PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting

Boozer
01-13-2004, 10:08 PM
Need some advice and based on the fact that most of you are very successful business folks and have your own business I figure this would be the best place to get it.
I'm currently a 50/50 partner in an On site Tech support/Consulting biz but my business partner is to say the least a complete dipshit and the worst business man I have ever met in my life. He has caused me to lose more money then I have made.
With that said, I am in the process of starting up my own business. A business I feel will do well because it's targeting the I.T. Support and consulting business in a way it has never been hit before. Meaning I am going to be able to provide an awesome service and have little to no competition.
I need to recruit sales people. Because of my idiot business partner I don't have the money to run ads and contract with staffing services for sales people. I need good experienced sales people with high drive and motivation to make this thing successful.
What's a good inexpensive way to find sales people to help me get this thing started? I'm hitting a lot of brick walls right now because people want insurance, 401k's, the works. All I can offer them is a 100% commissioned sales job. As the business grows so will the perks but right now there aren't many perks with the exception of being able to offer them the ability to write their own paychecks. The more they sale the more they make and with what I am looking to do a good sales person should be able to sale a lot.
What have those of you who have been down this road before done to find good sales people?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

MagicMtnDan
01-13-2004, 11:24 PM
I could probably write a book about this but I don't have the time so I'll keep this short.
It sounds lik you're looking for quality, experienced salespeople who will work for commission only. Fuggedaboudit.
In my opinion, your best bet is to take the time to hire young people who are maleable and want to get into sales because they want to earn more money. They don't have to be young but that's typically what you'll get since you're not paying any base salary. You will also be able to attract people who feel they're in a deadend job and want to make a change.
You're going to have to offer training and I suggest at least one solid week and two will be better. If you organize the training - you can get outlines and lots of info off the Web and other sources - put it all into a three-ring binder with dividers/sections on sales basics and your product knowledge (information particular to your business). I suggest you do one week of sales basics and the second week of your business training as it pertains to selling.
And I suggest you offer a base pay even if it's minimum wage for the first two weeks. You want (need) to show people you're willing to invest in them and that you expect them to invest in you (and their careers).
Be sure to interview very carefully and only take those who you are sure are willing to learn and work. Look for drive and potential but do not underestimate the importance of character!
There may be other ways to staff your company but I'm not sure they'll be effective. Of course if you don't want to train people then you'll have to settle for whoever walks through your door (responds to your ads or signs). Consider advertising at the local community colleges and even calling their job placement offices to let them know you're looking for salespeople (without experience).
Good luck. And feel free to PM me if there's anything here you'd like to explore further.

Just Tool'n
01-13-2004, 11:36 PM
I would first get it going on your own, get a few accounts by going & do the selling on your own. Then after you get those first few accounts then start with the sales people. I think MagicMtnDan is on the right track with the minimum wage base salary first.
What I try to do is look around for the type of people you want in sales now. Look at pepsi, coke & frito lay driver, they are route sales people, they run into alot of people in there line of work. You need to network all friends & assoc for people, or even ideals, maybe join a perfessional group like lyons clubs, rotary club, or toastmaster. These are all professional people that know people.
Look around the internet, there might be a forum, like hot boat that people of sales use, shit I might start to look for one myself, I allways need a few more good salesman.
Best of luck, If I can be of further assistance, E-mail me.
Best regards
Just Tool'n

Havasu Hangin'
01-14-2004, 05:18 AM
Quality sales people come at a quality price. Some of the best tech/consulting sales people I've met (and interviewed) pull down $200-$500K per year. You'll get what you pay for.
Like Dan said, a guarantee is a good idea (or a draw against future commissions), but most companies I know pay a minimum of 3 months (to get a pipeline full). A year guarantee is not unheard of.
Good salespeople will scrutinize your business plan and future earnings potential- if they don't ask, move on.
Telemarketers to cold call potential clients will be cheapest- the other end of the spectrum is a guy with a Palm Pilot full of contacts in the sector you are targeting.
For a sales guy, the risk of joining a small startup should be outweighed by the potential for a significant payout (otherwise, they might as well be working at Peoplesoft, etc.).
Good luck. You'll get what you pay for.

