PDA

View Full Version : New Project...input needed!

fourspeednup
01-23-2004, 02:18 PM
I want to make an RC boat killer. I'm putting a weedwhacker 2-stroke into a custom hull with a mini v-drive. Only one prob, I need a suitable hull. All other RC boats are too small for a motor with this much weight and I'm planning on it going real fast too. I think I'm going to make one but I've never worked w/ fiberglass before other than surfboard repairs. Check out my thread over on barney's site and all you glass gurus...give me some comments/ ideas.
Oh yeah, I don't plan on running this one into anyone's leg;)
havasu barney (http://www.havasubarney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1692)

Jetdriver
01-23-2004, 02:23 PM
There is a process called the Lost Foam method. We use it to make High speed RC gliders. Do some research on google and Im sure you will find some good how to's. It basically takes a piece of foam that you shape then glass over it with resin and carbonfiber for strength. then once the resin is set you use acetone to melt the foam away. and you are left with a clean fiberglass hull to work with. Keep me posted on your progress. I would really like to see what you come up with. I have access to some wacker motors I could play with. Might be interesting.
Shawn

fourspeednup
01-23-2004, 02:26 PM
I was thinking about something like that. Don't really need a dedicated mold like a full size boat.
:cool:

Jetdriver
01-23-2004, 03:07 PM
Exactly! No need for all the extra steps!

BUSTI
01-23-2004, 03:52 PM
RC boats r the funnest! My son who is 23 evry year still takes his to Mohave and when we are in the cove i have the best fun with it!

spectras only
01-23-2004, 04:02 PM
4spd&up, I have a 46" Prather hull with a 35cc chainsaw engine .Built an arneson drive for it and a step up beltdrive.It's an unlimited class model and extremely stable. I've built this boat over 20 yrs ago. The best engine for an R/C boat you are going to build is the 23 Zenoah marine engine

fourspeednup
01-23-2004, 04:32 PM
Sounds cool. Do you think you could post some pics? I just had the idea but never done anything RC before. Any ideas on what size the avg. weedwhacker motor is?:cool:

spectras only
01-23-2004, 05:52 PM
The weedwhackers are around 35cc. The Zenoah 23 is 23 cc , plenty enough . I'll see later , if I have some pics of my boat at home and post some.

likwidsukr
01-23-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by spectras only
The weedwhackers are around 35cc. The Zenoah 23 is 23 cc , plenty enough . I'll see later , if I have some pics of my boat at home and post some.
This will be sweet! I have one that had a 25cc motor in it. I still have the hull and drive.HMMM maybe I'll get it back out :cool:

spectras only
01-23-2004, 09:44 PM
here's one picture of my Prather taken at Skaha lake in 1982 ,beside my full scale spectra.Trying to find a shot of the arneson drive:) http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/penticton19815.jpg

spectras only
01-23-2004, 09:51 PM
I also have a similarly sized flattie v-drive mahogany boat [was built by a real racer in the 50's] ,modeled after his real raceboat. That one is a resto project since the glue dried a bit and some ribs coming loose .Has a real V-drive gearbox [ forward speed only:p ],a real nice billet steering wheel and gauges on the dash:cool: .Here's a picture of a 24' boat my friend builds. Already have three static 46" models made , and I'll have a carbon fibre r/c model made one day .http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/kazulin24.14%20copy.jpg

BADBLOWN572
01-24-2004, 09:02 AM
I built one a while back that was really sweet. We built the plug out of wood and made an actual mold. We popped about 3-4 out of the mold and we had a competition on who could build the best one. Ours was a 40" cat that looked just like the 46 flat deck Skater. One guy put in a weed wacker motor, one a pair of gas powered outboards and I built one with a pair of RC10 electric motors. I liked mine the best. It wasn't the fastest top end, but it was close, Where mine was really good was in the turning. I had the engines hooked up individually for the throttle. Unfortunately my boat got stolen about 3 years ago and I have no idea where the mold is at this time. If anyone knows where to get another hull, let me know. I wouldn't mind building another project.