PDA

View Full Version : Beaching Your Boat.

LASERRAY
01-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Some do, some don't. Some will, some won't.
Who here will and won't beach their boat. I see alot of people here do, but on the other hand I have talked to people that said they'd never do it. Hull scratches, dings, etc. What's your personal philosophy on this?:cool:

hd&boatrider
01-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
Some do, some don't. Some will, some won't.
Who here will and won't beach their boat. I see alot of people here do, but on the other hand I have talked to people that said they'd never do it. Hull scratches, dings, etc. What's your personal philosophy on this?:cool:
Don't do it except at the Channel and places where there is 100% sand and no rocks. I have my gelcoat cleaned up everytime I take it in for service also

CMABadseed
01-22-2004, 10:22 PM
beach it.....a little bit of "sanding" never hurt anyone:p
plus its not like the boat is ever running on the surface that is beached so i see no reason not too.

Boozer
01-22-2004, 10:23 PM
I beach mine to an extent.
Bow always points to the lake and stern to the shore line. Just run 2 anchors.
Water levels can change over night. The water level drops 2' and your boat that was in the water is now 6' away from the new shoreline. You wanna push your boat across 6' of sand to get it back in the water? Thats a lot of work. A lot of work that could easily be avoided.
If I'm just pulling up to a nice spot for a couple hours during the day I will beach the boat. Overnight no way, no how.

fourspeednup
01-22-2004, 10:23 PM
My hull's already all dinged up and the metalflake's faded. I could care less. Careful not to drive up though...don't want any sand in the pump:yuk:

jbtrailerjim
01-22-2004, 10:25 PM
I beach my boat all of the time. I just try to be careful were I do it. Gotta watch out for rocks.

rivercrazy
01-22-2004, 10:26 PM
I don't beach it hardly ever. Once in a while in the Park Moabi Channel and thats it.

TRG
01-22-2004, 10:27 PM
ill put mine on a rock bar......cuz i do give a s#!t!!!!oooh damn,...did i say that?

Nubbs
01-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Done it once and I won't do it again. No matter how "clean" the sand is, the bottom gets scratched up.

CBLavey
01-22-2004, 10:41 PM
I never beach. I paid too much for that pretty fiberglass to risk intentionally scratching it.

BADBLOWN572
01-22-2004, 10:44 PM
I will occasionally, but not often. If I am going to be staying somewhere, I go to Home Depot and get a large square of their indoor carpet and place it where I am going to beach it. It helps quite a bit on the sand to keep the sand from dulling your gelcoat. If I am going to beach it at all, it better be a sandy beach with zero rocks. Usually, I will anchor or hold it instead of beaching it.

gnarley
01-22-2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Nubbs
Done it once and I won't do it again. No matter how "clean" the sand is, the bottom gets scratched up.
The more scratched up it is the less surface tension water has to stick to the bottom of the hull. I'm not talking big deep scratches but fine scuffing. Did you ever notice how water sticks to glass or perfectly clear plexi or a mirror? Try scuffing up the plexi then splash a little water on it and see how it sticks. The slight scratches or scuffing reduce the surface tension of the water. Less surface tension holding it in the water the faster you go.

LASERRAY
01-22-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by gnarley
The more scratched up it is the less surface tension water has to stick to the bottom of the hull. I'm not talking big deep scratches but fine scuffing. Did you ever notice how water sticks to glass or perfectly clear plexi or a mirror? Try scuffing up the plexi then splash a little water on it and see how it sticks. The slight scratches or scuffing reduce the surface tension of the water. Less surface tension holding it in the water the faster you go. I heard Kilrtoy makes claims of 3-5 MPH!:D J/K Kilrtoy. I don't think i'd scuff the hull of my family bowrider in-order to gain the minimal MPH from reduced water tension or friction, IMO.

hd&boatrider
01-23-2004, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
I will occasionally, but not often. If I am going to be staying somewhere, I go to Home Depot and get a large square of their indoor carpet and place it where I am going to beach it. It helps quite a bit on the sand to keep the sand from dulling your gelcoat. If I am going to beach it at all, it better be a sandy beach with zero rocks. Usually, I will anchor or hold it instead of beaching it.
and of course you pickup the carpet and take it back home with you right?

