PDA

View Full Version : Hot Boat magazine's review of the Lavey 2750

Laveyman
01-20-2004, 03:35 PM
I must say my bubble just got busted, big time! I've had my eyes on a new 2750 with a Teague 800. I was planning to plunk down the money this spring and go for it. I was gonna compare it to a few other boats next weekend at the show, but must admit I was leaning towards the Lavey because of my relationship with them and the quality of their boats. That is until I read the review in Hot Boat! :eek: HOLY CRAP BATMAN! What I was told a while back by one by one of our "Forum Gods" is the real schiznit!
I was told by one of our own that the 2750 has a wicked handling problem over 75 MPH and they'd never own one for that reason only. They went for a ride in one and were damn near thrown from to boat it was so unstable. I had an invite to go for a ride in that same boat over Thanksgiving, but couldn't get away that weekend. Man I wish I had now.
What really torques me is Lavey's respone to the problem. It is my understanding that some of the owners have reported the same problem to Lavey, and were told it was "fixed" in models manufactured after thiers. And now Hot Boat tests one, presumably after the alleged fix was put in place, and it still porpoises and chine walks at speed! WTF! When Hot Boat asks Lavey about the problem, Lavey says there's noting wrong with the boat! Are they NUTS?!?!??? They have customers and an independant test telling them there's something wrong. One would think they would take a long hard look at the hull design, CG, or what ever wouyld make the boat handle this way. Or at the very least, not sell it with the power to achieve the speeds where it becomes unstable.
I figured that with the Teague 800, I would be in the mid 90's. Stuff happens really fast at that speed, and I don't want to stack up a boat and hurt someone. Besides that fact that if you're going to spend in the ballpark of 150 grand for a boat, it damn well better run smooth and sweet.
Does anyone have a 2750 that will do 80+? If so, is the article in Hot Boat true?

mbrown2
01-20-2004, 03:42 PM
If I was buying a 28 V, Howard would be at the top of my list and DCB would be 2nd...
DCB's are first on my list in most catagory's but the numbers on the Howard 25 and 28 Bullet's tell the story...they are able to run the 100+ plus speeds w/900+ power and with stability...

Laveyman
01-20-2004, 03:45 PM
The 28 Bullet was the main competitor for my dinero!

XTRM22
01-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Jeez Jimbo, Take a pill
You've been to tight with those Lavey guys for long enough to go talk to em about it before getting so wound up. I was fixing to call you cause when I read the article it sounded ok and looked awesome. Maybe I missed something. I've always been impressed with Lavey and Warlock for their F1 participation and wins, but my simple brain says just like a nascar, fast is loose. ok now that we've got that settled, blow those Lavey guys off and let me introduce you to Dave.;) :p :D
Chuck

carbonmarine
01-20-2004, 03:58 PM
IF YOU GUYS ARE LOOKING AT 28's.........
** SEE THE SUNSATION 28 " AT THE LA SHOW.....
Very solid, even at high speeds like the one you just reported, but for real stability at those speeds ,, you gotta go with two hamsters !
Rick32

boatnam2
01-20-2004, 04:03 PM
i do!

SoCalOffshore
01-20-2004, 04:08 PM
For the price you are talking, you could step up to a twin 496HO 32 foot Schiada Offshore. That boat will run 80 mph plus and have a ton of room. If your heart is set on a single engine, check out Howard, Hallet, Shockwave and Sunsation to name a few.

BENZEEN
01-20-2004, 04:15 PM
I have never seen a write-up on a 2750 that did not have trim tabs, even with mellow power. I always found that odd. Just my .02.

Starloans
01-20-2004, 04:21 PM
I get 80 & change on my 28 Extreme. No probs. I don't have tabs. Sometimes at higher speeds in chop it will roll off the pad but no chine or weird shit, something I think tabs would help.
I think the Flyn Vs go into the 90s with their 28. Maybe they have some comments on handling above 80 in a 28.

roln 20s
01-20-2004, 05:00 PM
The Lavey is a real nice boat- but as MBrown (a loyal DCBer put it)-- Howard has the numbers, and the write ups, and they don't lie. One single engine V I would consider buying and going that fast in. Plus- their boats are some of the best manufactured in the industry. Definately a great boat- and a good place to deposit the green!
Roln 20s

Kilrtoy
01-20-2004, 05:00 PM
Good company,
WAY TOO MUCH $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for a 27' boat

MagicMtnDan
01-20-2004, 05:08 PM
The recent (same?) issue of Hot Boat had great things to say about their 29 Magnatude with a blown motor in it. I recall there was a correction to the article posted here by management and it said (I think) that the boat did 88MPH on GPS.
In any case, that article had nothing but very positive comments about the boat, its handling and acceleration. It all sounded great and certainly would be one I'd consider if I had the 100-plus large it takes to buy one.
By the way, I believe that boat is (or was) Shockwave BD's (Barry's) boat. Him and his red and yellow flamed boats...

