PDA

View Full Version : Aftershock or Shockwave?

PlaneNutz
01-20-2004, 03:52 PM
I'm ready to buy and was hoping for some feedback good and bad about these two boats. Can anyone help? Any suggestions?

BENZEEN
01-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Shockwave. It doesn't matter at which size boat you are looking. Shockwave.
-Vik

DAB
01-20-2004, 03:59 PM
I personally would go with the Shockwave, I'm currently on my second and would like to move up to the 34. Do yourself a favor and run a search on the site for "Shockwave/Aftershock" you should be able to find many comments regarding both mfgrs...
David

rivercrazy
01-20-2004, 03:59 PM
I don't have any personal buying experience with Aftershock but I've looked at them very closely. IMHO Shockwave is a better boat.
I can tell you that I've purchase two new Shockwave's. A 1998 21LS that I used heavily and sold in 2002 for almost what I paid for it new. Then purchased a 2003 25 Tremor. Put 85 hours on it with zero problems with anything. With Shockwave your dealing with two owners that are heavily involved in the manufacture of every boat. Danny is one of the best gelcoaters in the business and Bob is one of the best riggers out there. Their boats from gelcoat design / execution, to layup, to rigging, interior (also done inhouse), to performance are all very high quality. And their customer service is outstanding (ask for Barry). They do not forget about you after the sale. I have never heard one complaint about Shockwave from anyone or on the message boards. Based on my experience with them, I would highly recommend Shockwave.:D

Steamin' Rice
01-20-2004, 04:10 PM
Shockwave for sure.. I have had a 29 for about 1.5 years and have not had any issues with it at all. They are a great company to deal with and they do a great job building their boats. Like others have said, do a search on both companies and look at the comments on both of them. I don't think that you'l find negativ comments about shockwave...

SoCalOffshore
01-20-2004, 04:18 PM
Just buy Steamin Rice's 29 footer. Then you will be happy and he can upgrade to the 34. :D

Kilrtoy
01-20-2004, 04:59 PM
You will see them at the boat show compare, Once you see them side by side im positive shockwave will be your choice.
Alex at Aftershock used to be a owner / work at shockwave...
Shockwave higher resale value.....

MagicMtnDan
01-20-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by titties and beer
NORDIC:D
Hey T&B I've seen you post the exact same schiznit over on the other boards :D
You haven't sold that Nordick yet? :D

cc322
01-20-2004, 05:44 PM
I have been to Shockwave and Aftershock and would have to lean towards the Shockwave. I think they should expand thier line a little bit like a nice big 23. I wasent impressed with Aftershock but I dont have any first hand experience with them just dont like their looks of thier boats. I was talking to Greg at shockwave but I herd he is no longer there .

jbtrailerjim
01-20-2004, 06:37 PM
I looked at both when I was shopping. I liked Shockwave a lot more than Aftershock. I didn't care for the look's of the Aftershock's. Shockwave's 25 Tremor was what I was close to buying but I just didn't wanna spend the extra $10k verses what I ended up buying. But Greg at Shockwave was really cool and took the time to ansewer all my questions on my several visits I made there.

Mandelon
01-20-2004, 06:44 PM
I hear they do some nice fades....:rolleyes:
http://www.parkermitch.com/racepass/pics/640/myboatbad.jpg

Steamin' Rice
01-20-2004, 06:51 PM
Wicked fades!! :D :D

MagicMtnDan
01-20-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
OUCH! Clearly that's not a Shockwave fade job. I've seen ShockwaveBD's fades and they're waaaaaay better than that!

