PDA

View Full Version : Recalibrating your Speedo

HotHallet
01-20-2004, 10:41 AM
Hey Everyone- I have a lifted Silverado with 33-inch tires and 4.56 gears and just installed the Superlift Speed Sensor Recalibration unit. This is a great product and gets your trucks speedo with big tires back to corrected speed. Many people lift their trucks but never think about correcting the speedo or gearing them for better performance and in our case towing power. This unit restored shift points of the transmission and gave me piece of mind in knowing how fast I am trucking down the freeway. I would recommend it for all the lifted truck guys!

Beautiful Noise
01-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Travis,Is that something you did OR you had somebody install it for you ?How much is the unit I know my speedo is off :)

HotHallet
01-20-2004, 05:13 PM
My co-worker and I did it. Instructions are easy-basically just plug and play and some mild wiring. Call me if you need any assistance 714-712-2127.

MagicMtnDan
01-30-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by HotHallet
Hey Everyone- I have a lifted Silverado with 33-inch tires and 4.56 gears and just installed the Superlift Speed Sensor Recalibration unit. This is a great product and gets your trucks speedo with big tires back to corrected speed. Many people lift their trucks but never think about correcting the speedo or gearing them for better performance and in our case towing power. This unit restored shift points of the transmission and gave me piece of mind in knowing how fast I am trucking down the freeway. I would recommend it for all the lifted truck guys!
Where can I get one? How much? (I need it!) Thanks

MagicMtnDan
01-30-2004, 06:39 AM
http://www.superlift.com/images/truspeed.gif
TruSpeed Speed Signal Recalibrator
Fits most 2WD and 4WD GM, Ford, Dodge and Toyota vehicles
The TruSpeed addresses all speed signal-related problems; it doesn't just correct the speedometer. How? The TruSpeed module installs in-line with the factory electronic speed sensor and converts the wrong speed signal into the correct one for your vehicle's new tire and/or axle gear ratio combination. Because the signal is altered at its source, all speed-sensitive vehicle systems will receive the correct speed data, which restores all proper functions. The TruSpeed is available for most domestic and import vehicles equipped with an electronic speedometer.
Main Features:
* Corrects speedometer / odometer readings, and the speed signal sent to the engine, Powertrain, and anti-lock brake control modules. Besides the obvious, these modules affect fuel delivery, engine timing, and automatic transmission shift points.
* Eliminates speed signal related reductions in engine performance and fuel economy, as well as related changes in exhaust emissions
* Infinite adjustability provides precise speed signal calibration within 1%
* Two settings allow off-roaders that seasonally run different height tires to correct their speed signal by flipping a switch
* Simple four-wire hookup
* Includes complete instructions and adjustment charts
* Can be recalibrated infinitely for future tire size or gear ratio changes
* Works on most vehicles equipped with an electronic speedometer
Virtually every vehicle manufactured since 1992 is equipped with an electronic speedometer that uses a sensor to read vehicle speed rather than a mechanical cable. This speed signal is a big factor in the overall performance equation. The speed sensor sends its signal to the Engine Control Module (ECM), the Powertrain Control Module, transmission, and if applicable, the anti-lock system "brain." When tire height and/or axle gearing is altered, these control units receive erroneous information. In all but the most extreme cases (really huge tires), an incorrectly calibrated vehicle will operate, but not at its peak.
For example: if a vehicle is factory equipped with 28" tall tires and they are changed to 35s, a 20% change has occurred. Unless remedied, the various control systems will "think" that the vehicle is traveling 20% slower than it actually is. To make matters worse, newer computer-controlled vehicles have become extremely sensitive to changes in tire diameter and axle gear ratio.
The reduction in performance can be difficult to gauge, but it is real. Plus, the number and degree of malfunctions increase as speed signal inaccuracy increases.

Beautiful Noise
01-31-2004, 12:29 PM
Anybody get a Price on this thing?:)

jackpunx
02-02-2004, 09:09 AM
Its a little off the subject... But .. Has anyone installed say 35+ size tires and gears? Is there a huge loss in mileage? and or performance? What was the cost for the upgrade? I want to go with 37s and a 6 1/2" lift. Anyone have a similar set up? And is there anything you would suggest or do different? I currently have a 6" and 35s on my GMC (gas truck /6-8 miles to the gallon) I want to go a little bigger but don’t want to sacrifice to much. I’m moving to an F250 P/S.
Thanks in advance

riverbound
02-02-2004, 09:26 AM
I have a f-350 p/s and did a 6.5" lift with 37" tires and the performance loss was very minimal. I am going to do the programmer exhaust and intake but have not found which one I want to do yet.

jackpunx
02-02-2004, 09:48 AM
Did you install the gears?.. do you have any pics of your truck?.
thanks ..

LUVNLIFE
02-14-2004, 09:29 AM
I don't know if there is a price difference but when we lifted our truck I used the Hypertech chip to recalibrate the speedometer. I chose to install the performance chip also but you can just do the speedometer. Plus you can change it or take it off if needed.

Ziggy
02-14-2004, 09:34 PM
Need one of those for sure, went to 35's and I'm off on speedo by 9mph at 80mph. When not towing and at a good cruising RPM my mileage has increased ever so slightly but went down noticably when towing. F350PSD.
My biggest concern has been whether or not my torque converter is locking up since it takes more "actual " speed to reach that lockup speed and I'm sure it gets its reading from the incorrect sender reading.