Havasu Hangin'
01-20-2004, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by boatnam2
i do!
The White Devil speaks...

boatnam2
01-20-2004, 08:50 PM
the test were done in havasu and i know for a fact the devil dont like to dance there!

Havasu Hangin'
01-20-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by boatnam2
the test were done in havasu and i know for a fact the devil dont like to dance there!
...they don't call it a demonstration ride for nothing!

BoatFloating
01-20-2004, 09:48 PM
Here is a couple qoutes from the write up.
And here is where things got sticky with the 2750 NuEra and the set up. Once we passed into the territory where the Lavey was born and bred to in the high speed mode, where the dual-step-bottom design is expected to pay dividends none of our 3 drivers could run the boat in a straight line for more than a few minutes at normal trim without inducing a persistent rock. The only way to to remove this rock completely was to tab it out, which meant scrubing off speed.
So read between the lines. If 3 skilled test drivers had problems and Hot Boat actually wrote it then you know there is problems. How often to you hear them say that many negative things about a boat? This test was with only a HP525 so imagine with some big ponies, look out!
If you're a future owner in this size class and have the means, this hull certainly deserves a look-but,more importantly, it deserves a drive. As nice as this is, we'd not recommend it unless you've ridden in and driven one with your power setup.
That pretty much says it all. I don't think I've seen Hot Boat slam that hard ever.
Last quote
Lavey says there is no issue with their bottom, and certainly you don't go around winning Factory Offshore racing titles with a skewed bottoms. Possibly it was a result of the setup, or possibly, as Lavey suggests, we just didn't get a rope around it. Either way, a sustained, flat, uneventful cruise at high speed in the 525EFI version certainly eluded us.
So Lavey told Hot Boat your test drivers don't know how to drive, Wow! I'm sure the ones they race have a little more done to the bottom, hopefully. I'm glad to see Hot Boat give us a true and unbiased report, it's good to see.

Sun burners
01-20-2004, 11:37 PM
WOW!

LASERRAY
01-20-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
Here is a couple qoutes from the write up.
So read between the lines. If 3 skilled test drivers had problems and Hot Boat actually wrote it then you know there is problems. How often to you hear them say that many negative things about a boat? This test was with only a HP525 so imagine with some big ponies, look out!
That pretty much says it all. I don't think I've seen Hot Boat slam that hard ever.
Last quote
So Lavey told Hot Boat your test drivers don't know how to drive, Wow! I'm sure the ones they race have a little more done to the bottom, hopefully. I'm glad to see Hot Boat give us a true and unbiased report, it's good to see. Haven't seen the latest Hb Yet, just got it today. Based on the negitive review of the Lavey, I'm assuming that Lavey didn't buy an ad this month!:D

Dr. Eagle
01-20-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
...they don't call it a demonstration ride for nothing!
HH your're killing me......
:D

boatnam2
01-21-2004, 05:41 AM
havent read the article,but the quotes by ***boat sound very familar.the boat is a handful above 70 in certain conditions.i have an openbow and dont know if the test was done with an openbow or closedbow so i cant comment on how the closedbow acts.i basically was told that i really didnt know how to drive the boat and needed to learn how to drive a twin step vee.i feel that my 20 plus years of boating 4 with a 100mph cat that i had learned something but i guess not.i really dont let people drive the boat which normaly i could care less about just for the simple fact that it can be a handful at times.it is funny at 60 to 65 i would drive the boat in any condition the ride is incredible and solid as any i have ever felt.but once past 65 the ride can become more of this is a blast hauling ass to whats going to happen next.ofcourse driving it trimed real hard fixes this but it really dosent it just scrubs off enough speed that your back in the sweet zone.so what the point of having a twin step to pick up mph if you have to control it all the time i dont know.im not telling everyone this to bash lavey because i feel they are a very solid company with great products and customer service and would buy another lavey in a minute, but i have felt this way about the boat since i have owned it and have had said basically what ***boat said word for word.im just going to live with it but i must say that having a few test drivers feel exactly like i do have giving me some satisfaction.

Havasu Cig
01-21-2004, 07:32 AM
LM,
Take your time and look around and drive some boats. I would also look at some East Coast stuff as well. Don't limit your choices, you might be suprised what is out there that is not built on the West Coast.
If you really want to get a good idea of the boats you have to choose from, got to the Miami and L.A. show.
Pantera, Sunsation, Formula ect... as well as the West Coast Companies mentioned all build good boats. For my money in a boat in that size range I think i would look hard at the Pantera, but that is just my .02.