Kilrtoy
01-20-2004, 08:23 PM
Ive seen better fades on Rodney O and Joe Cooley

redneckgirl
01-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Here is our .02. We did alot of research on the web of the custom boats. We were looking for the smaller style 21-23' boats. We live on the central coast, so it was going to be a long weekend to check out the custom boat mfgrs. It is a 5 hour drive to So-Cal custom boat maker area. We definitely considered the Aftershock, but after figuring out the $$ for the "options" we wanted from the web page, it was way higher than others. We didn't ever end up at Aftershock. If you check out the standard features (through transom exhaust, dual batteries, power hatch lift, etc, etc...)quality and price, Shockwave gives you what a custom boat should have for a stock price. We purchased the 21' Step Skier with the 6.2, and couldn't be happier. It is everything we could have dreamed of, speed in rough water and a wake you can ski behind. I am not sure what model you are looking for, but you will not do wrong with any Shockwave.:wink: :wink: :D :D
Redneckgirl

PHX ATC
01-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Shockwave.
See Barry.
Out.

rivercrazy
01-20-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Mandelon
That boat is definately NOT a Shockwave. :D

jbtrailerjim
01-20-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy
Not sure why you copied that pic in a Shockwave vs. Aftershock thread. That boat is a Kachina.....
You sure bout that?:rolleyes:

rivercrazy
01-20-2004, 09:55 PM
JBT - Your absolutely right about it not being a Kachina. I stand corrected..... I'm gonna go edit that post... But its NOT a Shockwave for sure!

Dr. Eagle
01-20-2004, 09:59 PM
JBT - Your absolutely right about it not being a Kachina. I stand corrected..... I'm gonna go edit that post... But its NOT a Shockwave for sure!
Maybe it's the new BAYLINER????
:D

jbtrailerjim
01-20-2004, 10:01 PM
Well it does have "Shock" in it's name and you are right it's not a Shockwave.:D

Kilrtoy
01-20-2004, 10:04 PM
Im sure that is not a SHOCKWAVE,
there factory does not look like that and everything is done on site or inhouse at one location....

LASERRAY
01-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
Well it does have "Shock" in it's name and you are right it's not a Shockwave.:D Yes Pat, I'd like to buy a Vowel,- A! Correct! Yes Pat I'd like to solve the puzzle! It it Aftershock Pat?:D

Dr. Eagle
01-20-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by jbtrailerjim
Well it does have "Shock" in it's name and you are right it's not a Shockwave.:D
Maybe Imshock(ed) boats...?
Before shock boats?
Currently shock(ed) boats?

LASERRAY
01-20-2004, 10:08 PM
See previous!:D

rivercrazy
01-20-2004, 10:17 PM
Any boat maker that sprays elaborate gelcoats can at times have issues. Despite all proper gelcoat application techniques, you never know for sure if its gonna be perfect until the boat gets pulled out of the mold.
Its how a manufacturer handles the problem and how satisfied the client is thats the important thing....

Kahuna
01-21-2004, 06:56 AM
Every manufacture must redo some part of the gelcoat after it gets out of the mold to fix imperfections. It would be naive to think that they never had to retouch them after they came out of the mold. If they had to get it perfectly right out of the mould every time there would be a huge market for blemished second hulls. The boat company that is doing my hull had no problem fixing it but what got me is they thought it was ok when I saw it. I am going down today and see if it looks they way it should look. If not I am off to Shockwave or Ultra for another boat. :D

Dr. Eagle
01-21-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Yes Pat, I'd like to buy a Vowel,- A! Correct! Yes Pat I'd like to solve the puzzle! It it Aftershock Pat?:D
I love Vanna White....:D
He He....

Back To Havasu
01-21-2004, 09:32 AM
Another very happy Shockwave owner here. Sales and service are tops.;)

PlaneNutz
01-21-2004, 10:13 AM
I guess I should've mentioned that the two boats I am deciding on, are the Aftershock 24' Tremor, and the Shockwave 25' Tremor. Although nobody has really said anything bad about the Aftershock (other than needing to learn how to fade a paint job), I think that the Shockwave has a larger following. I only know enough about boats to listen to what other boat owners have to say about them. I'm finding that the Shockwave is probably worth the extra money. I'm sure that after I write that check, I'll be happier in the long run. Thanks to all for all of your opinions and recommendations!

