PDA

View Full Version : new tow rig?

dirtman
01-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Hey all, I'm getting into a new tow rig for my 26 ft. 5th wheel and boat. Looking at an '04 Dodge 2500 with the cummins. Any complaints from current owners? Or pros/cons?
Turns out that I should have researched a little bit when I bought my Ford F 250 SD. It's puking out one spark plug on a regular basis. Ran out of warranty and the cost to fix one heli coil is WAY out of line, just to maybe have the other 9 go for shit!!

jackpunx
01-27-2004, 12:59 PM
So the Ford is over 3 years old?.. What year is it?.. SVT will chime in here.. he is our resident Dodge spokesperson :D

Outnumbered
01-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by dirtman
Hey all, I'm getting into a new tow rig for my 26 ft. 5th wheel and boat. Looking at an '04 Dodge 2500 with the cummins. Any complaints from current owners? Or pros/cons?
Turns out that I should have researched a little bit when I bought my Ford F 250 SD. It's puking out one spark plug on a regular basis. Ran out of warranty and the cost to fix one heli coil is WAY out of line, just to maybe have the other 9 go for shit!!
I know most people on these boards bag on the Dodge but I have a 2003 4x4 2500 Cummins with 15,000 miles and its been a good truck. The mid 90s dodges had brake problems and the pre 2002 had tranny issues but the new ones are pretty good. Stay away from the HEMI because the 5 speed auto behind it is too weak. Its the same one as the Durango and 1/2 tons use. The Cummins uses the new 4speed auto that is pretty stout. Someone on this board had to lemon a Hemi for a failed tranny.
Look on all the truck boards and you will find the least issues with the new Dodge, followed by GM, and then Ford. Check the camper boards, the guys towing 35 foot TTs, and they run Dodge most of the time.
The advantage to the GM/Ford is they ride smoother and have a bigger back seat. The Dodge advantage is a bullet proof motor and axles, higher ride and easier to lift, shorter=easier to park, and cheaper price.
OL

dirtman
01-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Yes, it's a '99. Been a real good truck right up to 62,000 miles.
I'd appreciate any input on this Dodge. Like I said, I want to research it a little better this time! They want lots of money for these trucks and I think it merits a little bit of thought. ( very unlike me to think things thru!! )

dirtman
01-27-2004, 01:19 PM
Hey Old Lavey thanks for the comments. I had a '94 Dodge short box before this ford and liked it a lot. It was ok to pull my previous trailer, but not near enough truck to pull the 5 th wheel. Now I want to pull the 5th wheel and the boat behind it, so will require a bit of hp I think.
Did you do anything with the exhaust on yours? There was a guy at the dealership yesterday and his sounded like crap. The one I'm looking at is quiet.

CA Stu
01-27-2004, 01:24 PM
01 2500 owner here.
Get the Cummins, you'll love it.
Good luck
CA Stu

Outnumbered
01-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Hey Old Lavey thanks for the comments. I had a '94 Dodge short box before this ford and liked it a lot. It was ok to pull my previous trailer, but not near enough truck to pull the 5 th wheel. Now I want to pull the 5th wheel and the boat behind it, so will require a bit of hp I think.
Did you do anything with the exhaust on yours? There was a guy at the dealership yesterday and his sounded like crap. The one I'm looking at is quiet.
The new Cummins is very quiet for a diesel. Its quieter than the Ford and GM. The old Cummins is very noisey and, again, the reputaion is hard to shake. Mine is all stock. I can tell you that the Cali version is screwed up due to emissions but easily fixable with a power module. I'm hoping to do mine soon but it has plenty of power for my boat and Jeep. Find out if you can get the HO in your area. It will save you about $500 or so in computer mods to get the same power from an SO or California version.
OL

dirtman
01-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Ok, thanks for taking the time guys. Going into the dealership now and will ask about the HO. $500 is lots of gas in the boat!!

Outnumbered
01-27-2004, 02:34 PM
Ok, thanks for taking the time guys. Going into the dealership now and will ask about the HO. $500 is lots of gas in the boat!!
Unfortunately, the HO is not a free upgrade. I think the HO has a sticker about $700 higher than the SO. But its better to get a factory HO and then upgrade from there if you want.
I guess my info was a little confusing.
OL

bigq
01-27-2004, 05:09 PM
I just wanted third what OL and Stu said. I have an 04 2500 Cummins. So far I love it.
The new 600 is the only one they offer now, guess there could be some SO motors on the lot though.

