PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Pics Gone Bad

Kahuna
01-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Here is the picture of my new boat taken a week ago last Saturday and then this last Saturday. I had to go down to the factory again today and tell them to fix it. What I told them is that it looked like shit. The reason they redid the paint in the first place was they said it had splatter in the paint job and the resulting paint job is what they did to fix the mistake. I can't believe that someone actually thought this was a gentle fade from yellow to orange to red. Lets see if they fix it because I don't know what my options are if it still looks like crap. If I had not already given them a small down I would walk right now.
How bad does the second picture look?
One week ago
http://www.parkermitch.com/racepass/pics/640/myboatgood.jpg
Last Sat. after they so-called fix it.
http://www.parkermitch.com/racepass/pics/640/myboatbad.jpg

hd&boatrider
01-19-2004, 03:19 PM
What boat mfr is it?

BUSTI
01-19-2004, 03:19 PM
I like the colors but that is not a gradual or very subtle fade on the second photo.

LAVEYSABRE575
01-19-2004, 03:27 PM
i think thats a kachina im not sure but i think they paint all there boats...

Kahuna
Yes they did do the gel coat and paint in the mold but they said that it came out with splatter. I did notice some over spay in the front where there the cleat would mount but it was not that bad. I don't want to tell the maker yet, they may redeem themselves.

al cole'holic
I remember that happened on a 25 Cole one time, he put it in the Trader and sold it as a blank hull for a good price and disclaimed the slight problem and had to start again for the customer. That is a horrible looking fix....:(

OGShocker
01-19-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Kahuna
Here is the picture of my new boat taken a week ago last Saturday and then this last Saturday. I had to go down to the factory again today and tell them to fix it. What I told them is that it looked like shit. The reason they redid the paint in the first place was they said it had splatter in the paint job and the resulting paint job is what they did to fix the mistake. I can't believe that someone actually thought this was a gentle fade from yellow to orange to red. Lets see if they fix it because I don't know what my options are if it still looks like crap. If I had not already given them a small down I would walk right now.
How bad does the second picture look?
One week ago
http://www.parkermitch.com/racepass/pics/640/myboatgood.jpg
Last Sat. after they so-called fix it.
http://www.parkermitch.com/racepass/pics/640/myboatbad.jpg
HOLY COW! Sorry for your problems... Boat buying should not be a hard thing!

waterndog
01-19-2004, 03:36 PM
Wow thats not looking to good. Hope they get you fixed up right.
It doesn't even look like they use the same colors ?

Infomaniac
01-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Tell them it is unacceptable and you will wait while the build you another one.
The sooner you get started the sooner you will have your boat.
They can sell that one.

Lightning
01-19-2004, 03:42 PM
If that's a fade, then I have an afro. That's ****ed up.

bear down
01-19-2004, 03:45 PM
Ouch!. Just be careful that the surface is clean and smooth if it's fixed. I can't imagine it being as flawlessly fixed as it would be out of the mold. I would contact Havasu Barney and have him take a look at the pic's so he can give you some info. on what to expect and what to look for and whether they can even fix that large of a problem.
Good Luck!

fourspeednup
01-19-2004, 03:54 PM
I think they sent you the wrong pic. They probably hadn't sprayed the orange colors in between yet. Different painters have different ways of completing the job. I just have a hard time believing any manufacturer would release anything like that for other people to see. At least I hope not. :yuk:

OutCole'd
01-19-2004, 04:04 PM
I did not know Earl Schieb painted boats.
I'll paint any boat $29.95

Kachina26
01-19-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by LAVEYSABRE575
i think thats a kachina im not sure but i think they paint all there boats... It doesn't look like a Kachina or their shop for that matter. They Gel designs like that one and paint the mural looking things. We thought maybe ours wasn't what we were expecting so we went and looked in person. It was much better than photos showed. I'm glad because I didn't want to have mine "fixed" like that one, besides I don't know how you would go about fixing gel on a new boat and have it look right.

HammerDown
01-19-2004, 04:19 PM
That's messed up.. I could of done better with a can of Krylon.

