PDA

View Full Version : Military Apache at Work

spectratoad
01-22-2004, 09:08 AM
Not sure where this video was taken but I can guess. It is pretty wild. Hope the link works.
As Tom Brown pointed out I should put that dislaimer in.
This is live footage of human beings getting killed. Watch at your own risk.
Apache Video (http://home.comcast.net/~e.franzen/224Helicopter_Kills.mpeg) :eek: :eek:

Havasu Cig
01-22-2004, 09:18 AM
I could not get the link to work, but it might be my computer. I tryed to post this a few days agao, and Havasu Hangin tryed to help, but I could not get it to work then either. I have the file on my computer, but can't post it.
It is an awesome video though. I believe it is one of the 1st Cav's Apaches.

spectratoad
01-22-2004, 09:23 AM
I wasn't sure if I should post it or not. It is pretty graphic as far as black & white and nightime video can get but war is ugly.
I tested it and can open it but if nobody can open it let me know and I will either delete the thread or try to fix it.

Boozer
01-22-2004, 09:28 AM
its working for me

OGShocker
01-22-2004, 09:29 AM
I am glad they are on our side.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-22-2004, 09:40 AM
This was posted earlier under the topic "These Guys Are Toast."

THOR
01-22-2004, 09:41 AM
Those guys got totally f'd up.

Tom Brown
01-22-2004, 10:10 AM
I had a smart assed comment cued up to send but thought I should watch the video first. I'm roughly speechless now.
That footage is absolutely severe.
Anyone considering watching this should know that it is live footage (night vision) of humans being killed by fire from an Apache chain gun.
:(

Caribbean Jet
01-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Our Service men and women are some tough M%$%^&^
F&^^$%. You wonder why some of them come back messed up.

HyRider15
01-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Scarry...
Way too much like a big video game

clownpuncher
01-22-2004, 10:56 AM
Definately a graphic video. Amazing footage. I'd be interested to know what the cirumstances were.

MudPumper
01-22-2004, 12:17 PM
The gun they are using is a 30mm Chain gun. It is intended for use against light armored vehicles but as you can see it is extremely effective aginst softer targets. To aim the gun, all the gunner has to do is look at the target. He has a sighting retical mounted on his helmet and there are sensors in the cockpit that detect the movement of his head and a computer aims the gun. If the sights are off even 1 degree, the computer shuts down the weapon system. A friend of my dad was an Apache pilot during the first Gulf war and gave him a copy of some Gun camera footage similar to that one. Getting hit by just one 30mm round would tear you in two pieces.

JakeAisA
01-22-2004, 12:19 PM
This is why we win wars in one week. This is why we lose a few hundred men in the first Gulf War and the Iraqi's loose 100,000. This is why the world shouldn't **** with us and why the ass backwards islamofascists need to change thier ways...or die.

BUSTI
01-22-2004, 12:24 PM
Now you know why the war in Iraq only lasted days! Our willingness to use superior men and machines to secure a swift victory is a credit to the men and women actually fighting the war, and the men and women that have the will politically to plan and run this campaign. Namely President Bush, VP Cheney and Secy, Rumsfield.
Although terrible that people have to die in this conflict ...it is better to watch that video of the enemy dieing then it was of our people having to jump out their windows to escape the fire and the burning of the World Trade Center on 911! Every time I see a service man in uniform, regardless of where I am, I promptly walk up to them and say THANK YOU!
God Bless America and all those service men and women that keep us free!

Boozer
01-22-2004, 12:35 PM
That video is bad ass.
I have watched it like 15 times at least. The black and white takes away a lot of the gore factor. But you can still see the person splatted on the ground or at least whats left of them. I imagine that chain gun pretty much mutilates a body.
Cool Video! Thanks!

MudPumper
01-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Sorry to make this video more graphic for you but check this out. The camera footage you are watching is from a FLIR system. It detects heat. Anything in the video that is a bright white, like the engines in the trucks and the faces of the men, is hot. Watch the video again and pay attention to the spot where the first guy gets hit. After the second guy gets hit, the camera pans right and left over the spot where the first guy got hit, all the white stuff you see on the ground is boddy tissue from the guy literally being blown apart. If you are a sick **** like me and watch it over and over again, you will be able to see parts flying through the air as they are hit.

