PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat and Fiberglass Repair

HavasuBarney
01-25-2004, 08:53 PM
As many of you are aware of and for those of you that are not, Havasu Barney will be closing our doors this month. It seems that the Federal Government has requested my presence for the next year or so and they have made a reservation for me starting March 1st, 2004. I'll address this in more detail in another thread.
If I do not have your boat in my possession or have made arrangements with you, I will not be able to do your work.
I have made many friends through this board as well as through my business, I wanted to make sure you guys had a heads up for all of your boat repair needs. If you need to get your gel repaired, here's the real scoop on the Lake Havasu shops. There will be some information in here that I have wanted to share for some time, I just did not think it appropriate to talk negatively about a business when I stood to profit from it.
In this thread, I simply want to address my concerns and knowledge of a few shops, offer a few tips that will help you get your repairs done without undue delay and costs. I have no personal or financial interest in any business referred from this thread.
Dave's Fiberglass
1740 S. McCulloch Blvd.
Lake Havasu, AZ
928-855-2215
928-706-0084 cell
I've known Dave for several years. He has been in the business for about 10 years, working for Fiberglass Reformation under Pat and for a period of time after it sold to Steve. Dave is without question the most knowledgeable and best fiberglass and gel guy I have ever known. This guy has seen it all and done it all, there is simply no repair out of his reach.
He is a master of color matching, blends and repairs.
If I were to get my personal boat fixed, I would seek Dave out. He is simply the best out there.
Dave is not without shortcomings though. He does tend to over-book himself. He also will tend to take some discounted jobs and not give his best work on those.
My advice when dealing with Dave,
1. Give him a date when you want to pick the boat up, not just when you want it ready.
2. Pay full price. This guy is a master and will do masterful work when paid to do so.
3. If you must get bids, get the other guys first. Then just show the bids to Dave and have him complete the work, he is the best.
4. Tell him your read this on Hot Boat and he'll know you are part of this internet community and will report his work to others.
5. You could always tell him Havasu Barney sent you.
TRG Custom Fiberglass
Rowland Heights, CA
626-991-9031
I'm including Todd in my Havasu repair because I think he's a great guy and does excellent work. I have not seen a lot of his repair work but I have had the chance to closely inspect several of the boats he has done. I see a real need for his services out there.
I have also talked extensively with Todd on the phone. It is abundantly clear to me that he KNOWS every aspect of this trade. From seeing his work I know he also knows how to apply that knowledge.
I don't know if Todd does much consultation, I think he should.
I know there's a bunch of you guys that insist on doing your own work. I know some of our projects are labors of love. If I had a project going in Southern CA, I would see if Todd could come spend an afternoon with me and coach me through the tough spots. He would be a great value and source of knowledge for $50 per hour.
Todd also has at least 1 shortcoming I'm aware of, he under values his own work.
I would also be proud to have Todd work on my boat, just don't **** with the lawn equipment.
My advice when dealing with Todd,
1. Give him creative freedom and input on your work, he is an artist.
2. If you must get bids, get the other bids first so you'll know it's an apples to apples comparison.
3. Give him the time to get it done and it will be done right.
4. Don't let him discount the work, you'll get his best work no matter what you pay but you'll be happier paying more.
Boat Body Repair
1991 Industrial Blvd.
Lake Havasu, AZ
928-855-5522
I guess it's a compliment that I do not see much of Rod's work. People that see him usually go back to him. He is very capable of doing great work.
His work has a tendency to be on the expensive side but he also has a wealth of experience to draw from.
My only comments about the boats we both have worked on, sometimes he will take shortcuts and not let the customer be aware of it.
I have seen a few of his boats where the customer thought they were getting gel work and it was done in paint.
Rod does do excellent paint work though.
I am very neutral about Boat Body Repair. Most people that have work done there are very happy.
My advice when dealing with Rod,
1. Make sure you get gel work when you pay for gel work.
2. He is the best choice for having paint work done here in Havasu.
3. You will not need bids, his work will be the highest but his work is as good as you can get.
Fiberglass Reformations
905 Port Dr.
Lake Havasu, AZ
928-855-0877
Fiberglass Reformations used to be the best choice for work in Havasu, those days are long gone. Over the last few years, they have had some good work come out of there but that's only when they have had some good employees. The trouble is Steve has trouble keeping good employees.
I have seen a great deal of completely shitty work come from this place. Every week people come through asking to have work re-done that they had done with FR.
In my opinion, they also engage in bad business practices. They will undercut jobs while paying cash referrals under the table to anyone who will send them work.
Then they take every possible shortcut on the work to make ends meet.
Very often customers will come for gel work and get paint and are never told, meanwhile the crew will yuck it up around town about how they cheated customers.
In my opinion, their work is second rate at best.
Be careful if you are having service work in town and they are also taking care of gel work. No question there is some cash being exchanged under the table and you are getting second rate work if it comes from FR. Make sure your service people use someone else.
Do yourself a favor and avoid any business with these guys.
My advice for dealing with Fiberglass Reformations,
1. DON'T

