PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic steering for my bravo 1

RVR JUNKY
08-05-2001, 10:18 AM
Im trying to figure out whether I need to set up my Bravo 1 with hydraulic steering or not. Currently I'm running between 82 to 85 mph in my 25' Warlock. I have gotten mixed opinions on the subject and I would like to know if I'm running on the edge or not. My engine is a Blosdale built blown 502 and it has been running strong for the last 3 years. The drive does not appear to have any excessive play in it, so should I spend the money to have the work done?

25 Outlaw 502
08-06-2001, 05:14 AM
Always heard if you go past 70 mph you had better have external steering for safety sake. Sounds like you have already pent a significant amount of $$$$$ on the boat and motor and I would better that sooner or later the torque placed on the drive at those high speeds will get the better of you. Besides that it just really looks great hanging back there with the drive. Good luck, I think I have heard around 3500-5000 for a good dual ram system. Lantham marine is the best!!!!!

redviper
08-11-2001, 04:22 PM
YES your pushing it every time you hammer down!

RiverDave
08-17-2001, 08:28 AM
On the same token RVRJunky after you put the external steering on it won't feel all nice and smooth like it does now. When you turn the wheel there is resistance, and most of the time they look really cool but really make it a pain to drive the boat at idle.
RD

FIREMAN
09-19-2001, 01:26 AM
:P
[This message has been edited by FIREMAN (edited September 19, 2001).]

boatnam2
09-19-2001, 03:53 AM
you know how i could tell i needed it in my 26ft american offshore.when you nailed it my hand at 12 o clock would go to 4 oclock. not a good thing.but i drove it for a tear like that.

formula93
10-30-2001, 02:36 PM
the River Dave entry: you must/might be refering to "add-on (partial" hydraulic steering. there is no resistance to a full hydraulic helm. If it is difficult to steer at idle them possibly you need dual pumps for higher capacity or a larger capacity helm. Getting the correct size helm & cylinders is why you have companies like Marine Machine to give you the right stuff. Not all external steering units are equal in manufacturing or materials. Some are not made of the best stainless (316L stainless) like Marine Machine. Latham is NOT 316L stainless !! They will pit, corroded & rust if there is ANY salt content in the water. The Marine Machine units & all brackets are the best. Also, you talk to the OWNER when you call.
There is nothing better!!