NOT the Plus.
If you get any type of GPS, MAKE SURE IT HAS A MAP!!! The basic ones w/o maps don't do a darn thing...

gnarley
01-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Dave C
gnarley,
does that make getting around the delta easier?
I am a little unnerved getting around there and afraid of prop strikes.
But we would like to go to lost isle sometimes. If you know what I mean.
It makes getting around painless! Before we would get a little off track & kinda wonder where we were and always find our way but with the GPS & the built in chart no-problemO! :) With the GPS & a GPS based map we always know where we are & can reference the map for depth. I also am a member of the Delta forums & the few members there share info pretty good so I have also learned a bit about where to be careful ;)
If you are needing advice let me know I get around out there pretty good & even at night with the backlit GPS, you ought to see it at night after the fourth of July fireworks :eek!: Getting to Lost Isle is easy & you needent worry about props there only a BUI from a sheriff or coastie, If you ever do make it there make damn sure that when you leave you tear off your wristband! ThatÂ’s like advertising heroin to a junkie, the law will see it and then they will board you :mad:

randy77zt
01-09-2004, 08:06 PM
i have a handheld gps but it basically is a fancy test speedo .some of the new gps units are better .i like the delta-it is my favorite place to boat.lots of room for 100+ mph speeds.when i take my boat out in the winter i like to stop at a bar for bailey's & coffee.i just read a map before i go out and pick a spot to find and go for it.

Faster Daddy
01-09-2004, 08:40 PM
I use the Meridian Marine. Comes loaded with all maps, easy to add waypoints, tracks, backtracks, trip meter, screen has back lite for night use and the unit is pretty cheap - around $300. I would definately recommend it.

Uplink
01-10-2004, 02:32 AM
I have the GPS III+ also. GPSV is the new version of it. Works great for the boat, hiking or the car. Its a must have for me when we go to Powell, Mead or Shasta. I have the heavy duty removable strips (like a plastic version of velcro) on the dash and a cigarette lighter adapter. I just download the detail maps of the area from the CD before my trip, works great. Mark