JetBoatRich
01-25-2004, 09:04 PM
Good luck HB, sorry to hear the bad news. :(
Very nice of you yo throw these names out here for any of us to use. From what most of us have seen from your work, no better recommendation than you.

phebus
01-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Club Fed, what a bummer. Do you plan on locating back in Havasu when your "job" is done. God Speed.

TrojanDan
01-26-2004, 11:12 AM
Got to give props to Dave's Fiberglass Repair also. You (Havasu Barney) and Dave did some very nice gel repair on my boat back in December. Thanks for the great work..........
Hope the days will be quick for you! :)

Havasu Cig
01-26-2004, 11:30 AM
That sucks bro...I hope your time goes by fast.
You were definitely my choice for repairs. Now I need to find someone else. :(

DogHouse
01-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Sorry Barn. I'll miss seeing ya at speed alley... Take care of yourself and we'll be here when ya get back.
:(

HavasuBarney
01-27-2004, 08:10 PM
I'll miss this coming season but I'll be back for the next.
I will be coming back to Havasu. :)

Jordy
01-27-2004, 09:05 PM
That' sucks Barn. Guess we'll have to pour some beer out for our homie while you're gone. Don't worry we'll have plenty of cold ones on the south side of the dam for you. Hell, seems like a great reason to have a big blowout party as well. ;)

OutCole'd
01-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Barney, that really sucks. Take care of yourself.

HavasuDreamin'
01-28-2004, 08:53 AM
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Barn. :( I am sure you will be missed by your friends and family, but also by the boating community as well.
Hope time travels quick for you over the next year, and you are able to open up Barney Fiberglass/Gel Repair again soon. :)
HD

DUCKY
01-28-2004, 10:41 PM
I am not going to sit here and say anything negative about anyone. However, I work for Fiberglass Reformations, and have for over a year. All of the current employees are long term, myself actually being there the least amount of time. I can assure you that exactly 0% of what Barney had to say is correct. Steve Power (owner) and/or myself inspect EVERY SINGLE job that comes in and out of the shop. Neither one of us would let anything past the gate that was not as perfect as it could humanly be.
If we do such "a great deal of completely shitty" work, why is it that EVERY major (and most minor) repair facilities ( I can't start in with names, there are too many!) not to mention most Havasu based boat manufacturers bring all of their fiberglass and gelcoat work to our shop? It's not because of any "cash under the table" it's because we are the best, and I am not afraid to say it, because I am proud to work there. We do consistent, high quality work, and our customers come back every time they need something repaired. We have been in the same location for over 10 yrs and we do at least double (if not more) the volume of work of any other shop in town.
I know for a fact that we have fixed several boats whose owners frequent this website, so if we have repaired your boat, please speak up!
Thanks!
-Scott

Havasu Cig
01-29-2004, 02:19 PM
If you are the best you guys must be perfect. I have had several people do gel repairs in the past, and nobody could touch the work Barney did. He fixed a chip in the gel on our Cig that you can't tell has been fixed. I know exactly were the chip was and still can't tell.
I am not saying anything bad about you guys because I don't know you, just stating my experience I have had with different people. Hopefully you are as good as you say, because finding a good gel guy has been tough.