Havasu Cig
01-21-2004, 07:34 AM
Here is a new 03 for sale. Awesome boat that you could run at both the lake and in the ocean.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69609

SoCalOffshore
01-21-2004, 07:52 AM
All I can say is mmmmmm. That certainly doesn't speak well of the hull and/or set-up. I remember the first time I rode my boat at Havasu on a flat day. I left the marina and ran 75 mph to Havasu Springs. The boat was just smooth. I could have left the helm and taken a nap in the cabin and I doubt the boat would have moved off center. :cool:

Havasu Cig
01-21-2004, 08:11 AM
Pantera F-1 boat.
http://www.panteraboats.com/boats/28/28_f1-71.jpg
:cool:

Steamin' Rice
01-21-2004, 08:29 AM
Is that whay they mean when they call it a "driver's" boat??

Laveyman
01-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Jim,
Thanks for your input on your 2750. It's odd that not only you don't know how to drive, but neither did the three test drivers! :D
Most manufacturers will tell you that Hot Boat, Powerboat, and most other magazine's are "advertising generated." Basically put, if you want one of your boat's on the cover, you better be spending big bucks on full-page ads. If you spend big bucks on these ads, they are also not as likely to bite the hand that feeds them.
So, for all three test drivers to note the same problem, AND for Hoat Boat to actually publish the problem, there's gotta be something to it.
Yes, there is something to the hull winning the Factory 1 class, but remember, those boats are not running flat out 80+ MPH. They are out on the ocean, under rough conditions and typically do not get up to full potential speed for very long. I believe the only difference between a production hull bottom and the F-1 boat's bottom is the F-1 boat's bottom was blueprinted. That should not make a major difference in handling.
I'm not giving up 100% on the Lavey, yet. I truly love the lines of the boat. But if it will not do what I'd expect it to do, then I'd be a fool to not also look at the others that are out there.

LaveyOne
01-21-2004, 11:14 AM
What's up everyone. I just wanted to jump on here and lend my .02 cents on the topic and the write-up.
I own a 2750 and have one of the early models of it (pre-hull modification.) We (my brother and I) have a Whipple Charged 500HP in it and have seen 88 mph in the salt and 85 in Havasu. It is a closed-bow set-up, so like Boatnam, I can't comment on the opposite, the open bow.
All I know is that we get a very stable ride at ALL speeds and have NEVER felt unsafe in our boat. In fact, we have run numerous Poker Runs, including S.C.O.P.E., along side the big boys and have held our own, respectfully.
It seems odd that EVERY OTHER WRITE-UP done on this model has been a rave, with the exception of the Boatnam boat, also a ***boat article. Magazines such as Powerboat, Family & Performance Boating, and Poker Runs America have all tested the 2750 and have given nothing less than the highest marks.
I personally know the owner of the boat in the write-up and know that he couldn't be happier with his purchase and his boat. Before you all go jumping the quality that Lavey has worked so hard to build, go for a ride in one. I, for one, would be happy to pilot any of you on these boards in our Lavey.
Like the article said, you can't win championships in a ill-handling boat. I've ridden in the F-1, the Poker Run Edition, and a couple of customer 2750's. They all seemed to handle very well and similar to mine. This I have first-hand experience on.
But again, just my .02 cents ...

Reaper1
01-21-2004, 01:05 PM
I have yet to recieve my new issue so I haven't read the article but, if you wanna go fast without any "ill handling" characteristics, Buy a Cat!:p

boatnam2
01-21-2004, 01:31 PM
i will take that ride any day laveyone,and pay for gas and everything. the sooner the better.im very curious to see how a closedbow with the same power rides compared to mine because i think that is a major factor in the way mine rides.is the boat that was tested a openbow.

boatnam2
01-21-2004, 01:38 PM
well rd you drove my boat what did you think about the ride.you have driven many different boats so i would say you can drive a boat.

koolhand
01-21-2004, 01:44 PM
I don't know what the Hot boat guy's are talking about. I watched that boat keep up with their race boat in the delta and it looked pretty good me. I heard there is going to be a drawing at the LA boat show to ride in the 2750 race boat. You get to drive from Dana Point to New Port Beach and back. This boat won the 2003 POPRAS championship and took second at the apba world with no TABS and a first at the OS worlds in Key West. You don't win championship with a bad handling boat. It's funny Power Boat and Family & Performance Boating loved the boat. And every body knows Bob Teague is tough but honest guy. As far as for the guy that owns one and is having issues. Maybe you should talk to the 27plus other owners that love there 2750s. Theirs a 2750 at the river with 750 HP zooming at high speeds most of the time and he has one hand on the wheel and on hand on his beer. If it was a bad handling boat? I don't think he could do that at 80 plus.
You can make some of the people happy some of the time and some times NOT.

boatnam2
01-21-2004, 01:51 PM
koolhand dont even go there you dont what the **** your talking about.unless you have driven my boat then shut the **** up.i hate experts that have never even posted and then get on and start talking shit because someone they know or somehow are associated to the product that they have to stand up for them.believe me i couldnt be happier if i never had to go through what i went through and was just as happy with my boat at 65mph as i was at 80.why would i make something up like that.laveycraft was my boat of choice and still is.

boatnam2
01-21-2004, 02:09 PM
that was pretty well said rd.god my responce to koolhand sounded a little rough.sorry alittle testy on thie subject. i just dont like the feeling like your going to get pitched out when you driving along in a straight line in good water at 80mph and all the sunden with no change ie"trim,tabs,rpm and the boat starts rocking back and fourth.no reason to make that up that is what happens.

