PDA

View Full Version : true or false

21rayson
01-12-2004, 06:56 PM
True or False?
Can you guess which of the following are true or false?
1. Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in
the morning.
2. Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a bellybutton.
3. A pack-a-day smoker will lose approximately 2 teeth every 10 yrs.
4. People do not get sick from cold weather; it's from being indoors
a lot more.
5. When you sneeze, all bodily functions stop even your heart!
6. Only 7 per cent of the population are lefties.
7. 40 people are sent to the hospital for dog bites every minute.
8. Babies are born without knee caps. They don't appear until they
are 2 - 6 years old.
9. The average person over fifty will have spent 5 years waiting in
lines.
10. The toothbrush was invented in 1498.
11. The average housefly lives for one month.
12. 40,000 Americans are injured by toilets each year.
13. A coat hanger is 44 inches long when straightened.
14. The average computer user blinks 7 times a minute.
15. Your feet are bigger in the afternoon than the rest of the day.
16. Most of us have eaten a spider in our sleep.
17. The REAL reason ostriches stick their head in the sand is to
search for water.
18. The only 2 animals that can see behind itself without turning
it's head are the rabbit and the parrot.
19. John Travolta turned down the starring roles in "An Officer and
a Gentleman" and "Tootsie".
20. Michael Jackson owns the rights to the South Carolina State anthem.
21. In most television commercials advertising milk, a mixture of
white paint and a little thinner is used in place of the milk.
22. Prince Charles and Prince William NEVER travel on the same
airplane just in case there is a crash.
23. The first Harley Davidson motorcycle built in 1903 used a tomato
can for a carburetor.
24. Most hospitals make money by selling the umbilical cords cut
from women who give birth.
They are reused in vein transplant surgery.
25. Humphrey Bogart was related to Princess Diana. They were 7th cousins.
26. If coloring weren't added to Coca-Cola, it would be green.
Answers below.
ALL OF THE ABOVE ARE TRUE !!!

GlastronGuy
01-12-2004, 07:15 PM
2 and 8 are definitely false.

likwidsukr
01-12-2004, 10:01 PM
26. If coloring weren't added to Coca-Cola, it would be green. That is not the news I wanted to hear!!
:eek:

Rivertoys
01-12-2004, 10:31 PM
2 is FALSE, for sure!
I'm goin' to look up 23 in my Complete Encyplopia of Harley Davidson when I get home tonight. ;)
RTJas :D

Rivertoys
01-12-2004, 10:39 PM
23 is FALSE :
“There was never a carburetor made from a tomato can. This belief is in error, arising from a Motor Company employee’s public remark years later that the carburetor was “as big as” a tomato can..."
Let's find more myths..... ;)

Rivertoys
01-12-2004, 10:46 PM
OK, anyone who read that first post, needs to read THIS!!! (http://stupidevilbastard.com/archives/2002/12/02/email_irritations.php) ;)

Rivertoys
01-12-2004, 10:49 PM
#7 just fell into falsehood....
"According to a 1998 article in The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), during a three-year study, there were 914 new dog bite injuries requiring emergency room visits per day. With 1,440 minutes in a day, that's less than one bite per minute."
My wife doesn't call me the king of useless knowledge for nothin'! :rolleyes: :D

LASERRAY
01-12-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Rivertoys
#7 just fell into falsehood....
"According to a 1998 article in The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), during a three-year study, there were 914 new dog bite injuries requiring emergency room visits per day. With 1,440 minutes in a day, that's less than one bite per minute."
My wife doesn't call me the king of useless knowledge for nothin'! :rolleyes: :D You Go Girl!:D But Really, thanks for the reality check. It all sounded too good to be true!:D :cool: No Belly button, really!:rolleyes:

MagicMtnDan
01-12-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by 21rayson
True or False?
Can you guess which of the following are true or false?
2. Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a bellybutton.
Every human ever born had a bellybutton. Without one, the embryo would have no way of receiving nutrients while inside it’s mothers womb.
If Alfred didn’t have a bellybutton he wouldn't have been born - he would have been stillborn or miscarried months earlier.

