PDA

View Full Version : Question: Looking for a deck/cat combo

NashvilleBound
01-14-2004, 05:56 PM
It looks like we have outgrown "Lady Luck". My 01 247 has been a killer ride but were moving on. I need a 27-29' cat, but I need deckboat style layout in the front, I need it to be able to go 15-18mph without porpoising( for wakeboarding), I want something that turns flat, the rest is easy. Is there such an animal? With the LA show coming up I need a heads up on what to look for and check out. I haven't seen a ***boat magazine for awhile so I have no idea whats available.
Thanks,
NB

jbtrailerjim
01-14-2004, 06:15 PM
I'd ask Keith Sayre on the boards here about the Conquest Top Cat deck boat he sell's. Also Dimarcobros just bought a new Conquest deck boat. I'm sure there will be plenty to look at the boat show. Lavey Craft is debuting there new 28' deck boat at the L.A. show. Magic & Eliminator also make a nice lookin deckboat. But in my opinion the Conquest is the best looking out of all of them.

Mandelon
01-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Yup. What he said! :D

NashvilleBound
01-14-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Well it's been around for 10+ years, but I'm still a huge fan of the Conquest. If I had a license plate that sais XXX Fun on an F350.. I'd like to think I'd own one. ;) :D
RD
LMAO.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Going to search for conquest boats right now....

NashvilleBound
01-14-2004, 06:59 PM
How can I possibly make any decisions with a website like that? Conquest needs to update for sure. Well, its a starting point. At least this year at the show I will have a mission. :yuk:

cola
01-14-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by NashvilleBound
It looks like we have outgrown "Lady Luck". My 01 247 has been a killer ride but were moving on. I need a 27-29' cat, but I need deckboat style layout in the front, I need it to be able to go 15-18mph without porpoising( for wakeboarding), I want something that turns flat, the rest is easy. Is there such an animal? With the LA show coming up I need a heads up on what to look for and check out. I haven't seen a ***boat magazine for awhile so I have no idea whats available.
Thanks,
NB
I know what you could do with the Whipple. Give me a call.
Late, Mike

OutCole'd
01-14-2004, 07:23 PM
How can I possibly make any decisions with a website like that? Conquest needs to update for sure. Well, its a starting point. At least this year at the show I will have a mission. :yuk:
Check out the Magic site. They have done a great job with it.
sleekcraft.com
Conquest does make an awsome boat, they really need to bring their site up to date.

CAPTROBBY
01-14-2004, 07:24 PM
I JUST ORDERD A NEW MAGIC, I HAVE DONE ALOT OF RESEARCH, AND MAGIC'S 28' DECK HAS EVERYTHING YOU COULD WANT IN A DECK/CAT...

BoatFloating
01-14-2004, 07:31 PM
I'll put my boat up against all the boats listed above any day of the week. Me and my friends wakeboarded behind it all the time. It throws a perfect wakeboard wake. Check this out (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3039)

Keith E. Sayre
01-14-2004, 09:58 PM
You boys aren't going to believe this but just this past week, the
decision was made to change the website completely!! Yes, it is
a bit overdue. I suppose I could say that we were so busy that
we hadn't had time to get to it since we were building so many
deckboats! Actually we build about 65 of them a year. Several
companies have bought copies of our molds and use some or all
of them. We think that we build the best quality deckboat on the
planet. we're a bit more money but we don't have problems
planing because we put the "X" exactly where it belongs. Our
boat will go 18 or 19 mph without losing plane so you can pull
wakeboarders and tubers. It turns flat or leans the right way
but never leans the wrong way. It never slides in a turn. It
Never porpoises! No trim tabs or dual prop setup needed on
a Conquest deckboat. We brag that we have the best service
after the sale of anyone on the west coast . We have the best
resale value of anyone on the west coast. It's the easiest boat in the world to drive, it's the easiest boat on the planet to put on
the trailer! Ok so we are a bit more money than the Magic and the Eliminator and we build twice as many deckboats as they do.
Our boats start at $80,000 with triple axle disc brake trailer and
all the good options. That would be a solid 60 to 62 mph boat.
I'll send you some price lists etc along with more photos if you'll
call me or email me with a phone number etc. etc . or a private
website.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City
928-680-1400

Boozer
01-14-2004, 10:09 PM
How will a deck do in the ocean as opposed to a standard 27-29' cat?