Mandelon
01-21-2004, 10:16 AM
I read in ***boat a few years ago that the owner of Aftershock used to work at or for Shockwave... If you think about the names it sorta makes sense. I don't know if its true.

rivercrazy
01-21-2004, 10:53 AM
This is just my opinion and this post is not meant to start a flame war.
But I think comparing Shockwave to Aftershock is not a very fair one to say the least. To me that is like comparing Howard or Lavey to a Commander Omega or the like.
Again just my opinion

hd&boatrider
01-21-2004, 10:57 AM
This is just my opinion and this post is not meant to start a flame war.
But I think comparing Shockwave to Aftershock is not a very fair one to say the least. To me that is like comparing Howard or Lavey to a Commander Omega or the like.
Again just my opinion
RC--I know what you mean about the difference in quality and not wanting to start a flame war but.....The difference in quality between a Shockwave and Aftershock and the Howard and a Commander is no where near the same thing. By the way I own a Commander.

rivercrazy
01-21-2004, 11:15 AM
Hey Tom - I hope I didn't offend ya with my opinion. I do respect your thoughts/opinions on the matter.
OK how about this comparision instead. Lexus versus Hyndai

hd&boatrider
01-21-2004, 11:26 AM
Hey Tom - I hope I didn't offend ya with my opinion. I do respect your thoughts/opinions on the matter.
OK how about this comparision instead. Lexus versus Hyndai
No offense taken RC....I mean that the differnce in quality between the Howard and Commander is much. much more of a difference than comparing Aftershock and Shockwave. The quality difference on the AS and SW would be much less of a gap.
Lexus -vs- Hyundai is still a little wide on the difference but I understand what you are saying. You are saying that the quality on a SW is much more than the AS :)
I am happy with my Commander but if I could afford it I would have a Howard in a heart beat. I love those boats :)

Mrs. Bordsmnj
01-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Ok, we own an Aftershock and love our boat. We were treated very well before, during and after the sale. We also got a great deal on our boat.
I have nothing against Shockwave. They were actually one of the boats we considered but they treated us REALLY bad when we went there so ultimately we decided on an Aftershock.
I am not interested in getting bashed for owning an Aftershock so keep it to yourself. All I can say is our experience with Aftershock has been great.
Linda

Kahuna
01-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Aftershock is a fine boat and so far they have been eager to help resolve the situation. I wanted some out side comments to see if I was crazy. This is the first time buying a boat so I don’t know what were my options. But I am sure that everything will be taken care of in the end. :D

rivercrazy
01-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Linda - I'm really glad your happy with your boat cause it is a really nice ride.
Again my comments were not meant to offend anyone. And the posts were directed a specific manufacturers not anyone personally.
The originator of the threads was looking for opinions and feedback and that was all I was giving him. My opinion only....:D To me that is what these boards are all about - sharing opinions & thoughts

Mrs. Bordsmnj
01-21-2004, 01:51 PM
Linda - I'm really glad your happy with your boat cause it is a really nice ride.
Again my comments were not meant to offend anyone. And the posts were directed a specific manufacturers not anyone personally.
The originator of the threads was looking for opinions and feedback and that was all I was giving him. My opinion only....:D
I almost went back and edited my post Dave, to let you know that I wasn't referring to you at all. :D I totally respect your opinions and know you are not just talking out your ass. ;)
But being an Aftershock boat owner, we are always having to defend our choice. It gets annoying.
BTW, are you and Jen going to the boat show on Sat?
:)
Linda

rivercrazy
01-21-2004, 01:56 PM
I can see where your coming from. I know you put a ton of hours on your boat with no problems and its a great boat.
I have been known to speak out my ass before. Just ask Jen! LOL!
Not looking good for the show this weekend. Tight schedule and I'm fighting this stupid cold/flu bug....

