PDA

View Full Version : Gelcoat option #1

likwidsukr
01-12-2004, 10:06 AM
What coatings/paint type would be best for a boat? I am looking for white and black. Other than a gelcoat. Shiny as a motha focka....:D

likwidsukr
01-12-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I'm not sure what the question is here..
I think the answer is Imron paint though..
RD :confused:
I was thinking Imron as well......You had it right :D

Havasu Cig
01-12-2004, 10:53 AM
I have Imron on the Cig and the stuff is tough as nails.

likwidsukr
01-12-2004, 11:30 AM
Thanks HC
Is that stuff expensive?

Havasu Cig
01-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Yes!!
I bought some from Cig, and it was about $100. a pint. You might be able to get it somewhere cheaper, but I wanted an exact match and they painted the boat.
There were also some EPA issues, but I had a friend pick it up for me while he was in Florida. I see you are not in Ca. so you might not have a problem with this.

OGShocker
01-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by likwidsukr
Thanks HC
Is that stuff expensive?
Try contacting Franky (Hollywood) at El Monte Paint Or Auto Paint in Beautiful El Monte, CA!!!

Tom Brown
01-12-2004, 03:23 PM
I buy Imron from a jobber who sells DuPont products. It costs me about $140 USD/gallon (that's the normal retail price for Imron) and it's another 55 US bucks for the catalyst to light it off.
As I recall, the ultra bright white is number 555U. I can look at the black to see what number it is.
There is a decent selection of colors and samples but don't forget that they can mix down anything you like.
One thing about Imron is that it takes a lot of material to get much build so you can color sand. I would think the average 20 foot boat would easily take two gallons.
Also, you'll need to prime if you're trying to cover gel. I went with three coats of DuPont 114x filler/primer. The prime is a three part process that is as spendy as the top coat.
Much of my information came from Jetboat Brian but your supplier should have all kinds of info on the products too. Imron is lethal stuff, literally, so it requires some pretty agressive safety equipment like external supply air for the painter and high levels of skin and eye protection. It's serious stuff, don't take the safety lightly. There is a reason people like us aren't supposed to have access to it.
-- Tom

Tom Brown
01-12-2004, 03:28 PM
Here's a hull in DuPont 1144 prime.
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/primerHull.jpg
... and here's that same hull in white. It's plenty bright. LOL :)
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/whiteHull.jpg
I hope JBB chimes in with some advice for you. He advised me and I've had a ton of fun painting the shit out of everything in the shop. :D :D
Thanks again, Brian. Those sensual massages I give you each weekend are a small price to pay for quality advice. http://www.***boat.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

ROZ
01-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
Imron is lethal stuff, literally..... There is a reason people like us aren't supposed to have access to it.
-- Tom
You didn't use a respirator, did you ?!? :p :D