PDA

View Full Version : Arneson Surface Drive

Kahuna
01-27-2004, 07:10 PM
I did not see any boats using surface drives and wondered why donÂ’t more people use them instead of Bravo or IMCO drives. Arneson makes a conversion kit so you can fit their Surface Drive ASD6 Unit in place of a conventional I/O Unit. One guy replaced his standard I/O with the surface drive on a 18 foot Dozi and went 110mph. It seams like there would be a lot less things to go wrong on the unit.

FastTimmy
01-27-2004, 08:00 PM
My bud is doing a conversion on his 22' daytona. The first main thing is that he needs to drop the engine about 3" in the boat. Not a real problem for him because his exhaust goes over his transom but whould suck for us..
I will be thinking about it and making a decision after his is done..
Timmy

Jordy
01-27-2004, 08:37 PM
This has been brought up in the past, and I do recall price being a major factor. Granted the entry level Arneson is half of what a #6 costs, but also 3 or so times what the average Bravo will run. Seems like the starting package was at the top side of $15K and that's before you figure in the labor for getting everything switched over and hooked up.

BADBLOWN572
01-27-2004, 09:13 PM
The major problem with the Arneson drive is that the prop is exposed and is sharp. They are great for race boats when people are never in the water around the rear of the boat, but in the chanel or somewhere that people will be swimming, they are a huge liability for cuts.

Jordy
01-27-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by BADBLOWN572
The major problem with the Arneson drive is that the prop is exposed and is sharp.
That does come in handy if you want to slice up some deli meat and make a sandwich in a big hurry. ;) :D

Havasu Hangin'
01-27-2004, 09:23 PM
I looked at them when I rebuilt my transom.
Like BADBOYCLUB283 said...there is less cavitation plate and the prop is farther out and shallower.
Any swimming behind the boat (let alone trying to get up a swimstep) would require a first aid kit nearby. Also, I don't imagine it would be fun on a tube or wakeboard behind the roost.
So I guess I'd think hard if putting it in a (disfunctional)family boat.
And then there's the price.
Other than that, they're great!

UnionJack
01-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Tell me about the RHINO

PerfectionDtail
01-27-2004, 09:33 PM
They also work good for use as a blender behind your boat. Something about jumping off the boat into a blender I don't like. Seems much more reliable though.

bordsmnj
01-27-2004, 10:29 PM
.....and then there's the price of a decent prop for the surface drive. they start at just over a grand i think. also after looking at their site i'm pretty sure i wouldn't see the kind of gains that donzi did. i'd gain just as much(if not more) by getting a whipple charger hyd. steering and tabs. -and have ten grand leftover

Craig
01-28-2004, 04:01 AM
FastTimmy,
Let us know how that Daytona turns out, a bunch of folks will be real curious :) Really in the long run it may be a good option even if I'd have to fill in the ceneter sponson notch. Figure you could make some kind of floating cover for the prop when you're anchored. Just have to remember to remove it before you take off :eek:

Havasu Hangin'
01-28-2004, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by UnionJack
Tell me about the RHINO
What happens at the Rhino...stays at the Rhino.
However, I will say that they do have a well-kept secret...
...Brittany Spears works there. That's right...not kidding. Oh, she doesn't use her real name...but it's her.

dimarcobros
01-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by FastTimmy
My bud is doing a conversion on his 22' daytona. The first main thing is that he needs to drop the engine about 3" in the boat. Not a real problem for him because his exhaust goes over his transom but whould suck for us..
I will be thinking about it and making a decision after his is done..
Timmy
Timmy -
Is that Shawn's boat you are talking about? If so when is he doing it? That boat already hauls ass!
DMB

fourspeednup
01-28-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
What happens at the Rhino...stays at the Rhino.
However, I will say that they do have a well-kept secret...
...Brittany Spears works there. That's right...not kidding. Oh, she doesn't use her real name...but it's her.
Got 86'ed at the Santa Barbara one:frown:

Havasu Cig
01-28-2004, 02:23 PM
If you guys go on Offshoreonly.com there was a recent thread about Arneson's, and the owner of Arneson Industries had some pretty good post on it.
The thread is "Gladiator or Skater". The owners screen name is "Rik". I agree with the safety issue of swimming around the boat to be the only negative.