WhiteShadow
01-14-2004, 10:37 PM
keith, any idea when the conquest regatta will be held? any special pland for the regatta?

Froggystyle
01-15-2004, 12:30 AM
Thanks,
NB
Awwwwwwww.... no phone call??? :D
I have a line on a pretty killer 27' deckboat. ;)

Ivan Dan
01-15-2004, 01:43 AM
Nashville....just picked up this new bad boy
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1267New_Boat_001-med.jpg
its a 28' Magic Deckboat. I had a very hard time trying to choose between the Magic and the Conquest. Both boats have a few different features the other does not. The Magic is going to be about $5,000 to $10,000 cheaper depending on the options you go with and about 5-7 mph faster as well. I ultimately went with the Magic because I liked the deeper hull with more freeboard and overall I liked the look of the Magic the best of all the deckboats available. This is obviously personal preference so choose which one makes you happy. So far I love my new boat but I will be able to tell you more in the coming months. I did a ton of research so if you have any questions feel free to PM or e-mail me directly.
Take Care!
www.DanKaatz.com

Havaparty
01-15-2004, 06:02 AM
Twice as many boats a years as Magic. Keep dreamin Keith.

WhiteShadow
01-15-2004, 07:43 AM
what engine package did you go with and what gps #'s have you seen so far? thanks

Kahuna
01-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Aftershock has a new deck boat based on the '27 Violator. I think they have a deal for the first five out the door for in the 60K range. The drawing of the boat looks good so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

rivercrazy
01-15-2004, 09:26 AM
My .02 cents would also go toward Conquest.

mbrown2
01-15-2004, 09:32 AM
I like the lines of the Magic the best out of the deck boats.....it's all personal preference, but that's my .02...I would like to see the Lavey up close at the show though..

hot_diggity_dog
01-15-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by mbrown2
I like the lines of the Magic the best out of the deck boats.....it's all personal preference, but that's my .02...I would like to see the Lavey up close at the show though..
I'm kinda partial to the one I have, that's paid for!:) :p
Those two are really close for overall package, looks etc.
Also don't forget about the new Trident Custom Fo Shizzle Dizzle deck boat by Froggystyle;) :D
Hot (Comming out with my own Deck boat line in 2010) Diggity Dog:cool:

OutCole'd
01-15-2004, 09:46 AM
The interior layout of the New Conquest, and the Magic are the best way to go in my measly opinion. I like the two forward facing seating layouts.

gmocnik
01-15-2004, 09:55 AM
jeff...
we met at piru a year or so ago...i had the 25 daytona...hope all is well with you and your family......
just a comment on the wakeboard capabilities and a 27-28 cat....
my kids still like to wakeboard and to accomplish this on my 25, i needed to add some sponson tabs to really force the bow down at the low speeds needed to wakeboard. with the drive tucked all the way, and the tabs buried, i can roll over and plane at around 20 mph...17-18 mph would be a real struggle and i would have to see the 27-28 cat that could do this without tabs (unless the "x" is really low and compromising top end)...
magic...conquest...great boats....my friends have the magic...get test rides in both and make 'em drag you at 18 mph behind it....
look forward to seeing you this summer..
gary

