PDA

View Full Version : Non-marine grade speakers

K9Blitz
01-21-2004, 01:10 AM
I just took delivery of my new Essex and noticed the speakers are not "marine grade" speakers. Should I set myself up for a quick deterioration after a couple of summers on Lake Mohave? They are Alpine 6x9's which sound good for a stock system (which also means they sound good, but I'm not worried about them getting ripped off)
Any input on making them last or bullet proof replacemtents is greatly appreciated.

Outnumbered
01-21-2004, 01:36 AM
I wouldn't worry unless they are in a very wet location. I have been running my Blaupunkt 6x9s under the front and rear seats and JL sub for 3 seasons and they are fine. Inexpensive and sound pretty good. I think the maring stuff is not that good on sound quality especially for the price. Most guys are running automotive audio stuff.
OL

riverbound
01-21-2004, 09:23 AM
We rarely use "marine grade" components in our boat systems. Just make sure whatever you use has rubber surrounds and poly cones and you should be fine. I have been running mbquart non marine in my boat for 5 years now w/ no problems.
congrats on the new boat.

Outnumbered
01-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by riverbound
We rarely use "marine grade" components in our boat systems. Just make sure whatever you use has rubber surrounds and poly cones and you should be fine. I have been running mbquart non marine in my boat for 5 years now w/ no problems.
congrats on the new boat.
Ya, forgot to mention that the 6x9's have poly (plastic) cones instead of paper. The sub is in a dry location--no worries.
OL

BoatFloating
01-21-2004, 03:33 PM
The only difference between Marine grade and speakers these days are the white color and the price and sound quality. I don't know of any good speaker not made of poly anymore. A marine speaker cost more and the sound is not as good.

ROZ
01-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by BoatFloating
The only difference between Marine grade and speakers these days are the white color and the price and sound quality. I don't know of any good speaker not made of poly anymore. A marine speaker cost more and the sound is not as good.
Not neceessarily..... Most new "marine" speakers have screw through bezels and grills :p :D

rivercrazy
01-21-2004, 04:30 PM
I agree! I had some Marine Infinity Kappa 692M's in my old boat. They were pretty much the same cone as the previous generation Kappa's but in a nice looking white plastic molded grills that are screwed in without a removable speaker grill. The only difference is they used a silk dome tweet instead of a EMIT titanium tweet. They sounded great but they charge quite a bit more $$$$$ for the marine speaker versus auto of similar quality.
I put auto's in the new boat and have been running them without any issues. But the newer Kappas have a aluminim coated woofer and titanium tweets.

Interceptor454
01-21-2004, 06:28 PM
I've had very good luck with Sony X-plodes, screw thru grills and all. Not to mention, they match the red boat perfectly!! But, be careful, some of them are not poly and have foam surrounds.
You guys are right on the money about the poly cones, and rubber surround (not foam). The sun and water really kills 'em.
Anyone else out there running the 'combo' starting/deep cycle batts? Haven't stepped up to the optima's yet, but the combo batts do very well, and haven't left me stranded yet!

BoatFloating
01-21-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
Not neceessarily..... Most new "marine" speakers have screw through bezels and grills :p :D
Oh yeah! I forgot and you can run a waterfall thru them and they still work:yuk:

rivercrazy
01-21-2004, 08:42 PM
LMAO! :D

ROZ
01-22-2004, 02:18 PM
Oh yeah! I forgot and you can run a waterfall thru them and they still work:yuk:
Depends, How many gallons per min. ? ;)
Atleast the screw on grills work.... :rolleyes:

BoatFloating
01-22-2004, 08:01 PM
:wink: Your killing me Roz. Hey if I sell my current boat I'm looking to do a system in the new one. I'll do most of the work but what do you think of San Diego Car Stereo, the one in Poway. I'm looking at JL amps the new JL w3's and looking at the new Boston's. I hear the sound good and do good with volume. I'm trying to keep my costs down since the new boat is costing $$$$ What do you think......