Boozer
01-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I am sitting down with my accountant on Saturday to run all of the final numbers and see where I stand financially.
I will keep you guys posted and let you know how things go. If they go well I hope to expand the company to other regions like Cali and the likes.

Dave C
01-14-2004, 11:19 AM
boozer,
make sure your old partner is written out of your new venture. It depends on your old agreement.
You might have to talk to an attorney.

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Boozer....I guess I have been fortunate but I have only actually had 2 salespeople in 18 years of business. I started by handling the sales myself and to this day I am the sales contact when needed at my company. My company was built on service first and that is what we have strived to master. I have found it very difficult to find anybody in sales that I would want to keep on. I have also tried to manage growth so as not to lose the focus on providing top-notch service to our clients. That is what they want and need.
Good luck on your venture. You are always better off without a partner if you don't absolutely need one. That is the spirit of the self employeed.....doing things your way.

Tom Brown
01-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Boozer
I'm currently a 50/50 partner in an On site Tech support/Consulting biz but my business partner is to say the least a complete dipshit and the worst business man I have ever met in my life.
Boozer, it sounds like you blame your partner for everything and take no responsibility for the problems you're up against. What kind of dipshit starts a partnership with an inept business man?
Blame is an anchor. Cut that rope and move on. Focus on the future. You reap what you sew.
Making friends everywhere I go... :D
-- Tom

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
Boozer, it sounds like you blame your partner for everything and take no responsibility for the problems you're up against. What kind of dipshit starts a partnership with an inept business man?
Blame is an anchor. Cut that rope and move on. Focus on the future. You reap what you sew.
Making friends everywhere I go... :D
-- Tom
Damn Tom....You are one tough ?&%#$&...but I have to say I agree with you :)

hd&boatrider
01-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
Damn Tom....You are one tough ?&%#$&...but I have to say I agree with you :)
Just so I am clear on this.....I am not calling you a dipshit Boozer :eek!:

Tom Brown
01-14-2004, 12:00 PM
I am. :D

BUSTI
01-14-2004, 12:02 PM
Boozer,
Like Dan I believe you must have a dedication to train people when starting or maintaining a sales force. I have found that a army of young high energy youthful sales people can accomplish alot. Give me a lot of people, well trained with a plan, all doing a lil bit of biusness each nets you a lot of business. Even though individually each is only doing just a little bit.
Remember if you are going to train it is always more cost effective for you to train 10 sales people at one time than 2. If you opt to hire young inexperienced people hie 10 of them and train them all at one time. The benifit is that you can get cyergy going for you. After all excitement is infectious and the young group you hire will feed off each other and actually it is easier to motivate a team of new sales people than it is just one new sales rep. Also it is easier on you. They team concept is great as you can assign the leaders you develope in the group to travel and help train the others that with time will become good employees but time or because of the lack of it for you ...needs more attention. And your team can help train each other.
Don't be disaapointed that if you hire 10 this 1/4er that only one is with you at the end of summer. REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH A LOT OF DUDS TO GET SOME STUDS!
Also create a compensation plan that inclides signing bonuses and commision over rides for you new sales staff that helps you recruit new people. Turn your new employees into professional recruiters for you and your company.. I have found that excited talkitve new sales people can really help you recruit new sales people. Especially in the first 2 months the new people will be very excited and can really help you recruit.
Now for the best sales management advise I can give you...NEVER STOP HIRING SALES PEOPLE! NEVER STOP RECRUITING SALES PEOPLE. WHEN SALES START TO AVERAGE OUT OR DECLINE REMEMBER HIRE! HIRE! HIRE! NEW SALES PEOPLE.
Your goal should always be to double the size of you sales staff every year...if you have that philosophy in hiring sales people your business will grow beyond your expectations.
Also your clients and or clients you want to get can help you recruit. I have a monthly and quarterly recruiting letter that goes out to my existing clients and all of my potential clients asking them for help for new recruits that can help you build your business.