Ivan Dan
01-15-2004, 10:29 AM
RD~
Where does the 5-7mph come from?
I think Keith can answer this question the best but from my knowledge its because Conquest adds about 300 lbs to the bottom when building the floor. From what I understand the bottoms are indentical because Magic bought the bottom from Conquest. The Magic with a 496HO see's 70mph and the Conquest with the same motor only see's about 63-65 mph. Keith do you have more insight on this?
And what things does the magic have that the conquest doesn't and vice versa?
The Magic is a deeper hull first off which gives better seating in the front area. The Magic has nicer hinges for the engine cover that are on the inside of the hatch where the Conquest's are on the outside and IMO not as nice. If you look down the side of the Magic the hull is very straight with no ripples like the Conquest. The Conquest has 3 bilge pumps that all pump the water out of the boat where the Magic has 3 bilges but only the middle one pumps the water out of the boat. The built in cooler on the Magic is quite a bit larger than the Conquest but the Conquests Top Cat II is located in a better position up in front of the passengers side area. Cup holders in the drivers area are placed better on the Magic IMO.
Both boats are killer and IMO the best out there by far. As I mentioned above I ended up choosing the Magic because I liked the deeper hull and the overall looks better.
www.DanKaatz.com

dimarcobros
01-15-2004, 10:45 AM
The Top Cat II is the way to go, once you take a ride in one you will agree. The duel helm makes the boat look 10 times better. Just my .02
Here are some pics of the one we just purchased that will be at the boat show.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/752Mvc-088s-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/752Mvc-091s-med.jpg
I have more on request. :D
DMB

OutCole'd
01-15-2004, 10:58 AM
DMB, That is one great looking boat. Congrats.

dimarcobros
01-15-2004, 11:14 AM
Thank you
DMB

bigq
01-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Where does the 5-7mph come from? And what things does the magic have that the conquest doesn't and vice versa?
RD
Don't know about the 5-7 MPH seems like a lot. The added weight from the construction is why Conquest is a little slower, but ride in both and the weight is worth it.Nothing wrong with the Magic, just shimmies more in the waves because the sponsons aren't connected from side to side.

bigq
01-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by bigq
Don't know about the 5-7 MPH seems like a lot. The added weight from the construction is why Conquest is a little slower, but ride in both and the weight is worth it.Nothing wrong with the Magic, just shimmies more in the waves because the sponsons aren't connected from side to side, the Magic sure has a nice profile, both are nice boats.

OutCole'd
01-15-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by bigq
Don't know about the 5-7 MPH seems like a lot. The added weight from the construction is why Conquest is a little slower, but ride in both and the weight is worth it.Nothing wrong with the Magic, just shimmies more in the waves because the sponsons aren't connected from side to side.
I was at Magic yesterday checking out the new Deck's, and the sponsons are tied together in the front with the bow swim platforrm, and a steel bar below it. I believe that would correct any movement of the sponsons.

BoatFloating
01-15-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Ivan Dan
RD~
I think Keith can answer this question the best but from my knowledge its because Conquest adds about 300 lbs to the bottom when building the floor. From what I understand the bottoms are indentical because Magic bought the bottom from Conquest. The Magic with a 496HO see's 70mph and the Conquest with the same motor only see's about 63-65 mph. Keith do you have more insight on this?
Hum!, same bottom but 5-7 miles an hour faster. During the summer neither one of those boats are seeing 70 mph on a stock 496 HO period
The Magic has nicer hinges for the engine cover that are on the inside of the hatch where the Conquest's are on the outside and IMO not as nice.
Why don't they use the Dana Hinges on either one best of both worlds. Or does Magic do use them?
The Conquest has 3 bilge pumps that all pump the water out of the boat where the Magic has 3 bilges but only the middle one pumps the water out of the boat.
That does not sound like a plus to me. If the center bilge pump takes a crap then what. I would want all the pumps pumping out of the boat not just to the center.
Both boats are killer and IMO the best out there by far. As I mentioned above I ended up choosing the Magic because I liked the deeper hull and the overall looks better.
They both are nice deck boats but the true running surface on the boat is 26' the other 2' come from the swim step.

