PDA

View Full Version : boat being painted what do you think so far?

502procharger
01-14-2004, 08:22 PM
ok so i got the flames painted today, yes the black is just base with base clear but wetsanded so it is dull, but once i put 4 coats of clear on it it will shine shine shine. now is the time to make changes or adjustments before i clear it so feel free to give me some ideas or advise. i realize everyones tast is different but i am happy with the way it looks so far
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1DSC00658.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1DSC00655.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1DSC00665.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1DSC00685.JPG

mirvin
01-14-2004, 08:24 PM
Now those are flames:D They look very tight. Glad you went traditional. ;)

Dr. Eagle
01-14-2004, 08:25 PM
Looks to me like lots of people will be jealous of that paint job when you are finished....;)
It looks hella cool!

mmered8299
01-14-2004, 08:25 PM
I like skulls. One in the middle "face on" and then one on each side looking foward!

Mandelon
01-14-2004, 08:32 PM
So far so good. I kinda like the little wispy flames that are disconnected from the rest...I don't know how to explain it, but you probably know what I mean. Like the flame tails you have but not connected.....like they are blowing away....
Black will be a bitch to keep the spots off of.....but looking good!

likwidsukr
01-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Nothing better than Black and white flames......Super Cool.......http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3484Iron_Flames.jpg

502procharger
01-14-2004, 08:35 PM
nice looking bike, black with white looks great. too bad i chose silver polly for my flames, lol:D

HotRod Sprint
01-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Looks good so far. Surprised you didn't go with the real flame look.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1232fire_truck-med.jpg
That would have looked Totally BAD on yours.
Rod

likwidsukr
01-14-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by 502procharger
nice looking bike, black with white looks great. too bad i chose silver polly for my flames, lol:D
My bad looks like white frome here. I guess it will still be ok:D :D

502procharger
01-14-2004, 08:49 PM
i was really not going for the fire look, more the whisping traditional flamework. that boat with "fire" flames is phat but not what i was looking for.

phebus
01-14-2004, 08:53 PM
I like the way you transition to the reverse flames in the stern. Nice. :D

TheLurker
01-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by phebus
I like the way you transition to the reverse flames in the stern. Nice. :D
Was going to say the same but Phebus beat me to it. Did you wind up hireing someone to tape off the flames or did you do it yourself?
Awsome job! That boat will really look great both on the water and trailer:)

502procharger
01-14-2004, 09:02 PM
lurker, i used vinal paint mask on some of it and fine-line taped the rest myself. it took a while but i am happy. thanks for all the nice comments, can't wait to get the clear on it.

TheLurker
01-14-2004, 09:09 PM
Once again GREAT JOB. I have to give you guys with talent to do that a lot of respect!

TRG
01-14-2004, 09:21 PM
i like how you kept the graphic flowing to the inside of the sponsons, why do boat co.s' always draw a line of completion, at an almost vertical drop on the inside? but anyways...B.E.A.utiful!!
i just watched "bruce almighty" f@#%ing helarious!! todd

mbrown2
01-14-2004, 09:24 PM
Flames look great, but that black is going to be a bitch to keep clean...also going to hot....but it looks like it is going to come out trick...

502procharger
01-14-2004, 09:32 PM
mbrown2
black is going to get hot for sure but it is not my everyday boat so it should be ok. i wanted black because you do not see many black boats(prob for the reasons you stated) but when you do they look great. thanks for the kind words

502procharger
01-14-2004, 10:21 PM
toodnjuzz
i know what you mean. i see a lot of jobs that just stop with a st line. that looks unfinnished to me. that is why i tied it together all the way around. thanks for the kind words

boatnam2
01-14-2004, 10:23 PM
isnt it going to have a jet motor?paint looks great!

HighRoller
01-14-2004, 10:25 PM
I like the way you transition to the reverse flames in the stern. Nice.
Yeah, but I wonder if Charley and Tobtek will like it! My one suggestion would be that at the end of each flame length you take a small brush and extend the tail with a hairline that comes to a point. They look good but end just a tiny bit too quickly.