Boozer
01-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by MudPumper
Sorry to make this video more graphic for you but check this out. The camera footage you are watching is from a FLIR system. It detects heat. Anything in the video that is a bright white, like the engines in the trucks and the faces of the men, is hot. Watch the video again and pay attention to the spot where the first guy gets hit. After the second guy gets hit, the camera pans right and left over the spot where the first guy got hit, all the white stuff you see on the ground is boddy tissue from the guy literally being blown apart. If you are a sick **** like me and watch it over and over again, you will be able to see parts flying through the air as they are hit.
You get a good view at 28 seconds into the video :)

BBB
01-22-2004, 01:11 PM
It looks like they're taking out a bunch of farmers... If you look at the terrain and the pattern the the vehicle on the far left is leaving it appears to be some type of tractor towing a discing implement. Not that the enemy can't be farmers I guess I was expecting to see tanks or artillery.

Slick
01-22-2004, 01:27 PM
I love the guy at the end trying to craw behind the smaller truck.

hd&boatrider
01-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by spectratoad
Not sure where this video was taken but I can guess. It is pretty wild. Hope the link works.
As Tom Brown pointed out I should put that dislaimer in.
This is live footage of human beings getting killed. Watch at your own risk.
Apache Video (http://home.comcast.net/~e.franzen/224Helicopter_Kills.mpeg) :eek: :eek:
I got it to work....pretty wild. Those guys had 0 chance of getting out of that one.....

Hotcrusader76
01-22-2004, 01:43 PM
What impressed me is the level of professionalism those two pilots maintained during the operation. Clean, concise, and to the point.
Yes it's sad to see someone loose their life, but that's war! It was either them or us...
~10 Years Navy SPECWAR Military Veteran
~Ty

MudPumper
01-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by BBB
It looks like they're taking out a bunch of farmers... If you look at the terrain and the pattern the the vehicle on the far left is leaving it appears to be some type of tractor towing a discing implement. Not that the enemy can't be farmers I guess I was expecting to see tanks or artillery.
It does look like maybe they were farming. Maybe they were trying to grow Weapons of Mass Destruction!!!!

Havasu Cig
01-22-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by BBB
During the first Gulf War the Iraqi's used several different types of vehicles to transport munitions ect... We shot up Suburbans, American made trucks ect... I don't think they were "farmers".
MudPumper has some good info. in The unit I was with we had Cobra's instead of Apaches. Similar Helmet Sighting System, FLIR, 20 mm Gatlin instead of the 30mm Chain Gun that the Apache has ect...but the Apache is a far more advanced helicopter.
I flew in an OH-58 (we fly with one-two gunships and spot targets, draw fire ect...) during the first Gulf War, and participated in some similar missions. Very brutal as you can tell from the video, but neccessary imo.

kc607
01-22-2004, 01:56 PM
I looked and I don't see any tractor. Looks like artillary to me. I also didn't see any raised arms! Go USA!!

BBB
01-22-2004, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Havasu Cig
[B]During the first Gulf War the Iraqi's used several different types of vehicles to transport munitions ect... We shot up Suburbans, American made trucks ect... I don't think they were "farmers".
Yeah I get your point and I'm not questioning the action one bit. A lot of our "farmers" "Husbands" "wives" etc. are over there in uniform fighting for what is right and I support them and our President 100%.
Just making an observation. That's a tractor plowing a field. Wouldn't doubt that they are hostile at all.

MudPumper
01-22-2004, 06:35 PM
I think it definitely is a tractor doing some kind of work in a field, but let me ask you this. How many farmers do you know that plow a field at night???????