CEO
01-19-2004, 04:39 PM
I hope they can get it to your specifications, if not tell them to start over. I wanted to go to with a fade from blue to a orange or yellow, but DCB told me up front they may be a problem of getting a brownish color, so I took Daves advice and stayed one main color and fade it
I hope this works
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37514

jbtrailerjim
01-19-2004, 04:42 PM
Sorry about your problem. I would make them build you a new boat or give you your money back. When I bought my Ultra, John told me he would build me a new boat if I was not happy with it after it came out of the mold.
BTW.........I recognize the shop in the background but I won't say who the builder is. I'll leave that up to you if you wanna reveal the builder. Hope they make it right for you. Good luck.

Jbb
01-19-2004, 04:47 PM
Paint over gel is putting you in a bad position from the start....Gelcoat starts fading from the first day in the sun ...Paint does not ...there is some potential for a real problem here ...Also paint is not nearly as tough as the gel finish you paid for when it comes to dock rash and sandy feet ...If I had to accept the job with paint repair, I would insist they sand the entire thing ...seal it and paint the flames and fades completely down the side .....

mbrown2
01-19-2004, 04:54 PM
If that second pic is the fix, then it is not a solution....have them build you a new one...

RandyH
01-19-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
Sorry about your problem. I would make them build you a new boat or give you your money back. When I bought my Ultra, John told me he would build me a new boat if I was not happy with it after it came out of the mold.
I will attest to that. When I went out to look at my Ultra these ladies brought in their new 21 that day. The boat looked awesome but they thought the 1/8 inch pin strip was slightly the wrong color between the main colors of the gel. John took the boat back and told them he would start another one. Took it back right on the spot. He needed some inventory anyway but Holy Cow. Talk about standing behind his word.
Good luck, I hope they work with you on it.
RandyH

Kahuna
01-19-2004, 05:44 PM
I asked them if they could do a fade and they said yes. If they would have said fades are tricky I would have come up with something else. But if they do get the fade right it should be ok, they spray the same thickness of gellcoat as they would if it was in the mold and when the sun fades in with age it should fade even because it has not see hardly any sun yet.

UnionJack
01-19-2004, 05:50 PM
Some boat company's just plain suck.... they are to fly by night

LASERRAY
01-19-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by OutCole'd
I did not know Earl Schieb painted boats.
I'll paint any boat $29.95 Lol!:D That's some cold shit bro!:D

boatnam2
01-19-2004, 06:00 PM
i had a few tiny tiny spots when i picked up my lavey and was going to ask to have them fixed.most people would of even noticed but i did.i was told if its in teh fade of teh gel there is not really nothing they can do.boy does that pic prove that.if the pics looks like what it looks like in person i feel for ya man that is just plain ****ed up.looks like some low rider tagged it with a can of spray paint.

OutCole'd
01-19-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Lol!:D That's some cold shit bro!:D
I did not mean for it to sound that bad.:D

Checkmate
01-19-2004, 07:18 PM
It looks okay, but it looked 10 times better in the first pic.

OGShocker
01-19-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Checkmate
It looks okay, but it looked 10 times better in the first pic. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LAVEYSABRE575
01-19-2004, 07:31 PM
kahuna if they spray gel on the surface you will feel a ridge period. If it was me i would say pass on this boat and if they wont start a new one i would ask for my dead presidents back you never received tangible merchandise you have the power regardless of what they say HAMMER TIME......

Kahuna
01-20-2004, 07:53 AM
This whole thing has put a real crapper on this week. I am going to have to drive out to Riverside a few times this week just to check up on the paint job.

OGShocker
01-20-2004, 08:00 AM
This whole thing has put a real crapper on this week. I am going to have to drive out to Riverside a few times this week just to check up on the paint job.
DO NOT ACCEPT this boat.!!
Tell whom ever to paint this one white and get to work on your next boat. If that does not work get your money back and find a boat builder who will help you not f**k you around!
You never did tell us who the builder was. Presure from this site helps a lot!

jbtrailerjim
01-20-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by OGShocker
You never did tell us who the builder was. Presure from this site helps a lot! [/B] quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am going to have to drive out to Riverside a few times this week just to check up on the paint job.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think most of you can figure out who the builder is by reading where he is driving too to check on the boat. I only know of one builder who builds boat's in Riverside.
Kahuna,
I agree with OGShocker. Do not accept this boat. Tell them to either build you a new one or give you your deposit back and go somewhere else.