Laveyman
01-21-2004, 02:45 PM
LaveyOne,
It seems all the 2750's you drove were closed bow. Is that true? If so, Boatnam's is an open bow. Perhaps it is a CG problem, rather than a hull design problem. :confused:
For what it's worth, I want a closed bow myself.

BoatFloating
01-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Koolhand, welcome to the boards. So you are saying 3 test drivers and a owner of one tell you it's a handful and you call them liars! Way to make friends and influence others. Maybe before you hit the submit button you should read what you said.
So tell me what would be Hot Boat's reason behind the less than glowing words on the handling, I know, they don't want add money. And boatnam2's comments because he wants to slam his own boat just because he's bored. We know Hot Boat tries to spin a story to give it a good write up in the end but you can't dispute what 3 test drivers said and 1 owner said. So there must be something there and it doesn't matter how many races and events it's won. I'll tell you that all boats run different in the ocean than the lake and like RD said what the top speed and for how long....

Havasu Hangin'
01-21-2004, 03:31 PM
The demons are out in the daylight now...

BoatFloating
01-21-2004, 03:37 PM
The demons are out in the daylight now...
amen brother.......
You going to show?????

Dr. Eagle
01-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Koolhand, welcome to the boards. So you are saying 3 test drivers and a owner of one tell you it's a handful and you call them liars!
We know Hot Boat tries to spin a story to give it a good write up in the end but you can't dispute what 3 test drivers said and 1 owner said. So there must be something there
Hey Boat Floating...
I agree with you 100%. I have experienced first hand the vices of a large stepped vee hull, extreme chine walks, blow out, slipping in turns, etc. Fortunately, I finally learned to drive the boat before it killed me. And that boat was not supposed to be anything special to drive.
But if those guys are saying it is a handfull...it must REALLY be bad. Some of the test guys race and I cannot imagine them talking negatively about it if it were relatively simple to drive.
Like you say. HB likes to spin and soften the negative comments, so as a reader you REALLY have to read between the lines. A small negative should be looked at carefully as it is probably a larger issue than they make it sound like.
I think I'd consider another boat, even though I like Lavey Craft's quality...but Lavey did not design the Nu Era hulls.
just my 0.2:)

Havasu Hangin'
01-21-2004, 03:42 PM
You going to show?????
Sure looks that way...I'll probably be at my favorite booth.*
When you going?
* AKA-the bar (drowning my sorrows in $6 cocktails the size of shot glasses).

BoatFloating
01-21-2004, 03:47 PM
* AKA-the bar (drowning my sorrows in $6 cocktails the size of shot glasses).
Make it $12 cocktails, because you owe me one from the one I made you on my boat last summer.
Me and Happy Star are going this Saturday.....

boatnam2
01-21-2004, 03:50 PM
F1 driver no shit riverdave.boy my name is going to be mud up at lavey.

BoatFloating
01-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Hey Boat Floating...
I agree with you 100%. I have experienced first hand the vices of a large stepped vee hull, extreme chine walks, blow out, slipping in turns, etc. Fortunately, I finally learned to drive the boat before it killed me. And that boat was not supposed to be anything special to drive.
But if those guys are saying it is a handfull...it must REALLY be bad. Some of the test guys race and I cannot imagine them talking negatively about it if it were relatively simple to drive.
Like you say. HB likes to spin and soften the negative comments, so as a reader you REALLY have to read between the lines. A small negative should be looked at carefully as it is probably a larger issue than they make it sound like.
I think I'd consider another boat, even though I like Lavey Craft's quality...but Lavey did not design the Nu Era hulls.
just my 0.2:)
I think Lavey builds nice boats they just have issues with this Model it sounds like. I think their cat is one of the nicest on the market it's wierd you don't see a ton of them.

unleashed
01-21-2004, 03:55 PM
Hey Boatfloating, I'll see all you guys at the show. I'll be cruising around and also be at the Force booth keeping an eye on my boat!:D
Can't wait to drink some brews and pretend to know what Im talking about! :wink:
Hey Boatnam, I think you are definitly owed a ride in one of the better handling Laveys so you can figure out what the problem is. I know Lavey has a great looking boat and pretty good reputation. I think your post was well put and mild considering the problems your boat has. Goodluck figuring out the problem.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