FlatRat
01-29-2004, 03:13 PM
:yuk: Well phuck,
Barney just wanted to let ya know that we will miss your imput and skill.I for one have a little better understanding about the core job I'm in the middle of because of your unselfeshness and willingness to share your valueable time with rookies like myself.Keep your head up.Thanks, and long live the purple bunny suit.:confused: :wink: :eek!: :yuk:

bear down
01-29-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Cig
If you are the best you guys must be perfect. I have had several people do gel repairs in the past, and nobody could touch the work Barney did. He fixed a chip in the gel on our Cig that you can't tell has been fixed. I know exactly were the chip was and still can't tell.
I am not saying anything bad about you guys because I don't know you, just stating my experience I have had with different people. Hopefully you are as good as you say, because finding a good gel guy has been tough.
I second that. HB did a great job on our Eliminator and have no issues with him and he went above and beyond the call of duty.

TRG
01-29-2004, 06:10 PM
i think i'll go buy that light right now!!!!!

TRG
01-29-2004, 06:12 PM
hey barn...thanks for the kind words! we'll see ya when you get back...hell i may even have a "WAKKA" when you return!
drop me a dime anytime bro!
todd

HavasuBarney
01-29-2004, 08:39 PM
I'll be gone for a while but I'll be back.
As it sits now, I'm scheduled to be back before the end of this year. I promise a much bigger and bolder presence also.
Anyone that has interacted with me knows that I really do give a damn about you guys and your boats. My recommendation above is from the heart, I have nothing to gain here.
Cept for a few coldies from you guys that have promised them! :D
I love you guys like family and sooooo look forward to next year on the water.
Todd, no thanks needed bro! The care you put into your work is what sets you apart from others who just do repairs for a living.
:)

Havasu Hangin'
01-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Anything you need Barney...just name it. Seriously.
How about a cake with a file?

TRG
01-29-2004, 09:00 PM
HH said file!
lmfao!!

TrojanDan
01-30-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by DUCKY
The halogen or flouro light will show flaws that could never be seen with incandescent or sunlight, especially in darker colors.
G'damn it Barney! Now I will never be able to park next to someone in the channel with a halogen or fluorescent light! Thanks alot. :D And here I thought I was cool by getting my gel coat touched up.
Later,
:cool:

v-drive
01-30-2004, 10:03 AM
Damn! I'm gonna start a new business selling Gel lights.
I'll name it "Gel lites to go" . Any other ideas will be concidered.
:D :cool: v-drive

You Te
01-30-2004, 05:10 PM
Well I'm going to speak up.
I have a hull that Fiberglass Reformations did some work on about 2 years ago. I don't know much about fiberglass work but I did notice after one outing with the boat the transom developed some cracks.
I had a fiberglass shop look at the boat and they told me, "the use of paper towels as a filler in the transom area is not recommend for maximun strength."
I guess the use of paper towels in the fiberglass repair world would be considered a short cut.
You Te

HavasuBarney
01-30-2004, 08:22 PM
You are completely wrong. It is my old boat we are refering to. It was repaired by Fiberglass Reformations and the transom work was done by the owner, Steve Powers.
I was there, I saw him working on it personally.
Were you there?
Not to mention that he also inflated the price by 33% above the quoted price. It was that deal with Fiberglass Reformation that pushed me over the hump to open my own shop.
It was also that deal that lead to Dave and myself becoming friends. He left FR because of the way Steve treated or should I say cheated customers.
I'm sure Steve and all the Powers that be.... will be glad for all of your input on this thread.
I wonder if this is what you had in mind when asking for specifics?
Sorry to inform you Ducky, you are quacking out your ass! :D
And to be honest, I knew you were not smart enough NOT to take the bait..... ;)

Bow Tie Omega
01-30-2004, 08:35 PM
:D :yuk:

LAVEYSABRE575
01-30-2004, 08:40 PM
lotsa of love in the air...

You Te
01-30-2004, 08:47 PM
Ducky,
The boat I have now is Barney's old boat, when it was repaired it was Barney's not mine, I bought it six months later.
Are you saying Barney was an employee of Fiberglass Reformations at the time his boat was repaired and the repairs were done by him?
What's "gel light" I don't understand? What jokes, I don't understand what you mean?
What creditability, I made a statement about the truth, if you or anyone else does not believe me about the paper towels, I don't care.
You must understand, I don't care if Fiberglass Reformations has all the business in Havasu or has none at all, I just don't care. Defend FR all you want, I'm simply done on this subject.
I'll see you at BBSP.
You Te

RaysonKid
01-30-2004, 09:23 PM
This is getting good.
Whos got the popcorn?

