PDA

View Full Version : insurance question

shadow
01-27-2004, 04:50 PM
just got notice of non renwal for insurance. due to underwritting reasons.been with them 2yr,s.they never asked hull type,i never
offered.this must be the reason.anybody have insurance company,s they would recomend?i,m still covered till april but the last time it took awhile to find a carrier.

CEO
01-27-2004, 04:56 PM
Lying is the worst thing you can do. If you lie about the hull, you will given them your cash for no reason. You won't be covered. No ands, ifs, or butts

25Elmn8r
01-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Be up front with them and never lie!
Try Marty Ragman at Charter Lakes 714.969.2418
He is a boater and a good guy. He got me my insurance at a better price than I could find anywhere.

shadow
01-27-2004, 05:04 PM
didn't lie they never asked. definately want to be covered if i ever need it.who's got decent rates for cats? thanks!

Kachina26
01-27-2004, 07:27 PM
Allstate has been good to me:D

Jordy
01-27-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Kachina26
Allstate has been good to me:D
Allstate won't cover "performance boats." That includes 99% of the cats out there. They have a list of boats that they consider high performance that they work off and as of a couple years ago just about every major manufacturer was listed or had models next to the name that they wouldn't cover. :D

Blown 472
01-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by jordanpaulk
Allstate won't cover "performance boats." That includes 99% of the cats out there. They have a list of boats that they consider high performance that they work off and as of a couple years ago just about every major manufacturer was listed or had models next to the name that they wouldn't cover. :D
Jordy, you a insurance guy in a previous life?

Mohavekid
01-27-2004, 08:51 PM
Most of the big name type companies want nothing to do with a "performance cat".
As JP posted, if your boat is on the "list" they won't underwrite it, unless you have an in with underwriter and can get them to bend their underwriting rules for you. If your agent is a big producer for a particular company, they may have enough juice to get it done.
Your best bet will be a specialty insurer.
Good luck.

Jordy
01-27-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Blown 472
Jordy, you a insurance guy in a previous life?
Nope. I've just run the gammet to get my boat covered. There were a few loopholes. My buddy got his Skater covered because it's listed on the registration as a Douglas Marine and while Skater is in the black list book, Douglas isn't. Whether or not he'd be covered if anything happened is another story.

mbrown2
01-27-2004, 08:54 PM
Call Devin Wozencraft 714-263-2626...He is a Farmers Agent, but can get Markel or Ace as well for Cats...He was able to match the big east coast guys when I got insurance for our boat.

shadow
01-28-2004, 06:59 AM
thanks for the info and names and #'s i'll check around and let you know of any that are good or will cover me.my policy doesn't expire till april.alot may change between now and then.

little rowe boat
01-28-2004, 09:42 AM
Try leisurecraft,I believe they are out of Newport beach. Good luck

STGP
01-28-2004, 01:39 PM
Call LowB (Steve) he is on this board and a good friend of mine. He is an insurance broker and handles all of my insurance. Got me the best rate on my 28' Magic Deck with a 496HO.
800-679-3631

miketsouth
01-28-2004, 01:58 PM
My experience so far is the phrase 'tunnel hull' (Cat/multihull) combined with anything less than 26' at any horsepower or configuration meets with the immediate or eventual response 'no'. . I sent as much documentation as i could to many agents to try to get a 300hp 19' P/F Jet with TT exhausts. Answer 'no' or 'no market'. My Allstate agent, contrary to many reports on this board, has treated me quite fairly. She went WAY out of her way to try to get my boat underwritten. No Dice.
In my queries i spoke with lots of agents who knew EXACTLY what i was talking about and even would discuss various properties of jets, motors, cams, etc. I also spoke with even more who didnt know mud from shoepolish. Same thing. "No".
One agent, one of them who knew EXACTLY what i was talking about, even suggested ways to try to defer responsibility.
If someone finds out different, please post it. To have a P/F i was willing to have a mild one, just to get liability insurance.
mikeT