OutCole'd
01-15-2004, 12:44 PM
Does anyone know how many times this Conquest Vs. Magic thing has been ran? It seems like at leat every 2 months.

bigq
01-15-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by OutCole'd
I was at Magic yesterday checking out the new Deck's, and the sponsons are tied together in the front with the bow swim platforrm, and a steel bar below it. I believe that would correct any movement of the sponsons.
uh....yyyeeeeaahhhhaaaaahhhh......no.:)

NashvilleBound
01-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Nashville....just picked up this new bad boy
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1267New_Boat_001-med.jpg
its a 28' Magic Deckboat. I had a very hard time trying to choose between the Magic and the Conquest. Both boats have a few different features the other does not. The Magic is going to be about $5,000 to $10,000 cheaper depending on the options you go with and about 5-7 mph faster as well. I ultimately went with the Magic because I liked the deeper hull with more freeboard and overall I liked the look of the Magic the best of all the deckboats available. This is obviously personal preference so choose which one makes you happy. So far I love my new boat but I will be able to tell you more in the coming months. I did a ton of research so if you have any questions feel free to PM or e-mail me directly.
Take Care!
I would like to see it in person and talk to you as well about your decision. I will be looking at ALL configurations at the show.
Looks like one sweet ride.
www.DanKaatz.com

bigq
01-15-2004, 02:08 PM
BTW, Boatfloating has a nice deck for sale at a great price to boot. I love his gauges and looks like a killer stereo.
Good Luck
Wayne<-----knows crap about stereos

NashvilleBound
01-15-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by gmocnik
jeff...
we met at piru a year or so ago...i had the 25 daytona...hope all is well with you and your family......
just a comment on the wakeboard capabilities and a 27-28 cat....
my kids still like to wakeboard and to accomplish this on my 25, i needed to add some sponson tabs to really force the bow down at the low speeds needed to wakeboard. with the drive tucked all the way, and the tabs buried, i can roll over and plane at around 20 mph...17-18 mph would be a real struggle and i would have to see the 27-28 cat that could do this without tabs (unless the "x" is really low and compromising top end)...
magic...conquest...great boats....my friends have the magic...get test rides in both and make 'em drag you at 18 mph behind it....
look forward to seeing you this summer..
gary
Hey gary, Thanks for the well wishs. Same to you. I am interested in that area too. I have now talked to FroggyStyle and Kieth and they both talk the talk.....well see what happens. The Boat show will be my first stop, then test drives thereafter.

NashvilleBound
01-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by dimarcobros
The Top Cat II is the way to go, once you take a ride in one you will agree. The duel helm makes the boat look 10 times better. Just my .02
Here are some pics of the one we just purchased that will be at the boat show.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/752Mvc-088s-med.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/752Mvc-091s-med.jpg
I have more on request. :D
DMB
That looks EXACTLY what I am looking for....layout wise. Much more sporty than the older layout. I will see it at the show for sure!

roln 20s
01-15-2004, 02:23 PM
The Magic with a 496HO see's 70mph and the Conquest with the same motor only see's about 63-65 mph.
Last year ***boat tested the Conquest with the 496HO and it ran 68+ mph. As it was stated, I don't think either of these are running 70+ during the summer. But, with what you get with the 496HO, 12 passenger 65+ mph boat has its benefits.
Both are really nice boats- I give my nods to Conquest.
Roln 20s

Ivan Dan
01-15-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
Hum!, same bottom but 5-7 miles an hour faster. During the summer neither one of those boats are seeing 70 mph on a stock 496 HO period
Ask Keith he will tell you the same thing!
Why don't they use the Dana Hinges on either one best of both worlds. Or does Magic do use them?
They can't fit the Dana hinges in when you put the steps on the side of the engine compartment they just won't fit from what I can tell.
That does not sound like a plus to me. If the center bilge pump takes a crap then what. I would want all the pumps pumping out of the boat not just to the center.
I never said this was a plus for Magic. I said it was something that was different about the two. Magic believes that you don't want 3 holes coming out of the boat for bilges and that pumping into the center sponson and then out from there is the best way. Both companies believe their way is the best so you take that how you wish.
They both are nice deck boats but the true running surface on the boat is 26' the other 2' come from the swim step.
Who cares? Everyone does this? The bottom line is both boats are nice and both have positives and negatives in some of the features. Everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it. I personally think that the Magic is by far the best deckboat out there for the money.