BoatFloating
01-21-2004, 02:28 PM
I love all the Monday morning QB's this site has. It's great to have opinions and that what makes a chat forum but to say that one boat builder is better than another and don't have facts to base it on is some what reckless. I have yet to see on this site a owner of a Aftershock bad mouth the boat, from the service, customer service and after sale service. But we have people saying who own other boats say their boat is better, well duh! that's why you bought that boat. But you offend people who have a Aftershock and have been very happy with them. Imagine if they start bad mouthing your choice in boats. If your looking for a boat and want unbiased info ask the a owner of the MFG your looking at and not someone how has a agenda. Trust me eveyone of the West Coast MFG have had issues in their past and some in the present so don't throw stones. There has been people here that have bad mouth the boat they own and that's the people who to me have the right answer. If you didn't buy a boat and there was a reason give the facts not just the boat I have is better.
As far as the Aftershock/Shockwave connection it's my understanding that there was a falling out with people who worked for the owner of Aftershock and they left and started Shockwave or the owner left and started Afteershock. Either way this is why they have a couple hulls that are the same.

Kilrtoy
01-21-2004, 05:48 PM
I havent herad anyone slam AFTERSHOCK on here.
Ive only heard that they feel Shockwave is a better boat.
So whats all the up roar.....
Do aftershock owners feel like less of boaters.
I hear them alot sticking up for there boat, saying that shockwave owners slam them. Not to say it does not occur, But I havent seen it....

BoatFloating
01-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Kilrtoy
I havent herad anyone slam AFTERSHOCK on here.
Ive only heard that they feel Shockwave is a better boat.
So whats all the up roar.....
I hear them alot sticking up for there boat, saying that shockwave owners slam them. Not to say it does not occur, But I havent seen it....
In a previous post you said a Shockwave would have a better resale value than a Aftershock. I would like to know where you get your info. And give me your reasons or is that you own a Shockwave. I said unbiased and if you haven't seen some slams on Aftershock then you haven't been on this site as long as it seems.

Kilrtoy
01-21-2004, 06:41 PM
Well I am basing that fact on past sales of shockwaves.
I have seen very few go for sale and when they do, they go for a high price and quickly. Aftershock is very new and I dont recall any sales of used ones yet.
And I have only been on this site for 2 weeks......

LASERRAY
01-21-2004, 10:11 PM
And I have only been on this site for 2 weeks......
That's A Good One K.:D Nice post count Newbie:eek:

Dr. Eagle
01-21-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
That's A Good One K.:D Nice post count Newbie:eek:
Shizzle, he must talk more than Joan Rivers.....

SLAPPING_GLASS
01-22-2004, 04:11 AM
Maybe I am a little bias but I will put my 2 cents in.I bought a 2003 aftershock 21 1/2 ft open bow toronado July of last year.
I did a comparision and found that aftershock used the same 4 full stringer system,same resin,same weight of material for the interior and carpet.so I wonder why the other boats are so much higher is it all because of the high priced guages..and earlier someone mentioned the extras are not included with aftershock like dual batteries power hatch thru transom exhaust think i would rather pick and choose my options than pay for it automatically Hell I know for a fact that i can install a power hatch cheaper than any boat manufacture could.And the thru transom exhaust is gonna be done soon through aftershock for only 475.00 seems like a goo deal too me.And motor wise they all have the same warranty through merc anyways.WQell theres my opinion for what it is worth.
You all have a good one I'm out

Kahuna
01-22-2004, 07:44 AM
All the custom boat builders use the same type of materials and techniques to build the boats. They also order most of there gear from the same Dana catalog. :p

Essex502
01-22-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Kahuna
All the custom boat builders use the same type of materials and techniques to build the boats. They also order most of there gear from the same Dana catalog. :p
I'd beg to differ with you on materials and techniques to build a hull. There are probably as many techniques to layup the hull as there are builders.

