PDA

View Full Version : OMC Sterndrive problem going forward/reverse

JetboatJon
11-27-2001, 12:18 AM
I've asked around and still haven't found an answer to this one but maybe someone out here might know. I have a 1974 Cobalt 16 ft cruiser and it has an OMC sterndrive 165 I/O setup in it. I hit shallow water over the summer than 45 minutes later I hear a "bing/boom" and it disengages out of forward. I can only go in reverse then 15 minutes later reverse no longer works. When I finally got it back to shore I started it up and engaged it in forward and in reverse it seemed to be catching when it was out of water and under no tension. I am selling this thing but I'm curious to know what the heck is wrong, does my outboard fluid need to be changed, did I strip the spider gear, or the outboard shaft?

rwolfe
12-18-2001, 08:50 AM
From the description of your problem, you either damaged the clutch dog or broke the pinion gear. Hope for the clutch dog. It is only a $80 part. The pinion is normally sold as part of a gear set, around $700 for the King Cobra outdrive. A quick test is to put the boat in drive with the motor off and see if you can force the prop to turn. If it's the clutch dog you will feel the gears trying to catch about every 1/8 of a turn. The pinion gear will just feel like a light resistance but still turn. I personally went through five OMC's before I learned my leason. At the end I found it easier to by a complete used outdrive from the junk yard.

not guilty
12-20-2001, 12:40 PM
rwolfe
I may be wrong, but jetboatjon said his boat is a 1974,I dont believe cobra drives where around until 80's.It probably has the old omc with the knuckle gears and electric shift.

JetboatJon
12-20-2001, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by not guilty:
rwolfe
I may be wrong, but jetboatjon said his boat is a 1974,I dont believe cobra drives where around until 80's.It probably has the old omc with the knuckle gears and electric shift.
Now that I think about it.....I remember seeing something like "knuckle gears" under where the outdrive tilts. The gears looked a bit stripped could that be it?

not guilty
12-21-2001, 06:38 AM
Sounds like you solved mystery.As far as I know these where all the same from 1973-1986.They should still be easy to get where you are.OMC pt#'s are 908063 to housing & 908069 to upper gear case.We're a NAPA marine auth. service center,they list the parts as #'s 18-2176 to hsng. and 18-2177 to upper gear case at about 100.00 apiece.They also list a ball gear kit (thats there real name) as #18-2178 at about 250.00,it has gears,seals & new locknuts & plugs.Any NAPA auto parts can check these #'s & availability for you.Double check your drive, but if you have "exposed" gears where drive meets transom I'm 99% sure these are correct.Somebody out here might have more exp. with these older OMC,but weve only ran into one fits all on this drive.Hope this helps.
NOTE:There was no SPAMMING intended here,were not trying to sell our parts or anyone elses,just supplying some helpfull #'s and info.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS-----------MIKE http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

mercmancolo
12-26-2001, 03:07 PM
sounds like you have an electric shift lower.you might have broken a spring in the lower unit.i think they are still avail.,but could be very costly. you also need to check the prop shear pin. real trouble is not many boat shops will even work on them anymore.

mercmancolo
12-26-2001, 03:20 PM
it could also be a water pump shaft stripped.this is very common in all of the old omc stringer drives. could cost $500-$800 to fix. it is in the upper unit,not as hard to fix as the lower.