Havasu Cig
01-28-2004, 03:00 PM
Here is the thread.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67718

Just Tool'n
01-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Maybe Charley, Or Grass Pay$ need to really look into this drive setup.
Hell I bet IMCO could make a retractable swim plat-form & Propguard all in one type of combo that once the motor was turned off, out would come the fully retractable swimplatform & propguard. Now Joey could put all the power he really wants in a boat & keep the family safe at the same time. :)

GEOO
02-18-2004, 07:40 PM
It works for me.. ;) Rik at Arneson Industries was a big help in setting up my boat.

DogHouse
02-18-2004, 08:38 PM
If I were building a boat purely for speed then the Arneson would be the ticket. For all around family lake and ski duty, I don't think they're the way to go. Guess it just depends on what you're doing with your boat.
-brian

Scream
02-18-2004, 08:56 PM
I don't think I'd want to be swimming in the same LAKE with that damn thing chopping away.
JEEZUS. That is a wicked looking device.

Havasu Hangin'
02-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Ya gotta love an 18' boat with a huge roost at 100MPH...
...and a small block, no less.

Tom Brown
02-18-2004, 09:24 PM
I would guess an Arneson will handle similar to an outboard with a propshaft jacked to the surface. In other words, extremely poorly. Also, I understand low speed handling around docks and such is practically nonexistent. Don't forget you'll need a transmission if you want reverse.
The simplicity and high x dimension is super compelling, though. They make drives with a Mercury propshaft now that can take surfacing outboard props so that's no big deal either.
I really don't get the safety issue. Are they really that much nastier than any other prop system? At least the prop is up where you can see it.

Havasu Hangin'
02-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Tom Brown
I really don't get the safety issue. Are they really that much nastier than any other prop system? At least the prop is up where you can see it.
The prop location is higher (and the prop diameter is bigger) and farther back than an outdrive. Also, notice how there is little or no cavitation plate? With a normal outdrive, the cavitation acts like a guard.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/74This_boat_sucks.jpg
I step on mine to get onto the swimsteps.

riverman1975
02-18-2004, 09:44 PM
i guy here in iowa runs arsen drives on his skater. they have a 40 skater with (2) 1200 plus blown motors that run over 178mph. maybe you have seen the bad girl in hot boats before. i think they are looking to set the offshore record or something. they now fabicate and sell custom build motors for race boats. i heard they did the peir 57 boat last summer.

Tom Brown
02-18-2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Havasu Hangin'
The prop location is higher (and the prop diameter is bigger) and farther back than an outdrive. Also, notice how there is little or no cavitation plate? With a normal outdrive, the cavitation acts like a guard.
I step on mine to get onto the swimsteps.
Some models have rudders on each side of the prop.
http://arneson-industries.com/ASD8S.jpg
I always step on the cavitation plate to get into my boat too. It seems dangerous to me but it's the only way at the moment.

Boatlesss
02-20-2004, 05:12 PM
I believe they have made a cover for the propeller now on the newer drive models which should help in case someone slipped off the back of the boat and accidentally fell onto the drive units.
Personally, if I was afraid of getting bit by the shark, I'd not swim in the water near them. Same goes for the outboards (every trip one of the bimbo's cuts her foot on the outboards propellers) and Bravo's. A cav plate does no good from the sides or bottom when one is swimming.
There's plenty of water away from the back of the boat!

al cole'holic
02-20-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Boatlesss
I believe they have made a cover for the propeller now on the newer drive models which should help in case someone slipped off the back of the boat and accidentally fell onto the drive units.
..case in point :D
..but then again, where else would I be able to get a "prop check" tattoo? :p

Boatlesss
02-21-2004, 12:38 AM
For me, I could care less what's on the back of the boat as long as it is reliable and fast.
Everyone here wants more performance but then cries over the smallest detail. Swimming and performance boating are not exactly the first two things that come to mind although safety is a concern diving off the stern of a boat is not a smart thing to do regardless of which drive is on the boat.
As I stated earlier, I know more problems with the outboards (300xÂ’s) than any other drive I or my friends might have.

Wet1
02-21-2004, 08:54 AM
I don't see why many are posting comments about the props. Don't know about you guys, but the cleavers on the back of my cat are HIDDEN under the water and VERY sharp. I'd prefer that they were at the surface so they could be seen (avoided more easily).
If money were no object, I'd take a good surface drive system over anything offered by Merc!