DUCKY
01-30-2004, 09:29 PM
The posts are deleted anyways...... People are going to believe what they want to beleive.
I am done here. SEEYA:rolleyes:

TRG
01-30-2004, 09:48 PM
you guys need to go to your corners! get up.....shake it off..... grab a bite....cool off,...then get back to business!
then again...i need to shut the f@#k up, and stay out of it!

RaysonKid
01-30-2004, 09:51 PM
This is why I do my own fiberglass repairs and paint.
But really guys you arent helping anyones buisness.

HavasuBarney
01-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by DUCKY
I am smart enough to know that you'll be quacking out your ass when Bubba's got his 11" black cock rammed up it in about 32 days.......:D :D :D :D
I'm sure you just took a major step in establishing your integrity and credibility Ducky.

Tom Brown
01-30-2004, 10:07 PM
All I know is...
I am done here.

Tom Brown
01-30-2004, 10:07 PM
SEEYA

cheech
01-30-2004, 10:54 PM
on this site over 900 people have stop to read it, lets here from the customers, no slamming,quacking or bitching just say if you were happy with the service for which you paid for.(did you get what you payed for and was it what you were quoted.please list who did the work.

OGShocker
02-02-2004, 07:09 AM
Barney,
Take care of you! We will be here upon your return. You see us at the lake, be sure and flag us down, we'll pop a cold one with you.
OGS

Hallett19
02-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Can I borrow.......... I mean watch your boat while you are away ? I have a garage and everything :D I called you to see if you got those pictues ok, lemme know.

Just Tool'n
02-02-2004, 11:26 AM
Barney, good luck. Hope The year goes by fast. Take the time to educate, or better yourself during this year. you never know what you can use once the year is over.

BrendellaJet
02-02-2004, 12:57 PM
Barney, Best of luck to you! Is your website going to be up while you are gone? Hopefully when you get back Ill have my boat done and I can post pics for you to see! Thanks again for all the help though, best of luck to you.

BB's_LHC
02-03-2004, 12:13 PM
We've always taken our business to fiberglass reformations; and will continue referring them to our customers. All the fiberglass, gel coat, and transom work Steve's done for me has always turned out nothing less than extreme perfection. It takes some serious dedication, and time to run such a professional shop.
For the bull shit about giving kick backs for referred work, I'm still waiting for my 1st payment!! (HA HA) That subject has never been discussed, and never will.
Anybody can talk shit, but it's important to look at the source, and motive. I've got 28 years in all aspects of the boat buisness, and one thing I've learned over the years, is if you stop and sink as low as bad mouthing the competition; than your not taking care of your own buisness, or your own customers.
Fiberglass Reformations- keep up the great work, and just remember that shit talkers will come and go!!

bear down
02-03-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by BB's_LHC
Anybody can talk shit, but it's important to look at the source, and motive. I've got 28 years in all aspects of the boat buisness, and one thing I've learned over the years, is if you stop and sink as low as bad mouthing the competition; than your not taking care of your own buisness, or your own customers.
I think Havasu Barney is doing just the opposite of that. I believe he just wants to guide his previous customers and friends in the right direction and steer them to facilities that will take care them as he would. I guess in a sense he wants to protect us. Just my opinion.

v-drive
02-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by BB's_LHC
We've always taken our business to fiberglass reformations; and will continue referring them to our customers. All the fiberglass, gel coat, and transom work Steve's done for me has always turned out nothing less than extreme perfection. It takes some serious dedication, and time to run such a professional shop.
For the bull shit about giving kick backs for referred work, I'm still waiting for my 1st payment!! (HA HA) That subject has never been discussed, and never will.
Fiberglass Reformations- keep up the great work, and just remember that shit talkers will come and go!!
Barney Has completely Re-stored my son's Omega and helped my other son at any time. I have also talked to him regarding my boat. He has been helpful to all on these boards for as long as I can remember.
You on the other hand just now came on the board so excuse me if I continue to listen and support someone who cares
:p :D :p v-drive

You Te
02-03-2004, 09:30 PM
BB's LHC,
that's a nice first post, are you by chance the owner of Fiberglass Reformations?
You Te

TRG
02-03-2004, 09:56 PM
does BB's stand for Boat Brokers,...of Lake Havasu?