Steamin' Rice
01-20-2004, 09:46 AM
Wow!! That's a different look for a "fade" for sure!! I hope that you get things worked out with your builder...
Most people can figure out who the builder is by doing a simple search, so hopefully they make things right for you.. Good luck!!

superdave013
01-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by LAVEYSABRE575
kahuna if they spray gel on the surface you will feel a ridge period. If it was me i would say pass on this boat and if they wont start a new one i would ask for my dead presidents back you never received tangible merchandise you have the power regardless of what they say HAMMER TIME......
I agree, a slight ridge might be ok when you get your 25 year old boat re-geled but not on a brand new one.

Outnumbered
01-20-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
quote:
I am going to have to drive out to Riverside a few times this week just to check up on the paint job.
I think most of you can figure out who the builder is by reading where he is driving too to check on the boat. I only know of one builder who builds boat's in Riverside.
What is the big secret. I think people should know what is going on so this shit doesn't happen to them. I feel for ya Kahuna, when I buy my first new boat it better be perfect because those things are not cheap. Just tell us who the builder is and if they make it right then they can save their reputation. I don't think it will make em look bad if they handle it right.
OL

Dr. Eagle
01-20-2004, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Steamin' Rice
Wow!! That's a different look for a "fade" for sure!!
Kinda reminds me of one of those multi flavored popcycles. Maybe the start of a new trend?
Nahhhh that'd end up in the dust bin like the Seafoam teal and Bubble Gum Pink...

CARRERA
01-20-2004, 04:29 PM
I had the same thing on my boat

MagicMtnDan
01-20-2004, 05:51 PM
I'll bet it's not a Kachina. They know how to paint and a fade is routine for them (they do some amazing paintwork).
That's a fugly fade and if it ain't what you want or what you're happy with (and it's not what they said they'd give you) then I say don't take it!
Next!

LAVEYSABRE575
01-26-2004, 02:45 PM
GUESSING .......................... CALIBER

502procharger
01-26-2004, 02:58 PM
pics are gone, i want to see. anyone have them?

Dribble
01-26-2004, 03:00 PM
What's interesting is that this post is about a week old. There were were some accurate guesses as to the builder on the original thread (a major ***boat advertiser) but they seem to have been deleted. I thought they resolved the problem by agreeing to lay up a new boat.
And it's not Caliber

Kahuna
01-26-2004, 03:08 PM
The boat builder is laying up a new hull right now so the boat should be done in a few weeks. They gave my no problems with doing a new hull. I said it looked like shit and they said we will build you a new one. The problem with the fade was that they did not use enough color. They went from RED to Orange to Yellow. They needed to go RED to Orange to Tangerine to Yellow To Canary Yellow. Also gelcoat Orange is more of a Red and Tangerine is really Orange.

BGMAN203
01-26-2004, 03:12 PM
I JUST GET RED X'S

LAVEYSABRE575
01-26-2004, 03:14 PM
THATS GREAT NEWS KAHUNA. WHOS THE BUILDER, STAND UP COMPANY TO TAKE CARE OF YOU LIKE THAT,THEY DID THE RIGHT THING.....

mbrown2
01-26-2004, 03:26 PM
The boat builder is laying up a new hull right now so the boat should be done in a few weeks. They gave my no problems with doing a new hull. I said it looked like shit and they said we will build you a new one. The problem with the fade was that they did not use enough color. They went from RED to Orange to Yellow. They needed to go RED to Orange to Tangerine to Yellow To Canary Yellow. Also gelcoat Orange is more of a Red and Tangerine is really Orange.
That's great news that they stood up and corrected the issue...a little positive marketing never hurt any boat maker...

Kahuna
01-26-2004, 03:30 PM
The builder is Aftershock. The parent company I believe is West Coast Tooling, they do fiberglass work for a few boat companies. They build Carrera boats in the same shop now since the two companies have merged. They do all their work in house and the owner is always in the shop getting his hands dirty. Except for the fade I have had no problems with them.

Dribble
01-26-2004, 03:55 PM
My last boat was laid up by West Coast Tooling. It's now five years old with about 200 hours and is still as solid as a floating rock. No complaints from me or the current owner.