BoatFloating
01-21-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by unleashed
Hey Boatfloating, I'll see all you guys at the show. I'll be cruising around and also be at the Force booth keeping an eye on my boat!:D
Can't wait to drink some brews and pretend to know what Im talking about! :wink:
Hey Boatnam, I think you are definitly owed a ride in one of the better handling Laveys so you can figure out what the problem is. I know Lavey has a great looking boat and pretty good reputation. I think your post was well put and mild considering the problems your boat has. Goodluck figuring out the problem.
Deano
Deano, I'll see you there, I'll be drinking the margarita's on Havasu Hanging tab. Can my boy ride on your deck of your boat with his Healy's:frown:

unleashed
01-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Thats cool that HH is buying I think I'll have to put a couple of drinks on his tab for sures!
Deano

waterndog
01-21-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Isn't Kevin Cooper the F1 Driver for Lavey? I thought I read that somewhere.. ??
I'd for one be more then happy to take him out to Parker, put him up for a weekend, show him a good time etc.. just to get his input on your boat. Actually I want to be in it, when he makes it go fast and straight and flat, becuase I don't think it was in my abillities to do it, even though I wasn't driving when it was happening. (I'm just not sure how'd ya counter that weird rolling feeling, and to be honest I'd be a little concerned to try with the feeling my ass was giving me.. but a ski jacket and a lanyard I'd give it a shot.. ;) )
He might have some very valuable input as to what's causing it though and a potential fix?
RD
I believe Kevin owns the boat and it the throttle man, they got a new driver this year but don't know his name? I also think they switch from a 500hp to the 575 hp or did they switch to the 525 Hp shit I can't remember.:confused:

boatnam2
01-21-2004, 04:13 PM
thanks deano,i kinda gave up on it.they did some work on it ,it did get better. lavey took it back to hoboat and had it tested again and they said it was alright. so i just thought to myself well maybe that is just a vee for ya and moved on.i dont know if anyone has ever been to a ***boat test deal but they drive the shit out of the boat big time.i let them use it twice for the shootout so if i didnt give a shit about lavey i would of never let them take my boat for the abuse it recieved if i didnt stand behind them.i dont hardly ever run the boat at wide open hard so its really not an issue and wasnt worth trying to get it to my satisfaction.THIS IS AND WILL BE MY LAST POST ON THIS SUBJECT MADE MY PEICE PROBALY WILL NEVER BE ALLOWED BACK AT LAVEY BUT I SAID WHAT I HAVE TO SAY.

unleashed
01-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Hey Boatnam, Dont fret brother Im sure someone will step up to the plate and make it right. Like I said before you didnt rip into them, you just mildly stated what the boat does. Im sure you dont have to be an F1 driver to figure out how to drive the boat past 80, at least I hope you dont. Maybe Koolhand could get you a ride since he knows all 27 happy boat owners! :D
Deano

Havasu Hangin'
01-21-2004, 05:38 PM
Deano, I'll see you there, I'll be drinking the margarita's on Havasu Hanging tab.
Thats cool that HH is buying I think I'll have to put a couple of drinks on his tab for sures!
That's right gents...ole HH is buyin'! No worries...in fact...I'll buy a round for every HB board member who wants one!
For those of you who don't know me...I'll be working in the DCB booth...just ask for "Carlos".

twistedpair
01-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Could the 'rolling' deal be a symptom of too much stern lift? It almost sounds like a high speed 'bow steer' for lack of a better term. Open bows are heavier up front than closed, right? Maybe that coupled with too much of a lifting prop and,..... Ahh I don't know nuthin' ,just throwin' out some ideas.:confused:

mbrown2
01-21-2004, 06:02 PM
For those of you who don't know me...I'll be working in the DCB booth...just ask for "Carlos".
Funny Shit..:D

BoatFloating
01-21-2004, 06:08 PM
That's right gents...ole HH is buyin'! No worries...in fact...I'll buy a round for every HB board member who wants one!
At least we know the drinks won't be virgins. And since it's DCB money you beter make it 2 rounds and we can use zip ties for the stir sticks. :p

unleashed
01-21-2004, 06:42 PM
Awesome DCB is flipping the bill so I know it must be topshelf!
Deano

Havasu Hangin'
01-21-2004, 06:57 PM
...you beter make it 2 rounds and we can use zip ties for the stir sticks.
Awesome DCB is flipping the bill so I know it must be topshelf!
Absolutely (or Grey Goosely).
After we get all liquored-up...let's see how many HB members we can fit in Union Jack's boat...no need to take your shoes off, either.
If anyone tries to stop you...tell em Carlos said it was OK...then jump in.