Havasu Hangin'
01-22-2004, 08:08 PM
What do you think......
Go W7's...or go home.

mbrown2
01-22-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
Go W7's...or go home.
From some folks that are running W7's with lots of power, they second guess themselves on going with W6's...just a more natural sounding bass.....:confused:

Havasu Hangin'
01-23-2004, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by mbrown2
From some folks that are running W7's with lots of power, they second guess themselves on going with W6's...just a more natural sounding bass.....
Natural? What the hell is that? Did you decorate your boat from the Martha Stewart collection?
Since mbrown2 obviously had his system designed by Christopher Lowell...
http://christopherlowell.com/images/contactus-clpc.jpg
...he probably (http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/brahma.avi) wouldn't like (http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/ExplorerRoofBrahma.AVI) these (http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/ScottieJBrahmasBreakingDoors.wmv):
http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/drivers/new_b12_iso.jpg (http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/drivers/brahma_power_handling.htm)
To go with those subs...you'll need a couple of these (http://www.jbl.com/car/products/a6000gti.asp)...

mbrown2
01-23-2004, 08:38 AM
Not my cup of tea.....now on the next segment, we will figure out how to make a life preserver out of a coffee table doily:D

ROZ
01-23-2004, 09:39 AM
what do you think of San Diego Car Stereo, the one in Poway.
Do you know Stan or just want to use his shop?

BoatFloating
01-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by ROZ
Do you know Stan or just want to use his shop?
Thanks for the PM, I know Josh the manager there.
HH, the W7's or the W6's are the way to go no doubt but the money tree isn't growing that well...... I think the W3's will work just fine in a boat in a closed deck. I don't want to start backing screws out:frown:

ROZ
01-23-2004, 11:57 AM
W7's or the W6's are the way to go no doubt but the money tree isn't growing that well
hummmmmm :cool:

Havasu Hangin'
01-23-2004, 06:45 PM
HH, the W7's or the W6's are the way to go no doubt but the money tree isn't growing that well.....
What? So the bad economy hurtin' yer big pimpin?
In all seriousness...since there are no accoustics in boats...I wonder why they're aren't that many 6,000+ watt boats with only two killer subs (W7's, Brahmas, Juggs, etc.) like the car guys....
...ever seen dry rot in a concrete box?

BoatFloating
01-23-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by ROZ
hummmmmm :cool:
Well the tree might just of got water:D
What? So the bad economy hurtin' yer big pimpin?
This grocery strike has cost everyone and my bonus just got smaller because of the last qtr.....
So if you had a choice 2 W7's or 4 W3's?????

Havasu Hangin'
01-23-2004, 07:04 PM
So if you had a choice 2 W7's or 4 W3's?????
If I had the power and the box...I'd go W7's.
I'd try to keep my sub/component watt ratio around 2/1...so if you're putting 3,000 watts to a couple W7's...then you'll need 1,500 watts worth of components minimum to keep up...that's a big system (you'll need 12-2 volt batteries...or whatever you antiquated-technology golf cart guys use).
Less power and shallower boxes...I'd go W3's.
I heard those Oompa Loompas can really get down with thier bad selves...

rivercrazy
01-23-2004, 08:11 PM
I heard those Elemental Designs, Bramha's, and JBL GTi's get pretty damn loud. Go big!

BoatFloating
01-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
If I had the power and the box...I'd go W7's.
(you'll need 12-2 volt batteries...or whatever you antiquated-technology golf cart guys use).
See that's why I'm going with 10,000 9v Duracell's.
I heard those Oompa Loompas can really get down with thier bad selves...
We call that freaky deaky....... It's good to be tiny when your dancing with a tall chick you can tell her " Gee your hair smells terrific" if you know what I mean!
Less power and shallower boxes...I'd go W3's.
That sounds 2/1 to me...... 1000/1 then 300/4 X2 for the componets.... I want the boat to float brother!