RiverRatMike
01-23-2004, 05:48 AM
I do it all the time really no big deal to me. Just as long as it's a sandy beach....

superV
01-23-2004, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Boozer
I beach mine to an extent.
Bow always points to the lake and stern to the shore line. Just run 2 anchors.
Water levels can change over night. The water level drops 2' and your boat that was in the water is now 6' away from the new shoreline. You wanna push your boat across 6' of sand to get it back in the water? Thats a lot of work. A lot of work that could easily be avoided.
If I'm just pulling up to a nice spot for a couple hours during the day I will beach the boat. Overnight no way, no how.
I dont know about you but IMO you should never anchor a Stern Drive like this for a few resons one being if there is allot of wakes in the area you will bet the shit out of your drive and transom, and two if the water level does in fact go down over night you will never get the boat back in the water with the stern on the beach. This type of anchoring is more for jets or V-Drives. Just my .03! ;)

Kachina26
01-23-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by LASERRAY
I heard Kilrtoy makes claims of 3-5 MPH!:D J/K Kilrtoy. I don't think i'd scuff the hull of my family bowrider in-order to gain the minimal MPH from reduced water tension or friction, IMO. Just when you thought that one died forever........................................

GlastronGuy
01-23-2004, 06:29 AM
I beach it long enough to get out and tie off. I then let my anchor buddy pull me back out. There will always be some idiot that doesn't know the rules of the water that will come blasting by and cause the water to drag your boat across the beach.
http://www.anchorbuddy.com/

HammerDown
01-23-2004, 06:59 AM
The bottom of my Daytona is black...didn't have one scratch when I bought it....I regret the first time I beached it. (Sand and very small pebbles).
Theres some ugly scars in it now....F'ing mess. :frown:

Havasu Cig
01-23-2004, 07:33 AM
As long as it is sand. I have beached all the boats I have had with no problems. You can have the Gel buffed out and it will look like new again.

Havasu_Dreamin
01-23-2004, 08:07 AM
As long as it is soft sand we beach it. Mostly in Steamboat. If we go to another cove to hang out for the day I only beach long enough to unload and then anchor with the bow out and the stern tied off to shore. To preveent the problem SuperV brings up the back of the boat is always in at least waist deep, usually deeper, water so that the boat can rock with the wakes and the drive not hit bottom.

AquaBoogie
01-23-2004, 08:21 AM
I know a few people that use the carpet. I was thinking of picking up a nice size bathroom rug. It's easier to roll up after.

BADBLOWN572
01-23-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by hd&boatrider
and of course you pickup the carpet and take it back home with you right?
You bet. I only use the carpet if I am going to be staying somewhere that I can block off my space for a couple of days. I dont want the boat running up and down the sand several times per day. When I am done with the carpet, it goes right into the closest dumpster. I always pick up my shit!

Drunk tank
01-23-2004, 08:52 AM
I'll beach mine anywhere aslong as its sand or mud. I dont really care about the paint... I need to repaint anyhow. I'll leave it over night floppin on the beach too... aint gonna hurt it none. Well.. accept for that one time I shut it off in deep water and coasted it onto the shore and left it over night. Next mornign got up and we went and pushed it out to start it up. let it warm a bit then take off.... but we arnt really goin anywhere. I'm all like WTF! engine is at 3000 RPM and I'm crawling! shut it don and go pop the access cover on the jet and start feeling around... End up finding a rock lodged to high hell in the turbine, I couldnt even pry the bitch out with a screw driver. :mad: I'm guessing it kinda wedged itself in the intake under my boat and when I kicked it in the damn thing sucked up into the turbine. Expensive little fix. Safe to say i dont know if I'll be doing that again.... maybe I should get some type of grill to cover that damn thing... no idea where to look for that though :confused:

PerfectionDtail
01-23-2004, 09:08 AM
As long as the sand looks soft with no rocks. Then I slowly float in, never drive it up hard. I barely let the boat touch the beach until I can get off and pull it up myself.
My problem is people getting on the bow from the beach. There is always sand on their feet, even if they try and get if off, and they walk across the bow and scratch the sh@t out of the bow. It is almost impossible to get every grain of sand off of you feet by simply brushing them. My rule is no walking on the bow. If you want to get in, swim to the back.

welk2party
01-23-2004, 09:35 AM
I only beach at steamboat and the channel. Mostly out of habit. We bought a deckboat, so beaching it is really nice for getting on and off. The sand issue becomes huge though. I have a hose down up front and I cannot get anyone to use it after a couple of drinks. Now combine easy on and off and sand, I can make my own beach somewhere else with the sand on board. Thank god for fiberglass floors and a nonskid surface to hide the scratches. Also, I do get dings on the bottom from small rocks and such. Just about every time I have brought the boat back to the shop I have had the bottom cleaned up.

twistedpair
01-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Get a Keel Guard (http://www.tech5kg.com/) and forget about it.

summerlove
01-23-2004, 10:02 AM
Unless there are rocks, I always beach. Much easier and less hassle. If the bottom gets too messed up, it'll be off to Havasu Barney for some fix up - maybe it needs it now. You never see the bottom unless it's on the trailer anyway. My $.02

drbones
01-23-2004, 10:42 AM
I never beach mine very far up...
I had an old 16ft...i used to slam up on the beach...didnt even have to tie it off....anywho.....I wore clear through the keel....
had a place about 9inch's long that was wore plumb through ....
talk about a slight leak...
:rolleyes:

welk2party
01-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Keel gaurds are the way to go if you have a V bottom. My buddy has one on his advantage. I cannot put one on my cat because the leading edge does not accomodate good cotnact for the keel gaurd.

Tremor Therapy
01-23-2004, 12:30 PM
I rarely really "beach" the boat. I will do it in certain coves up Moabi way, but only after I get out and actually check for rocks.....I had an $1100.00 gel-coat lesson with beaching my jet boat.
So with the Tremor, unless I am in the channel, I park in enough water to keep the boat afloat, and point the stern towards the beach and double anchor.....sand anchor off the bow, and sand spike on the beach.

burtandnancy
01-23-2004, 03:39 PM
I've had keel guards on my last two v bottoms. They really work, are inexpensive and have absolutely no effect on performance. Don't leave home without one. Start from where the chine meets at the bow and install either 8, 10 or 12 feet back depending on your boat OAL. Of course if your lake is like ours, and has talcum powder beaches, don't worry about it...

BUSTI
01-23-2004, 04:05 PM
No way or at least I try not to. With the v-drive river cruiser no way for sure. And with my Super Jet I would prefer to keep my pump out of the sand and rocks!

CA Stu
01-23-2004, 05:08 PM
Where appropriate, beach it.
I don't think a scratch or two on the bottom of my boat will make a lot of difference, especially when you look at all the other little dock dings, scratches from other misc. crap, etc.
Life's too short to be anal retentive.
CA Stu

Bow Tie Omega
01-23-2004, 05:49 PM
I have beached the BTO in the past, but with me shooting gel on the bottom this weekend, and the effort it has taken to do this, I think I will be using the anchor a bit more

phuggit
01-23-2004, 05:59 PM
I do only if it's sand and relatively calm.

Havasu Hangin'
01-23-2004, 06:29 PM
I never beach my boat (don't look at my avatar).

LASERRAY
01-23-2004, 06:32 PM
Can't do it. Wouldn't be prudent.:wink: