PDA

View Full Version : Does it really make sense to own a boat??????

Tab
01-22-2004, 08:48 PM
The wife, kids(7 and 9), and I go to Havasu 3 to 4 times a year(for 3 to 5 days per trip). Once a year to Shaver Lake for 5 to 7 days. Once a year to Shasta for 5 to 7 days. And, we would like to add 3 to 5 trips a year to Catalina. In the past we have rented pontoon, alumi's, or ski boats to accomodate our boating needs. I gather from our boat owning friends that many of them don't use their boats a lot more than the # of days we rent/yr. So, owning in this seemingly somewhat common use scinario doesn't seem to pencil. However, for some frickin reason, I feel the NEED to own????? So................ Why do I wan't to, and why are so many, spending $40k to $150k on a boat that they generally know they will only use 20 or so days a year?????????

Havasu Hangin'
01-22-2004, 08:51 PM
How would you like to lease a DCB for a few weeks per year?

Sleek-Jet
01-22-2004, 08:51 PM
No.
We own boats for the same reason people own racecars, airplanes, horses, ect....
We like them, we think they're cool, and you can't save all your money. :D

mbrown2
01-22-2004, 08:53 PM
Your first problem is trying to logically justify having a boat...the ROI does not make sense with a boat......can't even imagine what it cost to have a boat when I factor in the river house and such...don't even want to know..
Now the ROE (Return on Emotion or Return on Enjoyment) is where it does make sense....and is worth it:D

Kim Hanson
01-22-2004, 08:54 PM
I love boating, the other thing is " asset's ', you can never own enough of them...........( . )( . ).......:)

Fiat48
01-22-2004, 09:09 PM
Don't bring things like common sense here! Everything I have is totaly justified!:rolleyes: There could be a flood and I want to be the first down to safety. And I am sure there are other reasons. Just give me time to justify it. :D

CEO
01-22-2004, 09:13 PM
How bout getting using the Money for your self instead of giving it to Uncle Sam, and then writing off the interest:D :D
Ok, wife said I couldn't have a 69, 396 - 4 speed Camero Indy Pace car for 32k that I REALLY wanted. "it's not for the family."
So You spend more than twice that much for a floating device that attracts drunken naked Women... 'OK"

redneckgirl
01-22-2004, 09:15 PM
I think most boat owners use their boats more than 20 days a year, at least I know we do. One day on the lake/ocean is better than a day at work!!! We don't do expensive vacations (cruises, trips to Hawaii, Bahamas,etc). Our vacations are weekends and weekdays on the lake. We spent our money up front for our boat "21' Shockwave Step Skier" so our trips to the lake are not very expensive. We paid cash for our boat, so a one day vacation is 40 mnutes from our door. What is that worth, it is priceless? I know it sounds like a commercial!!! We even put 3-1/2 hours on our boat last weekend. IMHO.:D :D :D
RNG

fourspeednup
01-22-2004, 09:19 PM
Hey man, if anyone shouldn't own a boat in here it's me. I just turned 19, go to school full time and have very little money from working only on breaks. Unfortunately for me, I have this horrible addiction to water and going fast a lot like most of the other members. It makes no sense whatsoever for me to have something that I can barely afford to use but I figured out a way to do it anyhow. A boat doesn't have to cost $150K, I have great fun with my $3000 jet.:cool:

Tab
01-22-2004, 09:20 PM
You're crowin' me, guys. I had not yet heard the ROE concept, but I definately hear where you're comming from!! I do have toys, just not this sort yet. And yes, I do find that regularly reality often times gets in the way of .............what the hell am I saying..............I NEED a freeeeekin' boat.....I'm diggin' Pantera's for some reason........Any reason to buy one here on the West Coast???(no dealer network(re warranty work), no name recognition(re resale value), but definately seem to be bad ass boats.....

redneckgirl
01-22-2004, 09:22 PM
CEO when will your DCB be done. That is the initials of our son, so he/we are very interested in DCB's.
We were at Naci last weekend and a DCB was leaving the lake before noon being pulled by a black 4x4 pickup. Any body know who it was?? Good looking boat whoever it was..
RNG

JetBoatRich
01-22-2004, 09:24 PM
I wonder the same thing when things act up on the boat or major problems:mad:
Might be easier to be a passenger:wink:
No, that won't work:D we love our boats

BGMAN203
01-22-2004, 09:30 PM
I bet if you owned a boat you would end up going out on the water more times per year. Not because you feel like you have to use the boat, but because its there and alot easier to just hook up to it and go, rather than making reservations to rent one. Plus it gives you something to **** with rather than mowing the lawn or some other stupid shit the wife would like for ya to do.

Tab
01-22-2004, 09:34 PM
How many days a year do you(all) use your boat???????

TRG
01-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Plus it gives you something to **** with rather than mowing the lawn or some other stupid shit the wife would like for ya to do.
AINT THAT THE TRUTH!!LOL

j-rod
01-22-2004, 09:46 PM
If I didn't own a boat, it would cost me more $ to rent a boat for the weekend or 5 days, then to have one, I think if you have one & keep it and you'll use it . no matter how many times a year you use it"s worth it. It's hard for me to get away during the summer and I can only get out 5 times a year and I think that is average..The guy I bought mine from said he only went 5 times a year. If"s a good time and you can afford it' I think it's worth it ! ;)

svlperry
01-22-2004, 09:54 PM
i'm on the river every weekend from the begining of march to the last weekend in september and sometimes later

Boozer
01-22-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Tab
I can't speak on behalf of the west coat guys because they have a lot longer boating season then I do. Boating season here starts in mid april and goes until early September.
Last summer I ran the boat 3 weekends a month and had it on the water twice for 4 days straight. I'm young and single so it's a lot easier for me to just up and go whenever I please then someone who's got a family but regardless, boat ownership is well worth it.
If you can't justify spending 40k on a boat then don't feel like you're alone. My boat brand new only cost me 14k. It's by no means fancy but it works and I run the hell out of it. It was also my first boat and I have made a lot of mistakes with it, a lot of mistakes I am very happy to have made in it versus a 40K+ boat.
Buy something cheap and run for it a season or 2. If you use the hell out of it go buy something nicer.
I'm running my boat one last season and it's going to be sold and replaced. I'll hopefully have a better idea of what it's going to be replaced with after this weekend.

CMABadseed
01-22-2004, 10:01 PM
you may use the thing 20 days a year......so you think, but wait until it sits in the garage and looks at you everytime you come hhome and BEGS to be taken out...no doubt that those weekdends will double at least. it's real easy to go when its right there for you!

hd&boatrider
01-22-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Tab
The wife, kids(7 and 9), and I go to Havasu 3 to 4 times a year(for 3 to 5 days per trip). Once a year to Shaver Lake for 5 to 7 days. Once a year to Shasta for 5 to 7 days. And, we would like to add 3 to 5 trips a year to Catalina. In the past we have rented pontoon, alumi's, or ski boats to accomodate our boating needs. I gather from our boat owning friends that many of them don't use their boats a lot more than the # of days we rent/yr. So, owning in this seemingly somewhat common use scinario doesn't seem to pencil. However, for some frickin reason, I feel the NEED to own????? So................ Why do I wan't to, and why are so many, spending $40k to $150k on a boat that they generally know they will only use 20 or so days a year?????????
Myself I use my boat for months...not 20 days. It is paid for and provides me with much joy and entertainment. Sounds like you need more time off to enjoy the other things in life :). Worth it, by far!

Scream
01-22-2004, 10:07 PM
A different rationale...Since you live in Chino Hills, you'll definately need a boat to get around in when the big one hits...
A good friend told me one day as we were ridin in his 26 Hallet (what a dream machine) that boating was something he did for his family. He bought the boat and bought into the lifestyle, the boat brought his family closer together because it was something they all enjoyed from day one. My friend still has his 26 Hallet, his daughter and son-in-law just bought thier own 30' and they still spend most of thier family time on the water. Generation 3 is getting into the act, learning to ski, tubing, and generally having fun...
You've got two things here, earthquake survival and family togetherness...what more could you want?:wink:

