PDA

View Full Version : Batteries

RJ Nordic
01-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Looking for a "good deal" on a couple of Optima batteries. Any suggestions? Already checked out Eddie Marine on line $188
Shouldn't be too much for shipping batteries. :mad:
And what's the difference between the blue top marine cranking battery and the blue top marine deep cycle battery.

mbrown2
01-13-2004, 10:53 PM
Go look at Costco...I thought I saw Blue Tops there for around 140-150...

HCS
01-13-2004, 10:55 PM
www.optimabatteries.com
Shop, search.....find. Napa auto parts has good connections.

MagicMtnDan
01-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Costco (no shipping)

Rexone
01-14-2004, 04:02 AM
We sell the Blue Deep cycle marine for 179.95
The yellow deep cycle (not marine) for 170.95
The blue cranking for 142.95
The yellow cranking for 130.95
Deep cycle bats are designed to be as the name suggests "deeply discharged repeatedly". Great in applications with lots of accessories running without alternator.
Cranking batteries are for just that, cranking power, starting hi compression engines etc. Big amp hour capability for cranking hard. Not designed to be "deeply" discharged and recharged repeatedly.
Call before coming. We can get in a day. Currently have deep cycles on the shelf and are out of crankers.

MagicMtnDan
01-14-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Rexone
We sell the Blue Deep cycle marine for 179.95
The yellow deep cycle (not marine) for 170.95
The blue cranking for 142.95
The yellow cranking for 130.95
Deep cycle bats are designed to be as the name suggests "deeply discharged repeatedly". Great in applications with lots of accessories running without alternator.
Cranking batteries are for just that, cranking power, starting hi compression engines etc. Big amp hour capability for cranking hard. Not designed to be "deeply" discharged and recharged repeatedly.
Call before coming. We can get in a day. Currently have deep cycles on the shelf and are out of crankers.
Hey Mike, that's some good info. I feel bad for suggesting Costco now that I read your post - I believe folks should try and patronize local vendors especially ones like your company because you're on the boards - we should buy from our friends first.
OK so I'm curious - what's the best setup for a boat - what combination of batteries (which ones and how many of each) for the typical boat (around here) with a decent stereo? Are they isolated from each other (I assume they are but I'm not a multiple battery expert)? Just wondering...

SDLifesaver
01-14-2004, 07:08 AM
American Battery in Havasu has them both for 152.99 ea. Best deal yet.

1stepcloser
01-14-2004, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by RJ Nordic
What's the difference between the blue top marine cranking battery and the blue top marine deep cycle battery.
The blue top batteries have "marine type" connectors, meaning they have the post and wingnut on top, no side posts.
The yellow top (and red, for that matter) are the typical dual post type.
I thought the yellow top was the deep cycle, and the red top was the "cranking" type.....The blue is the same as the yellow just with the studs on top for marine applications...?

Havasu Hangin'
01-14-2004, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by 1stepcloser
I thought the yellow top was the deep cycle, and the red top was the "cranking" type.....The blue is the same as the yellow just with the studs on top for marine applications...?
Optima makes a marine (Blue Top) cranking and a Marine (Blue Top) Deep Cycle.
1SC is right...the posts are the only difference between the Red and Yellow Tops.
Those posts must be expensive. Try Costco or online (unless Mike is going to give you the "good ole boy" price)

1stepcloser
01-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
The posts are the only difference between the Yellow and Blue Tops.
:wink:

JetBoatRich
01-14-2004, 07:57 AM
Optima makes a marine (Blue Top) cranking and a Marine (Blue Top) Deep Cycle.
1SC is right...the posts are the only difference between the Red and Yellow Tops.
Those posts must be expensive. Try Costco or online (unless Mike is going to give you the "good ole boy" price)
I have a dual battery set-up already. They are getting weak, so should I get both type batteries. One that runs electronics and one for cranking?

Angie
01-14-2004, 08:33 AM
You should PM BOBALOO about the Trojan batteries set-up we use in our boat. So far, very successful!

Outnumbered
01-14-2004, 09:57 AM
I say buy red tops because they are cheaper and have a better warranty. I have deep cycled my red tops many times and they seem to do just fine.
OL

dorC
01-14-2004, 10:13 AM
The marine stuff also comes with a shorter warantee. Optima actually recommended I use the red tops for starting in my boat because they were cheaper, had a longer warantee and were exactly the same (other than the posts).

rvrhlic
01-14-2004, 10:51 AM
I woudl recommend http://batteriesareus.com/. They had great prices when i got my optimas back in August.
rvrhlic

Havasu Hangin'
01-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
I have a dual battery set-up already. They are getting weak, so should I get both type batteries. One that runs electronics and one for cranking?
I would think it would depend on how you use it.
If you run your batteries down low, then a deep cycle is the way to go.
Hey...I'm a poet, and I didn't even know it.

Lightning
01-14-2004, 03:04 PM
I have the Trojan Battery setup in my boat and have no complaints at all. 2 for cranking the boat over. 2 6volt run in series for the stereo.

Havasu Hangin'
01-14-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Lightning
I have the Trojan Battery setup in my boat and have no complaints at all. 2 for cranking the boat over. 2 6volt run in series for the stereo.
How much does all that weigh?

Lightning
01-14-2004, 04:33 PM
I think the 6 volts weigh in at 62 lbs each. I am not sure on the other ones, I think they are around 43 lbs each if I remember correctly. They are not too much heavier than the Optima's, which are in the 40 lb range for the red tops and 50 lb range for the yellow top depending on which ones you buy. Makes the wake real nice for wakeboarding. :wink:

77charger
01-14-2004, 04:49 PM
How much does all that weigh? Unless speed is a factor i dont think the weight would matter plus you can hear your stereo all day without going dead.Very hard to beat the 6vlt set up IMO.I plan on doing it myself but only using one starting batt for a total of three 2 6vs 1 12v.P lus the 6vs are way more heavy duty compared to any 12vThey can be drained down farther and rechaged as fast as you can recharge them.
Ithink the new set up i plan on doing will add about 55pnds.And the batts only cost 55 each x 2

H.B. Brett
01-14-2004, 05:40 PM
I was having problems with the house batteries going belly up yearly in my RV and decided to upgrade to the Optimas. When I got to my usual place of purchase they had switched to Dry Cell Odyssey Batteries. After doing some research, I ended up replacing my 2 deep cycles with the biggest dry cell I could get. It works as both a starting and a deep cycle, and performs better in every area. They are also a lot smaller than a comparable standard battery, can be mounted in any position, and can be left on the shelf for years and they won't lose a charge. The warranty was one of the best I've seen. I've had no problem with the RV, and I plan on dropping a couple in the boat before next season. It's worth looking into. Check the link below and compare.
Good Luck!
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/

Havasu Hangin'
01-14-2004, 05:58 PM
Man...you guys are defensive.
I would think the Optimas are (lb/AH) close to the Trojans. I mean, if a group 24 Optima is 43lbs, that would mean a difference of 19 lbs? So 2 Trojans at 126lbs are really equal to about 3 Optimas...or 165AH?
The Optimas are 13.2 volts fully charged. More volts = louder stereo. Two 6 volts = 12 volts. Less volts = quieter stereo.
Of course you could turn up the volume a little more, and hope your amp doesn't clip and/or overheat.
As for the cost savings, Mr. 77 (battery) Charger...an Optima will save money when you don't have to replace your interior from the acid release, and you don't have to replace the blown amps and speakers.

77charger
01-14-2004, 07:04 PM
well jeff i charge my 2 6vs to 13.2 also:D
there 225 amp hours=longer stereo run time:D
And squares probably make more sound on less power:cool: someday you will get hip to be square:)
My experience with the 6vs is in my toybox and so far really happy with them i can go all weekend running alot of power with no need to run the gen to recharge.So that is why i am going to use them for my boat stereothey are not trojans btw but another brand that a glof cart dealer next door to our shop sells but work just as good

BoatFloating
01-14-2004, 08:18 PM
Man...you guys are defensive.
I would think the Optimas are (lb/AH) close to the Trojans. I mean, if a group 24 Optima is 43lbs, that would mean a difference of 19 lbs? So 2 Trojans at 126lbs are really equal to about 3 Optimas...or 165AH?
The Optimas are 13.2 volts fully charged. More volts = louder stereo. Two 6 volts = 12 volts. Less volts = quieter stereo.
Of course you could turn up the volume a little more, and hope your amp doesn't clip and/or overheat.
As for the cost savings, Mr. 77 (battery) Charger...an Optima will save money when you don't have to replace your interior from the acid release, and you don't have to replace the blown amps and speakers.
HH, I had 2 Yellow tops for a year for my stereo and on Froggy's advice went to 6v because the Optima's keepon dying. It was the best investment I every made. You've seen my stereo and I haven't clipped a amp or any other problems. They do last longer by far than the Optima's and when fully charged they are 13.7v.
Here is the problem with any high end big sound stereo's in boats. It doesn't what battery set up you have your altenator can't keep them charged period. I have to pull my boat out and charge 6v every night with a 60amp charger but it will run 6 hrs full blast no problems and the altenator isn't touching them in my set up. The best way to go these days is to do the generator deal, like Mbrown and others have done.

Havasu Hangin'
01-14-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by 77charger
And squares probably make more sound on less power..
Good god, man...you got those square subs, too? No wonder your brain is so messed up.
You know...if 4 sides are better...the 5 must be best!
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2003/158/l158L1290p5-f.jpeg
While yer spending money...I got some magic beans if ya want em.
Originally posted by BoatFloating
You've seen my stereo and I haven't clipped a amp or any other problems.
Those Sparkomatics were really cookin'!
The 6 volt trick really just increases your plate area- that can be done with any bank of batteries- series or parallel.
I just like picking on 77discharger cuz it's sooooo easy.

BoatFloating
01-14-2004, 08:27 PM
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2002/206/l2062S12l5-o.jpeg
touche!!!!!!
JL or go home!!!!

BoatFloating
01-14-2004, 08:30 PM
Those Sparkomatics were really cookin'!
The 6 volt trick really just increases your plate area- that can be done with any bank of batteries- series or parallel.
I just like picking on 77discharger cuz it's sooooo easy.
Tell the truth you just like picking and it doesn't matter with who!
By the way it's called Kraco X series Gold, Sparkomatic was so 80's man!

Havasu Hangin'
01-14-2004, 08:32 PM
It took you this long to figure that out?
BTW...where is "Famous Star Boat"...I need my grout cleaned.

BoatFloating
01-14-2004, 09:31 PM
It took you this long to figure that out?
BTW...where is "Famous Star Boat"...I need my grout cleaned.
he hides in the winter to work on getting as white as he can for the summer..:eek:

Coach
01-14-2004, 09:50 PM
I was talking to the guys who installed my stereo and they use Odysseys over Optimas. They use them in all of their competition cars. They felt they charged up faster with the Alternator and could run more charge cycles before going dead. I need to replace my batteries this season and still have not decided which battery I want to use. I don't pull my boat when I am at the river so I need an easy way to charge the battery when I am there. Right now I take the battery out of the boat and charge it on shore at night.
is to do the generator deal
What is the generator deal?
Another question I see discussed at length on other boards is battery isolators. They seem to be like the Perko switch without the switch. What do you guys know about them and is it worth looking into?
:confused:

mbrown2
01-14-2004, 10:00 PM
I went with the Odyssey's...they have nice capacity, charge quick, and are small and light..

BoatFloating
01-14-2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Coach
I was talking to the guys who installed my stereo and they use Odysseys over Optimas. They use them in all of their competition cars. They felt they charged up faster with the Alternator and could run more charge cycles before going dead. I need to replace my batteries this season and still have not decided which battery I want to use. I don't pull my boat when I am at the river so I need an easy way to charge the battery when I am there. Right now I take the battery out of the boat and charge it on shore at night.
What is the generator deal?
Another question I see discussed at length on other boards is battery isolators. They seem to be like the Perko switch without the switch. What do you guys know about them and is it worth looking into?
See competition cars again show up play load go home and charge on the drive home or with a charger. The boat is different, a 70 amp altenator can't charge 2 batteries buy running up and down the lake a few times. So you almost have to pull it out everytime and charge overnight. You don't drive the boat as much as a car.
The generator is a Honda 2000i hooked up to Xantec or other big amp charger and as you play your music when your sitting there it keeps your battery charged. I know a couple guys using the system with only 2 batteries and they swear by them. One is Mbrown here on the boards. Here is one in a 29' Carrera.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/372DSC01611a-med.jpg

Dr. Eagle
01-14-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Coach
I had 3 battery strings in my Eliminator. One battery for each engine and I had two 12v batteries strapped together with 4/0 Welding Cable for the accessories. I had a battery Isolator or more correctly a battery connector. When it has a minimum charge voltage the relay pulls in and connects the other battery to the starting string.
Worked good, unless you had been using the stereo hard all day and run down the accessory batteries pretty far. When the engine started and the alternator got the charge voltage up, the relay would kick in connecting the accessory batteries. Then it would open again really quickly because the low voltage drew down the voltage in the engine start battery enough that the relay opened. It would cycle open, close, open and so on so much it would not charge the battery.. So I installed a secondary manual switch to connect the engine battery to the accessory string. I could close the switch after starting the engine.

H2on22
01-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Taking Froggy's advice, I also used the 2- 6 volt Trojans and they are great. Plus I put in a Guest 2632 charger that's hooked up to shore power plug to the back of the boat so all I have to do is plug her in after a day of blasting the tunes and she's good to go in 6-7 hours. That charger also takes care of the 2 house batts as well. Great in the winter time...I plug it in fora week and then unplug it for a couple weeks. Here's the link...best investment if you like to play your tunes all day...who doesn't?
Dave's Marine (http://www.brokenlegdave.com/Manufacture/Guest/2632.htm)
By the way, Best price I found.

77charger
01-15-2004, 03:38 PM
By the way it's called Kraco X series Gold, Sparkomatic was so 80's man! I thought rampage was the top dog now:D

BOBALOO
01-15-2004, 08:15 PM
I also took Froggystyles advice on using the Trojans and what some of you are not taking into account is price. For the price of one of those competition batteries you can buy three trojans @ 55 bucks apiece. No question about it for me. I got 2 trojans wired in series going to one side of my perko and an interstate group 27 going to the other side. The last time at the sandbar I played the stereo for 4 hours at sandbar volume then drove to the channel and did another 4 hours at the same volume.
NO PROBLEM
I never had to use the interstate and the boat started as easily as always.
I had 3 amps pushing 10 speakers (old setup) needed to add a few more sets to keep up.
the race isn't won by horsepower, it's won by VOLUME :D

Coach
01-15-2004, 08:27 PM
Froggy or anyone else
do you still have the pics or the link to the stereo set up you posted here last year. I should be more specific the battery set up you posted last year. Thanx

BOBALOO
01-15-2004, 08:44 PM
Here is more info than you could ever want.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31352