PDA

View Full Version : Two years ago yesterday?

Infomaniac
01-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Two years ago or three? Pretty sure it was two
I intended to post this yesterday but was preoccupied.
Is easy for me to remember because because Jan 11 is my little bros birthday.
Who remembers?

JetBoatRich
01-12-2004, 07:52 PM
I give up:(

MRS FLYIN VEE
01-12-2004, 07:53 PM
I wasn't here.. :(

Mrs Luvnlife
01-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Infomaniac
Two years ago or three? Pretty sure it was two
I intended to post this yesterday but was preoccupied.
Is easy for me to remember because because Jan 11 is my little bros birthday.
Who remembers?
You mean the HTM accident at Castaic??

Havasu Hangin'
01-12-2004, 07:54 PM
I do.

MudPumper
01-12-2004, 07:58 PM
That's crazy, I was at Castaic yesterday.

ratso
01-12-2004, 08:17 PM
That was about the time that I joined these forums. I remember following that thread for days and going "wow" and "Oh my God." :frown:

Kim Hanson
01-12-2004, 09:09 PM
I wear it allway's, the other boat has it also!:( .......( . )( . )........
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72htm.jpg
Us on Havasu Barney, we allway's will!.........( . )( . )......:frown:

Infomaniac
01-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Well Kim - I guess I could have looked at my stickers to help me remember if it had been 2 or 3 years.

CrazyHippy
01-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Now the important Question...
Has the HTM accident made you safer?
BJH

Kim Hanson
01-13-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by CrazyHippy
BJH
I only go it my boats to the max by myself, the rest of the time 70 with passengers. The V-Drive, I should be in that thing by myself.......my oldest daughter wanted a ride...so she got one, didn't like it compared to the HST..........( . )( . ).........Safe is a strong word, I like to play to the floor:D

CrazyHippy
01-13-2004, 09:19 PM
I'll give your oldest a ride:D
You bringing her to BBSP??
And i agree on the only running 100% while alone. About 90% with an adult or 2, and 75% if there are more than that, or kids.
BJ(serious about that ride hehehe)H

LASERRAY
01-13-2004, 10:14 PM
And i agree on the only running 100% while alone. About 90% with an adult or 2, and 75% if there are more than that, or kids.
Good Policy. I was thinking the same thing. Accidents can sometimes be prevented.:cool:

CrazyHippy
01-14-2004, 01:13 AM
And worse case i am not ruining anyone elses life w/ my mistake.
BJH:eek:

Ducatista
01-14-2004, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Kim Hanson
I wear it allway's, the other boat has it also!:( .......( . )( . )........
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72htm.jpg
Us on Havasu Barney, we allway's will!.........( . )( . )......:frown: We have this same sticker on our Burb at the Islander, where Steve was a neighbor. I remember Steve stopping by one day to look at our brand new Cheetah which was just delivered. He told me it was the nicest Cheetah he had ever seen. He then told me it was his unhappiness with a Cheetah that he bought, that got him into the Custom Boat building bussiness in the first place, or something to that effect. Its good we don't forget....thanks for the reminder. (Thats why I like OGShockers Dana)

Windy
01-14-2004, 10:55 AM
I remember it like it was yesterday. :(

eliminatedsprinter
01-14-2004, 11:24 AM
BJH
No, but it sure made going to Castiac a lot less fun.:(
There is a saying, "bad events spawn bad laws", or in this case stupid crackdowns.
It was disgusting seeing our City's officials climb all over each other to demagogue this.:rolleyes:

svlperry
01-14-2004, 12:33 PM
i've only been on this board for a short while can anybody enlighten me on what happened how did the accident happen

Ducatista
01-14-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by svlperry
i've only been on this board for a short while can anybody enlighten me on what happened how did the accident happen While running at speed, testing a new 30ft HTM cat with a couple of monster motors, this accident occured. Here is a press release on the subject, which is sensative to say the least, to many on this board and in the boating community.
Search resumes for three missing in boat accident
CASTAIC (AP) ---- The search for three men presumed dead after a boating accident in Castaic Lake will resume Sunday with a remotely operated vehicle that has an attached camera.
A rescue team ended its second day of searching for the missing men Saturday after finding little more than boat pieces and shoes. The wreckage of the high-speed performance boat that capsized Friday afternoon rests more than 240 feet below the surface, which is far too deep for county divers.
The body of Ken Lane, 41, of La Crescenta, was recovered quickly after the boat sank, but the bodies of three other men aboard the boat have not been recovered.
The accident occurred during a test run of a 30-foot double-hulled catamaran built by Agua Dulce-based High Torque Marine.
The boat-building company's owner, Steve Coulombe, 38, insisted on taking every new boat out for testing and was among the three missing. Also missing are Nelson Roy Brinkham, 30, of Phelan, a company engineer, and Chuck Wiseman, 47, who bought a boat from Coulombe a year ago and became a friend.
Witnesses and family members said one of the boat's two 400-plus-horsepower engines may have unexpectedly seized while the boat was speeding along the lake, forcing the craft to bank hard to the left and roll over.
Michael Gonzalez, a friend of the victims who is acting as spokesman for all the families, appealed for deep-water divers to volunteer with the recovery effort.
"They all died doing what they loved," Gonzalez said of the four men.
The wreckage is located too deep for county divers and the vast majority of scuba divers, said Sgt. Tom Thompson of the sheriff's department.
At those depths air turns toxic and the situation is exacerbated at Castaic because the lake's high elevation means the air has even less oxygen.
The lake, created as a backup water storage site for the California Aqueduct, is 1,515 feet above sea level. An upper lake is for jet skiing and sailboats, the lower for non-power boats and swimming.
Wreck of boat that killed four located
CASTAIC (AP) ---- A private marine recovery crew late Sunday located the wreckage of an experimental speed boat that capsized and sank to the bottom of Castaic Lake, killing the four men aboard.
With the assistance of a submersible video camera, a firm hired by the victims' family found the wreckage in the deep waters of the lake, said Los Angeles County sheriff's Deputy Ron Bottomley.
An attempt was to be made Monday to bring the wreckage to the surface.
The 30-foot, twin-engine vessel flipped Friday while speeding in a 35 mph zone. Investigators were still trying to determine what caused it to flip.
The body of Ken Lane, 41, of La Crescenta, was found Friday. The bodies of Steve Coulombe, 38, of Agua Dulce; Nelson Roy Brinkman, 30, of Phelan; and Chuck Weisman, 47, of Castaic, are believed to be in the boat.
Family members and friends have been gathering at the lake since Friday.
"They all died doing what they loved," said friend Michael Gonzalez.
Coulombe owned High Torque Marine in Acton, which builds and sells high-speed boats. Lane was a High Torque engineer, and Brinkman was an assistant engine builder. Weisman was a customer and friend of Coulombe's.
Members of the sheriff's dive team accompanied divers from San Diego-based Private Marine Salvage Co., which was brought in after the Sheriff's Department said it couldn't reach the boat 240 feet below the surface.
Portions of the lake 30 miles north of Los Angeles remained closed as the recovery operation continued.
R.I.P. :frown:

Havasu Hangin'
01-14-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by svlperry
i've only been on this board for a short while can anybody enlighten me on what happened how did the accident happen
One was a member here.

Sherpa
01-19-2004, 01:17 PM
was the boat and the occupants ever recovered-?
very sad story......
--Sherpa