HotRod Sprint
01-22-2004, 10:10 PM
Tab, I have wanted to have my own boat for literally half of my life. Well I just recently made that dream come true. Can I justify owning it, NO. There are all kinds of things I could more realistically use my money for. But some of my fondest memories growing up was spending summers on the lake with my Grandad boating, fishing, skiing, just spending time together. I hope to create those same kind of memories with my children, and some day hopefully not in the near future, my grandchildren. you've had those experiences with rentals, but half of the fun of ownership is the personalization of making it your OWN boat, and some of that will come from good times spent with friends and family. As for how much mine will get used, I hope every week, but however much it will still be time spent having fun and making memories. Just my nickles worth.
Rod :D

bordsmnj
01-22-2004, 10:14 PM
checked my hour meter the other day out in he drive way and it's at 128 hours.we took delivery of our boat in late april. so, i'm guessing we were out about 30-40 days. i still think owning is worth it.:D

Boozer
01-22-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Scream
A different rationale...Since you live in Chino Hills, you'll definately need a boat to get around in when the big one hits...
A good friend told me one day as we were ridin in his 26 Hallet (what a dream machine) that boating was something he did for his family. He bought the boat and bought into the lifestyle, the boat brought his family closer together because it was something they all enjoyed from day one. My friend still has his 26 Hallet, his daughter and son-in-law just bought thier own 30' and they still spend most of thier family time on the water. Generation 3 is getting into the act, learning to ski, tubing, and generally having fun...
You've got two things here, earthquake survival and family togetherness...what more could you want?:wink:
I have to second the family togetherness notion.
My family out here has always been pretty tight nit. However the family would do things for a night like once a month. Now that I have the boat my whole family goes camping a lot more often together. It's a lot of fun and brought the family even closer together. A lot of my family is petrified of the boat and wont get on it when im driving because the last time i took my grandparents out on it they were almost ejected from the boat but regardless they still go camping with us and we have a LOT of fun that we would not have had if it were not for having the boat.
Also, when taking family members on their maiden voyage in your new boat don't forget to drop the trim all the way down. I thought my mother was going to have a heart attack when I left the trim up and her first boating experience was looking straight up into the night time sky.

mbrown2
01-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Tab
How many days a year do you(all) use your boat??????? 60-80 days depending on the year....and that's not enough...

hd&boatrider
01-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by bordsmnj
checked my hour meter the other day out in he drive way and it's at 128 hours.we took delivery of our boat in late april. so, i'm guessing we were out about 30-40 days. i still think owning is worth it.:D
Hey there Jas....hope things are well.

UltraHavaTrash
01-22-2004, 10:25 PM
I can tell you that when me and the wife had our fist kid, I felt we needed something to do together so we bougth a boat - an 87 Formula. Like the others said, this was only the beginning Next thing was the travel trailer, then a Mobile home at havasu, 2 golf carts and now a new Ultra. Do I regret owning a boat - Never! I now use it 30-40 times per year and love evey outing and have met the best people doing it.
My Formula cost me $9,500 - I did no investment other than elbow grease and then sold it for $11,000 - so the cost can be managed, especially if you go with a party boat.
The thrill of boating, even at my slow speeds of 65-70 can't be described and the ability to get away, the relaxation, the good times and all that goes with a Havasu weekend allws me to play hard and get away from the work hard lifestyle -- It makes it all worth while.
I'm sure the guys pushing 100 mph have even more to say about that...you can't rationalize owning, it just gets in your blood!

jbtrailerjim
01-22-2004, 10:46 PM
I love owning a boat. I've been around them my whole life. I don't get to use it as much as I would like to. The last few summers I have not been out as much because my wife and I have two small children now. But I think were done with having anymore so now we can start gettin the boat out more. I plan on useing the new Ultra a lot this summer.