Kahuna
01-22-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
I'd beg to differ with you on materials and techniques to build a hull. There are probably as many techniques to layup the hull as there are builders.
Ok similar techniques. What I mean is that they all hand they the fiberglass, they probably all buy it from the same supplier. They all run four full-length stringer with similar material. I know some are now using a plastic type of material for their interior structures instead of wood. There is not that much to building a boat, just some manufactures has better attention to detail than others and that is what you pay for. Plus the name always adds something to the price. :D

Havasu_Dreamin
01-22-2004, 08:26 AM
Actually, it's more than that. The amount of fiberglass used makes a difference as well. Some builders only use bi-directional, some use tri-directional in addition to bi-directional, and yet other builders use both bi-directional, tri-directional, and quadaxial fiberglass. So, aside from using fiberglass and resin, and there is a difference in the resins used from what I understnad, there is mroe to it than just laying the fiberglass up. Also, some builders use a coring material in their boats while others don't.

Essex502
01-22-2004, 08:26 AM
I've heard that some builder's use only 2 full length stringers. Some use bi-axial glass, some tri-axial and others quad-axial glass. Some (Howard comes to mind) leave the hull in the mold two weeks and others pop them out in as little as 4 days. Some offer vacuum bagging.
Just a comment and don't take offense, but I think you may be over simplifying the process.

Kahuna
01-22-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Essex502
I've heard that some builder's use only 2 full length stringers. Some use bi-axial glass, some tri-axial and others quad-axial glass. Some (Howard comes to mind) leave the hull in the mold two weeks and others pop them out in as little as 4 days. Some offer vacuum bagging.
Just a comment and don't take offense, but I think you may be over simplifying the process.
No offense taken.
Now on a boat like a '25 Cat or some similar that will do 90 mph plus I would defently want be sure it was the latest greatest. But I will ask them today what they use to build their hull at Aftershock. The more information the better. :rolleyes:

Mrs. Bordsmnj
01-22-2004, 09:30 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tom Brown
01-22-2004, 09:36 AM
From reading other forums where light weight race hulls were discussed, it's interesting to note that there are instances of 700 lb hulls that have evolved into 625 lb hulls over the years and yet the newer, lighter hulls crack less and stand up better to the severe use they see, despite looking identical to the older models.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that design has something to do with boat quality too.
: )

Essex502
01-22-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Kahuna
No offense taken.
Now on a boat like a '25 Cat or some similar that will do 90 mph plus I would defently want be sure it was the latest greatest. But I will ask them today what they use to build their hull at Aftershock. The more information the better. :rolleyes:
You can't know enough nor ask enough questions about the boats you're looking at! Make the builder's reps show you why you should buy from them.

SoCalOffshore
01-22-2004, 02:54 PM
The fact is that all boats are not made the same or with the exact same materials. Of course there are many similarities. Why is a Mercedes more expensive than a Kia? They are both made with metal and welds? The answer is obvios as is the case with boats, under carefull scrutiny. Aftershock is a fine boat as is Shockwave, Howard and Schiada. But, they are different in some respects to. Such as cost and quality and materials. My .02.:D

SoCalOffshore
01-22-2004, 02:57 PM
Oh yeah, no offense to the Kia drivers. :D

cc322
01-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Well after visiting Lavey and a few other custom boat manufactures i can tell you that theres no way that they all do it the same. Just with the Lavey 21 I think there are 9 or 12 dirfferent molds that go into that boat. From the top, to the botton, to the ice chests, to the cup holders, they are all a seperate mold, not framed out of plywood. From what I have been told this is felt in the structure of the boat , wakes , rough water,handeling ,etc. Lavey also injects foam between the floorboard and the bulkheads. I think I got that right. so there is a huge difference:D But Lavey also demands a much higher price than most.

rivercrazy
01-22-2004, 10:01 PM
I also think Lavey makes one of the best built boats on the market. IMHO the foam under the floor is really the only thing I don't care for. Foam can absorb water and could lead to rot. Other than that they are top notch IMHO