PDA

View Full Version : 496HO computer stuff

Kachina26
01-20-2004, 10:33 PM
Anyone know if the 555 has a replaceable PROM or is it permanent? If permanent, can it be reflashed? Where can I get a scan too for personal use? Any guesstimates on how much for a scantool? Sorry for the double post, just didn't know where to put this.

BoatFloating
01-20-2004, 10:46 PM
I think it can only be reprogramed and it's encrypted so the only person I know that can get into them is Merc, GM and Dustin at Whipple also check with Arizona Speed.

Kachina26
01-20-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
I think it can only be reprogramed and it's encrypted so the only person I know that can get into them is Merc, GM and Dustin at Whipple also check with Arizona Speed. I am GM, well......GM technician. I just wanted to see if something like they have for trucks was available for boats. I still want a scantool though, just the technician in me I guess.

LASERRAY
01-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Anyone know if the 555 has a replaceable PROM or is it permanent? If permanent, can it be reflashed? Where can I get a scan too for personal use? Any guesstimates on how much for a scantool? Sorry for the double post, just didn't know where to put this. You Goodwrench guys should know all that.:D

BoatFloating
01-20-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
I am GM, well......GM technician. I just wanted to see if something like they have for trucks was available for boats. I still want a scantool though, just the technician in me I guess.
I'm pretty sure the scan tool is $$$$ As a GM tech you should have the tool I thought to check that motor?????

fourspeednup
01-20-2004, 11:03 PM
You're a tech and don't have a scan tool? What GM's do you work on...nova's?:D

Kachina26
01-20-2004, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by fourspeednup
You're a tech and don't have a scan tool? What GM's do you work on...nova's?:D Nova's or "no vas" which in spanish is "no go":D Na I looked at the diagnostic link and it is much different than the 16 pin connector on my tech 2 plus I would have to program my Tech2 to talk to the mercuiser control module. I have a feeling that even though the hardware is similar, the control systems are much different. I'm not even sure what protocol it uses to communicate data. I would like to learn more about it though.

fourspeednup
01-20-2004, 11:26 PM
I never did invest in one, another tech at work had a nice snap-on one and let me use it whenever. Cool pieces of equipment.:cool:

fourspeednup
01-20-2004, 11:27 PM
Alright I just read through my last post and it could be taken as a little iffy:eek:

28ss
01-21-2004, 11:02 AM
your tech2 will read program. let me check which connecter to use.
I'll also find out what your able to change. the program is set up to be a single fuel map. it takes in variations with map/tmp sensors. but since there is no o2 sensor program is not same as car ECU.
more info to come.

Kachina26
01-21-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks 28, that's the kind of info I'm looking for.