CA Stu
01-27-2004, 05:55 PM
I plan to keep my 01 until the wheels fall off. I'm looking to get a million miles out of it :D It's all hooked up with leather, heated seats, 8 way power seats, etc. etc. I really really like my Dodge.
Thanks
CA Stu

DogHouse
01-27-2004, 06:18 PM
I have an 04 2500 DC HO 6-spd. 5k+ miles and zero issues so far. Initial quality much better than either of the new GMs I've owned. I really like this truck, fits me perfect. I especially like getting 18-19 mpg around town and better on the highway. Tows great too. No complaints...

LAST DANCE
01-27-2004, 08:40 PM
I went from a 02 Chev Z71 (also a great truck) to a GMC 2500 4x4 crew cab diesel. The ride, the power,its the cats ass....
Get one you'll love it....

Mandelon
01-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Try missboatnam, she works at a dodge dealer. The Dodge looks like a winner to me too.

dirtman
01-28-2004, 04:36 PM
I think I have it narrowed down to the Dodge 2500 with a cummins HO. I'll attach a scan of the brochure with the engine specs.

Mike67rs
01-30-2004, 07:25 PM
You will be very happy with the Cummins, especially the new 325/600 50 state motor. I have an 03 2500 4x4 with the Cummins. Check this site forum for lots of good info. Mike
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/index.php

dirtman
02-27-2004, 08:17 PM
Ok...finally nailed it down to an '04 Dodge 3500 quad cab short box. Cummins, limited slip rear diff, loaded up.
The Ford F 250 that I had was pushing the weight envelope when we loaded up. (1440 lb pin wt., extra gas, propane, toolbox etc)
This one oughta do the trick. They have it inside at the dealership bolting on the extras (tube running boards, stainless stuff for the front end, chrome dealios over the wheel wells etc) and it should be done by noon tommorrow. Will post pics later.

STV_Keith
02-27-2004, 08:28 PM
You got the best truck on the market. Did you get the 6-speed?

Jordy
02-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by STV_Keith
You got the best truck on the market.
He never even mentioned the Duramax. ;)
I did smoke a Cummins up a big ass hill today pullin' 6K or so with a trailer and a Detroit 12V-71. He wanted to play and was only pullin' a little trailer and a 4x4 quad... His dually just disappeared out of my mirrors... cya. :D :D :D

bigq
02-27-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
He never even mentioned the Duramax. ;)
I did smoke a Cummins up a big ass hill today pullin' 6K or so with a trailer and a Detroit 12V-71. He wanted to play and was only pullin' a little trailer and a 4x4 quad... His dually just disappeared out of my mirrors... cya. :D :D :D
most of us Cummins drivers are nice that way, we know how sensitive you duramax guys are.:D
Nothing worse than seeing a grown man cry.:cry: :D

Kilrtoy
02-27-2004, 10:46 PM
most of us Cummins drivers are nice that way, we know how sensitive you duramax guys are. Nothing worse than seeing a grown man cry.
LOL:eek: :D :eek:

Jordy
02-27-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by bigq
most of us Cummins drivers are nice that way, we know how sensitive you duramax guys are.:D
Nothing worse than seeing a grown man cry.:cry: :D
That's funny, because he tried to pull ahead for just a second too, he must have really been playing me... :rolleyes: :D

dirtman
02-28-2004, 06:10 PM
I got the automatic. I shift gears all day during my busy season and don't really care to on my own time.:D
You guys are right.....this truck kicks ass!!! I can herdly wait to hook up the trailer and boat and get out of town!!!

SoCalOffshore
03-15-2004, 08:35 AM
I think the Dodge is a great truck. But, the ride is quite hand and the back seat is small. Cummins is a great engine, I have one in my motor home and a Duramax in my truck. :D

dirtman
03-21-2004, 08:52 PM
The one ton is a little rougher than the 3/4 ton ford, but I can live with that. Never had a quad cab before, so can't compare, but the only one that uses it is the "bitch":D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/showphoto.php?photo=5265&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=998