PDA

View Full Version : What About Competitive, or Ellis Boat Trailers?

LASERRAY
01-20-2004, 11:10 PM
Ok, I see alot of praise for Extreme trailers here, and not alot for Zieman. What about Competitive, or Ellis, compared to Zieman?
I originally posed this question in the Zeiman or Extreme post but wasn't getting a response, so here we are.
;)

Dr. Eagle
01-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Sorry, musta dozed off.
I don't know about Ellis, but I have a friend with an eliminator/competitive combo. It is a nice trailer, held up well for over 20 years.
I have a Hensley on my Ultra, and it is of similar design to both Competitive and Extreme. Probably a notch down or so.
I do know Eliminator had a falling out with Competitive about 5 or 6 years ago. I talked to the service manager and I think it had to do with their customer service...(so the story went anyway).

BoatFloating
01-20-2004, 11:23 PM
I had a Competitive on 2 of my boats and I demanded a Extreme on my current boat due the owner of Competitive (Dan) customer service or should I say lack of! I've heard good and bad things about Ellis mostly good....

LASERRAY
01-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
Sorry, musta dozed off.
I don't know about Ellis, but I have a friend with an eliminator/competitive combo. It is a nice trailer, held up well for over 20 years.
I have a Hensley on my Ultra, and it is of similar design to both Competitive and Extreme. Probably a notch down or so.
I do know Eliminator had a falling out with Competitive about 5 or 6 years ago. I talked to the service manager and I think it had to do with their customer service...(so the story went anyway). 1 word, GOLF!:D

Dr. Eagle
01-20-2004, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
1 word, GOLF!:D
Gotcha,
18 holes, to the tit bar (19th hole) etc.!!!

nmboats
01-21-2004, 12:54 AM
I have had two competitive trailers and had problems with both of them. My current boat sits on one now and I am currently having to replace all of the springs because the ones competitive used were only single leaf and not strong enough 1 broke 2 are cracked. I tried to get help from competitive what a f@&#ing joke. Break system problems, barring problems, and a good friend’s competitive trailer had the wrong axils (they bent). I could go on, my next one will be an Extreme.

dc96819
01-21-2004, 05:20 AM
shadow are nice but dont know the prices on them.
http://www.shadowtrailers.com/

Jetdriver
01-21-2004, 06:45 AM
Ellis and Hensley trailers are one and the same. A guy named Chuck used to own the shop. Im not sure if he still does. He supplied trailers to West Coast Ultra. I can tell you that they are a decent trailer, nice equipment no corners cut. Hope this helps!

Dr. Eagle
01-21-2004, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
Ellis and Hensley trailers are one and the same. A guy named Chuck used to own the shop. Im not sure if he still does. He supplied trailers to West Coast Ultra. I can tell you that they are a decent trailer, nice equipment no corners cut. Hope this helps!
You are right, my Hensley is a nice trailer and I didn't know that Ellis had acquired them, I just figured they closed up shop.
Only thing I don't like about the trailer are the Wesbar tail lights. Never have been a fan of those. Now I have them on my Ultra and Sea Doo trailers...:mad:
The paint on it is a little lower quality than the Extreme, but it is still better quality than the likes of DHM or trailrite...(no more mention of the Z word).

SoCalOffshore
01-21-2004, 07:57 AM
I have an Ellis Trailer and it is great. The electric brakes are heavy duty.

Dr. Eagle
01-21-2004, 10:40 AM
SO RD is Ellis a descendent of Hensley as was stated above???

Dr. Eagle
01-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by RiverDave
I dunno... never looked into it. I know Ellis trailers has been in biz for awhile now and they have not had a name change soooo take that for what you will. Perhaps they acquired another trailer mfg? so in that case it'd be the other way around kinda dealio?
I can probably find out if ya want to know.. I'll just call Bob up and ask him?
RD
I was just curious...cuz I now own a Hensley....

Jetdriver
01-21-2004, 11:37 AM
That was the story I was told. That one was a part of the other.

Dr. Eagle
01-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Jetdriver
That was the story I was told. That one was a part of the other.
That is helpful, maybe I should go there for some stainless fenders???
:D

Dr. Eagle
01-21-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by RiverDave
Feners are Fenders.. I'd go wherever you can get the best price on them. :)
RD
Ideas????
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ziggy
01-21-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Eagle
SO RD is Ellis a descendent of Hensley as was stated above???
I'd be curious to know myself. My old trailer was a Hensley and it performed just fine with only one trait that each seemed to posess...sqeaky leaf springs. It did seem to eat tires more than I would have expected though. But as far as its nicely finished welds and fit/finish I'd give it thumbs up.