PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy in newstories that you and I are close to;

Flying Tiger
01-09-2004, 07:59 PM
Not to far back, boatcop was explaining in a thread how the news media got a tragic story of a collision mixed up and backwards.
The story events were conjecture, BoatCop was mis-quoted, some of his quotes were attributed to someone else,, facts left out, false facts put in. Does inaccurate reporting just end with that story?
Nope, not at all.
One year ago this week my son and I were on the front page of the LA Times pictured riding our quads at Dumont Dunes. The story had a interview with us, and others active in the movement to keep offroad rideing areas open.
I asked my son if he remembered saying what he was quoted in the TIMES article and he told me it wasn't what he said, and remembered what they quoted me as saying was incorrect too.
Environmentalists masquarading as safety advocates are trying to shut down the Quad and Offroad motorcycle industry. They figure that 80% of the riders are families, and if they get laws passed prohibiting kids from riding,, then it'll be easier to shut down the offroad riding areas.
Well the same reporter that mis-quoted us, had done a piece a month earlier giving these safety advocated a lot of press, and quoted false statistics of the kid injury rate on off road toys.
I tracked down and found this reporter across the street from the LA Times building having a drink at the 2nd Street Saloon/Redwood grill in downtown LA, and told her that a rebuttal, or opposite opinion of what she wrote would be the fair thing to do and she agreed.
But the results were what she felt about the issue, not what I and my son did or said.
Another example:
I drive to Parker towing the boat and sometimes I take the route through Yucca Valley. I pass by Public Televisions host Huel Howsers place and give it a glance.
I appeared on 2 of his Californias Gold/visiting segments on his TV program.
1 appearance was a story on the Lindberg light restoration where I removed the asbestos and re wired the historic light. You can see the Lindberg Light every night rotating atop LA's City Hall as you pass by on the 101 FWY, or look over to it as you enter the Disney Hall on Hope Street.
Another segment was on "SideWalk City" in Hollywood. An old early blue collar Hollywood neighborhood whos residents worked the early studio jobs, and relied on local public transportation.
The point being that I met Howser and worked with him for 4 days on these shows. He is THAT guy that you see on the screen.
A Tennessee bumpkin. Yea a Dry County Tennesse Bumpkin without a lot to say really.
LA MAGAZINE last month ran a story on Hauser and dish-ragged him in each paragraph.
The crap they wrote about him was purely hate. I mean,, this is the last guy in the media that they should have slung shit at.
He bought some not-to-valuable land in 29 Palms and LA MAG tried to make him look like a greedy land holder. In fact, he just stores goofy artifacts their that people give him in his adventures.
Sorry, but the crap they wrote about him was balony.
I can't trust the news,, not at all. where does the truth begin?

01-09-2004, 10:26 PM
I love that program, Calif. Gold. It has alot on interesting shit on it. The host Huell Houser seems like a good 'ol boy, how the hell can anyone find fault with him? They must have really had to dig to dredge shit up on him. Those pricks could make Mother Terisa look like a slut. They can twist any story to suit their agenda. If they ever stick a microphone in my face I'd tell them to **** off.:yuk:

Krazy K
01-09-2004, 11:22 PM
Local stuff is harder to prove, even if you know it is true. If you want truth in news, try NPR. I'm starting to listen to it.
NPR = National Public Radio
www.npr.org

Boatcop
01-10-2004, 05:33 AM
"NPR" & "TRUTH"
Those are two concepts I never thought I'd see put together.

spectratoad
01-10-2004, 05:43 AM
I listen to NPR once in awhile. Usually when I want to hear what the green side of the world is thinking.
Yes I am a republican and listen to Rush and Hannity and some local conservative hosts but even they are slanted a little, more truth but still a little slanted.
Reporter are notorious for getting the story wrong. I read the local rag, listen to the radio, read the internet and digest everyones version of the truth and then go down the middle and try to form my own opinion.

Forkin' Crazy
01-10-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Boatcop
"NPR" & "TRUTH"
Those are two concepts I never thought I'd see put together.
I'll second that! If one just listens to it a while, I do sometimes at work for several hours, you can tell the liberal slant.
It's really too bad. The media has too much influence on easily influenced people.
I take everything that comes from the media today with a handful of salt!
:rolleyes:

MagicMtnDan
01-10-2004, 10:17 AM
NPR = National Palestinian Radio
Our tax dollars at work :mad:

Kachina26
01-10-2004, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
NPR = National Palestinian Radio
And all this time I thought it was National Propaganda Radio. Maybe it's really National Pravda Radio.