Reaper1
01-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Free drinks and lounging in the DCB's. I'm there! See you guys on Saturday.:cool:

beach gomer
01-21-2004, 07:29 PM
koolhand
first of all the F1-11 of Kevin Cooper does have tabs he woulden't
race without them.I know lavey make two different types of set up's one with the back bottom stracks in for smaller hp and a filler to take the inside bottom straks out for anything over 470 hp.I've driven two different 2750 one had a 500efi and the other was the poker run boat.I felt both were no problem.The poker run boat was running at about 80 to 82 mph and had no problems with falling from side to side.this boat is made for chop if it's glass forget about it.I run a 26 lavey closed bow and this boat also has to driven but to me it's part of the fun of having a boat

Risky Business
01-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by beach gomer
koolhand
first of all the F1-11 of Kevin Cooper does have tabs he woulden't
race without them.I know lavey make two different types of set up's one with the back bottom stracks in for smaller hp and a filler to take the inside bottom straks out for anything over 470 hp.I've driven two different 2750 one had a 500efi and the other was the poker run boat.I felt both were no problem.The poker run boat was running at about 80 to 82 mph and had no problems with falling from side to side.this boat is made for chop if it's glass forget about it.I run a 26 lavey closed bow and this boat also has to driven but to me it's part of the fun of having a boat
I was wondering when you were going to come to the rescue...
What's up Chip. Missed you last Saturday, but your wife took care of me. hehehe

koolhand
01-21-2004, 07:51 PM
We had tabs on the boat but we broke the trim line on the second lap and still ran over 75 mph in some of the roughest water yet on the APBA tour. And for you guys that don't run the ocean we head a 82 mph average lap time in Ft Lauderdal race and as for flat water we ran 88.2 in Pittsburg Ca. And as far as the boat that Hot boat ran I have driven that boat and it runs very well at high speeds and low speeds. And as far as it goes on the offer to go to the river and run boatnam boat I'm in. I'm sure it's just the setup.

beach gomer
01-21-2004, 08:01 PM
sweeet
whats up Eric.may go up for the polar bear poker run next monthcall you later.

nextasex
01-21-2004, 10:08 PM
Just wanted to drop in and say HI,:p Oh yeah, and by the way, I have driven two different 2750's, one which was the Poker Run Edition and one was the stock version. Both felt like rockets, especially the PR edition. I had the PR boat generously over 70 and felt stable, had 4 people on board and had the tabs down a few degrees. Anyway, take care guys,
Increase the Peace!!
Frank

Laveyman
01-22-2004, 09:50 AM
RD,
If this comes to happen, COUNT ME IN! Hopefully Jim will bring his boat, as I think it is what SHOULD be the fastest 2750 built yet.
As far as there being an insert in the mold for the higher HP/speed setups, I'll talk to Andy Lange this weekend at the show to confirm it. If this is the case, maybe there is hope for my dream boat!

rivercrazy
01-22-2004, 09:57 AM
I heard a while back that Andy doesnt work there anymore. Is he still around?

waterndog
01-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
I heard a while back that Andy doesnt work there anymore. Is he still around?
Your right Andy is no longer with Lavey ! To bad Andy was a good guy.

boatnam2
01-22-2004, 11:13 AM
know i said i wouldnt say another thing about this(well not about my boat anyways)i thought about this all night. iam down for sure on febuary 14 or every other weekend after that anyone wants to meet.i work every other weekend!bring your boat ill pay for everything i have my own dock we can test and tune and compare and see just whats up,and to the guys like frank,rb,and others that have drivern there buddie or aqauntices 2750 with at least 550hp i make this offer anyone wanting to give me a ride in there 2750 at lake elsinore or wherever.i will pay 250 bucks that should cover boat gas, truck gas,lunch,the effort to bring it out to the lake for an hour.so what am i trying to prove.peace of mind.if your boat rides straight and true,well that tells me maybe there is something wrong with mine,if it rides the same as mine and you can look me in the eyes and say what was wrong with that then i will know its just the way the 2750 rides.and to all the guys that know the very happy guy with the openbow in the new ***boat mag i will meet him anytime anywhere to drive his boat just once.if in the end if its just me and i dont know how to drive a ****ing boat i will make a public appology on ***boat and at laveycraft in person.

rivercrazy
01-22-2004, 11:27 AM
I gotta hand major kudo's over to Boatnam. It takes some major intestial fortitude and some big balls to step up and be so honest about this whole thing. And to offer up all that was said in his last post.
Your the man Jim! :D

boatnam2
01-22-2004, 11:36 AM
thanks rc,ok going to be gone for the day check all the offers this afternoon.

mbrown2
01-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Jim,
I think Lavey makes a great boat, and I think you have represented well...also, been pretty gentlemanly about getting to the bottom of the question of setup, boat, or driver:D