502procharger
01-14-2004, 10:29 PM
right now it is rigged with 4 2.5 efi offshores. i do hve 2 t53-13 1350hp turbines and drop gear boxes i was waiting to put in. i have not decided it i am going to use them in this boat or sell this one and look for what i really want 32 skater. i guess we will have to wait and see. i still need to find a pair of 6 drives and trans. as well as fabricate the n2 brake for the turbine so i can shift them in and out of gear. the cost on the 6 drives is holding me back from rushing to much. i am just collecting all the pieces slowly

502procharger
01-14-2004, 10:33 PM
highroller
i hope charly and tobtec are not mad. i looked at thousands of boat pictures. my flames are totaly diff. from charlies design and i dont even know what tobtec's boat looks like. i likes the pos and ned idea but i saw it on a bunch of boats on a florida boating site as well as magizines. i really tried to not copy anyones boat, just take little ideas from everyones i liked:( i hope i did not piss anyone off:(
charley even sent me some pictures to get some ideas on how to tie the sponsons in with the top.

BoatinJoe
01-14-2004, 10:39 PM
Looks great. Personally I like a lot tighter longer flames. :cool:

moneysucker
01-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Quote: black is going to get hot for sure but it is not my everyday boat so it should be ok. i wanted black because you do not see many black boats(prob for the reasons you stated) but when you do they look great.
I have a black boat and yes it gets hotter than hell but it is so funny watching when people touch it either on purpose or accident. You just have to splash water on where ever you hold the boat. As for the water spots, invest in Wax as you dry spray wax. I use either Rain-X or Eagle 1 brand.

502procharger
01-14-2004, 10:59 PM
moneysucker
post a picture of your boat either here or on hotboatpics.com. i would love to see it

moneysucker
01-14-2004, 11:00 PM
Oops, The paint job looks great. Better hurry, the season is coming soon.

TOBTEK
01-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by 502procharger
highroller
i hope charly and tobtec are not mad. i looked at thousands of boat pictures. my flames are totaly diff. from charlies design and i dont even know what tobtec's boat looks like. i likes the pos and ned idea but i saw it on a bunch of boats on a florida boating site as well as magizines. i really tried to not copy anyones boat, just take little ideas from everyones i liked:( i hope i did not piss anyone off:(
charley even sent me some pictures to get some ideas on how to tie the sponsons in with the top.
I hear those "reverse flame" designs are really good looking;) . I wonder if I copyright the new boats design I can make a few bucks in the process..hehehehe
Kinda a lot of work isnt it 502. It allways cracks me up when you quote a paint job, and the people have no idea how much time and money it takes to do it correctly:rolleyes: How much do you estimate just the paint and supplies are going to cost to do something that large? Id love to go off on a old MACH26 hull.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/523/135riverpic_019-med.jpg

502procharger
01-15-2004, 11:01 AM
tobtek, vey nice looking boat. i have seen it before in one of the treads i think. as far as materials go, well lets just say i have used $250.00 in just masking tape:D i have a buddy that runs a store that sells ppg stuff so i get everything at cost or free thank god. the time is what is killing me. by the time you do the body work, fix stress cracks and such, grind that, fill prime that, sand the fill primer, add more primer, sand that, epoxy prime, wet sand that, base coat, base clear, wet sand that, 2 coats of clear, wet sand that, 2 mor coats of clear, wetsand and buff that, mask each area several time inbetween all these steps. holly shit, you know the deal it goes on and on. it is not like painting a car i will tell you that. the prices you quote people are probably more than fair. after doing this i would never question a high cost to paint a boat of this size. what a bitch.:(

502procharger
01-15-2004, 03:03 PM
anyone know if there is a point where you have to much clear on and if so where is that point on a boat.

Jbb
01-15-2004, 05:35 PM
when it sinks from the excess weight ......too much...:D ...Flames look great!

Forkin' Crazy
01-15-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by JETBOAT BRIAN
when it sinks from the excess weight ......too much...:D ...Flames look great!
LMAO! Nice paint! Which PPG clear are you going to use?