PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Phoenix

89checkmate
01-19-2004, 09:38 PM
We are thinking about moving to the Phoenix area. What are the best areas to look for descent homes?
Thanks

MagicMtnDan
01-19-2004, 09:42 PM
I would imagine descent homes would have to be in the higher elevations :D (sarcastic response)
de·scent ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-snt) n.
The act or an instance of descending.
A way down.
A downward incline or passage; a slope.

fourspeednup
01-19-2004, 09:42 PM
My sis and bro-in-law lived in Glendale (not far from lake pleasant)for some time. Now in Scottsdale. Both are very nice places. Don't move to Tempe unless you're ready to party with us rowdy college kiddies.:D

Dr. Eagle
01-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by 89checkmate
descent homes?
Thanks
So do you have to Rapel into those type of homes???

LASERRAY
01-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Ask Jordy. He's a Zonian.

Outnumbered
01-19-2004, 10:48 PM
Just bought a house there. Check out this thread:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21807
OL

Outnumbered
01-19-2004, 10:50 PM
And this one:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38664
We bought our house in the Glendale/Peoria area. Near Arrowhead Towne center about 10 minutes from Lake Pleasant. Its a very nice and clean area and still not too expensive by CA standards.
OL

roln 20s
01-20-2004, 07:48 AM
OL would be a good person to check with- along with those threads he posted. We gave him more info than he could handle- and I think he found exactly what he wanted in a great area.
OL- when is the house going to be done?
89checkmate- look forward to seeing you in AZ- feel free to email me with any questions.
Another thing- don't let SLICK talk you out of the west side- its definately where its at!
Roln 20s

91nordic29
01-20-2004, 07:59 AM
yeah, what he said!!
definitely the northwest valley.
(no comments from the peanut gallery jordy & slick!) :p ;)

Jordy
01-20-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by roln 20s
Another thing- don't let SLICK talk you out of the west side- its definately where its at!
Roln 20s
I'll agree it's where it's at. The news vans spend most of their time over there in the avenues... :p :D

Slick
01-20-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
I'll agree it's where it's at. The news vans spend most of their time over there in the avenues... :p :D
Looks like we both took our funny pills today:D

Outnumbered
01-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Ouch:eek: Havn't even moved in yet and your baggin on the neighborhood:D
"OL- when is the house going to be done?"
Roln, its looking like April/May. Can't wait, we're looking forward to it.
OL

Slick
01-20-2004, 09:38 AM
Who cares about the house. The question to ask is, "when's the pool going to be done and what time is the party?"

91nordic29
01-20-2004, 10:53 AM
let's not scare them off, now.:cool:

al cole'holic
01-20-2004, 10:56 AM
If I could do it...Scottsdale :D

roln 20s
01-20-2004, 11:16 AM
If I could do it...Scottsdale
Snottsdale- its real nice over there :D I'm only kidding about the Snottsdale thing, well kinda! They have their fair share, but so does everyone.
Roln 20s

fourspeednup
01-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Gotta recommend the apartments my sis and bro-in-law are living. Grayhawk (I think) in SNottsdale. Bunch of super hot 25-35 year old chicks looking for rich old men. On an average Fri/Sat you can hear them goin at it and moaning like none other through open windows.
@ 1:00AM...
"I think the dog needs to go out and have another walk"
:eek: :eek: :D :D

JakeAisA
01-20-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by al cole'holic
If I could do it...Scottsdale :D
I agree, Scottsdale is like Palm Springs...but better and without so many gays. (I'm not a homophobe...but it's just weird hanging out in a city full of gays).

mud duck
01-20-2004, 11:47 AM
I think Scottsdale is a bit over rated. It is very nice but expensive too. Some people say they have visited Phoenix, some people say they have visited Scottsdale. Kind of a snooty area of Phoenix. :D

al cole'holic
01-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by mud duck
I think Scottsdale is a bit over rated. It is very nice but expensive too. Some people say they have visited Phoenix, some people say they have visited Scottsdale. Kind of a snooty area of Phoenix. :D
..to a SoCal resident, Scottsdale is where you get a place twice as big for half as much! :D