Ducatista
01-22-2004, 11:48 AM
After reading this thread, it would seem to me there is a very simple solution to this issue. Boatnam your boat is awsome, just slap a set of tabs on it and be done with it. You will find its one of the best options you can put on a Vee, stepped or not, allows you to really dial in your ride based on conditions, speed and horsepower etc. I'll take the advantages that tabs give you over a couple of shaved MPH anyday of the week. Have a good one, if you do futher testing with your boat, I would like to read about it.(maybe split the difference with the good people at Lavey and share the cost of the tabs and install is what I might be thinking):cool:

roln 20s
01-22-2004, 12:16 PM
To RD and Boatnam-- I'm super impressed with the way this thread has gone and all of your responses. They are very to the point, but not out of line. Tons of respect.
I just hope the Lavey driver follows through on his end of the deal and drives that bad boy. Best of luck with your Lavey.
Roln 20s

Laveyman
01-22-2004, 02:02 PM
I'm with Jim, whatever weekend it is, I'll be there with cervezas in hand. I may even bring my boat if anyone is interested in a test drive, as it will likely be on the market by then.
CoolHand,
What happened to Andy? Andy was always a great guy to deal with...for the most part. It did seem that he was getting a little "ragged" the last few months though.
I really didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest with this thread, but maybe some good will come of it.

Ducatista
01-22-2004, 03:29 PM
"I think your thinking of "tabs" (taps?) incidentally Boatnam's boat already has a set of tabs on it. (decent sized tabs too)"
Oh well, so much for that idea! Its back to reading comprehension and typing classes for me!:rolleyes:

Laveyman
01-22-2004, 03:49 PM
RD,
It's the 99 Lavey I had last fall. 24 NuEra closed bow, 454MAG/MPI, Imco Powerflow,exhaust, Imco single ram hydraulic steering, Merc K planes, Bluewater Drive/Tab indicator, K&N air filter, Beede guages, electronic compass, depth guage, offshore shifters, porta potty, stereo with 6 speakers and amp (No sub though). Boat is very clean and sits on a Extreme trailer. It will run 65-66 all day long in Havasu heat with typical load. Light load, moderate chop I get an honest 71 on GPS. The ONLY reason I'm thinking of selling my baby is 3-foot-itis the need for speed! I'd like to be real close to the 100 MPH mark. It will be a sweet boat for whoever gets it.

Laveyman
01-22-2004, 03:50 PM
Here's a pic.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2550motion_granted_smaller-med.jpg

Havasu Hangin'
01-22-2004, 06:29 PM
...I wonder what Hot Boat would say if they evaluated Jim's boat?

LaveyOne
01-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Hey y'all! Just wanted to chime in again. Jim, Tina - Met you guys down at Lavey several times. Don't know if you remember me. Your boat was just ahead of ours and I still think it's beautiful and "Un-be-Lavey-ble." Unfortunately, we don't do Parker much and don't get to see it very often.
Anyway, this sounds like it's setting up like some kind of rumble, like in "The Outsiders" or something. :) I assume RD is "Ponyboy." :D Jim, you don't have to shell out for the day, or even for a ride. Like I said, it's no sweat to spin you (and Tina) in our boat. Let's make a fun trip out of it and hopefully some good will come of it. In other words, I'm in also!!! :cool:
Beach Gomer, you dirty dawg!!! I knew you were "inside." How's the wife and child? We gotta hook up soon! Tell Don we're beefing up our stereo. About $ 5,000.00 worth! :wink: :D

boatnam2
01-22-2004, 08:15 PM
laveyone yes i remeber you well.the big stereo and tv's.hows it going?if i remember correctly you were getting a 496,if so unless you added a whipple or something i woundnt mind spending a day boating with you but i dont think i will learn nothing from it.the stuff im talking about is on the south side of 70mph+.thanks for steeping up and making a offer i appreciate it. especially when its the only offer i have gotten i thought for sure with all these guys that all have driven 70mph 2750 laveys with no problem i would be turning down offers tonite.guess not.definately not an outsiders deal it would be fun with a hope to learn something ,drink a little beer and enjoy boating.