DUCKY
02-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by toddnjuzz
does BB's stand for Boat Brokers,...of Lake Havasu?
Nope, "BB's" is Barnacle Bills..... But we do all of the Boat Brokers fiberglass work too......
Yep I am still lurking.........:D

TRG
02-05-2004, 10:04 PM
so who is this BB's?

Jbb
02-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by HavasuBarney
I'm sure you just took a major step in establishing your integrity and credibility Ducky.
I dont know Ducky....I have watched Barney go waaay out of they way to provide customers with high quality work at affordable prices for quite a while......
I also saw him take tons of his own personal time to help anyone who asked for tips and procedures on fixing their own boats,and ask for nothing in return...
Its my understanding that he also hired a few fledgling ....experts to work with him a while back...
Do you subscribe to the idea that everyone is entitled to an opinion,or is yours the only one that counts..
Oh Yeah,I almost forgot ...Top notch post there dude...:rolleyes:
Barney ....The time will fly for you, and we will all be here when you return...Thanks for all the selfless help over the years....
Your devotion to your fellow boater will be remembered and Karma will come around.......For all......;)

mbrown2
02-09-2004, 08:09 PM
I have used Fiberglass Reformation twice and the work has always turned out great.
I saw Barney's post about the competition and I am not going to debate his opinion or experience; I can only say, the work I have had done at FR has been great.
My .02

Slick
02-10-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by JETBOAT BRIAN
I also saw him take tons of his own personal time to help anyone who asked for tips and procedures on fixing their own boats,and ask for nothing in return...
Barney ....The time will fly for you, and we will all be here when you return...Thanks for all the selfless help over the years....
Your devotion to your fellow boater will be remembered and Karma will come around.......For all......;)
I can speak from experience as to Jay's selfless help. He spent two full days helping me install the floor on my boat, glassing it in and gelcoating it. In fact, he called me and offered his help on one of his open weekends. He asked for nothing in return besides a barbeque next time we were at the river. How awesome is that.
So thanks to Havasu Barney, my friend. We'll catch'ya on the flip flop next season.
Oh, one favor... Next time you pass me on the water, back off the throttle a bit so it doesn't seam that I'm actually going as slow as I am.
Take Care, Brother
Slick

Cole Sanger
02-11-2004, 12:41 PM
I would like to take the time to thank Barney again for the work he did on my previous boat. Everyone else I talked to wanted twice what he quoted and I know they wouldn't have done a better job. I have no experience with the other shops he listed, but I thank him for posting. Make sure you let everyone know when you get back so we can come back for the great service and experience. Thanks.

Havasu Cig
02-11-2004, 07:15 PM
I am with you Dave....We were planing on having barney do some work for us in April, but I think it might have to wait.
The work he did for us before was so good, I would hate to have someone else do a $hitty job on it.

playdeep
02-11-2004, 09:15 PM
I took my Eliminator to Barney this past summer to have some lettering removed...He ended up not only removing the lettering,but fixed a bunch of scratches in some of the fades.
He didn't charge me extra for everything else that he did,He just did it...Very cool.
I gotta agree with RD and Havasu Cig...
Unless it it's something REALLY bad,I think I'll just wait til Barney gets back...

RiverForUs
02-13-2004, 01:12 PM
Does anyone know if he's still around? My buddy had some work done by him and he's trying to get his keys back but Barney's number is out of service.
It looks like his last post was on 1/31/04 but he's not due to be gone until March 1st.
Barney, you out there?

Tom Brown
02-13-2004, 01:35 PM
He closed his doors and is spending the last month under contract as a gel/fiberglass instructor over at Fiberglass Reformations.

v-drive
02-13-2004, 03:25 PM
You are so baddd!:D :D :D :cool: v-drive

v-drive
02-13-2004, 05:35 PM
I didn't want to be rude but I always thought Ducky used to work for him. Guess we know why he was so willing to jump on Barn.
Hurry back Barney.;) v-drive