Havasu Hangin'
01-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Someone posted on another site that those Iraqis were firing at US troops across a river...

wsuwrhr
01-22-2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by MudPumper
The gun they are using is a 30mm Chain gun. It is intended for use against light armored vehicles but as you can see it is extremely effective aginst softer targets. To aim the gun, all the gunner has to do is look at the target. He has a sighting retical mounted on his helmet and there are sensors in the cockpit that detect the movement of his head and a computer aims the gun. If the sights are off even 1 degree, the computer shuts down the weapon system. A friend of my dad was an Apache pilot during the first Gulf war and gave him a copy of some Gun camera footage similar to that one. Getting hit by just one 30mm round would tear you in two pieces.
That is a big ****ing projectile. That bullet is 1-3/16 diameter.
Imagine something with a diameter larger than a quarter comming at you on fire.
Does anyone know the muzzle velocity?
Brian

MudPumper
01-22-2004, 08:40 PM
The M230 chain gun on the Apache fires two different rounds. The PGU-13/B Armor Piercing Incendiary which is a depleted uranium round, and the PGU-14/B High Explosive Incendiary. Not only will the 30mm round by itself rip you in two, the round is High Explosive on contact. The muzzle velocity on the round is 3325fps and has an effective range of 4000 meters.

MudPumper
01-22-2004, 08:42 PM
The M230 chain gun
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3033Apache_Chain_Gun1-med.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3033Apache_Chain_Gun.jpg

Wet Dream
01-22-2004, 09:09 PM
I'd want to be on this side of the camera myself. :D In the video, where were the first rounds being fired at? You can hear the shots, but not see anything getting hit.
At a maximum of 4000 meters, I guess you would know there is a helicopter out there from the rotor noise, but maybe they didn't suspect they were being targeted until the first hits were made. Even then they didn't seem to be in a panic.

MudPumper
01-22-2004, 09:24 PM
The gunner manually ranged the first burst, if you listen, the pilot tells him to "auto range" a computer uses a laser range finder to calculate distance and aim the weapon system.

Wet Dream
01-22-2004, 09:29 PM
I hear ya. Although we can't tell from here unless those engines were running on those trucks, you would think that those guys would have heard it all.

MudPumper
01-22-2004, 09:58 PM
"Take a look to the sky just before you die............It's the last time you will" Metallica, For whom the bell tolls

Craig
01-23-2004, 10:58 AM
Not to get off the subject and hijack a thread, but if you guys think that 30 is a cool gun, go and do a search for "metal storm". You'll have to wade through some music stuff in the hits, but it's also an expermental "gun". It has multible barrels with shells that are cartrdgless and are fired electrically. It's main use may some day be missle defense, but they do some cool demo with smaller caliber. I'd link it but can't access it from work. So how much can it fire? Consider a Phalanx gun shoots 4500 rounds per minute. The video's you can watch show 600 rounds per minute for comparison and them 30,000 60,000 and the 1 million rounds per minute (if you could feed it) :eek: Search the video out, it's worth it.
Craig

Havasu Cig
01-23-2004, 11:28 AM
The fully articulated rotor system on the Apache is actually very quiet, much quieter that a semi rigid system thet you would find on a Huey, Cobra ect...
As far as the first bust not impacting the targets, MP hit it on the nose. Once they went to the auto range finder they were very accurate.
One of our Cobras was trying to hit some Iraqi Infantry when we were on a probing mission before the ground war. The auto range finder was broken, so the gunner was forced to manually set the range before firing rockets. It took a 1/2 dozen rockets or so before they were able to get the range right. They were forced to fire and then adjust based on where they impacted. estimating range at those distances is extremely difficult.

Tom Brown
01-23-2004, 11:36 AM
Hey MudPumper, thanks for the details. Interesting.

MagicMtnDan
01-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Craig
Not to get off the subject and hijack a thread, but if you guys think that 30 is a cool gun, go and do a search for "metal storm". You'll have to wade through some music stuff in the hits, but it's also an expermental "gun". It has multible barrels with shells that are cartrdgless and are fired electrically. It's main use may some day be missle defense, but they do some cool demo with smaller caliber. I'd link it but can't access it from work. So how much can it fire? Consider a Phalanx gun shoots 4500 rounds per minute. The video's you can watch show 600 rounds per minute for comparison and them 30,000 60,000 and the 1 million rounds per minute (if you could feed it) :eek: Search the video out, it's worth it.
Craig
Link to article on CNN about the metal storm gun (http://www.cnn.com/2003/BUSINESS/06/26/australia.metalstorm/)
Metal Storm's Web site - click on the video tab at the top of the home page to see how their technology works (http://www.metalstorm.com/)