Checkmate
01-23-2004, 05:40 AM
Can you justify the cost of cable t.v. ? How about your $50 per month internet hook ups ? Ya think it's not much, but add all of these thing up over lets say 20 years and it is a big deal, but who cares ? As long as I can live from day to day and have fun at the same time I am happy.
Sometimes having a boat seems more of a hassle than others, but I wouldn't change a thing.
I bought my jetboat to have fun and go fast, then when the wife was pregnant we decided to get a 21' cabin cruiser since she couldn't take the ride of the jet, then we bought a jet ski and plan on getting another one next year. Point is, I never think about all the money "wasted" on fun.
My dad never spent his money on nice things, unless they were tools. His plan was to be worth 1 mil by the time he was 55. He was doing well and it would have happened until 3 years ago at age 46 his 2nd wife decided that she wanted 1/2 of everything, alimony, and child support for their two kids. He used to bitch at me for spending my $ on toys. The last time he bitched I said, yeah look how well saving $$ did for you. He since has changed his point of view and actually came water skiing last year. I couldn't believe he got up on the first try.

Kachina26
01-23-2004, 05:55 AM
Let me ask you this. Can you justify working if all you have to show for it is food, shelter and a nest egg to provide those same things when you are old? Some people ask me "how can you spend all that money on a boat?", and I tell them "because I enjoy it". They spend their money on season tickets to ball games or season passes to recreation parks or tickets to get the family of 7 back east for some holiday, I spend it on the boat. As long as you take care of the important stuff like making that nest egg, there is nothing wrong with a little fun.

Havasu Cig
01-23-2004, 07:46 AM
You only live once, and you never know when it might end. If owning a boat is fun for you and your family, and you can afford it, I think it is worth it.
When we were just doing Fresh water boating we were getting on the water about two weekends amonth from April-november. Now that we are running in th ocean we are getting out much more.
Pretty cool when you can be at work on a friday and decide to go spend the weekend at Catalina and leave the next morning. If I did not spend the $$$ on the boat it would be something else.

Caribbean Jet
01-23-2004, 08:32 AM
We own them and other toys because we want to and we can. I read a study on Motor homes and how long it will take to get your money out of them. You would have to use it at least once a month every month for 10years with out staying in a hotel and eating out while you use it. Now this is an extreme study and I'm sure they meant if you bought a new motor home. Now to bring this back around to where we started, we may not use our boats every weekend but if we want to we can. I understand your questioning of owning a boat because they can be expensive

coolchange
01-23-2004, 08:48 AM
I just dont "feel" right unless I have a boat. Even if its just a pile of parts. Pencil this- I have a friend with 4 (four) boats. And not a yard of dead dock bangers either. 2 are turboed, 1runner bottom, and a mini clamp-on that scares the crap out of me. Now heres the kicker, in 10 years he prolly averages 1 trip ayear, not per boat, per year.:rolleyes:

JakeAisA
01-23-2004, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by mbrown2
Your first problem is trying to logically justify having a boat...the ROI does not make sense with a boat......can't even imagine what it cost to have a boat when I factor in the river house and such...don't even want to know..
Now the ROE (Return on Emotion or Return on Enjoyment) is where it does make sense....and is worth it:D
This is Reason at it's finest...nice work mbrown2.
If you're having fun with a rented boat...just wait until you get a new one that is all yours. You have to pay for fun some times (I'm talking about toys you pervs) and the bigger toys are a whole lot more fun for sure.

PerfectionDtail
01-23-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Tab
I paid 6 figures for my new boat and have only had it out 3 times since October. My insurance is stupid high and the whole thing does not make sense. I could rent 3 boats every time I go to the lake for what I almost pay in fuel.
Something about the whole ownership thing that I love about it. I like it when it is "mine." Boating is in NO WAY logical.
TAB, you are in a dollar and cents business, you CANT look at it this way. If anything, find a partner that you can trust. I am too anal about stuff to share but you might be able to. 1/2 a payment is more logical that a full payment.
Also, I wouldn't buy a used boat off of the east coast. Those boats spend all of their time in salt water and people do get lazy. They might have not flushed the boat each time and so forth. Stick to the West coast when buying a boat.

HighRoller
01-23-2004, 09:29 AM
If you're having fun with a rented boat...just wait until you get a new one that is all yours
It doesn't even have to be a "new" one to enjoy. We never had the luxury of a new boat when I was growing up and we still had a ball. Boats are not like cars. They often last 10-20 years or more. If you are impatient and in a hurry to "find" a boat that's fancy and will impress people you'll pay out the ass. If you be patient and wait for a good deal it will come along. It might not be a brand new DCB, but a couple year old Eliminator or Ultra still ain't too shabby. Cruise Boattrader and Ebay and you'll see.

rivercrazy
01-23-2004, 09:34 AM
Everyone has basically hit it on the head here. It doesn't make logical sense in many ways to own a boat. But its that way with many things in life. If you make logical decisions about every dollar spent, life would be absolutely no fun at all......

91nordic29
01-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Tab
as many as we possibly can! owning your own boat has alot of advantages. for one thing, IT'S YOURS. you can have all your gear stored in it and nobody else is using it. the bigger the boat, the more STUFF you can haul around. (my hubby informed me the other day tht there are now 10 rolls of tp in the cabinet!WT?????i must grab one "just in case" everytime we go! kinda funny.

welk2party
01-23-2004, 09:42 AM
It is definitely a luxury item...like motorcycles, atvs, snad rails, etc.. The wife and I love our boat and have been baoting our whole lives. Cannot imagine a life without it.

twistedpair
01-23-2004, 10:00 AM
It makes no sense whatsoever. But, I'm not a very sensible guy! Watching the sun go down from the middle of a lake on a hot summer night, makes it worth every penny to me! Those kind of memories get me through those annoying times, like work or winter.

ROZ
01-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by BGMAN203
...rather than mowing the lawn... That's what pools are for... No more lawn to mow! :D

ROZ
01-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by 91nordic29
my hubby informed me the other day tht there are now 10 rolls of tp in the cabinet!WT?????i
You must drink Sierra Nevada when at the lake..... :D

shadow
01-23-2004, 03:23 PM
my boat rarely sits for 20 days without being used. once you got the fever your through.

BUSTI
01-23-2004, 03:50 PM
When buying a boat you cannot use the same quanitative mechanics when chosing an investment. Investment implies potential growth of value. We buy boats knowing they will depreciate and we don't care! we buy them for the fun...cuz brother they are just pre expenses and worth every penney ..and thats what I think.
Boating is my hobby, my fun, my stress reliever, my passion, my love, and the glue that has made my sons and I so close when it came to recreation. Even though they are grown men we still go boating to the river together at ;east 15 weekends per year!

mirvin
01-23-2004, 03:56 PM
If it's sitting in your driveway you'll find yourself taking day trips and weekends to the local lakes in addtition to your planned vacations:D

JetBoatRich
01-23-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by mirvin
If it's sitting in your driveway you'll find yourself taking day trips and weekends to the local lakes in addtition to your planned vacations:D
Flake, how was your GIG. We missed you speaking of local trips. A great turn out, if you would have made it :) 10 boats in all.

BUSTI
01-23-2004, 04:03 PM
I have had so many boats since my first in 1968...it was a Rogers and Roger even delivered it to my house! Since then my brother and my father in law and I have had 3 Sangers, 4 Rogers, 1 Cheyene, 3 Eliminators, 1 Lichfield, 1 Southwind, 1 Howard, 1 Holiday, 1 CrestCraft and 1 Spectra 20!
And when the Spectra is done i will be in the market for a used Sea Ray 32 Sundancer. I just love boats. Oh ya I am looking for a used pontoon boat also 20 to 24 footer.

mirvin
01-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by JetBoatRich
Flake, how was your GIG. We missed you speaking of local trips. A great turn out, if you would have made it :) 10 boats in all.
The gig was great! I'm still bummed about missing you guys though:rolleyes: I got a gig tonight and Saturday night also. Both in OC.
You gonna make it out to Elsinore end of March? (RWYB)??
Mirvin;)

NorCal Gameshow
01-23-2004, 04:16 PM
it's nice to be able to hook the boat up, grab some food and have dinner on the lake. we can go for a couple hours or a couple days whenever we want...that's not so easy when you have to rent.

CEO
01-23-2004, 04:18 PM
RedNeckGirl, the boat should be delivered the 28th of Febuary, if it takes longer that will save me some cash on storage:)
Pat

redneckgirl
01-23-2004, 06:24 PM
CEO, Congrats can't wait to see pictures.
RNG

cheezpanel
01-23-2004, 08:12 PM
I'm with the family thing too....at least to JUSTIFY owning a boat. I'm on my 4th boat in a little over 10 years. Started out w/ a little Avenger ski boat. 3 yrs later we upgraded to a new Ultra. Sold it in '99 after a year of not making it out to the river and thinking to myself "I can't justify this expense compared to how often we use it." Really though, going to the river was ( and is) the one thing we loved doing as a family. Bought a 19ft Southwind a few years ago. Last summer we thought about selling it and the trailer (also not paying rent for the space) and buying a bigger house...Well, boating and the river is the ONE thing my 13 yr old daughter truly loves doing with us. Anything else and having your parents around is total embarrassment. Needless to say, my wife let me buy my dream boat after selling the Southwind and we still spend at least every other weekend during the summer on the water, and about once a month during the winter.
Totally justified in my mind.

Tab
01-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Thank you all for your insight. Since I have other toys that don't pencil I understand that there is more to living life than #'s that make sense...I am going to own soon. Need to find a sweet deal before summer. Do enjoy the Islander. However, figure that it probably won't be too long before we're kicked out, since we do enjoy our social interaction especially when accompanied by a little Sublime, etc. Maybe a good loud alarm clock to alert us to take the party in the trailer at 10 would be a good idea. Anyway, will keep shopping, and look forward to seeing you all soon on the water. (I know, I'll be at the boat show Sunday!!)

mike37
01-23-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by redneckgirl
CEO when will your DCB be done. That is the initials of our son, so he/we are very interested in DCB's.
We were at Naci last weekend and a DCB was leaving the lake before noon being pulled by a black 4x4 pickup. Any body know who it was?? Good looking boat whoever it was..
RNG
framer1
were you at the lake last weekend
you dident invite me

boatlessd
01-23-2004, 10:55 PM
TAB,
Stop trying to justify and just do it. Obviously, if you go out boating that many times, you love boating as much as we all do.

Ivan Dan
01-24-2004, 02:32 AM
Hey Tab~ PM Outcole'd he has his (i believe 24') Cole for sale because his new Magic deckboat should be done in a few weeks. I'm sure he'd work you a great deal on it.
www.DanKaatz.com

CAHotRodBoy
01-24-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Tab
.....I'm diggin' Pantera's for some reason........Any reason to buy one here on the West Coast???(no dealer network(re warranty work), no name recognition(re resale value), but definately seem to be bad ass boats.....
Pantera's rock! Reason to own: Catalina, SCOPE poker runs, big time name recognition with off shore guys, extreem racing petagree, top notch factory support (even if you buy used), rock solid beautiful boats with awsome off shore performance, you can hang with the big boys (Cigs, Fountains, Formula,s Active Thunders, Outerlimits) and not have to take any sh!t from them, great re-sale value (again, with off shore crowd), my next boat! (28).
Check out http://www.panteraboats.com/index2.php and offshoreonly.com.

CARRERA
01-24-2004, 10:40 AM
No, it never does, but if you have the money. Why not!!!!!

LeavinOn6
01-24-2004, 11:12 AM
Tab, if you can afford a boat I say buy one! If it is a $3,000 a $100,000, or anything in between. Once you launch it and drive off you will know what it's about. It's the pride of ownership. You are responsible for taking care of her, keeping her looking good, and in tip top shape. When you clean her all up, and step back and take a look, you will smile and say dammmmm! I haved owned several, and have fond memories or each. I hope the people who have my old ones are taking good care of them, and having lots of fun.

phebus
01-24-2004, 12:29 PM
HELL YES!!!, and after you buy it, head on over to the Barrett-Jackson auction and pick up a new set of wheels. You owe it to yourself.!! :D

Danhercules
01-24-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Kim Hanson
I love boating, the other thing is " asset's ', you can never own enough of them...........( . )( . ).......:)
A boat is not an asset. Assets make you money, Liabilites cost you money.
A boat costs money. Maintance, Ins, Gas, storage,Ect.

fat rat
01-24-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Danhercules
A boat is not an asset. Assets make you money, Liabilites cost you money.
A boat costs money. Maintance, Ins, Gas, storage,Ect.
I agree.......some people call them investment's :D For us, we are not waiting for retirement to reap the benifits of our labor, ;) But, everything in moderation...........my $.02. :cool: