PDA

View Full Version : Box Anchor

dimarcobros
01-16-2004, 01:19 PM
Where can I get one and what size do I need?
We have a 28' Conquest Deckboat.
Thanks in advance,
DMB

Mrs. Bordsmnj
01-16-2004, 01:21 PM
Get it at the boat show next week.
:D

RJ Nordic
01-16-2004, 01:23 PM
I got the "Big" one for my 28'. You can most likely purchase one at the LA Boat show starting next Saturday.
Otherwise West Marine had them or order through Hot Boat mag. There is a web site but I misplaced the address.:(
You do want/need one.:eek!:

dimarcobros
01-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Good idea, I forgot they would ahve them at the boat show.
DMB

rivercrazy
01-16-2004, 01:29 PM
I have a medium one for a 4300 pound 25' deep V. It holds fine. In fact, I've had a number of boats tied up at the same time in wind and current.
I got a great deal on it at the LA boat show. Buy the anchor and sandspike at the same time

Havasu_Dreamin
01-16-2004, 01:38 PM
At the boat show or at Slide Anchor (http://www.slideanchor.com)

Scream
01-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Are the box anchors really all that? I'm used to camping at Moabe and using a homade steel anchor that weighs about 40#. Boat never moves with that piece o real estate stuck to it.
If I can get away from hauling that gas waster around, that'd be great.
Any advice?

SoCalOffshore
01-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Boat Show and the Medium is fine, the Large on my 32 is overkill.

rivercrazy
01-16-2004, 01:50 PM
What sized boat do you have Scream? I think the small box anchor weighs about 15-20 pounds and the medium probably weighs 25 or so.
In my experience they are the best anchor out there. Its drop it where you want it and forget it (especially in sand)! No backing down, etc....

Scream
01-16-2004, 01:55 PM
rivercrazy,
Just bought a 26' Kachina. don't have it yet, but I get to visit it at the Phoenix boat show this weekend... Leavin tonight for the trip, been lookin forward to this day like a congical visit...
Matt

rivercrazy
01-16-2004, 01:59 PM
Congrats on the new boat. I think I saw pics of it over at RiverRacerX. Nice ride!
Get the medium one. I think our boats are pretty similarly sized.

Scream
01-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Thanks. I don't know about River Racer X, but here's one you've probably seen on another thread.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/1271boat_side-thumb.jpg
this is just out of paint, w/o rigging.My avatar is the dashboard.
Kachina 26's boat will be in the show, too, so I may be able to meet him there.
I'll check those anchors out at the show, maybe even save a few duckets.
Matt

BADBLOWN572
01-16-2004, 02:32 PM
I have the medium box anchor and it is awesome. I have anchored my boat on a rough day at Mojave with it and it held like a champ! The thing that I really like about the box anchor is that you do not need to have the required 10+ feet of chain. It makes it so simple to use. Just remove it from the bag, unfold it, and throw it. Simple.

rivercrazy
01-16-2004, 02:32 PM
I was confusing your 26' Kachina with someone that recently had one completed. Sorry about that....
Nice graphics!:D

BadassBry
01-16-2004, 02:34 PM
West Marine in Torrance has them. Thats where where we bought ours....

Scream
01-16-2004, 02:37 PM
You could see that pic? I'm blind.
that's good info re the box anchor at Mohave (been there during a full gale). A friend made my current one for a Lake Powell trip after we bought our fist "new" boat in 97. Like I said, it's so heavy, nothing will move the boat.
Not having a chain is going to save my paint, I can tell already.
Thanks for the info folks.
Matt

gigamurph
01-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Not to mention too, that they usually offer a discount on them at the boat show! I've only got the medium and it is waaaaay more than needed for my 17' dinghy! But have had three other boats tied to it simultaneously as well, and it held like a champ! Like someone said also; it's great how "compact" and easy it is to use.:)

dimarcobros
01-16-2004, 02:57 PM
How much do they normally go for?
DMB

BADBLOWN572
01-16-2004, 03:00 PM
I got mine a couple of years ago for about $110 or so. More pricey than a std anchor but well worth the $ for the peace of mind knowing that if you leave for an hour or so, your boat will still be there when you get back.