MagicMtnDan
01-12-2004, 11:31 PM
Did you know that the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary?
Did you know that there was no 13th president?
Did you know that you don't really pay taxes, the money isn't actually taken out of your paycheck - it's never even paid to you?!
Did you know that there really is a perpetual motion machine? The government has it stored out at Area 51 in the desert with the UFO that crashed last century.

FMluvswater
01-13-2004, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by MagicMtnDan
Did you know that the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary?
:p Almost made me go look! :D Damn.

GlastronGuy
01-13-2004, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Rivertoys
23 is FALSE :
“There was never a carburetor made from a tomato can. This belief is in error, arising from a Motor Company employee’s public remark years later that the carburetor was “as big as” a tomato can..."
Let's find more myths..... ;)
http://www.factorytoursinpa.com/factorytours/switches/harley.jsp

likwidsukr
01-13-2004, 06:33 AM
11. The average housefly lives for one month.
Life History: The house fly (Figure 1) passes through four life stages. These are egg, larva (maggot), pupa and winged adult. Under normal representative conditions the egg stage requires 8 to 12 hours. The larval stage may take about 5 days, and the pupa 4 to 5 days. This gives a total of about 10 days for development from egg to adult. Under ideal conditions, the life cycle may be as short as 6 days.
http://www-aes.tamu.edu/doug/ipm/fig_01.jpg
In Texas there may be two to three generations per month during warm months. Adult female flies have shown the ability to lay more than 2,000 eggs. They lay eggs in clusters of 75 to 150 every 3 to 4 days during a 31 day period. Normally a female fly will produce about 500 to 600 eggs during her lifetime.
Life Cycle Female lays 5-6 batches of 75-120 oval, white eggs on moist manure or garbage. Eggs hatch in 10-24 hours. Larvae reach full size in 5 days emerging as adults about 5 days later. Males live for 15 days, females up to 26 if they have access to milk, sugar, and water
http://a1410.g.akamai.net/f/1410/1633/7d/209.133.64.45/insects_spid/insects_spid_m/IS0069_1m.jpg

Rivertoys
01-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by GlastronGuy
http://www.factorytoursinpa.com/factorytours/switches/harley.jsp
"The folklore that surrounds that first engine centers on the carburetor. Legend has it fashioned from a tomato can, and in my heart I'd like to believe that. But given the founders' seriousness and the efforts they put into developing exact drawings and patterns, I can't see them settling for something so primitive." From: 100 Years of Harley-Davidson
by Willie G. Davidson (http://www.twbookmark.com/books/42/0821228196/chapter_excerpt15892.html)

Jordy
01-13-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by 21rayson
True or False?
18. The only 2 animals that can see behind itself without turning
it's head are the rabbit and the parrot.
I'd lean towards this being false as well. If you consider all of the species of animals in the world, it's false based on that alone.

gigamurph
01-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Geezus! I bet you guys would be a barrel of laughs at the circus! You mean that that isn't a real mermaid? You mean that thtat that guy wasn't a real werewolf? Sheesh! Whatevar happened to takin' a little useless BS, runnin' with it, and laughin' at the next "goof" who looks at ya with a "No s**t!" look on his face! Have we removed ourselves so far from a little old-fashioned "BS fun" that we have to analyze every"friggin'"thing like it's the second coming of Red Skelton? If we put as much effort and research into the "real" dilemmas of life, we'd have had a cure for cancer 25 years ago; be flyin' to Mars for a quick vacation instead of for the first time; AIDS would be no more; children could play on the playgrounds after school and on weekends without fear; and so on; and so on; and so on.....It was a little meaningless info meant to entertain; not turn the world around and upside down! Lighten up and laugh a little! Life is too short to be taken so seriously that ya can't laugh at it, the BS, and ourselves! :rolleyes:
Thanx 21rayson! I've seen that before and always find it amusin' and entertainin'! Even if some of it may be BS! No! Especially if it is BS!:)