NashvilleBound
01-15-2004, 02:31 PM
This is great....I caused all this drama and its giving me tons of info. Keep up the great work guys:D :D :D :D

OutCole'd
01-15-2004, 02:32 PM
This is great....I caused all this drama and its giving me tons of info. Keep up the great work guys:D :D :D :D
I hope you are proud of yourself.:D

NashvilleBound
01-15-2004, 02:40 PM
LOL.... Drama seems to be my specialty:wink:

STGP
01-15-2004, 02:44 PM
Ok, my .02 I chose the Magic for the same reasons that IvanDan stated, looks, freeboard, and the seating arrangement (two forward faceing seats, and much more comfortable seating in the bow). The new Conquest 11's seating looks sweet. When I took delivery in May of last year I got 68 on the speedo with no gear and 3 guys easily on a non-broken in 496HO engine with a 22 prop so I think 70 under perfect conditions is possible. In the summer with the same set up the best I could do was 64. All in all they are both KILLER boats and I am sure that you would be very pleased with either of them.
Have fun shopping!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/598P1010081-med.JPG

Ivan Dan
01-15-2004, 02:50 PM
STGP I took mine on LH this past Saturday when I picked it up and Casey from Magic went out with us to test everything. We got 68 on the tattle tale GPS with half tanks, 5 people and didn't mess with the trim much either. I'm sure we could see 70 pretty easily with the cooler weather. So 65 in the summer is pretty realistic I think.
Bill~ How is everything coming along? Did they start on it yet?
www.DanKaatz.com

NashvilleBound
01-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by STGP
Ok, my .02 I chose the Magic for the same reasons that IvanDan stated, looks, freeboard, and the seating arrangement (two forward faceing seats, and much more comfortable seating in the bow). The new Conquest 11's seating looks sweet. When I took delivery in May of last year I got 68 on the speedo with no gear and 3 guys easily on a non-broken in 496HO engine with a 22 prop so I think 70 under perfect conditions is possible. In the summer with the same set up the best I could do was 64. All in all they are both KILLER boats and I am sure that you would be very pleased with either of them.
Have fun shopping!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/598P1010081-med.JPG
It will be fun shopping but time is limited. Glad the show is coming up. I will be running a Gary Teague WhippleCharged 540.
Thats the only given to this whole deal. Hopefully it will give me some good performance.

OutCole'd
01-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Bill~ How is everything coming along? Did they start on it yet?
www.DanKaatz.com
Did you get the PM's

Ivan Dan
01-15-2004, 03:04 PM
YA just wondering how your trip up to Havasu went. Just sent ya a PM.
www.DanKaatz.com

STGP
01-15-2004, 03:05 PM
NasvilleBound, one more thing. The bottoms of the Conquest, Magic, and Eliminator are almost identical. this bottom design is proven over time to be an outstanding design. I kept my choices to these three because of this fact. I am not saying that the new Lavey or others are not excellent either just not proven over time. This was important to me and I just thought that I'd mention it again.

BoatFloating
01-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Who cares? Everyone does this? The bottom line is both boats are nice and both have positives and negatives in some of the features. Everyone has their own opinion and is entitled to it. I personally think that the Magic is by far the best deckboat out there for the money.
I for one don't like this, it misleads alot of buyers. Not everyone does it. To be able to do it you have to have a built in swim step.
Don't get me wrong they both are nice boats and I would own either one. I just like people to stick to the facts and experience, and I'm not saying you aren't. The boat tests are such b.s. it makes me laugh and if you think you'll run those numbers with a full crew in the dead of summer then you'll be disappointed. That's all I'm saying.

Ivan Dan
01-15-2004, 03:29 PM
STGP I took mine on LH this past Saturday when I picked it up and Casey from Magic went out with us to test everything. We got 68 on the tattle tale GPS with half tanks, 5 people and didn't mess with the trim much either. I'm sure we could see 70 pretty easily with the cooler weather. So 65 in the summer is pretty realistic I think.
www.DanKaatz.com
BoatFloating~ I might be new to owning a deckboat but I'm definitely not new to the whole boating/river thing. And I am by no means naive. I know the boat will do 70 at peak times and not on a 120 deg. summer day. I don't expect to load the thing with 10 people and full tanks and run 70.