Rod-64
01-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by dimarcobros
DMB
Mine was 126 at West Marine in Havasu.
WARNING!!!!!!!!!!! PUT IT AWAY WHEN NOT IN USE!!!!
Mine was out when I slippid while docking and fell ass first on it. I think I woke up all of Black Meadow Landing yelling foul obsenities.:D
Those spikes don't play..........was bruised for a week,

Rod-64
01-16-2004, 03:04 PM
My price included the 100' line.
Sold seprateley

AquaBoogie
01-16-2004, 03:10 PM
I called them Mon. and they said they will have a few booths set up at the boat show.
I also ordered the Anchor Buddy (elastic rope) to use with the box anchor. They should work together like a charm.

1stepcloser
01-16-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by dimarcobros
The small retails for $119.95
Large retails for $149.95
X-Large retails for $219.95
They were selling the small ones at the boat show last year for $100.00
The large for $125.00

phebus
01-16-2004, 03:22 PM
Usually at the boat shows, they have a package deal with the sand spike dealio. The Anchor Buddy (stretchy anchor line) is also real nice because it takes the shock of the wind gusts, and doesn't transfer it to your anchor. Just be carefull with the Anchor Buddy if you are using it while anchored near other boats. Unless they are using one also, it allows your boat to swing, while as long as there anchor holds, they are stationary, and you might bump.

mtndewdrops
01-16-2004, 08:12 PM
I would not recommend the Slide Anchor Sand Spike...Mine broke the second time I used it. The washer on the bottom broke off at the weld when I was pounding it back out..:mad: Ziggy bought a bitchin one that is stainless steel, I think it was probably worth the extra $$$.

El Chingon
01-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by mtndewdrops
I would not recommend the Slide Anchor Sand Spike...Mine broke the second time I used it.
I used mine all last year with no problems on a 29' Magic.

Dr. Eagle
01-16-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by El Chingon
I used mine all last year with no problems on a 29' Magic.
I've had mine for 3 years, no complaints either.....

Faster Daddy
01-16-2004, 10:46 PM
I would not recommend the Slide Anchor Sand Spike...Mine broke the second time I used it. The washer on the bottom broke off at the weld when I was pounding it back out..:mad:
WTF are you like the hulk? :confused: Hope I never piss you off. I love my slide and box anchor, makes for a hassel free weekend. You got to be a real string sumofabitch to break one I think. :D

WILD LAVEY
01-16-2004, 11:29 PM
I would not recommend the Slide Anchor Sand Spike...Mine broke the second time I used it. The washer on the bottom broke off at the weld when I was pounding it back out..:mad: Ziggy bought a bitchin one that is stainless steel, I think it was probably worth the extra $$$.
this is the first time ive heard anyone complain about the box anchor. my only bitch is, it works to well. :D :cool:

rivercrazy
01-17-2004, 11:45 AM
I've had two different sized sand spikes for many years. They are both still like new. No problems with any of them.

Rod-64
01-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Rod-64
Mine was 126 at West Marine in Havasu.
WARNING!!!!!!!!!!! PUT IT AWAY WHEN NOT IN USE!!!!
Mine was out when I slippid while docking and fell ass first on it. I think I woke up all of Black Meadow Landing yelling foul obsenities.:D
Those spikes don't play..........was bruised for a week,
Bump on this warning!!!!!!:D

Dr. Eagle
01-17-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Rod-64
Bump on this warning!!!!!!:D
Having had several boating mishaps over the years myself, I can only imagine how much this must have hurt....
But the warning is definitely taken.
:(

LAVEYSABRE575
01-17-2004, 12:59 PM
i love box......opps im sorry, i mean i love my box anchor one throw and your done make sure you let go of it.....

phuggit
01-18-2004, 02:10 AM
They are by far the best anchor I've used. No matter how it hits the sand/grass/rocks it will hold. My only complaint is the cheap sob's that steal em at the sand bar when your not watchin.
My suggestion is paint the thing bright orange, like the paint surveyors use, and that way you can see the peep carrying the anchor away. My .02 cents.
Sorry, it's still a sore subject...I'm getting therapy though.

Kachina26
01-18-2004, 04:43 PM
I just picked up mine at the PHX boat show, I saw Matt (It's a Scream) walking out of the show with his too. They had a package deal going, I got the medium box, medium slide and bags for both for 220 tax and all. The box comes with a bag but a bag for the slide is usually 13 bucks. They're not too heavy unless you carry it a couple of blocks! I hope they are all they're cracked up to be, last summer was the most frustrating I've ever had anchor wise.

Dr. Eagle
01-18-2004, 04:49 PM
Yes, you will love the anchor. never had one work anything like it. Kept my 30 footer in the same place all week at Havasu, wind and all.