XTRM22
01-22-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Laveyman
Here's a pic.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/2550motion_granted_smaller-med.jpg
I'm no good at posting pictures (to technical for me) but I've got a good helicopter picture of LaveyMans NuEra....running slightly behind a 22' DCB Vee :p :D I know your actually faster Jimbo but I've always been pleased with myself for pulling ahead when I saw the helicopter hovering over us.
Chuck

LaveyOne
01-22-2004, 08:37 PM
Jim, we DID upgrade our motor package. We are currently running a 500HP with a Whipple Charger. Gary Teague did the install and we're pushing 750 hp. So, if you're interested, let me know ...

boatnam2
01-22-2004, 08:43 PM
im very interested name the day.your just up the road so we could hit elsinore for a few hotlaps.i wish i had my boat here so i could give you a ride in it but is in parker.i will bring tina.i really would like to do this soon and get it behind me.

nextasex
01-22-2004, 10:04 PM
Jim, I don't own a 2750. If ya wanna ride in my 26, let me know. We will be hitting the ocean in a couple weeks. Laveyone has the perfect boat to compare to, High HP and it's a 2750. I wish I can borrow the Poker Run boat and we can take a ride in that. Too bad you didn't make the Regatta last year. Chris gave a couple rides in that boat and that's when I took it for a Quick run, I didn't do a technical boat test or anything. Join us for an ocean run one day, Nick (Wild Lavey) has a 2750 as well, and he always goes to play in the ocean.
Take Care,
Frank:)

boatnam2
01-22-2004, 10:18 PM
thanks frank,hopefully me laveyone and i can hook up in teh next week or two and make this happen.

Faster Daddy
01-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by twistedpair
Could the 'rolling' deal be a symptom of too much stern lift? It almost sounds like a high speed 'bow steer' for lack of a better term. Open bows are heavier up front than closed, right? Maybe that coupled with too much of a lifting prop and,..... Ahh I don't know nuthin' ,just throwin' out some ideas.:confused:
Twisted I think you may be right. My first thought would be setup. I only have about 50 hours on my boat now (24 NUEra), but I experienced similar handling as reported in HB when I changed props (70+ mph). Boatnam2 I hope that Koolhand will be able to you dial it in, good luck.

Laveyman
01-23-2004, 06:44 AM
I'm not so sure on the stern lift idea. Here's why...In theory, too much stern lift could be overcome by trimming the engine up, thus lifting the bow further out of the water and placing the weight back on the stern where it belongs.
The Hot Boat article said they had to drop the tabs in the water to stop the rocking. This causes the bow to dig in even more, which I think would cause even more of a bow steer problem.
If I'm not wrong, Jim's boat problem is a side to side rocking (Chine walking), not a front to back rocking the article describes.

HighRoller
01-23-2004, 10:25 AM
don't mean to butt in but...
I'm with Jim, whatever weekend it is, I'll be there with cervezas in hand
We might have found the REAL problem!

Laveyman
01-23-2004, 10:48 AM
:D :D :D

boatnam2
01-23-2004, 12:03 PM
laveyone i sent you a pm, am im ready to go next week anyday.

Laveyman
01-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Jim,
I'd love to hear the results of your test drive on LaveyOne's boat. Will you post them here or send me a PM? It seems he and you are the closest 2750's to what I want to build.

WILD LAVEY
01-23-2004, 01:54 PM
laveyone and boatnam, let me know when you guys are doing this test run. i havent offered my 2 bits of info cause my boat only runs about 70 mph. and as for scrubbing speed using the tabs, i found that on my boat with tabs and right trim i get at least 2 mph more.

boatnam2
01-23-2004, 03:47 PM
hey nick,i think back now i wish i would of rode in your boat when i had a chance.i know it dosent go into the area i think were talking about but i would still like to ride in it.laveyman no i probaly wont be putting up results im trying to figure out my boat setup and make it right not trying to figure out is there iss a a problem .if i find out it is just me i will post that it was just me though and there is nothing wrong with teh boat .im pretty sure koolhand let jeff and chris know whats going on and i would think that your srious about buying a 80 to 90 mph 2750 they could make a test ride happen.

WILD LAVEY
01-23-2004, 06:10 PM
jim your welcome on my boat anytime. let me know whey you and ray plan on goin to elsinore and ill drag my boat out also.

LaveyOne
01-23-2004, 06:52 PM
Boatnam,
Give me a couple weeks for the run. I can't do it during the week and my next couple weekends are booked, 'cuz I'm selling my house. I know you're anxious and I look forward to running you around. Maybe I can even grab KoolHand with me for the day. Anyways, sorry I can't do it sooner, but I definitely WILL do it !!!
Nick,
it would be cool if you came out also. Great chance for more photo opps. :D

beach gomer
01-23-2004, 07:03 PM
Laveyone
are you going to Mike's for the Superbowl party Andy's new father-in-law.I'm sure you are more than welcome.

boatnam2
01-23-2004, 07:26 PM
laveyone sounds like a plan.im going to bring my boat home on febuary 14 so hopefully you me and nick can hit the lake for a few hours.i really apreciate you stepping up to help me out.

WILD LAVEY
01-23-2004, 10:00 PM
ok fellas, just let me when and im there. heck, while were at it we should make it a catalina run. what do ya say jim?

nextasex
01-23-2004, 11:08 PM
Dudes, who is Koolhand? Nick did you say Catalina, can I run with you boys? I think next weekend I will be out there.
Frank