Outnumbered
01-20-2004, 12:50 PM
..to a SoCal resident, Scottsdale is where you get a place twice as big for half as much! :D
Have you checked prices there recently? I would say the nice areas of Scottsdale (there are some areas that I would not want to live in) are comparable to many of the upscale new inland areas in SoCal. If I was going to drop that much on a house ($400k+) I would probably stay here. You can't really get a nice big NEW place with a pool/spa in Scottsdale for any less than $400k.
OL

al cole'holic
01-20-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Old Lavey
Have you checked prices there recently? I would say the nice areas of Scottsdale (there are some areas that I would not want to live in) are comparable to many of the upscale new inland areas in SoCal. If I was going to drop that much on a house ($400k+) I would probably stay here. You can't really get a nice big NEW place with a pool/spa in Scottsdale for any less than $400k.
OL
...hence my earlier post OL :D
You can barely get a condo around here for that...

PHX ATC
01-20-2004, 08:42 PM
Northwest or Southeast. Depends upon what you're looking for. You'll get pretty good bang for your buck for a new house but you'll have to commute for 45 minutes to the downtown area. If you like hockey and loserfootball (Cards) then go northwest. If you like hanging with old farts in golf carts, then go southeast. There's lakes on both ends, but Lake Pleasant is bigger and more heavily travelled (NW). Take a field trip out here and spend 2 days wandering around.

Outnumbered
01-20-2004, 08:44 PM
...hence my earlier post OL :D
You can barely get a condo around here for that...
Ya, I know how prices are out your way. I owned an appraisal office in LA county years ago and have friends out there. I am talking newer INLAND areas. Temecula comes to mind in Riverside county. All newer area, clean, nice, and reasonable by Cali standards.
Why pay $400+ for a tract home in the middle of the AZ desert? Especially when there are so many new nice neighborhoods around for 30-50% less. The stats show that areas like Scottsdale and Paradise Valley are not appreciating nearly as rapidly as some of the less established upscale areas in the valley. In fact, some high-end areas in the valley are not appreciating at all right now. I am banking on the idea that as the new areas become more established and "earn" their place in the local market you will see them working their way up in value, demand, and respect.
Just my observations,
OL

Kurtis500
01-20-2004, 09:51 PM
Where are you going to be working?
Buy a house on Central avenue between Bethany and Northern. Cant go wrong there.:D

91nordic29
01-21-2004, 06:40 AM
my sister just moved into their 3100sq ft, brand new home in surprise (NW Valley). they signed for 203K. the people who are buying there now are paying 223K. took 4 or 5 months while it was being built to appreciate that much.

91nordic29
01-21-2004, 09:09 AM
here is a nice tool for relocation info:
http://www.realtor.com/default.asp

CMABadseed
01-21-2004, 09:16 AM
the link didnt work for me.

91nordic29
01-21-2004, 09:21 AM
oops. i think i fixed it

Outnumbered
01-21-2004, 09:53 AM
I guess 89checkmate liked it so much he already moved.;)
What do you think so far 89checkmate?

Kurtis500
01-22-2004, 07:05 AM
If you like hanging with old farts in golf carts, then go southeast.
The northwest valley is by far the clear winner on having the most of them. Sun City, Sun City West, Sun City Grand, Youngtown and Pebble Creek are just a few of those 45-55+ communities off the top of my head. Before Peoria and Surprise grew Sun City and Sun City West were the biggest towns in the Northwest.
Theres also a really nice place at the Superstition mountains. Anything on the side of the mountain by the Mining Camp restaraunt pretty nice. And only a few minutes from Canyon lake. Lake Pleasant is huge and close. But like someone said here before, its the lake God forgot to landscape.

bullhead
01-22-2004, 10:10 AM
anywhere in the west valley the lots and houses are bigger than the east side for the same money.also the property values are going up quicker

prosthogod
01-22-2004, 10:39 AM
I've lived in "snottsdale" for 10 yrs now. It's 3hrs door to door to havasu. I've seen the appreciation of housing 1st hand. we are on our 3rd house banking 150k+ in each move. It may cost more for your initial bye in but you don't get that apprciation in most other cities.

89checkmate
02-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Thanks for all of the information....we are heading over on friday to finalize the job opportunity. we are looking to move around the first of april.

roln 20s
02-03-2004, 04:03 PM
89checkmate-
Best of luck this friday- keep us all posted. Look forward to a new ***boater in Phx- hopefully part of the WESTSIDE :D
Roln 20s